The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430320 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3525 on: 19/02/2009 15:20:55 »

I think that's ["POIS Alka-Seltzer"] seriously possible with anti-inflammatory, hormone boosters for different forms of Pois or even vitamins (B5/C).  :)

The most difficult is to find what's wrong after orgasm for each sufferer.

OK, so I'll take the "POIS Alka-Seltzer" for primarily-exhaustion/fatigue suffering but not for primarily-cognitive suffering right now.

Wouldn't that be nice?
« Last Edit: 19/02/2009 15:30:09 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: 19/02/2009 15:26:47 »

this blog is huuuuge! Is it still a new theory?

Latebind, welcome. I assume you're not a POIS sufferer. It's still new in the sense that there is no universal cure yet for POIS. But we are making inroads to individual cases. Pull up a seat and have some coffee!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: 19/02/2009 17:33:59 »
What is the latest news about fenugreek or relora? Anyone?

Offline adam jarred

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: 19/02/2009 18:12:45 »
Hi All
         Iím looking for information on Post Orgasmic Syndrome? Iím 34 year male from the uk!! Iíve just been told that I have Post Orgasmic Syndrome! I need to know how to u cure, if possible! Iíve had this condition for 14 months and very pain fully after masterbaiting or even getting hard on is very pain fully!! Pain last up to 3-to 4 weeks!!

My e-mail is adjrr@aol.com!! 

Regards
 Adam jarred

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: 19/02/2009 21:14:50 »
Latebind, welcome. I assume you're not a POIS sufferer. It's still new in the sense that there is no universal cure yet for POIS. But we are making inroads to individual cases. Pull up a seat and have some coffee!

Hi demografx

It is an interesting topic, and I guess I don't get it as bad as some folks. I can say that I feel drained afterwards, physically weak, but I have never felt sick, that must be a really hard thing to live with, I hope you find cures for everyone here cos every guy should be able to do their thing in peace
« Last Edit: 19/02/2009 21:23:02 by latebind »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: 19/02/2009 21:27:25 »
CC, sounds like you're making good headway. I had an MRI of the pituitary, nothing bad found. Let us know how this progresses.

?? Didn't they find that you had an empty sella?  The sella surrounds the pituitary.

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: 19/02/2009 21:28:35 »
My contribution, although its probably somewhere in the blog already...

It seems doctors feel this might be an allergic reaction to hormones released via erections and ejacs.
Perhaps try some hayfever medicine or some allergy medicine?

mod edit - erections
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 05:50:52 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: 20/02/2009 01:07:38 »

It seems doctors feel this might be an allergic reaction to hormones released via erections and ejacs.

Which doctors?  For everyone (99%+?) here, it is just ejaculation that causes problems, not erection.

mod edit - erections/latebind
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 05:54:02 by demografx »

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: 20/02/2009 01:16:41 »
THEORY FROM A NEWBIE

Hey everyone.

As you can already gather, i am a fellow POIS sufferer. Have been for quite a few years now. My symptoms post-ejaculation are:

-Mental and Physical Fatigue
-Inability to Concentrate
-World appears colourless and dull
-Depressive tendancies
-Negative outlook
-Cold intolerance

Have struggled to find a "cure" as it were.

Recently, however, i developed a little theory, which im certain is ridiculous, but here it is nonetheless. It is awkward to follow, but bare with me:

Basically, after ejaculation, it is known that Dopamine is low, which might very well be emphasised in our case. So, when this dopamine is low, we can also assume that the key nutrients or "amino acids" used to create dopamine (Phenylalanine and Tyrosine) are low. Since this is the case, not only do we experience the symptoms of low dopamine and POIS, but we also experience the symptoms brought on by these low amino acid levels.
  For example, Tyrosine (used to create dopamine) is normal. Then ejaculation occurs, causing low dopamine. Since the dopamine is low, then it could be said that Tyrosine is also low, since the hormone it produces is low.
  Therefore, by replenishing these amino acids, such as Tyrosine, POIS symptoms may be alleviated.

Also, Tyrosine is a particular example used here because of its connection with the Thyroid gland. When tyrosine is low, the Thyroid glad does not function correctly, and when the Tyroid is not functioning properly, it causes many symptoms which are similar to POIS (look up Hypothyroidism), such as depression.

Thus, what i am suggesting is to take Tyrosine supplements (which can be bought at local health food stores) just after orgasming, then follow what happens and see if a difference is noticed.

In short, my theory is that we may already be slightly deficient in amino acids, which are aggravated by orgasm.

Apologies for the herculean length of this post. Please reply with your thoughts.

[Note: Be careful not to take too much Tyrosine. Take only the dose which is stated on the bottle]
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 01:23:36 by Ambient123 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: 20/02/2009 02:18:42 »

Hi All
         Iím looking for information on Post Orgasmic Syndrome? Iím 34 year male from the uk!! Iíve just been told that I have Post Orgasmic Syndrome! I need to know how to u cure, if possible! Iíve had this condition for 14 months and very pain fully after masterbaiting or even getting hard on is very pain fully!! Pain last up to 3-to 4 weeks!!

My e-mail is adjrr@aol.com!! 

Regards
 Adam jarred

To All: I posted a reply yesterday. Here's what I emailed him just now:

Hi Adam, we're not medical support people, so I would suggest that you take a medical study [by Dr Waldinger and Dr Schwartz] on POIS that we have (it's attached) , and show it to your doctor.

Please post again at the forum and let us know how you're doing!

Best wishes,

demografx
POIS forum moderator

If anyone else feels like sending Adam a word of encouragement, please feel free to do so!
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 03:09:28 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: 20/02/2009 02:24:23 »

CC, sounds like you're making good headway. I had an MRI of the pituitary, nothing bad found. Let us know how this progresses.

?? Didn't they find that you had an empty sella?  The sella surrounds the pituitary.

Counterpoints, absolutely right, a partially empty sella was found. But the endocrinologist doesn't seem concerned that there's any immediate associated pathology to be concerned about, which is why I said "nothing bad found", including no tumors!

Low testosterone/high prolactin is the immediate concern, and his treatment is working well on my POIS. More tests and info to come in March...
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 04:49:29 by demografx »

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: 20/02/2009 03:06:21 »
The last few days have been interesting. I am now beginning to think that my allergies connect to GAD which connects to POIS. The big change in my thinking lately has been to consider inflammation as a MAJOR factor in my biochemistry. I have so many inflammatory responses to POIS and GAD and allergies that I am thinking in a new direction. Obviously allergies are inflammatory reactions; stress and anxiety for me cause inflammation and may very well have the same trigger mechanisms as allergens; so might POIS? I am not so sure my amino acid experiments were worth it. Right now I am considering antihistamines for my GAD. If anxiety causes inflammation and POIS is interprested as stressful by my CNS.......? The more I consider something new, the more confused I get. However, in reflecting on my life history, I have clearly recalled that my GAD and bad POIS episodes were always connected to nasty allergic periods. This is a new memory recall for me. I also recall many times with  a panic attack and POIS that my sinuses felt full and skin tingly. I sprayed Dristan into my nostrils last night; my theory being a latent allergic condition??Had a very good day. We'll see what happens????????????????????????????????

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: 20/02/2009 03:24:07 »

THEORY FROM A NEWBIE

Hi Ambient123 Thanks for posting your ideas about Tyrosine. There have been some discussions here at this forum about Tyrosine, which you can find at:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=tyrosine+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com

When you see a Google-result post that you like, look at the message number (msg) in the link, but since the numbers do change, just use them as a rough guide. Look at posts before and after the msg number of the link which interests you, and you will find it.

Welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the above resources can be useful for you to show the medical world - who often shows little understanding of our plight and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS truly has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapy community.

Again, Ambient123, welcome!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: 20/02/2009 04:46:40 »

I am considering antihistamines for my GAD.

Underwater, just a few forum references to antihistamines, but maybe worth a look?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=antihistamines+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com

The more I consider something new, the more confused I get.

Underwater, I think many of us get confused. Certainly I do. The POIS options presented here are overwhelming! Occam's Razor rule seems to work for me: the simplest explanation is often the most correct. Besides, for me, endless pursuit just doesn't work and is not possible anyway. Simple, intuitive, logical, efficient trial and error is all I can handle.

I'm sure I get some things wrong, but who doesn't?
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 05:27:40 by demografx »

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: 20/02/2009 08:46:31 »

Relora seems to only reduce the palpitations and anxiety, which helps clear the brain fog so at least I can get through the day.  But overall, the symptoms are still hell even with Relora...gaah.  The best relief i can get is with tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, Relora, Advil, and, of course, as much quality sleep as possible.  Has there been anything said from Dr. Waldinger as of late???

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3540 on: 20/02/2009 08:47:22 »

mod edit - erections

The link for this comes from an article

http://www.discussanything.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6889.html

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: 20/02/2009 16:34:19 »

RE: Relora and Fenugreek - For me

Relora gave me extremely intense headaches, which turns out is a documented side-effect.

Fenugreek does reduce some POIS symptoms - I'd say overall relief is 50%

The PS has the greatest impact and reduces POIS symptoms to 5% and recovery to one day!
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 16:52:56 by Limejuice »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: 20/02/2009 16:51:36 »

The PS [Phosphatedylserine] has the greatest impact and reduces POIS symptoms to 5% and recovery to one day!

WOW! Wonderful, Limejuice!!!

Limejuice, it would help others if you could quickly re-cap your profile/symptoms so similarly afflicted can ask their doctors? Appreciate it!

Limejuice bold emphasis mine - mod
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 17:02:40 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: 20/02/2009 16:55:53 »

Has there been anything said from Dr. Waldinger as of late???

Pyro, he continues to be powerfully......quiet :)

Forum contributors and forum members' endocrinologists seem to be the most helpful at this time, Pyro.
« Last Edit: 21/02/2009 01:04:52 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: 20/02/2009 19:14:20 »
No worries B_Jim - heres a recap:

Limejuice, it would help others if you could quickly re-cap your profile/symptoms so similarly afflicted can ask their doctors? Appreciate it!
Limejuice bold emphasis mine - mod

Heres a recap of the symptoms I experienced during POIS and the duration of those symptoms (in outline format)

Symptoms:
- brain fog (struggle with concentration, finding the right words to say)
- apathy (emotional numbness)
- insomnia (tired during the day but awake/wired feeling at night)
- loss of inhibition
- stress (although I didn't recognize it was stress until days ago..after  12 years)
- Social Anxiety
- sensitivity to carbohydrates and stimulants (sugar, alcohol, pasta, caffine)

Recovery:
- Day 0 felt mild POIS as if feeling the onset of a headcold
- Day 1 significat POIS symptoms descibed above at around 80%
- Day 2 height of POIS symptom at 100%
- Day 3 slight reduction of symptoms back to 80%
- Day 4 40% symptoms
- Day 5 10%
And so on.
« Last Edit: 20/02/2009 19:34:02 by Limejuice »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: 20/02/2009 21:00:32 »
The PS has the greatest impact and reduces POIS symptoms to 5% and recovery to one day!
Limejuice, it's great for your success.

I'd have 2 questions :
-Do you think the thyroid medication is involved in your improvement ?
-Is your PS supplement from brain or from soya ?

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: 20/02/2009 21:25:08 »
Limejuice, it's great for your success.

I'd have 2 questions :
-Do you think the thyroid medication is involved in your improvement ?
-Is your PS supplement from brain or from soya ?

-It's difficult determine how much impact the thyriod medication has on the improvement as it's effect has been more gradual.  But I can tell the impact of the effect from the PS as it feels like it wears off and when I take another it feels like it kicks back in.

-I beleive the PS is made from soy (and from what I read PS is no longer made from brain because of scare from animal diseases like mad cow).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: 21/02/2009 00:52:59 »

Limejuice, thank you for so generously sharing your success story with us!

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: 21/02/2009 01:21:31 »

Limejuice, could you let us know what brand of PS you use?
« Last Edit: 21/02/2009 01:25:30 by Guthrie »

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: 21/02/2009 01:23:48 »
Welcome new sufferers .
The best relief i can get is with tyrosine, L-phenylalanine, Relora, Advil, and, of course, as much quality sleep as possible

Interesting Pyro, i din't notice this point. When do you take it ? Just after ?

Limejuice, sorry i forgot ure  good results with PS. I need to read again :)

I do take it right after for relief of the headache.

What is PS? 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3549 on: 21/02/2009 01:23:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums