The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6461826 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3025 on: 22/01/2009 00:31:09 »

Remember, everyone laughed and discounted [POIS] on the internet? That wasn't good.

WOW. I really didn't know that. I'm glad I didn't see that! (My head was in the sand back then) My insecurities about "it's only me and my [highly questionable] POIS" would've blossomed and I would've retreated to "See? There's no hope!"

"you know, I'm free, it won't happen this time"-----WRONG----Curses, Spoiled Again

EVERY SINGLE TIME...I told myself the same thing: "This time it will be different" (btw, = the definition of insanity).

My stupidity? Nah. Just extreme denial.
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 00:38:59 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: 22/01/2009 00:35:17 »

I considered myself a victim of an absurd hoax, punished for doing something natural and enjoyable.

For a long time, I considered myself a "guilty party" getting his just rewards. From early religious teachings.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: 22/01/2009 01:54:40 »
Today I had my follow up with the CFS doctor/endocrinologist. Here's the scoop.

My MULTI BLOOD TEST RESULTS indicate that I am LOW in almost all the hormones I've tested, or at best
in the lower range of normal. This includes thyroid (of course)---even after the three months of Ashwaghanda
supplementation, it is still NOT OPTIMAL. Cortisol also, still too low. Testosterone, DHEA, estrogen--all too low.
I am supposed to begin a bio-identical hormone treatment as soon as I can get the prescriptions filled. I will start
with thyroid and cortisol first.

This doctor's take about my POIS was that it's not possible to conclude right now EXACTLY what would be causing the
fatigue after orgasm--due to the fact that I have so many hormones in a NON-optimal range. So no definitive answers
on that yet. We'll see what happens... I will definitely keep you posted.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: 22/01/2009 05:22:35 »
operation concentration did not succeed - I had to super force myself to focus in classes.
Memory seems to be still shaken
I was able to conversate though but without any jokes but that was cool.
I was able to feel that high you get from exercise.

ON NE good luck with that.
I tried sleeping using a  bottle but brain orgasm will get yah.

How does five hour energy shot feel during POIS
I used it once(decaf) during pois. It made me talk all day but didn't fix memory problems and concentration. 

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: 22/01/2009 05:40:23 »
Girlwind - Telling results!  Does that mean something - all your hormones were below normal?  I've taken several hormone tests and...they've all been moderately below normal too.  I get prolactin results back tomorrow...I'll share them.

I also remember reading Demo's results were all below normal.

Can anyone else here relate?

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: 22/01/2009 05:56:17 »
Well I am about to finish my THIRD bottle of Relora (each last one month if you take three per day).  I have had an orgasm about everyday! Also, I never had that "craving" or empty feeling that I used to after orgasm that made me want to keep doing it over and over and over. 

I can control myself now.  When I get the urge I do it, that simple. I have tried abstaining; It's not that hard. But after a day or two the urge becomes strong and I eventually have an orgasm.

The MOST AMAZING part is that during the past three months I have NOT, THANK GOD!!!!, NOT felt the kind of mental depression and misery that I used to feel.  I don't know if I am now acting "normal," because I forgot how that used to feel after 5 or 6 years of such horrible separation from "normal." But I feel great and at peace with myself for once. I no longer worry about the effects of orgasm.

Also, Iam not sure if it is good that I am so dependent on Relora.  If I had enough money I would buy enough to last me the rest of my life. :)

I can't be sure that Relora is the cause; It could be a placebo? or even the vitamins I take daily.  All I know is that I DONT feel how I used to after orgasm.  THERE IS HOPE FOR ALL!!!!!!

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: 22/01/2009 05:58:36 »
Forgot to mention... Caffine from Mountain Dews does have a noticable effect.  I am not sure to what extent, but it seems that caffine and Relora don't mix well.

Offline Pro

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: 22/01/2009 07:39:07 »
I used to use DMAE long before finding this forum. It didn't seem to combat the POIS, but rather just give me a little mental boost to fight the brain-fog...kinda like how cold medicine just masks the symptoms of the cold.

Sounds great to me. Time to quadruple my DMAE dosage.
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 07:41:06 by Pro »

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: 22/01/2009 15:01:02 »
Well I am about to finish my THIRD bottle of Relora (each last one month if you take three per day).  I have had an orgasm about everyday! Also, I never had that "craving" or empty feeling that I used to after orgasm that made me want to keep doing it over and over and over. 

