The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6460357 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3050 on: 23/01/2009 02:59:37 »
Blood Test Results:

An endocrine test revealed my blood work results:

Testosterone - Normal
Prolactin - Normal
TSH - Moderately high 5.9

I showed her the POIS study and asked her for other possible ideas what is causing POIS.  She only recommended me to another doctor, "you've exhusted endocrine, check with a urologist."

What nonsense! Limejuice, her reaction didn't feel right to me. At all! She didn't have a recommended "next step" for high TSH??

I had no luck with several top urologists in a major city. I would try another endocrinologist and ask for more extensive tests. Email them Waldinger's paper, then ask "Think you can help?" Go with the endo with the most positive and logical answer. I know it's work, but worth it. Or ask a physician you trust to recommend one. My Harvard biophysics friend recommends that we try local university medical group endo's.

Low Testosterone (my previous urologists only looked at a crude measure of testosterone and said I was ok!) + Very High prolactin were MAJOR findings for me.

I'm now on testosterone patches and feel much better mood-wise (which 2 other physicians confirmed can be expected) just as a side benefit! I will soon re-test all of this PLUS CORTISOL:

MY ENDOCRINOLOGIST'S LABWORK ORDERED FOR POIS

Counterpoints asked which blood tests were ordered after my POIS evaluation appointment, so they are listed below. I just now got the list, and was dismayed that CORTISOL was not listed. So I asked the endocrinologist if it could yet be included with today's creatinine blood test (kidney function). Creatinine test is required for pre-MRI injection so MRI results can be shown "with and without contrast".

Out of reference range
-PROLACTIN

Extremely high (reason for MRI of the pituitary gland this week)

-TESTOSTERONE(Bioavailable Testosterone, Free Testosterone, Total Testosterone, Sex Hormone Globulin Binding)

"Free T" is low; others I don't have reference range on summary.

In reference range
-DHEA-SULFATE

-FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)

-LH (Luteinizing Hormone)

-TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone)

Well, let's see where this goes. I'm happy that this doctor is taking POIS seriously. This is what he decided after listening to my discussion about this forum, seeing Dr Waldinger's paper, and asking detailed questions about my medical history.

I didn't want to push specific testing requests any further than this. I'm not the doctor.
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 03:16:26 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: 23/01/2009 05:03:32 »
Limejuice,
You should look for an endocrinologist who has a hospital affiliation, or is known to do some research and reading.  A lot of endos (and physicians for that matter) are closed minded, and aren't intellectuals -- if something isn't very basic, they pass it on to someone else. But there are exceptions, and if you ask around, you will find the right person.  When you are introducing the problem to an endocrinologist, it would be worth mentioning that you have corresponded with someone who has almost an identical problem, and who was helped by an endocrinologist.

I have found an endocrinologist who focuses on adrenal problems, and is an academic.  Hopefully I will have some luck!  And I wish you luck in your search.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: 23/01/2009 06:25:16 »
Thanks for the concern and recommendation girlwind, demo, counterpoints, and others.  The endo did prescribe 50mgs of synthroid to treat the thyriod BUT as y'all know it's not the thyriod that really bothers me.

Time to look around.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: 23/01/2009 15:34:34 »
Limejuice--I would not underestimate the effect that low thyroid can have on POIS symptoms. I have definitely seen
improvement in both my POIS and CFS since I began addressing my hypothyroidism. Also, you should know there is
A LOT of controversy among both thyroid patients and expert thyroid doctors regarding the Synthroid medication--
which is a synthetic T4 ONLY thyroid remedy. Many patients have found they do better with Armour thyroid, which is
a natural thyroid remedy that's been around for a hundred years (made from pig thyroid), as it contains BOTH T4 and
T3. It all depends on where your thyroid deficiency lies. That's why it would be a good idea to have more extensive
blood tests done:  the Free T3, Free T4 and TPO (for thyroid antibodies), and Reverse T3. You'll get a much
more complete picture with a combo of all those tests.

PS  I've beeen trying to add some articles for you, but each time I do, what I've previously written prior gets erased. So
I just have these two for now. You might also check out Mary Shomon's website--she is the author of one of the best
books that I've read on thyroid--Living Well With Hypothyroidism.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/mercola.htm
http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/brownstein-hormones.htm

Offline msl

• View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: 23/01/2009 16:01:17 »
Hi guys, its been a while. For some reason I don't know where to place POIS anymore :S I have seen numerous doctors, an erectile dysfunction doctor and have been taking prozac for 1 or 2 years now to reduce the frequency of nocturnal emissions. After the erectile dysfunction consultant was unable to help, he referred me to a neurologist and a sexual psychotherapist.. yet the appointment letter has been lying on my desk for weeks now :/ months ago I would have lept at the oppertunity, but now I can't shake the thought "is this all in my head?" What do you guys think?

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: 23/01/2009 17:45:18 »
Hi guys, its been a while. For some reason I don't know where to place POIS anymore :S I have seen numerous doctors, an erectile dysfunction doctor and have been taking prozac for 1 or 2 years now to reduce the frequency of nocturnal emissions. After the erectile dysfunction consultant was unable to help, he referred me to a neurologist and a sexual psychotherapist.. yet the appointment letter has been lying on my desk for weeks now :/ months ago I would have lept at the oppertunity, but now I can't shake the thought "is this all in my head?" What do you guys think?

I don't think it's all in your head. There are real symptoms responding to the trigger of orgasm. Everybody is different, so just like any disorder, each person has a unique set of responses. Some people may find they have a similar cluster of symptoms, others more random. It seems like this disorder is rare, and since it involves sex and orgasm, its not the most comfortable subject. There is no way we can avoid at least considering psychological conditions, because these may play a part. But as far as I can see, even if there are psychological components to POIS, there are real, biochemical and nervous system events taking place after orgasm. POIS must take place (logically) in the context of our whole, unique physiology, yet it clearly has a direct connection to sex, orgasm and "recovery" and, ipso facto, our mind too! Who in this forum can take their mind off of "sex/orgasm"? I bet that most sufferers here are "by nature" very sexual beings. We don't really discuss this much, but if it's true, it has to play at least some part in this condition.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: 23/01/2009 19:58:39 »

I have found an endocrinologist who focuses on adrenal problems, and is an academic.  Hopefully I will have some luck!

Counterpoints, sounds promising. Good luck!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: 23/01/2009 20:04:25 »

I can't shake the thought "is [POIS] all in my head?" What do you guys think?

Rapidgaming, good news! Reuniting posted the following New York Times (credible publication!) article by a NYC PSYCHIATRIST who says "it's NOT all in your head"!

"Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: 23/01/2009 20:11:50 »

Rapidgaming, Some of us are now leaning towards seeing an endocrinologist. Girlwind, Counterpoints, myself, maybe more.

The co-author of Dr Waldinger's original POIS study is an endocrinologist, so that helps establish credibility when you see him/her. If you don't have it already give Pyropeach your regular email address and ask for the PDF!
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 21:12:38 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: 23/01/2009 20:15:14 »
rapidgaming: I would see the neurologist you were referred to.  Mention that someone with this problem was found to have adrenalcortical carcinoma, and that another was found to have an empty sellum.  Say that those who have seen physicians who took the condition seriously, and followed up, have identified problems associated with the condition. (e.g. an empty sellum can affect cortisol and prolactin levels).  The neurologist would be able to advise you.  I would also look for an endocrinologist.

It also wouldn't hurt to hear the sexual psychotherapist out. He or she might have some really good advice.
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 20:35:50 by Counterpoints »

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: 23/01/2009 21:01:18 »
Counterpoints--
Good luck with your new physician's focus on the adrenal glands. It is great that he is an academic (not stuck in any particular mind set). Perhaps if we can find any "early (broken?) triggers", they may reside here.  My POIS symptoms - with particular focus on "recovery time frame" - expanded from 1-2 days in late 80s, 2-3 in mid 90's to what it is now. For me (and I may be totally wrong), the extent of nervous system (adrenal?) debilitation seems to be connected to my POIS episode. The years of suffering must have taken their collective toll. Could this accumulated "stress" have contributed to this time frame expansion? What is baffling is that some of us appear to have symptoms that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, if there is a spectrum. Some are just totally wiped out and seriously, cognitively impaired. I'm a bit amped up and depressed, and more irritable than cognitively impaired. What is the history of your "recovery time frame"? Or is this even relevant in your case?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: 23/01/2009 21:16:06 »
There is hope!

My endocrinologist liked the article from The New York Times! ;D

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: 23/01/2009 21:27:26 »
Forum tech disruptions

Everyone is frustrated, I've written complaints. AGAIN!

For now, hitting the "Refresh" button is all I can suggest! :(

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: 23/01/2009 21:40:40 »

It also wouldn't hurt to hear the sexual psychotherapist out. He or she might have some really good advice.

I agree. A sexual psychotherapist whom I contacted in 2002 didn't have an answer for POIS but 1) connected me to Dr. Waldinger and his paper when it came out. A major breakthrough for me: I now had a malady with a name that I could search that eventually led me to this forum, and 2) referred me to another sexual psychotherapist in Czechoslovakia who strongly believed in a POIS-testosterone connection, which I tested and continue to learn more about and in fact is my current big hope for some relief, which I have already seen in the form of positive mood change and 3) was able to assist Counterpoints in a small way with a potential forum researcher. So yes, they can help!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: 23/01/2009 21:56:35 »
B_Jim? Counterpoints? Others?

Lately, I've been wondering (don't ask me why though):

Is our mission as difficult as finding a cure for the common cold?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: 23/01/2009 21:58:38 »

We cross the 200 pois cases limit. Intersting dark circles eyes symptom . I will look this tommorow.

Terrific!

Counterpoints wrote recently that there are about 100 "unique" POIS cases. Why do we have so much duplication?

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: 23/01/2009 22:39:43 »
For me (and I may be totally wrong), the extent of nervous system (adrenal?) debilitation seems to be connected to my POIS episode. The years
of suffering must have taken their collective toll. Could this accumulated "stress" have contributed to this time frame expansion? What is baffling
is that some of us appear to have symptoms that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, if there is a spectrum. Some are just totally wiped out
and seriously, cognitively impaired.  I'm a bit amped up and depressed, and more irritable than cognitively impaired.

Underwater--In my case, I feel both amped up and exhausted at the same time. In fact, the more tired I am, the more restless I will
feel. This is noticable with both my worst POIS episodes and with my worst CFS days. It feels like driving with one foot on the gas and
one on the brakes, and getting nowhere. And yes, I think the ongoing stress (for me of chronic ill health) had a huge impact on both
my adrenals, and my nervous system, and my thyroid as well. In addition, I think it programmed me to feel this was "normal"--to be
so out of whack (buzzed up and exhausted at the same time). THis is why I deliberately stick to good "adrenal habits:" regular meals
and regular sleep--with an early bed time, and... hardest of all NO overdoing or compulsive activity. It can be very challenging, but
whenever I push myself, I pay for it. So I am learning how to be MODERATE. I think that was one of the inscriptions at Delphi, in addi-
tion to "Know Thyself"---"Nothing In Excess." A hard thing for modern westerners to embrace.
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 22:50:13 by girlwind »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: 23/01/2009 22:44:43 »

We cross the 200 pois cases limit. Intersting dark circles eyes symptom . I will look this tommorow.

Terrific!

Counterpoints wrote recently that there are about 100 "unique" POIS cases. Why do we have so much duplication?

I said about 100 cases for this specific forum.  I based that off of this: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

I think B_Jim is including other cases of POIS found on the internet, in the 200 figure.  This accounts for the discrepancy.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: 23/01/2009 22:48:18 »
There is hope!

Demo---
For me, I always have SSRI therapy in my back pocket as a last resort. This was my last suggestion to my psychiatrist six weeks ago. But I will avoid it at all costs. Recovery time frame (of POIS) is very important in my opinion. Preventing reuptake of Serotonin may help in fast recovery cases mentioned in the article. I'm not sure in protracted ones (2-4 days). I am much more cautious than the doctor when he states, "I would exploit the usually undesirable side effects of the SSRI for possible therapeutic effects."
It would be great if SSRI's helped anyone, I would jump for joy. But I would also be very saddened if, after weeks of waiting for "steady state", it caused added misery.
Having read hundreds of posts, I seem to recall that many contributors have tried SSRI's in the past (including me). But as I read them, many seem (including me) to have other conditions too. But yet as I write this, I'm not sure. POIS could be a multi-headed monster,the actual cause of other problems. Here's something I haven't stated: If I cure my GAD, I'm sure my POIS would diminish, no doubt. If I cured POIS, I'm sure my GAD would disappear. Yet I'm terrified to try an SSRI (again), for side effects scare the hell out of me.[I took Zoloft in 95', but it seemed to do nothing because I was taking it with a potent benzo,and I stopped the SSRI] But as I told my psychiatrist, it is a last resort, and I mean last. However I would feel like a complete moron if I try it down the road and it works! Maybe my GAD, OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and my POIS is just one, connected condition arising out of the physical fluke of orgasm, unrecognized and inconsequential as a teenager, but manifesting itself and growing to a disturbing disability during the course of a lifetime. Thanks for suggesting the article. I'll think good and hard about my SSRI option. What a  problem! But we will be happy when it is weakened and ultimately rendered harmless. But SSRI's are powerful and require careful, medical management.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: 23/01/2009 22:50:10 »
B_Jim? Counterpoints? Others?

Lately, I've been wondering (don't ask me why though):

Is our mission as difficult as finding a cure for the common cold?

Our mission may be more analogous to preventing a cold, rather than curing it.  Some abnormal process is triggered by orgasm.  Hopefully we can alter this process in some way so that we feel better.  It's hard for me to speculate though, without more data and studies.  Interesting analogy.
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 23:02:55 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: 23/01/2009 22:52:48 »
Thanks for the good wishes with the endocrinologist. 

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: 23/01/2009 23:29:41 »
Girlwind---
Thanks for your response--
I'm a bit frustrated as I wrote a question and a post to you that took over 20 minutes in its composition, and then it disappeared---------------------------
Oh Well-----------I generally operate by flow of consciousness, and I'll never be able to retrieve it, because I am not concrete sequential, I'm right hemisphere chaos.
You mentioned Delphi; I sailed on a boat called the Delphi in 1973 in the Gulf of California. It almost capsized! I survived, but I still don't know myself. However I remember an orgasm then and I was POIS free.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: 23/01/2009 23:43:52 »
Could this accumulated "stress" have contributed to this time frame expansion? What is baffling is that some of us appear to have symptoms that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, if there is a spectrum. Some are just totally wiped out and seriously, cognitively impaired. I'm a bit amped up and depressed, and more irritable than cognitively impaired. What is the history of your "recovery time frame"? Or is this even relevant in your case?

Thanks underwater.   It's hard for me to judge whether, on the whole, recovery time has gotten better or worse.  I've changed my habits so much over the years, and the severity of my symptoms have also changed very much in this time.  I could first orgasm at 13.5, and I first connected the symptoms to orgasm at about 14.5.  (I believe symptoms started at about 14).  When I made the connection, I immediately stopped masturbating.  For the next year, my symptoms followed a pattern.  NE.  1 day later I would feel normal again.  2 days later I would have another NE.

This cycle broke, and changed many times.  At my worst, the symptoms have taken a week to get better. (About 3 years ago).  At best, symptoms were mild, and gone within minutes, 90% of the time (about 1 year ago). 

As far as exhaustion, etc.  This changes somewhat, too. Usually there is brainfog.  If I have waited a long time between orgasms, heart palpitations, feeling really on edge, and energized (but in a really bad way) are usually prominent symptoms.  If I am having orgasm once/day, and I repeat this process for weeks, these symptoms are usually less prominent -- in fact, I am more likely to feel exhausted (so the opposite end of a spectrum).

It feels like my condition has oscillated between two extreme ends of a spectrum, and along the way, it has paused somewhere in the middle.  One thing I can say for sure though, is that recovery time (with me) is dependent on frequency of orgasm.  If I average 1 orgasm/week, it takes longer to recover after each orgasm, than if I average 1 orgasm/day. 
« Last Edit: 23/01/2009 23:50:02 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: 24/01/2009 00:21:20 »

I said about 100 cases for this specific forum.  I based that off of this: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

I think B_Jim is including other cases of POIS found on the internet, in the 200 figure.  This accounts for the discrepancy.

Thanks for the clarification!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: 24/01/2009 00:29:42 »
There is hope!

Demo---
For me, I always have SSRI therapy in my back pocket as a last resort. This was my last suggestion to my psychiatrist six weeks ago. But I will avoid it at all costs. Recovery time frame (of POIS) is very important in my opinion. Preventing reuptake of Serotonin may help in fast recovery cases mentioned in the article. I'm not sure in protracted ones (2-4 days). I am much more cautious than the doctor when he states, "I would exploit the usually undesirable side effects of the SSRI for possible therapeutic effects."
It would be great if SSRI's helped anyone, I would jump for joy. But I would also be very saddened if, after weeks of waiting for "steady state", it caused added misery.
Having read hundreds of posts, I seem to recall that many contributors have tried SSRI's in the past (including me). But as I read them, many seem (including me) to have other conditions too. But yet as I write this, I'm not sure. POIS could be a multi-headed monster,the actual cause of other problems. Here's something I haven't stated: If I cure my GAD, I'm sure my POIS would diminish, no doubt. If I cured POIS, I'm sure my GAD would disappear. Yet I'm terrified to try an SSRI (again), for side effects scare the hell out of me.[I took Zoloft in 95', but it seemed to do nothing because I was taking it with a potent benzo,and I stopped the SSRI] But as I told my psychiatrist, it is a last resort, and I mean last. However I would feel like a complete moron if I try it down the road and it works! Maybe my GAD, OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and my POIS is just one, connected condition arising out of the physical fluke of orgasm, unrecognized and inconsequential as a teenager, but manifesting itself and growing to a disturbing disability during the course of a lifetime. Thanks for suggesting the article. I'll think good and hard about my SSRI option. What a  problem! But we will be happy when it is weakened and ultimately rendered harmless. But SSRI's are powerful and require careful, medical management.

Underwater, thanks for highlighting the SSRI angle. I missed it. I was simply too overjoyed from seeing a _psychiatrist_ say that post-orgasmic problems are NOT all in the head. Too many of us have been shipped off to the shrink for POIS.

I have 20 years experience with a number of SSRI's and have personally seen little effect, EXCEPT for the very first year of Prozac in 1989. That was for depression. I saw no effect at all on my POIS.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3074 on: 24/01/2009 00:29:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums