The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6448816 times)

Offline Pantaloon

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3500 on: 16/02/2009 20:00:42 »

I would also like to ask the group how their symptoms are affected by smoking/nictone patches.

Although not a regular smoker, I smoke the occasional cigar and have often thought that it has a beneficial effect on my POIS symptoms. Maybe I'll buy myself a pack and do some research :-)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: 16/02/2009 21:42:25 »
Experiement

50mcg Synthriod and 300mg PS per day.  Synthriod used for 1 month and PS used for 5 days.

Sunday afternoon double release

Day 0 - symptoms of mild confusion, spaciness, and apathy.  Difficulty sleeping.

Day 1 - feel 95% normal!! Relatively creative, low fog

Theory - A.) The synthriod has finally kicked in
         B.) The PS was the final straw with the synthriod
         C.) The obligatory fault alert placebo

CounterPoint - have you done further testing with cortisol or have other clinical information/doctor advised info?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: 16/02/2009 22:06:58 »

and in some of us, getting worse as time passes

Do people generally find that POIS gets worse as you get older?
My experience is that it maybe gets worse, but my ability to manage/mitigate it gets better.

Pantaloon, and Underwater, that's my experience too.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: 16/02/2009 22:10:36 »

Experiement

50mcg Synthriod and 300mg PS per day.  Synthriod used for 1 month and PS used for 5 days.

Day 0 - symptoms of mild confusion, spaciness, and apathy.  Difficulty sleeping.

CounterPoint - have you done further testing with cortisol or have other clinical information/doctor advised info?

Limejuice, terrific to hear!

Day Zero is when I'm still affected too. Then Day 1+ is also like yours.

Unbelievable feeling of elation, isn't it?

PS - what is PS? :)
« Last Edit: 16/02/2009 22:43:55 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: 16/02/2009 22:31:05 »

Hi All,

My name is Jon. I am a 30yo male living in the UK. I was astonished to discover this thread via google. I didn't know about POIS prior to reading this thread but believe that it reasonably accurately describes what happens to me...

Hi Jon, we're mostly astonished too! As just one example here, I was all alone in the POIS-wilderness for over 30 years, never dreamed of finding this "POIS family" here! Similar stories abound here.

Your ideas about acetylcholine deficiency are very interesting. There have been some discussions here at this forum about acetylcholine, which you can find at:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Acetylcholine+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=

When you see a Google-result post that you like, look at the message number (msg) in the link, but since the numbers do change, just use them as a rough guide. Look at posts before and after the msg number of the link which interests you, and you will find it.

Welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video: A first!

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the above resources can be useful for you to show the medical world - who often shows little understanding of our plight and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS truly has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapy community.

Again, Jon, welcome!
« Last Edit: 16/02/2009 22:41:41 by demografx »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: 17/02/2009 05:55:26 »
I don't think zinc alone is the solution for pois but here are some facts :

If I take a zinc supplement, a small dose under the tongue while sexually abstinent for 2 weeks, I can feel very clearly increased energy and libido.
Product: http://www.labcatal.com/produits1zn.htm

According to this page zinc is linked with a hyperadrenal syndrome and ADHD :
http://www.fabresearch.org/view_item.aspx?item_id=423
Zinc is an essential co-factor in a huge number of different processes in the brain and body. With respect to ADHD symptoms, the authors point out that zinc deficiencies have been linked with a 'hyperadrenal' syndrome and also with reduced production of melatonin and serotonin, either of which could plausibly contribute to the kinds of behavioural disturbances found in ADHD

A study report, zinc has an action on testicular steroidogenesis (rats) :
http://ajplegacy.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/230/6/1730

Offline adam jarred

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: 17/02/2009 21:01:29 »
Hi
    I only found out yesterday that my counselor told me that have Post Orgasmic syndrome!!  Iíve had all the test done, and there found nothing!!  My problem is after having sex. Iím in lot of pain, and even getting hard one is no no! Iíve had this problem for about 13 months now!! Iím looking for information on, so I can take to my doctor!! Or even cure if there is one for this!! Iíve been told this rare!!

Can anyone plz help! Iím 34 now!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: 17/02/2009 22:58:15 »

Hi
    I only found out yesterday that my counselor told me that have Post Orgasmic syndrome!!...Can anyone plz help! Iím 34 now!!