I can control myself now.  When I get the urge I do it, that simple. I have tried abstaining; It's not that hard. But after a day or two the urge becomes strong and I eventually have an orgasm.

The MOST AMAZING part is that during the past three months I have NOT, THANK GOD!!!!, NOT felt the kind of mental depression and misery that I used to feel.  I don't know if I am now acting "normal," because I forgot how that used to feel after 5 or 6 years of such horrible separation from "normal." But I feel great and at peace with myself for once. I no longer worry about the effects of orgasm.

Also, Iam not sure if it is good that I am so dependent on Relora.  If I had enough money I would buy enough to last me the rest of my life. :)

I can't be sure that Relora is the cause; It could be a placebo? or even the vitamins I take daily.  All I know is that I DONT feel how I used to after orgasm.  THERE IS HOPE FOR ALL!!!!!!

Tarkington--
Could the plant extracts that constitute Relora serve as a sedative or relaxant that has blunted the "craving" you talk about?  It sounds like the compulsiveness to engage in a certain behaviour significantly diminishes. Could the extracts in Relora act as a type of inhibitory mechanism to balance out whatever may cause compulsive behaviour and the resultant depression. I have a bottle or Relora on my desk, but I have not tried it yet.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: 22/01/2009 15:34:24 »
operation concentration did not succeed - I had to super force myself to focus in classes.
Memory seems to be still shaken
I was able to conversate though but without any jokes but that was cool.
I was able to feel that high you get from exercise.

ON NE good luck with that.
I tried sleeping using a  bottle but brain orgasm will get yah.

How does five hour energy shot feel during POIS
I used it once(decaf) during pois. It made me talk all day but didn't fix memory problems and concentration. 

CCconfucius, sorry you didn't have better results, but I love the name "Operation Concentration" :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: 22/01/2009 15:44:02 »

Tarkington, great news! Don't worry about "Relora forever", a solution will become apparent eventually.

And if it's a placebo, enjoy it :D
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 16:00:43 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: 22/01/2009 15:54:45 »
Forgot to mention... Caffine from Mountain Dews does have a noticable effect.  I am not sure to what extent, but it seems that caffine and Relora don't mix well.

My only concern with relora is that pharmacies don't have it in their "interaction effects" system so it's hard to tell what it's bad to mix with, Rx or OTC. Some previous posts about relora:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=relora+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 19:59:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: 22/01/2009 16:19:43 »

I also remember reading Demo's results were all below normal.

Limejuice, the testosterone was low and prolactin was sky-high.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: 22/01/2009 16:21:39 »

Time to quadruple my DMAE dosage.

Pro, I hope you're careful and getting good health care advice!
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 18:15:44 by demografx »

Offline tarkington

• View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: 22/01/2009 16:46:34 »

Tarkington--
Could the plant extracts that constitute Relora serve as a sedative or relaxant that has blunted the "craving" you talk about?  It sounds like the compulsiveness to engage in a certain behaviour significantly diminishes. Could the extracts in Relora act as a type of inhibitory mechanism to balance out whatever may cause compulsive behaviour and the resultant depression. I have a bottle or Relora on my desk, but I have not tried it yet.

underwater,
Relora definitely acts to relax me throughout the day. For me the relaxation is not that strong.

With regards to orgasm, it seems that Relora prevents a high release of cortisol after orgasm.  The craving that I was referring to was always present after I felt a "buring warmth" in my body following orgasm which has been associated with the release of chemicals -- its hard to describe, but after that happened I felt compelled to have another orgasm.  That is the craving I was refering to.  Relora has gotten rid of that craving. My libido or sexual energy does not seem to be affected by Relora.  I still maintain a high sexual drive.

So it's interesting to see that I was addicted to having an orgasm after an orgasm, but Relora has gotten rid of that addictive behavior that I felt.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: 22/01/2009 17:54:39 »

...I was addicted to having an orgasm after an orgasm...

Horrible feeling for me! Someone here (sorry forgot who) said it very well: " During early POIS, I still feel like I'm 'in sex' "

Sadly (it's not a good feeling), that rings true for me.
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 18:11:56 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: 22/01/2009 18:13:49 »
Forum tech disruptions

Everyone is frustrated, I've written complaints.

For now, hitting the "Refresh" button is all I can suggest! :(

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: 22/01/2009 20:40:32 »
Tarkington, I'm really interested in any other changes you may have made and have continued, within months of when you started taking relora. e.g. exercise, diet, etc.  Also, it would be helpful to know the specifics of your condition (symptoms, how long you've had it, etc.), if you are willing to share this information.  Did you get my private message?
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 20:45:31 by Counterpoints »

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: 22/01/2009 20:53:09 »
Tip to all readers:
If you click on the person's name (for example Tarkington) and then click 'read last posts of this person' you can read many messages this person has posted.

I did this with Tarkington and it is amazing; I read this forum everyday and still there were many posts I couldn't remember having read them.

I was struck Tarkinton did have so much in common with my case; the feeling at the start of pois, the insomnia, the not having hunger the next day. So, I have ordered Relora as well. Tarkington on your site it is mentioned twice (one 7 dollar and one for 6 dollar; I can't see the difference; anyway I took your type (7). I also ordered at a Dutch site, so can report on that later as well.

Technical problems: have not encountered them yet here in Holland. I have made a full back-up of this forum. If anything happens to the site Demo, you have my e-mail so we can put it back up then.
« Last Edit: 22/01/2009 20:59:10 by rock27 »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: 22/01/2009 21:42:15 »
Blood Test Results:

An endocrine revieled my blood work results:

Testosterone - Normal
Prolactin - Normal
TSH - Moderately high 5.9

I showed her the POIS study and asked her for other possible ideas what is causing POIS.  She only recommended me to another doctor, "you've exhusted endocrine, check with a urologist."

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: 23/01/2009 00:05:43 »
Blood Test Results:

An endocrine revieled my blood work results:

Testosterone - Normal
Prolactin - Normal
TSH - Moderately high 5.9

I showed her the POIS study and asked her for other possible ideas what is causing POIS.  She only recommended me to another doctor, "you've
exhusted endocrine, check with a urologist."

Wow! That is a really high TSH. I have read that "Recommendations from the American Association of Clinical
Endocrinologists now encourage
doctors to consider treatment for patients who test outside a narrower normal
range of .3 to 3.0."
(SOURCE: Mary Shomon--Living Well With Hypothyroidism) Some thyroid doctors draw the line
at 2.0, and one doctor (Bruce Rind) has found the "optimal range" of his healthiest patients to be btwn 1.3--1.8.

You might want to get a Free T3, Free T4, TPO and Reverse T3 to check out any potential thyroid issues. I had no idea
that I had a thyroid problem until I had all those tests, and now FINALLY I know. After 30 years of being left UN-diagnosed.
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 00:14:31 by girlwind »

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: 23/01/2009 00:43:14 »
Observation Re: POIS Symptoms
I have been thinking that isolating "predominant-primary" symptoms of POIS may be much more important than I first thought. From my reading now for many weeks, it appears that extreme exhaustion and a breakdown in concentration are at least two of these. For some of us however, orgasm may trigger a different group of "primary" symptoms, thus suggesting that orgasm influences other related or independent disorders, without "lining up" with the "predominant-primary" symptoms of POIS. Therefore, the focus of solutions may vary. Perhaps some sufferers need hormone therapy; others neurotransmitter intervention; others adrenal strengthening; others diet & exercise; others psychological assistance; others spiritual focus; others a combination.
In my view, POIS remains an apt description but perhaps with a broader understanding. 

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: 23/01/2009 01:00:17 »
Thank you Girlwind and Demo and others I haven't noticed (my apologies for any omissions) for sharing your expensive and time consuming lab results with us. I spent my money on spinal therapy, because my lower back ties in to my POIS and GAD. That is a long story. I'd share results, but they are inconclusive; except to say that spinal stimulation definitely helps me across the board. I'm still waiting for my GAD to be finally gone, but the fiend still lingers.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: 23/01/2009 01:11:54 »

Technical problems: have not encountered them yet here in Holland. I have made a full back-up of this forum. If anything happens to the site Demo, you have my e-mail so we can put it back up then.

Rock, you are a Wizard! I really appreciate your generous time backing this up. The problems now are minor and weird, but hopefully nothing will crash.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: 23/01/2009 01:30:05 »

I'm still waiting for my GAD to be finally gone, but the fiend still lingers.

I wish the GAD-Fiend a swift death, Underwater! :)
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 02:28:10 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3049 on: 23/01/2009 01:30:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums