The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6436839 times)

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3125 on: 26/01/2009 16:14:32 »
message from pois sufferer who fixed problem sounds eerily similar to Demografx situation

I had the following through blood, urine and saliva test results:

Low morning, afternoon Cortisol+low Dhea = Adrenal fatigue

Treatment : Medrol/Hydrocortisone & Dhea cream/Sublingually

Low Cortisol levels/adrenal fatigue usually indicates Thyroid problems

Free T3 : below mid range

Treatment : Armour

Low testosterone levels

Treatments :

1st: Testosterone replacement (Bad approach)
2nd: Testosterone natural boosting supplements (Negative)
3rd: Hcg+Hmg+Toco-8 plus increase of protein and less carbs, more red meat, fish and lots of cruciferous vegetables ie broccoli (Successful)

High prolactin levels

Cabaser/Cabergoline/Dostinex at dose of 1-2mg E2d lowered Prolactin to
within the lower 1/4 range. High prolactin levels means lower testosterone levels.By reducing
ones high prolactin levels it will naturally increase testosterone levels.

My advice would be to have your 4x saliva cortisol levels, dhea, total test+free/bio test,
prolactin, Estradiol(E2), SHBG & FSH+LH levels checked either through your local gp/dr or through an independant lab like ZRT, Quest etc

I also reimbalanced my neurotransmitter levels and this helped with the anxiety and overall nervousness feeling after an orgasm.Both my serotonin and gaba levels were below the level range.

This is how I cured my POIS and it most likely will not work for everyone but at least you can ask your Dr for a hormone check up and request the hormones above to be checked. If doc asks you why then you can either lie or tell him/her the truth about POIS :)

EVERYBODY--Please take a good look at this.

This is from the same guy (ex-POIS forum member) who helped me get a clue as to how to begin dealing with my many
hormonal imbalances. What is significant is that he had MULTI hormonal imbalances, as I do, and as I suspect many
other POIS sufferers may have as well. By addressing ALL of them, he was cured of POIS.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: 26/01/2009 17:07:22 »
good job everyone for following up on Jane Ashby,she might be a big clue.
Demografx nice letter short and to the point.

Thanks, CCconfucius. Only problem is that we might have written to the wrong Jane Ashby. This one is a psychologist but has no "sex" at all in her CV. I emailed the Program Chair, hopefully he'll clarify. My email was sent to a Jane Ashby at U of Mass., if anyone can confirm/deny that she is the April speaker.

I will see if the researcher has a way to contact jane ashby.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: 26/01/2009 17:56:28 »

I will see if the researcher has a way to contact jane ashby.

Thanks, CCc! The program chair hasn't responded to me.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: 26/01/2009 17:58:50 »

Demograpfx and  was wondering did you take your test during POIS or out of Pois.

The test was out-of-POIS, but only by a few days. It wasn't planned that way, it was just when I wanted to move forward and get the ball rolling.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: 26/01/2009 18:03:07 »
Welcome, mister_z!

Here are some forum resources which may be helpful:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video: A first!

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

mister_z, we're looking forward to more of your posts!

Offline deloun

• View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: 26/01/2009 18:44:35 »
deloun--
My "theoretical inclinations" with respect to POIS somehwat parallel what you have indicated in your last post i.e. neurotransmitter imbalance/s. However, to reinforce my inclinations (and I repeat these are just inclinations), would you be so kind as to list your symptoms from major to minor. The reason I ask this is due the fact that there is a clear spectrum of symptoms that have been identified in this forum. I have more of an amped up, anxiety response (with moderate fatigue)with insomnia, somewhat different than the majority of sufferers. With respect to POIS, based upon the totality of responses in this forum, it wouldn't surprise me if there were needed many different therapies and strategies depending on the symptoms. In fact, there are different approaches being taken by different memebers now. Also, some members have other underlying medical conditions which may complicate their POIS.

Yes, I agree that there seem to be differences in causes and solutions needed.

The POIS symptoms I suffer from are:
- tension (physically and mentally)
- nervousness
- (social) anxiety
- depression
- low self-confidence
- lower cognitive function and memory
- concentration problems
- tiredness
- flu-like symptoms
- mild insomnia
- mild diarrhea

It's a bit difficult to list them all in the order of major to minor, but about the first eight I listed are major.

All of them disappear after a period of sexual abstinence.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: 26/01/2009 19:05:50 »
Girlwind thank you for highlighting that post and when you took your hormone test were they during POIS or out of it.

I could have not had all that blood drawn (fifteen tubes!) during a POIS episode. I felt dizzy afterwards, even on a good day.
I should also let you know that the doctor(s) I am seeing work with MANY HORMONAL problems and CFS as well. They're very
skilled at interpreting THE OPTIMAL LEVELS of what the various hormones should be for one's particular sex and age group.
OPTIMAL RANGES for hormones are very different from the STANDARD "NORMAL" ranges.  As I have read and heard,
over and over again from many patients with hormonal issues, many doctors have missed the mark with both diagnosis and
treatment of hormone problems (thyroid, adrenals, gonadal hormones, etc...) because they have been too entrenched in the
dogma of "normal ranges". Over all, the anti-aging doctors have a better track record with patients with hormonal complaints.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: 26/01/2009 20:41:19 »
GW, what did you think of the article I posted that suggests a relationship between prolactin and CFS?

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: 26/01/2009 21:02:00 »
GW, what did you think of the article I posted that suggests a relationship between prolactin and CFS?

I wasn't able to open it. Can you copy and paste it into email and send me a PM of it?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: 26/01/2009 23:46:16 »
NE, day 1:

I am somewhat affected (with POIS) this time, as opposed to my previous NE episodes. What is different? I recently temporarily changed up my diet, giving up "goiterogenic" foods that I routinely eat: soy and broccoli. This could be relevant...but, soy is also high in choline....I just realized that fenugreek has choline in it.

I am wondering, has anyone tried choline as a supplement?

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: 27/01/2009 00:17:28 »
NE, day 1:

I am somewhat affected (with POIS) this time, as opposed to my previous NE episodes. What is different? I recently temporarily changed up my diet, giving up "goiterogenic" foods that I routinely eat: soy and broccoli. This could be relevant...but, soy is also high in choline....I just realized that fenugreek has choline in it.

A couple of years ago, in my battle against POIS, I tried supplementing with soy lecithin, which contains choline as one of its maim components.  It didn't seem to help me very much.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: 27/01/2009 03:48:42 »
deloun---
Thanks for your response. Tension, Nervousness (anxiety), Depression, Insomnia are also some of my main symptoms during POIS; different I think from the dominant symptoms of Extreme, Debilitating Fatigue and Major Inability to Focus/Concentrate. My anxiety disorder (when I have an active episode) creates the same symptoms as POIS, but it is never defined in a 3-4 day time frame as is POIS. Since my symptoms are the same, when I rid myself of "anxiety disorder" this time around (whenever the hell that is), I hope that my strategies can be applied to POIS. If my neurotransmitter focus fails, then I will have to refocus with more attention probably paid to hormones.  I'm very reticent to discuss specific experiments, because I don't think it's beneficial unless I can say with confidence that something helps me. In general, I'm experimenting with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, plant extracts, body hydration, exercise, breathing, and topical creams. 

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: 27/01/2009 04:46:16 »
NE, day 1:

I took Choline to improve brain function and memory.  I think it was choline Chloride. It helped mentally but It seemed to increase muscle stiffness similar to POIs for me,  So I stopped.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: 27/01/2009 10:49:23 »
3rd: Hcg+Hmg+Toco-8 plus increase of protein and less carbs, more red meat, fish and lots of cruciferous vegetables ie broccoli (Successful)

at the risk of sounding ignorant what are Hcg, Hmg, and Toco 8?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: 27/01/2009 15:38:55 »
I wasn't able to open it. Can you copy and paste it into email and send me a PM of it?

Girlwind, the prolactin article link required simple registration, so rather than PM, I'm posting a new article link. Other CFS sufferers lurking here may benefit!

Girlwind, you said that you haven't tested for prolactin, but maybe it could help you?

This new article states, similarly to the one below, "We found that CFS subjects show a higher prolactin response than controls..."
http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/iop/prt/cfs.htm

my original post to you (first article):
PROLACTIN AND CFS

Girlwind and other CFS-affected individuals here: this seemed like an intriguing link. It requires only simple registration, but here is the Google description:

"Baseline prolactin levels were the same in all three groups, but rose much faster and higher in the patients with CFS than in the other two groups after ..."
http://general-medicine.jwatch.org/cgi/content/full/1992/512/6

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: 27/01/2009 15:57:09 »

message from pois sufferer who fixed problem sounds eerily similar to Demografx situation

CCconfucius, it would help if "anonymous sufferer" would come forward and help the forum. I think some of us know who he is, and my review of an earlier post shows that the testosterone he used initially was indeed the wrong one! I confirmed that with my endocrinologist.

As a first "proven POIS cure" it would be nice to "give back to the community" by offering more interaction with us so we can learn more, i.e., how his case differs, how his case is similar to the rest of us.

B_Jim makes very good points below which would be very helpful if he could address it to us directly. Emphasis mine:

Congratulations to anonymous sufferer. I'm happy when some of us improve his condition.

But i'm worried because there are so many meds in this treatment.

Don't forget :

- A bloodtest must prove the deficiency is real.

- [medical professional cooperation] Only serious doctor take the decision to use these supplements.

- Adrenals should be cured before thryoid.

- Young Pois sufferers (under 30 years old) really should try natural therapy before hormones therapy. (diet ) . Young sufferers have a chance to self-restore their bodies. Sometime the organ is not ill but only tired by a bad lifestyle (diet, stress,...) Even if Pois may justify Dhea supplmenetation it shouldn't be taken under 35 years old.

- Hormones therapy side-effect :

When you use hormones the organ becomes "lazy" and stop to make his job. Remember the experience i posted with corticoids spray for allergic rhinitis. I prefer Agjchs approach  : he takes only 12mg Dhea after orgasm. Not every day.
But of course, some of us have a severe condition and Pois appears as a consequence of this.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: 27/01/2009 16:03:16 »

at the risk of sounding ignorant what are Hcg, Hmg, and Toco 8?

mister_z, not ignorant at all! This is another reason it would be  nice for CCconfucius' "anonymous sufferer" to come forward.

I certainly would like to ask him, too! All I could find on hcg is, "Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone produced in pregnancy that is made by the embryo soon after conception..."

???
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 16:17:54 by demografx »

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: 27/01/2009 16:24:42 »
would toco-8 be tocopherol aka vitamin E ?

Offline deloun

• View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: 27/01/2009 16:27:41 »
NE, day 1:

I haven't tried it as a supplement myself, but I've noticed that sometimes eating eggs seem to help a bit feeling a little bit better or recovering a little bit faster. Eggs contain choline too.

Several months ago I requested many laboratory blood and urine tests and went to an orthomolecular doctor and one of the things she diagnosed is that I have a poor methylation. Choline plays a vital role in methylation.

So maybe a poor methylation plays a role in our POIS?

Methylation is needed for many important processes in the body, including the synthesis of neurotransmitters.

Choline metabolism:

Methylation cycle:

Offline deloun

• View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: 27/01/2009 16:31:31 »
deloun---
Thanks for your response. Tension, Nervousness (anxiety), Depression, Insomnia are also some of my main symptoms during POIS; different I think from the dominant symptoms of Extreme, Debilitating Fatigue and Major Inability to Focus/Concentrate. My anxiety disorder (when I have an active episode) creates the same symptoms as POIS, but it is never defined in a 3-4 day time frame as is POIS. Since my symptoms are the same, when I rid myself of "anxiety disorder" this time around (whenever the hell that is), I hope that my strategies can be applied to POIS. If my neurotransmitter focus fails, then I will have to refocus with more attention probably paid to hormones.  I'm very reticent to discuss specific experiments, because I don't think it's beneficial unless I can say with confidence that something helps me. In general, I'm experimenting with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, plant extracts, body hydration, exercise, breathing, and topical creams. 

Sceletium Tortuosum is known to help with tension, anxiety and depression and I've noticed myself that it is effective for these symptoms, maybe it's worth a try for you.

Edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 17:26:12 by deloun »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: 27/01/2009 16:35:50 »
TESTOSTERONE

I don't know if these patches will cure my POIS, but I certainly feel better daily!

It stands to reason that I would feel better since my free testosterone was tested as low.

Standard urology and GP (General Practitioner) testing showed my testosterone levels to be normal, so thanks again Girlwind, B_Jim and Counterpoints for your suggestions on more extensive testing!

The T-patches produce a steadier, more natural flow compared to the erratic jumps that depotestoerone produce (the latter prescribed previously - mine was cypionate testosterone).

This is tricky stuff, everybody! So please don't self-medicate!

Find a healthcare professional you are comfortable with, then make him/her your partner: lady and gentlemen, we are treading on brand new ground here!
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 17:10:40 by demografx »

Offline deloun

• View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: 27/01/2009 16:42:54 »
Other things that I've noticed that have helped reducing the POIS symptoms are taking a shower while alternating with very hot and very cold water and going to the sauna, including cooling down with each round in a cold water bath or cold shower.

Are there others that have noticed that this has helped a bit with their symptoms?

Taking the shower with alternating hot and cold water can easily be tried at home, maybe it's worth a try and I would be curious if others notice a positive effect too. So if you decide to try it out, would you be so kind to let it know? Maybe it can tell something useful about POIS. One of the things that seem to occur as a consequence of the hot and cold stress to the body are the increase of blood flow and energy to organs and the increase of dopamine and noradrenaline available in the brain.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: 27/01/2009 16:43:02 »

would toco-8 be tocopherol aka vitamin E ?

mister_z, your guess is as good as mine! Unless "anonymous sufferer" comes forward we won't know. But don't worry, mister_z, this is the first time in 2 years since the forum started that this type of anonymous posting has occurred.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: 27/01/2009 16:55:22 »

CAUTION!

Please be careful. Someone has been trying to sell
me on a "POIS cure" and also on my seeing a
particular doctor/healthcare practitioner via
Private Message.

At this forum, we encourage you to work with
healthcare practitioners of your own choosing.
And "POIS cures" are very, very individual matters
at this stage of our history. Thank you all.
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 17:00:10 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: 27/01/2009 17:02:52 »
Other things that I've noticed that have helped reducing the POIS symptoms are taking a shower while alternating with very hot and very cold water and going to the sauna, including cooling down with each round in a cold water bath or cold shower.

Are there others that have noticed that this has helped a bit with their symptoms?

Taking the shower with alternating hot and cold water can easily be tried at home, maybe it's worth a try and I would be curious if others notice a positive effect too. So if you decide to try it out, would you be so kind to let it know? Maybe it can tell something useful about POIS. One of the things that seem to occur as a consequence of the hot and cold stress to the body are the increase of blood flow and energy to organs and the increase of dopamine and noradrenaline available in the brain.

Very interesting, deloun. Thank you!
« Last Edit: 27/01/2009 17:04:58 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3149 on: 27/01/2009 17:02:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length