Hi Adam, we're not medical support people, so I would suggest that you take a medical study on POIS that we have, and show it to your doctor.

Send me, "demografx", a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the study in PDF format.

To send me a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate. Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

Best wishes to you!
« Last Edit: 18/02/2009 01:27:56 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: 17/02/2009 23:22:30 »
Martin, interesting ideas about zinc!
« Last Edit: 17/02/2009 23:28:33 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: 17/02/2009 23:27:28 »

TESTOSTERONE SAGA

Endo is switching me to gel after patches caused a suddenly strong allergic reaction 3 weeks into application. So will start POIS Forum birthday with slightly new direction!

I decided to continue with patches despite the "allergic reaction," which endo doesn't think comes from the patches. Bizarre, but if it happens again, maybe I'll switch to gel.

Meanwhile, this is working so I'm glad not to "fix it"!

ps - I'm amazed at how much better I feel with the patches. I know it sounds 'addictive' but hey, I clearly have a testosterone deficiency. And my GP's and urologists said no I didn't! Total and FREE testosterone testing: thank you, forum!
« Last Edit: 18/02/2009 00:58:21 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3510 on: 18/02/2009 00:00:24 »

Experiement

Limejuice, terrific to hear!

Day Zero is when I'm still affected too. Then Day 1+ is also like yours.

Unbelievable feeling of elation, isn't it?

PS - what is PS? :)

It is!!

Update:

Day 2 (when it rains it pours) - Had an NE last night, in addition to double release two days ago.  Result today, I still almost normal with only slight sign of symptoms.

Observations - I know almost for fact now that stress is the primary cause of my POIS symptoms.  A situation occured at work today that would have usually fustrated me to no end, especially in a state of POIS, that I was able to address calmly and resolve.  Also today, under POIS, I was able to compose a large detailed specification that I othewise wouldn't have with stress.  I 'feel' life abundant within me, like emotions of excitement and sorrow and compation, I haven't felt during POIS. 

The suppliment PS is mitigating the stress for me.

It's also interesting - I finally see how other secondary hormones can attribute indirectly to a problem.  For example, my thyriod production is low, which is secondary, but it often fustrates and stresses me that I don't have energy (something thyriod creates).  The big picture is really coming together.

I also don't want to sound like I'm bragging thats not my intention.  But when a revelation like this hits you, its a deep impact and other people should know about it.

My next step is to get cortisol tested and consult with a doctor.
« Last Edit: 18/02/2009 00:02:07 by Limejuice »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: 18/02/2009 00:30:34 »

February 18th, 2009, our 2nd Anniversary! Thank you John21, and then B_Jim, our very first posters!!

And we're all still waiting impatiently for Counterpoints to send us those all-expense-paid tickets and vouchers to our First Annual POIS Retreat above! C'mon CP!!  ;D
« Last Edit: 18/02/2009 21:00:23 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: 18/02/2009 01:12:17 »

I 'feel' life abundant within me, like emotions of excitement and sorrow and compassion, I haven't felt during POIS....I also don't want to sound like I'm bragging thats not my intention.  But when a revelation like this hits you, its a deep impact and other people should know about it.

Limejuice, thank you so much for that most inspirational post! This is what we're all fervently hoping for. I feel the exact same way, it's an absolutely thrilling adventure when we're POIS-free, even when it's not 100%!!

ps - what is the supplement PS?

pps - I'm testing for cortisol, too, as you are.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: 18/02/2009 01:59:09 »
Experiement

Hi Limejuice,
I am happy to hear your good news.  I am (definitely) getting an MRI of my pituitary (with gadolinium contrast), within the next three weeks.  I am probably going to get a CT of my abdomen (adrenals) soon, as well.  I am also considering other tests.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: 18/02/2009 04:36:52 »
Limejuice
I also agree that stress may be a "major" contributing factor for POIS.
This is why I am taking an approach to GAD that will also focus on POIS.
GAD is a stress illness. I keep saying that I will soon be finished with this GAD episode in my life, but it is too undertain as yet to make such a final statement.
My chart says I'm near the end, but my body says, "not so fast". Also, CONGRATULATIONS
and THANK YOU to all who have had real successes lately. Let's hope this is contagious. Sometimes solutions to problems just cluster in a critical mass with success after success. Let's hope this is another example of this phenomenon!!!!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: 18/02/2009 04:55:37 »

CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU to all who have had real successes lately. Let's hope this is contagious. Sometimes solutions to problems just cluster in a critical mass with success after success. Let's hope this is another example of this phenomenon!!!!!

Underwater, thanks much for the terrific encouragement. It can only come back full circle to you!

Offline pois.suffered

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: 18/02/2009 14:53:24 »
I always had felt that I've a very little life and today somehow I found about POIS I'm sure I'll be no more soon, so I'll be trying to be more good for rest of my life, lol! Yet, thanks to that Youtube video, I found this forum.
I am not sure how exactly I got infected to this but as far as I remember, I think POIS has been hitting me for at least last decade or from the beginning. In the early years I thought this was a some sort of allergy problem as doctors prescribed but later I did sometimes notice its relation with post orgasm and now it usually happens to me even if there is no PO involved. I was given lot of vaccines and other anti allergic antibiotics but I was told there is no permanent remedy for this so called 'acute-allergy' yet I've now to tell them about POIS which I never did before as I found it now as symptoms matched are 100% same and I'm more than sure now what I've been suffering from last couple of years. The attacks are so severe that I keep sneezing with watery eyes and flu for days and weeks until i take antibiotics, some steroids and sleep for some hours but the effect of it vanishes after 3-4 days. And this happens every twice or thrice in a month. I'm almost dead when this happens, my brain ceases, water starts rushing from nose and eyes and I cannot survive without sleeping for a while. I know there's nothing I can do now but I'll try to post back before dieing.
I would like to thank everyone putting more information on it!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: 18/02/2009 21:33:54 »
Hi pois.suffered, I'm very sorry to hear of your extreme difficulties. Dr. Waldinger's paper below might give you some ideas because he studied flu-like symptoms.

Welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the above resources can be useful for you to show the medical world - who often shows little understanding of our plight and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS truly has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapy community.

Again, pois.suffered, welcome!
« Last Edit: 19/02/2009 04:17:19 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: 18/02/2009 23:03:43 »
Demo - PS is short for Phosphatedylserine (and now we know why it's abbreviated!).

The internet is littered with PS articles where PS is known as brain food and a cortisol reducer.

I thought this was interesting - here is a research study showing PS lowers cortisol and increases testosterone.

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art2408&zTYPE=2

Underwater - adrenals do looked closely linked with cortisol.  How has that treatment been?

It looks like you and CounterPoint has been on top of this the whole time.
ciao

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: 19/02/2009 02:48:18 »

Demo - PS is short for Phosphatedylserine (and now we know why it's abbreviated!).

The internet is littered with PS articles where PS is known as brain food and a cortisol reducer.

I thought this was interesting - here is a research study showing PS lowers cortisol and increases testosterone.

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art2408&zTYPE=2

Limejuice, LOL, PS is definitely easier to pronounce! Very interesting article, rigorous scientific study there.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: 19/02/2009 03:24:01 »
I havnt got copy of blood test result but nurse told me that everything was normal but my dhea was elevated.
And i read dhea is connected to andrenal and it is good to check pituary gland when dhea elevated.
Am hoping doctor does not waste time on me and send me straight to endo. ( can endo check testertorone and prolactin and dhea).

My only problem with the test is my blood was taken during 2 day recovery mode( when i am very hyper and my brain is sharper than usual).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: 19/02/2009 04:01:09 »
CC, sounds like you're making good headway. I had an MRI of the pituitary, nothing bad found. Let us know how this progresses.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: 19/02/2009 04:06:24 »

I am (definitely) getting an MRI of my pituitary (with gadolinium contrast), within the next three weeks.  I am probably going to get a CT of my abdomen (adrenals) soon, as well.  I am also considering other tests.

CP, very ambitious! I didn't know adrenals could be CT'd.

I had my MRI of the pituitary with and without contrast...dunno if it was gadolinium though.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: 19/02/2009 04:20:43 »

If you want a quick solution 100% reliable : we don't have it.

B_Jim, a very well stated position on where we are today with POIS!

Perhaps one day there will be an "Alka-Seltzer for POIS"! :D

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: 19/02/2009 11:15:44 »
this blog is huuuuge! Is it still a new theory?
« Last Edit: 19/02/2009 12:04:15 by latebind »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3524 on: 19/02/2009 11:15:44 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums