The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6462574 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #3875 on: 15/03/2009 05:17:43 »

CONGRATS TO US ALL!

Our POIS thread has now exceeded 250,000 page views!

That means many more POIS sufferers/visitors/lurkers
          and hopefully, researchers and promoters
« Last Edit: 15/03/2009 05:35:21 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: 15/03/2009 05:43:41 »

My MD was thinking about testosterone shortage as well. And then he also sent me for tests on adrenals, thyroid. I don't know the truth about the human body either, Ambient. The only advice I can give is to find a good doc and get tested! Anyway, I am glad I got tested this week. Did the test in-pois feeling hellish. Results in less than 2 months. Will report back here.

Great to hear it's done! In-POIS testing? Really must have been difficult! 2 months for results??? Unheard of! We all look forward to your reporting, Rock!!

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: 15/03/2009 13:40:54 »
Another addition to my Adrenal Theory:

Apologies for boring you all with this addition to the Adrenal theory, but i thought it might be a valid point.

Because adrenal exhaustion is essentially when the Adrenal Glands are unable to produce enough of certain hormones, I can see how orgasms could be implicated in this theory.

Consider all of the hormones which are secreted during an orgasm, such as DHEA, which is secreted by the Adrenal glands. If one suffers from Adrenal Exhaustion, and is therefore unable to secrete these vital hormones during an orgasm, then it could be argued that an orgasm would aggravate the condition. I think that DHEA may be more important in this theory than others, since it is used to make Testosterone and other vital hormones. Therefore, after orgasm, without the secretion of DHEA to produce T later on, one's body remains depleted of T after orgasm, bringing with it the symptoms of POIS.

Just a thought, anyway thanks for reading this, and please deliver your thoughts.

Thanks again

Ambient

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: 15/03/2009 14:01:40 »
Yes indeed Martin, i am now running with the Adrenal Exhaustion theory.

The biggest clue for me is the complete similarity between my POIS symptoms and those of Over-stimulation and the rebound after the caffeine wears off.

The fact is, all signs point to it, and i intend to follow it up.

May i ask you to share your experiences of Sugar and Caffeine excess? They may prove very helpful to me

Also, have you tested for Adrenal Insufficiency?
Before the first orgasm, sugar was probably causing a slight difficulty to focus and very mild ocd. After the first orgasm it was more fatigue and depression.
If you answer Counterpoints's form at http://pois.olympe-network.com you'll be able to see some information about tests and caffeine. It seems that nobody here has done a "real" test(according to some MDs) for adrenal insufficiency (ACTH stimulation).

« Last Edit: 15/03/2009 14:12:56 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: 15/03/2009 17:37:24 »
Ambient, you just reminded me that I also tested DHEA-S in my last set of tests to confirm my testosterone levels. After reading your posts, I realized that I should include that in my recommendations to others interested in testosterone testing.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: 15/03/2009 17:41:13 »
Martin, do you know why some MD's are skeptical of "adrenal fatigue"?

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: 15/03/2009 18:12:40 »
I think MD's can be very ignorant and single-minded when it comes to something that hasn't been proven by Science.

For example, MD's usually dismiss Herbal remedies such as St. John's Wort and Ginseng. They prefer to prescribe SSRI's simply because their scientific value is greater. Also, if a condition such as Adrenal Exhaustion and POIS has little or no scientific proof to support it, they rarely believe it exists. It only goes to show that even scientists are ignorant in their own way

(Apologies for that) :D

Demografx, what were your levels of DHEA in the test?

Unfortunately, the Medical Centre in my town is closed all weekend, and i have to wait until tomorrow now to make an appointment.

Does anyone have any advice as to what i should say to the doctor to make Adrenal Exhaustion sound more believable to him?

Offline Whoa

• View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: 15/03/2009 19:22:02 »
I can identify with the overeating of sugars during adolescence and generally "feeling" like I lacked testosterone, esp after orgasm. Linked or not.

Following up from earlier posts where I was wanting to increase my testosterone naturally: in the past three months I've been going to the gym more and more - I'm now up to 3-4 days in a week and practicing strenuous resistance and cardio training - and balancing it with good sleep and healthy diet - Lots of proteins like chicken breast and walnuts, simple carbs like rice, veggies (esp spinach), fruits and 100% fruit juice, and oatmeal for breakfast everyday, and some necessary fats of course. Not drinking much alcohol or eating candy.

The POIS had pretty much became less and less and then went away for a while...

That is until today. I last worked out on Thursday, and today is Sunday (so I will be going into the gym tonight). In the past few days I've been stressed out because of work and family matters, lost sleep, caught a cold, and skipped some meals. And this morning I unloaded about 1 gallon of seminal fluid. Subsequently, I've got some POIS symptoms this morning for the first time in over a month. It's not horrible, but due to the mild cold symptoms and POIS symptoms, I will be resting today and avoiding social situations.

Offline Whoa

• View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: 15/03/2009 19:41:14 »
By the way, this was one of the articles that motivated me to try to increase my natural testosterone.

newbielink:http://www.ivannikolov.com/bodybuilding-articles/all/increase-testosterone-bioavailability.htm [nonactive]

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: 15/03/2009 19:53:49 »
Hey there Whoa,

It sounds like our situations are very similar then, seeing as though my POIS is related to over-consumption of caffeine and sugar in my early teens.

I would recommend that you see a doctor, because they can help you to replenish your Testosterone levels and you won't have to work out so much to avoid POIS.

Although i do admire your ability to self-treat your POIS and am glad that you have managed to avoid POIS symptoms for the most part.

If i may ask, Whoa, were your symptoms like mine?:

Depression
Cloudy thinking
Poor attention and concentration
Fatigue
Low motivation
etc.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: 15/03/2009 20:09:26 »
EMAIL TODAY FROM DR. DAVE SCHWEITZER, ENDOCRINOLOGIST AND CO-AUTHOR WITH DR. WALDINGER OF FIRST STUDY ON POIS IN 2002

Original Message -----

To:         [Demografx]

Sent:       Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:56 AM

Subject:    RE: POIS wikipedia

Dear Sir,

Your efforts highly appreciated.

Good work and lots of success

Best wishes

Dave Schweitzer
« Last Edit: 15/03/2009 22:34:39 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: 15/03/2009 23:39:50 »

Demografx, what were your levels of DHEA in the test?

Does anyone have any advice as to what i should say to the doctor to make Adrenal Exhaustion sound more believable to him?

I'll pull out the files a bit later to see DHEA levels.

Meanwhile, I would strongly suggest minimizing or avoiding "AE" chat and to focus more on symptoms.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: 15/03/2009 23:42:00 »
Whoa, many thanks for bringing us up to date! Best wishes.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: 15/03/2009 23:48:39 »
Ambient, my last DHEA-S results: 892 ng/mL  ref: 500 - 4000

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: 16/03/2009 00:39:00 »
Ambient, an afterthought: I have a very confident/secure endocrinologist yet he has me written up for "hypogonadism".

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: 16/03/2009 01:41:39 »
I suppose that hypogonadism is a symptom of exhausted adrenals...or at least i think so.

Thanks for sharing your results. In comparison to your results, what qualifies as a normal DHEA level? is it 500-4000?

Offline Whoa

• View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: 16/03/2009 01:46:16 »
Hey there Whoa,

It sounds like our situations are very similar then, seeing as though my POIS is related to over-consumption of caffeine and sugar in my early teens.

I would recommend that you see a doctor, because they can help you to replenish your Testosterone levels and you won't have to work out so much to avoid POIS.

Although i do admire your ability to self-treat your POIS and am glad that you have managed to avoid POIS symptoms for the most part.

If i may ask, Whoa, were your symptoms like mine?:

Depression
Cloudy thinking
Poor attention and concentration
Fatigue
Low motivation
etc.

Pretty much that entire list, but mainly: physical/mental fatigue, dehydration, joint pain, voice cracks and is higher pitched, achy testicular region, social anxiety, etc.

Today's POIS, mainly just physical fatigue/dehydration, minor join discomfort, tenderness in testicular region.

I'm going to keep going with the natural ways to increase testosterone as it has been working - however, I suppose it would be awesome to do a before/after test to see just how much natural remedies work.

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: 16/03/2009 01:56:47 »
Indeed, Whoa, I don't intend to treat myself with hormones. Im going to get tested by my doctor, and if Adrenal Insufficiency is the cause, and Testosterone and DHEA are low, i will follow his treatment as he sees fit.

I'm glad that the natural remedies are working for you. :D

May i ask your current method of treatment is?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: 16/03/2009 04:56:20 »
I suppose that hypogonadism is a symptom of exhausted adrenals...or at least i think so.

Thanks for sharing your results. In comparison to your results, what qualifies as a normal DHEA level? is it 500-4000?

Yes.

Ambient, the point of my mentioning hypogonadism is that it is an "accepted" diagnosis medically, for labwork, insurance, etc. It makes no "noise" in the medical bureaucracy, as POIS would, the latter being unrecognized.

When discussing "AE" with a physician, perhaps you can approach it with him this way, using a diagnostic term more universally "acceptable". Just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: 16/03/2009 05:42:21 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: 16/03/2009 05:30:53 »
Someone made a comment earlier about the "ignorance" of physicians in dismissing something as "non-scientific".

Not denying there is ignorance everywhere, I can understand the dilemma. There are thousands of unrecognized or controversial maladies and treatments, some legitimate and some suspicious.

Physicians would be hard presssed to thoroughly investigate each and every unrecognized malady and treatment singlehandedly. So distinguishing legitimate from suspicious becomes a most difficult if not impossible task.

Unfortunately, it's up to us to "work within the system" if we are to get anywhere with POIS. Anyway, that's been my approach.

And of course, we can combine Western medicine with naturopathy and Eastern techniques and supplements if we so desire. But don't expect one side to validate the other. That's up to us.

Early on, I did successfully "bully" my way in with self-diagnosed POIS with a few physicians...but it was exhausting work! They put me through the paces and would take as little individual responsibility as possible. So I would have to work with 2 doctors instead of one.
« Last Edit: 16/03/2009 07:55:30 by demografx »

Offline Staystrong

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: 16/03/2009 08:49:14 »
Hey everyone..... Wow..... at last I know I am not crazy. I have been suffering from POIS for 15 years,,, I am 30 and started to feel POIS as early as my early teens. I have read just about all 165 pages of this forum and can relate to everyone of you. I have a lot of information about certain things that I have found to work and not work. I dont want to go into all of that right now.... I dont have a magical cure.... I am still searching for one myself...... but I have learned to live with this terrible "disease" if you want to call it that. I hope some of my findings help some of you and together we can all get through this somehow.

Offline Staystrong

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: 16/03/2009 08:51:07 »
I look forward to getting to know all of you and exchanging information.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: 16/03/2009 17:04:01 »
Staystrong, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

We look forward to more of your posts.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - who often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community.

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of this forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus 250,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 16/03/2009 19:24:31 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: 16/03/2009 17:35:42 »
I have a question.
How can be scientifically explained lower back pain after and during a flu ?
( I mean a normal flu during winter )

Blood vessels dilate, and there is increased blood flow to the kidneys, which causes inflammation, which can cause lower back pain. (normal flu explanation).

If you are connecting this to POIS, there could be an adrenal explanation, since the adrenals are on the kidneys, and those with adrenal problems can have lower back pain.
« Last Edit: 16/03/2009 19:19:53 by Counterpoints »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: 16/03/2009 19:04:10 »
Hormone Tests

The doctor prefered thyriod test is a pituitary hormone called TSH, not Free T4 or Free T3.  The doctor prefered testosterone test is not the pituitary hormone LH, its the free Testosterone.

Why are different doctor ordered hormone tests inconsistant - some test the pituitary, others test the free blood levels?

For my thyriod, the TSH was high but free T3 and T4 were normal.  For my testosterone, the free testosterone was normal (I didn't test the pituitary hormone LH). 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3899 on: 16/03/2009 19:04:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length