The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6435953 times)

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3250 on: 02/02/2009 19:52:22 »
I don't want to spend my life studying endocrinology.

I didn't either, and now look what I've gotten myself into! I have become the resident blood test referral service for hormones. 
 >:( ;) :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: 02/02/2009 20:55:43 »

Demografx, nice to hear that the testosterone makes you feel better at the moment, do you notice any side effects?

Thanks, deloun. Yep, pain-in-the-neck (figuratively) side effect is itchiness. And some slight burning. All fairly tolerable, though.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: 02/02/2009 22:19:04 »
Consider that some MDs are to busy to research the latest hormone studies/information and that their not people who are sick.  I didn't sign up for a career in hormone research but it's what I got to do and where I am in life.

TSH Update - I've taken 50mgs of presecription T4 for one week, now.  No noticeable changes so far.  I'm hoping one day I wake up shiny and squeeky clean.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: 02/02/2009 23:35:40 »
while waiting for doctor, i was thinking of overdosing on vit b6. I read at about 200mg it can reduce prolactin amount in body.

Overdosing on B6?  This sounds like a very bad idea. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B6#Toxicity .
Also, do you even know you have high prolactin?  I don't have high prolactin.  And neither did the people in Dr. Waldinger's study.  I would guess that many people here do not have high prolactin.  100 mg/day of B6 is probably ok.  But
1) You don't know if you have high prolactin
2) You don't know if B6 will reduce prolactin
3) Taking B6 in high doses (e.g. 200 mg+/day) is harmful.  Most physicians would warn you against this.

You are perfectly right but i was playing the guessing game and hoping i could cut down recovery day. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: 03/02/2009 01:51:32 »
CC, haven't heard from Jane Ashby yet, but at least SSTAR forwarded my letter to the "right" Jane Ashby.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: 03/02/2009 02:00:54 »

I assumed my disappointment with testosterone inj. was because I had high SHBG levels, and that the extra test I was taking was largely getting bound to by SHBG.

Acronym, my endo said that injectables (which I tried before) produce too erratic results and that patches provide a smooth, steady flow, mimicking the body's mode of T-delivery. Anyway, that's what I'm doing now.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: 03/02/2009 05:45:16 »
goingcrazy, your public post has been returned to you via Private Message for editing before posting again. We ask that you retain a little bit of professional demeanor in your posting, as we are part of a scientific forum. "Wanking," "choke the chicken" plus a 3rd religious-mocking reference are highlighted for change in bold in your Private Message. The Private Message button is located at the top of this page. Click on "Messages" and it will be in your inbox. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: 03/02/2009 05:53:15 »
Hey guys, I am yet another sufferer of POIS ... I haven't read too much of what you guys wrote, but I was wondering when you guys first saw symptoms of your disease?  I used to have sex  ever so often... but about my third year of doing it I was feeling these really bad side effects you mention... anxiety,fatigue,brain fog, basically too tired and stressed to do anything .  Until I learned that these all went away when I didn't masturbate. Yesterday I felt to good and thought I was cured of this POIS until i did it again, bringing back all of the bad feelings it has to offer... so my question is, when did you start feeling these bad after effects?  I noticed that as soon as I started to drink coffee I was having these bad sex side effects, but yet i don't know ... Things that I have found helpful were calcium magnesium, vitamin B, restraining from sex<-- best answer, and phenylaline.  I was chewing big red gum yesterday and noticed that I felt a bit of normality because of the phenylaline.  I wish I didn't do it yesterday because now i don't feel too good... it takes me about a week to recover and get my head back...

I also have another question... I know symptoms go away after about a week, but has anybody ever tried to go lets say a month and than masturbate once?  Do you go right back to the POIS stage?  Giving it that amount of time might give your body enough time to replenish whatever it is missing and needed when recovering from sex.

So is anybody like me and besides the masterbating... had another influence on their heads? like coffee? that causes the POIS?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: 03/02/2009 06:12:43 »

my question is, when did you start feeling these bad after effects?  I noticed that as soon as I started to drink coffee I was having these bad sex side effects, but yet i don't know

I can't recall when the first POIS episode was, but I can remember back 30 years. Interesting that you bring up coffee, I started drinking it around the time I remember POIS, give or take a couple years. Some people think coffee = adrenal fatigue = POIS. My personal opinion is that the jury is out on this one.

I also have another question... I know symptoms go away after about a week, but has anybody ever tried to go lets say a month and than masturbate once?  Do you go right back to the POIS stage?  Giving it that amount of time might give your body enough time to replenish whatever it is missing and needed when recovering from sex.

My experience is that no matter how long you abstain, POIS appears full-blown from any form of sexual orgasm. "Recovery time" doesn't affect the "nuclear holocaust",known as POIS.

So is anybody like me and besides the masterbating... had another influence on their heads? like coffee? that causes the POIS?

Your situation is commonplace. Causes? We're still searching, but focused more on curing and/or diminishing POIS effects.
« Last Edit: 03/02/2009 07:23:03 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: 03/02/2009 06:34:08 »
goingcrazy, here are some forum resources which may be helpful:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video: A first!

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,
January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

« Last Edit: 03/02/2009 07:39:14 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: 03/02/2009 07:06:42 »
 ;D ;D A Cure For POIS???  ;D ;D

This comment was posted at Girlwind's POIS YouTube video site:

"Semen is high in fructose. Orgasm releases semen so the fructose and glucose in the blood are used to replenish, causing hypoglycemia. Most of these symptoms are hypoglycemia related. Eat some fruit and rest 12 minutes after orgasm."

Can we all celebrate now? :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: 03/02/2009 07:10:39 »
Forum tech disruptions

Everyone is frustrated, I've written complaints. Another one today.

For now, hitting the "Refresh" button is all I can suggest! :(

Thanks for you patience, everybody!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: 03/02/2009 07:17:26 »
I don't want to spend my life studying endocrinology.

I didn't either, and now look what I've gotten myself into! I have become the resident blood test referral service for hormones. 
 >:( ;) :)

I can think of worse careers... :)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: 03/02/2009 07:29:51 »
Demografx, you recently said that no matter how long you abstain from orgasm the effects will still be there after orgasm. (sorry for my inability to quote) How long did you remain celibate for?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: 03/02/2009 07:51:38 »

Demografx, you recently said that no matter how long you abstain from orgasm the effects will still be there after orgasm. (sorry for my inability to quote) How long did you remain celibate for?

I've gone 2-3 months many a time. Very disappointing, I thought "recovery time" would work. It never did.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: 03/02/2009 08:07:08 »

Consider that some MDs are to busy to research the latest hormone studies/information and that their not people who are sick.  I didn't sign up for a career in hormone research but it's what I got to do and where I am in life.

TSH Update - I've taken 50mgs of presecription T4 for one week, now.  No noticeable changes so far.  I'm hoping one day I wake up shiny and squeeky clean.

Excellent points, Limejuice!

And best wishes with the T-4! Shiny and squeaky clean would be nice!

ps - someone once told me, "find a doctor with POIS and you'll get results!" Talk about motivation.....
« Last Edit: 03/02/2009 08:15:19 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: 03/02/2009 15:34:47 »
Re: Fructose and chewing gum with phenylalanine----
Demo and Goingcrazy:
In the past I have noticed short term, surprising mood enhancement when I have chewed gum with phenylalanine. I just thought it was me or a freak occurrence. I will focus more on this. Also, I have always felt significantly better when I have had a large fruit salad made by my wife. This is no matter what my situation, GAD or POIS. Again, I haven't really focused on this much. I have done some research into hypoglycemic reactions, but I haven't seriously gone into it re: POIS. My wife has been yelling at me for 20 years to each "much more" fresh fruit. Again, she's probably right and I'm a stubborn fool. Maybe I'll move a "reaction up" and try some Pheylalanine instead of L Tyrosine and see what happens (in the dopamine production sequence). This last week I've feel like a friggin pin ball or better yet a random ping pong ball in the lottery machine.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: 03/02/2009 17:37:22 »
B_JIM

;D Forget fructose depletion theory of youtube's comment. ? ? ? ? ?

As an athlete, POIS/GAD may be a bit more complex, as my blood sugar fluctuates a lot.
POIS is bad enough, but when you are naturally fatigued, it is definitely worse.
Granted, the fructose depletion theory is not an answer, but sugar [whether fructose, glucose, maltose, galactose etc] may not only play a part for highly active individuals, but anyone who might naturally get fatigued. We all need proper metabolism or our bodies can't do anything; this means synthesizing proteins, hormones or anything else. This is why breathing and oxygen are essential also.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: 03/02/2009 18:24:36 »
I'm ready to make the tests recommanded by Michael, Girlwind and others but  only in blood, not saliva :/ I would prefer saliva tests at least for cortisol and Dhea. The good point is i will test pregnenolone too. That's a good point for me considering my low cholesterol.

;D Forget fructose depletion theory of youtube's comment. 

In the blood, cortisol is linked to corticosteroid binding globulin (CBG).
On the saliva, cortisol is free.

I would seriously consider 24 hr urine catecholamine, metanephrine and cortisol tests, given possible link to pheochromocytoma, and also the article on the neuroendocrine response to orgasm, and also our own speculation about catecholamines.

Good luck!

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: 03/02/2009 18:42:06 »
Also with respect to Metabolism etc:
Keep in mind that the only reported cure for POIS in this forum has been from an incredibly fit 24 year old athlete/boxer. I can tell you that his routine probably is quite exhausting.  Elite athletes also pay attention to their physiques, and tend to develop muscle easier. Young athletes tend to have great metabolism and an ability to sustain discomfort. Endorphins are at their call. I experienced this in my late 20's and early 30's. I submit there is a big difference in circulation, metabolism, recovery time, and general physiological response between an elite, young athlete and one who is not. Might these factors have an impact on POIS? 

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: 03/02/2009 18:48:47 »
Re: Fructose and chewing gum with phenylalanine----
Demo and Goingcrazy:
In the past I have noticed short term, surprising mood enhancement when I have chewed gum with phenylalanine. I just thought it was me or a freak occurrence. I will focus more on this. Also, I have always felt significantly better when I have had a large fruit salad made by my wife. This is no matter what my situation, GAD or POIS. Again, I haven't really focused on this much. I have done some research into hypoglycemic reactions, but I haven't seriously gone into it re: POIS. My wife has been yelling at me for 20 years to each "much more" fresh fruit. Again, she's probably right and I'm a stubborn fool. Maybe I'll move a "reaction up" and try some Pheylalanine instead of L Tyrosine and see what happens (in the dopamine production sequence). This last week I've feel like a friggin pin ball or better yet a random ping pong ball in the lottery machine.

Yes, the Phenylalanine definitely has some good qualities, for me (a quick gum chewer), sunday night (the night I had sex) I just began to chew 5 big red gum, but not only did I just have one piece, I would say I had 10 pieces within half hour.  It enhances your mood, but also makes you sweat and feel hot.  I would say its worth it and definitely has something to do with POIS.  I might just have two chew 3 packs of 5 big red gum for 3 days to reduce the after effects of sex.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: 03/02/2009 18:51:26 »
Wow, Goingcrazy------
You just answered questions that I was about to ask. Thank you!
Could you please tell me the brand of this gum?
thanks

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: 03/02/2009 18:54:26 »
Wow, Goingcrazy------
You just answered questions that I was about to ask. Thank you!
Could you please tell me the brand of this gum?
thanks

It is called 5 Flare,  you can see it here.      http://theconsumerscorner.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/5-gum.jpg

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: 03/02/2009 19:23:09 »

I've gone 2-3 months many a time. Very disappointing, I thought "recovery time" would work. It never did.

How do you go 2-3 months without orgasm when nocturnal emission is waiting for you. Nowadays i recover and NE sends me right back into cycle, any thoughts on controlling that.     

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3274 on: 03/02/2009 19:23:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums