The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6438630 times)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3550 on: 21/02/2009 02:05:23 »
Limejuice, could you let us know what brand of PS you use?

I use Nature's Way and although PS is expensive this brand is the best price.  I noticed Solgar makes PS and am extremely curious about trying that but a bottle is $30+ and lasts for 10 days.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: 21/02/2009 02:59:59 »

Are there PS side effects we should be aware of?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: 21/02/2009 03:04:35 »

What is PS? 

PS is abbreviation for the tongue-twister Phosphatedylserine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphatidylserine

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: 21/02/2009 03:11:10 »
On PS Safety from wikipedia

[The soy vs. brain-derivation was discussed earlier on the forum by Limejuice]

"Safety
Traditionally, PS supplements were derived from bovine cortex (BC-PS); however, due to the potential transfer of infectious diseases, soy-derived PS (S-PS) has been established as a safe alternative. Soy-derived PS is Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) and is a safe nutritional supplement for older persons if taken up to a dosage of 200 mg three times daily. [8] Phosphatidylserine has been shown to reduce specific immune response in mice. "

« Last Edit: 21/02/2009 03:14:33 by demografx »

Jiddu5

« Reply #3554 on: 21/02/2009 11:46:25 »
Hi All,
I put a post here a couple of weeks ago talking about my experiences with the Buteyko breathing method. Dunno if anyone tried it out - in fact, as was pointed out at the time, it is kind of complicated.

Anyway, while I did recommend getting a book or DVD about it before trying any of the exercises, I was reading through the book I use, 'Close Your Mouth', the other day (I haven't actualy read through it fully in a while), and I came upon a page with some notes of caution, and I figured since I recommended it, it might be a good idea to share them. The method is actually primarily used to cure asthma, and the author says if you experience any exacerbation of any health symptoms, to cease the exercises. He also says:

Not to practise the method if you suffer from any of the following conditions: sickle cell anaemia; arterial aneurysm; very high uncontrolled blood pressure; any heart problems in the past three months; uncontrolled hyperthyroidism; a known brain tumour or kidney disease.

•Also, he says if you suffer from any of the following then you need the direct guidance of a qualified and experienced Buteyko practitioner: diabetes; severe asthma; emphysema; epilepsy; schizophrenia; unsatisfactory blood pressure levels or chest pains or pain in the heart region.

Basically, if you're unsure about your health in any way, it's better to contact a Buteyko practitioner directly for advise I think. Anyway, I just thought I'd add those notes of caution to my previous post for the sake of it.

Best of luck to all!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: 21/02/2009 21:00:50 »

Jiddu, thank you for your concern and for your notes of caution on the breathing techniques.
« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 06:38:38 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: 21/02/2009 21:06:28 »

Hmmm, that's not the first time we talk about phosphorus group molecules with Counterpoints, Martin (hypophosphatinemia) and others... (Phosphatidylserine, ATP... ) .  Anyway Phosphatidylserine supplements are expensive but interesting for cognitive functions.

Thanks Pyro.

B_Jim, I found just a few forum discussions about Phosphatidylserine here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Phosphatidylserine+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: 22/02/2009 03:11:35 »
test result
cortisol - 6.1  3 - 22.4
estrogen - 55 40 - 115
free testorone 19.9
dhea 878    208 - 771
prolactin 6.24 2.64- 13.13

i still dont agree with test untill i take in full pois.
I was just wondering does endocrinologist test these same chemicals

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: 22/02/2009 03:58:21 »
test result
cortisol - 6.1  3 - 22.4
estrogen - 55 40 - 115
free testorone 19.9
dhea 878    208 - 771

CC, you have every right to request that the endocrinologist test these exact same chemicals/hormones in-POIS.
« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 04:43:28 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: 22/02/2009 04:14:23 »
just like to say, after i thought i was cured from pois, i was, but only for a few ejaculations.  The fourth time I did it i got immediate aches and pains, the following morning was unbearable... headache, depression, anxiety, extreme dysphoria, very very irritable, and my whole body ached all over.  It felt worse than before, but probably only because i hadn't experienced it in a while.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: 22/02/2009 04:15:41 »
just like to say, after i thought i was cured from pois, i was, but only for a few ejaculations.  The fourth time I did it i got immediate aches and pains, the following morning was unbearable... headache, depression, very very irritable, and my whole body ached all over.  It felt worse than before, but probably only because i hadn't experienced it in a while.

Sometimes I don't get symptoms after ejaculation. (very rare these days).  And sometimes ejaculation actually alleviates my symptoms.  I think Guthrie noticed this too. 

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: 22/02/2009 04:27:35 »
just like to say, after i thought i was cured from pois, i was, but only for a few ejaculations.  The fourth time I did it i got immediate aches and pains, the following morning was unbearable... headache, depression, very very irritable, and my whole body ached all over.  It felt worse than before, but probably only because i hadn't experienced it in a while.

Sometimes I don't get symptoms after ejaculation. (very rare these days).  And sometimes ejaculation actually alleviates my symptoms.  I think Guthrie noticed this too. 

yes, it's very weird, I guess it is just how your body handles it or... each ejaculation is different!?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: 22/02/2009 04:41:01 »

yes, it's very weird, I guess it is just how your body handles it or... each ejaculation is different!?

As Counterpoints mentioned, he and Guthrie have had different reactions; people like me have the same reaction every time.

You'll eventually notice many variations on the POIS theme here at this forum, both in symptoms, reactions and treatments.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: 22/02/2009 05:22:43 »

Guthrie wrote a great post about it here: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg215420#msg215420

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: 22/02/2009 06:52:08 »

Guthrie wrote a great post about it here: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg215420#msg215420

Thanks, Counterpoints, I went and re-viewed that and it's very good. I especially like the graphic understanding conveyed of POIS sufferers "crashing", (falling below the line), then taking days or weeks to climb back to baseline, i.e., recover from POIS.
« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 06:54:27 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: 22/02/2009 07:08:15 »
just like to say, after i thought i was cured from pois, i was, but only for a few ejaculations.  The fourth time I did it i got immediate aches and pains, the following morning was unbearable... headache, depression, anxiety, extreme dysphoria, very very irritable, and my whole body ached all over.  It felt worse than before, but probably only because i hadn't experienced it in a while.

MY experience with pois is when i ejaculate several the symptoms seem to be worse and it also takes longer to recover even after 2 day hyperness.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: 22/02/2009 07:09:38 »
test result
cortisol - 6.1  3 - 22.4
estrogen - 55 40 - 115
free testorone
dhea 878    208 - 771

CC, you have every right to request that the endocrinologist test these exact same chemicals/hormones in-POIS.

Just wondering how does the free testorone compare to yours.  On paper doctor sent it shows that there is no reference range.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: 22/02/2009 07:20:46 »

MY experience with pois is when i ejaculate several the symptoms seem to be worse and it also takes longer to recover even after 2 day hyperness.

For these 4 ejaculations lets say I didn't do it all in one sitting, i did 2, and then about 2-3 days later I did another 2.. But the second round I felt a terrible, almost immediate pois response feeling in my head, I knew the ball was rolling again. I still feel as if your body builds up on a certain chemical but past a certain point if you orgasm and your body doesn't have much/enough of that chemical than you will experience pois until your head is back up to par.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: 22/02/2009 14:00:19 »
-It's difficult determine how much impact the thyriod medication has on the improvement as it's effect has been more gradual.  But I can tell the impact of the effect from the PS as it feels like it wears off and when I take another it feels like it kicks back in.

-I beleive the PS is made from soy (and from what I read PS is no longer made from brain because of scare from animal diseases like mad cow).
Thanks Limejuice, it seems obvious PS is responsible for your improvement. Perhaps there is a synergy between thyroid medication and PS, we never know. I searched for a link and found that thyroid help with phosphate absorption, but it's difficult to say if phosphate or serine is the active ingredient in your case.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/767955-overview
Thyroid hormone and growth hormone act to increase renal reabsorption of phosphate

By the way there was other interesting facts in this article :

Phosphate is the most abundant intracellular anion and is essential for membrane structure, energy storage, and transport in all cells. In particular, phosphate is necessary to produce ATP, which provides energy for nearly all cell functions....Phosphorus homeostasis is complex and regulated by the actions of several hormones. Parathyroid hormone causes phosphate to be released from bone and inhibits renal reabsorption of phosphorus, resulting in phosphaturia. Vitamin D aids in the intestinal reabsorption of phosphorus.

Administering carbohydrate lowers serum phosphate by stimulating the release of insulin, which moves phosphate and glucose into cells.

Catecholamines and beta-receptor agonists also stimulate phosphate uptake into cells

-About PS,  some nutritionist suggest to take it with food to be more effective.
Soy vs brain :
In my local supplement store they have brain extracts from bovine.
« Last Edit: 22/02/2009 14:03:32 by martin88 »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: 22/02/2009 15:03:10 »
This is good information.  I initially took PS for it's cortisol reducing ability which I can feel working.  Also, I do feel more energy then ever before.  For example before taking either pill my body would almost shut down at a particular time at night - mental, physical, and emotional.  However now I feel as though I can push my body easily into the night to keep going and suspect it has to do with energy.  But it's unkown whether that is attributed to the PS or T4 prescription.

Also, I am skinny - like almost unhealthy thin.  I've weighed 130lbs since eighth grade and haven't gained an once in 15 years.  I eat like a pig too, which is weird.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: 22/02/2009 15:39:47 »
Day 2(NE yesterday morning):
I felt ok yesterday but felt the effects at night, feel ok so far today but I can notice the mental shift.

Recent noteworthy consumption: cooked garlic daily, choline & inositol supplement
Recent exercise: moderate

This time I realize a common reaction to orgasm which I'm not sure I have mentioned before, deepening of my voice. Presumably this would be due to a testosterone increase. Could this be a clue to what is going on? Could POIS be a reaction to an abnormal jolt of testosterone at orgasm, and then it's decline in the system?

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: 22/02/2009 15:55:39 »
What is the latest news about fenugreek or relora? Anyone?

I still use fenugreek, and am very pleased that it's still alleviating approximately 50% of my POIS symptoms. Recovery time has been improved from 4-5 days to 2-3 days, and the symptoms are pleasantly reduced.

However, its not quite the wonderdrug that it was when I first took it. Unfortunately, I seem to quickly build up a tolerance to most kinds of drugs, and fenugreek is no exception.

Still, I should be happy that I've found a useful tool against POIS! Glad to see the thread is still going strong :)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: 22/02/2009 19:23:21 »
I felt ok yesterday but felt the effects at night, feel ok so far today but I can notice the mental shift.

Recent noteworthy consumption: cooked garlic daily, choline & inositol supplement

This time I realize a common reaction to orgasm which I'm not sure I have mentioned before, deepening of my voice. Presumably this would be due to a testosterone increase. Could this be a clue to what is going on? Could POIS be a reaction to an abnormal jolt of testosterone at orgasm, and then it's decline in the system?

This is hilarious... I believe deepening of my voice occurs too, its almost like I'm a completely different person!  I don't know if it actually "deepens" your voice, it might just be how bad pois feels that we don't feel like speaking normally.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: 22/02/2009 19:46:34 »

What is the latest news about fenugreek or relora? Anyone?

I still use fenugreek, and am very pleased that it's still alleviating approximately 50% of my POIS symptoms. Recovery time has been improved from 4-5 days to 2-3 days, and the symptoms are pleasantly reduced.

However, its not quite the wonderdrug that it was when I first took it. Unfortunately, I seem to quickly build up a tolerance to most kinds of drugs, and fenugreek is no exception.

Still, I should be happy that I've found a useful tool against POIS! Glad to see the thread is still going strong :)

Hurray, I'm glad to see that fenugreek still helps. Don't give up on the other 50%, it'll happen. As you mentioned, we're still going strong. I'd like to cure my other 25%.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: 22/02/2009 19:49:39 »

John, I feel the effects more at night, too.

Did you use raw garlic before?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3574 on: 22/02/2009 19:49:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length