The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6433349 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4025 on: 04/04/2009 23:12:33 »

If there is a chronic deficiency, it will likely be picked up during in-POIS testing or out-of-POIS testing.

I really don't see how a chronic deficiency can be picked up during in-POIS testing. If, for example, testosterone drops dramatically, but in-POIS only (only after orgasm), how would we know looking at the in-POIS results that this is just a momentary drop or a chronic one?

I started out intending to do in-POIS testing, but my interest in moving more quickly is why I accidentally found the benefit of out-of-POIS testing. I'm glad I did.

If my results in-POIS came back on testosterone, I don't see how the next step, treatment recommendation, could be made reliably and accurately.

I think out-of-POIS testing is a more reasonable starting point. At least it worked out that way in my case.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2009 23:49:40 by demografx »

Offline ajs

• View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: 05/04/2009 01:27:53 »
look at candida symptoms for link between histamine and carbs

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: 05/04/2009 02:52:53 »

If there is a chronic deficiency, it will likely be picked up during in-POIS testing or out-of-POIS testing.

I really don't see how a chronic deficiency can be picked up during in-POIS testing. If, for example, testosterone drops dramatically, but in-POIS only (only after orgasm), how would we know looking at the in-POIS results that this is just a momentary drop or a chronic one?

I started out intending to do in-POIS testing, but my interest in moving more quickly is why I accidentally found the benefit of out-of-POIS testing. I'm glad I did.

If my results in-POIS came back on testosterone, I don't see how the next step, treatment recommendation, could be made reliably and accurately.

I think out-of-POIS testing is a more reasonable starting point. At least it worked out that way in my case.

If there's a problem, in-POIS testing is more likely to identify it than out of POIS testing.  You may not know whether the problem is chronic, or not, but you know it exists.  If there is a positive result, you follow up with repeat tests.  On the other hand, a normal out-of-POIS test may make it more difficult to proceed with further testing: you may no longer feel urgency to repeat tests, and your physician may not either.

Therefore, in this medical system, starting with an in-POIS test (with follow-up tests) appears more rational, in the balance of probabilities.  If an in-POIS test is normal, I would still consider an out-of-POIS test though.
« Last Edit: 05/04/2009 02:59:31 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: 05/04/2009 05:36:46 »

If there's a problem, in-POIS testing is more likely to identify it than out of POIS testing.  You may not know whether the problem is chronic, or not, but you know it exists.  If there is a positive result, you follow up with repeat tests.  On the other hand, a normal out-of-POIS test may make it more difficult to proceed with further testing: you may no longer feel urgency to repeat tests, and your physician may not either.

Therefore, in this medical system, starting with an in-POIS test (with follow-up tests) appears more rational, in the balance of probabilities.  If an in-POIS test is normal, I would still consider an out-of-POIS test though.

Good points, CP, but unfortunately follow-up testing, vs. immediate treatment seems to be the outcome of in-POIS testing. And I was very happy to minimize my number of required tests. Still, I had to repeat my out-of-POIS test to see if the treatment in fact increased testosterone.

Maybe I was lucky, because I was able to go right into treatment mode (after MRI ruled out tumors). And since testosterone is my POIS culprit (the treatment worked), I don't have to worry about finding any other POIS culprit with added in-POIS testing.

But you're right that generally, in-POIS testing does seem to be the better starting point, because others may not be so lucky with problem detection. And because of the likely reluctance to re-test after a normal out-of-POIS test, as you point out.

I wish there were a way to accommodate the best of both worlds without repeat testing!

I have a question: why would you recommend an out-of-POIS test if in-POIS testing results are normal?
« Last Edit: 05/04/2009 06:01:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: 05/04/2009 05:58:04 »

look at candida symptoms for link between histamine and carbs

Hi ajs, are you a POIS sufferer?

Offline ajs

• View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: 05/04/2009 13:24:39 »
YES! I am a 36 and a chic who developed pois after shingles which now i am not sure thats what i really had 3 years ago. Now my pois hell has turned into an everyday hell which is a 1000x aggrevated by orgasm. I have been watching site for 2 years and reading everything but i can't stand typing so i never chimed in until someone was kinda on the same path or theory i was...Histamine and candida only because my symptoms(which r the same as everyone's) has progressed to acid reflux,hives after everything i eat and excema.Started candida diet and started on diflucan for systemic fungus and have on off days but have not felt this good in years...i dont know if its the answer but it could?? be the underlying condition...hormones,neurotransmitters,immune system

Offline ajs

• View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: 05/04/2009 14:15:01 »
.....check out candidafree.net and absoluteastronomy.com/topics/histamine.....caution! I am a big dumb animal when it comes to computers :) so i dont know how to put links on here

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: 05/04/2009 22:02:00 »
hey guys

this is my second day on relora and already I am starting to feel like as I did a few years ago....... normal.  last night I went to bed at 6 am and woke up this morning at 1030... and I feel like I had a full nights rest, a lot better than I did while sleeping about 12 hours a night.  I just feel a lot normal, relaxed, and everything is just right.  My focus has gone up 10 fold and I feel friggin awesome.   [8D]  I haven't orgasmed yet but I intend on not doing it because I just love the way I am feeling right now a bit too much.  Although I believe orgasm will just make me more relaxed now.  Relora is the cure, at least for me    [O8)]

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: 05/04/2009 23:01:58 »
GC, great to hear about your Relora experience. I hope it sustains!

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: 05/04/2009 23:16:30 »

Good points, CP, but unfortunately follow-up testing, vs. immediate treatment seems to be the outcome of in-POIS testing. And I was very happy to minimize my number of required tests. Still, I had to repeat my out-of-POIS test to see if the treatment in fact increased testosterone.

Maybe I was lucky, because I was able to go right into treatment mode (after MRI ruled out tumors). And since testosterone is my POIS culprit (the treatment worked), I don't have to worry about finding any other POIS culprit with added in-POIS testing.

But you're right that generally, in-POIS testing does seem to be the better starting point, because others may not be so lucky with problem detection. And because of the likely reluctance to re-test after a normal out-of-POIS test, as you point out.

I wish there were a way to accommodate the best of both worlds without repeat testing!

I have a question: why would you recommend an out-of-POIS test if in-POIS testing results are normal?

Because it is nice to have a "reference point" from abnormal symptoms.  e.g. an in-POIS test might seem normal, but it could be revealing to see how things change out of POIS.

On another note, it's nice to hear that you continue to do well!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: 05/04/2009 23:24:48 »

ajs, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

The consensus at this forum to heal your POIS, is to start with hormonal bloodtesting, preferably with an endocrinologist.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community.

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 250,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: 06/04/2009 04:54:32 »
SOME TESTOSTERONE TESTING

Someone here asked me privately for my "free testosterone" testing results (much more was tested), so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else is interested:

Before POIS treatment:
(December 2, '08)
                                    reference range

%FREE T            1.47 %           1.5 - 2.2
FREE T             24.4 pg/mL        35 - 155

After POIS treatment:
(March 2, '09 after about 6 weeks of wearing T-patches)

%FREE T             1.45 %             1.5 - 2.2
FREE T              37.0 pg/mL          35 - 155

Free T jumped 50%, from 24.4 to 37.0. Effect: 90% POIS cure.

Endocrinologist expects the numbers to keep increasing through June. If they don't, he'll switch me from Androderm T-patches 10mg daily to a pump gel to increase my testosterone.
« Last Edit: 06/04/2009 05:08:04 by demografx »

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: 06/04/2009 12:11:44 »
Hey guys, my results came through, and it would appear that my cortisol is normal...so i'm quite frustrated today. lol

One question i had about this for you Demografx, or anyone else who can answer it:

Does cortisol levels indicate Testosterone Levels, or will only T testing indicate T levels?

I am asking this because my T theory still holds up, and as someone said earlier, all POIS seems to be related to T in some way. Certainly seems to be in my case.

Thanks

Ambient

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: 06/04/2009 18:18:12 »
Interesting ideas B_Jim.  I also think, in my case, there is an "addiction" component.  Sometimes it takes me several orgasms to get "free" of POIS -- but this freedom is temporary.  A day or two later, I often end up with severe symptoms, which include intense "cravings for release". 

Here is an interesting article about the male neurological response to orgasm: http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/reprint/23/27/9185
It is one of the most detailed studies I have seen.  Now we have studies on the neuro-endocrine and neurological response.  (Probably good to add to the database).  There is a connection in how heroin and orgasm both affect the ventral tegmental area (VTA).

Other useful links:
1) Interview with Dr. Gert Holstege: http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/mind/stories/s1407052.htm

2) Central nervous system control of ejaculation.
Author: Holstege G.
Publisher: World Journal of Urolology. 2005 May 4;
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15875196&query_hl=1

3) The Emotional Brain: Neural Correlates Of Cat Sexual Behavior And Human Male Ejaculation
Author: Holstege, G., Georgiadis, J.R.
Publisher: Progress In Brain Research, vol. 143, 39-45, 2004.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14653149&query_hl=3
« Last Edit: 06/04/2009 22:40:53 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: 06/04/2009 18:18:58 »
Ambient,

A cortisol test is not adequate to infer testosterone levels.  Get a free and total testosterone test.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: 06/04/2009 20:12:31 »
I have read that people are getting results with RELORA, so I have bought some and will try it myself... I think I am also suffering from POIS for around 2 years now....

How much RELORA are people taking?
How long before poeple are seeing results?

I have read a lot of this HUGE group and have not really seen these numbers.

Thanks!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: 06/04/2009 22:23:16 »
Fascinating articles, Counterpoints!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: 06/04/2009 22:27:52 »
B_Jim, terrific expose on Histamine!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: 06/04/2009 22:33:19 »
POIS DIARY

Last night needed over 12 hours sleep. Today is Day One. I feel pretty good now. I wonder if 8x activity since 3/19 finally caught up with me. Prior to POIS treatment that amount of activity would've certainly landed me in the hospital or morgue!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: 06/04/2009 22:40:43 »
Counterpoints, I read that LH test may be important to properly read T results for AMBIENT. And how about bioavailable T, FSH?

My understanding of Free T is that it can be tricky to determine the "true" level of Free T vs. binding T.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: 06/04/2009 22:53:57 »
demo,

I understand you on a testosterone patch? are these OTC or perscribed?

guess my next step is to have my T checked, looks like we are not 100% clear yet on what to have checked... which on the many T numbers.....

I am trying RELOARA right now... just waiting for it to "kick" in... not sure what to expect yet.

Thanks!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: 07/04/2009 00:49:39 »

POIS-SUFFERER, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

The consensus at this forum to heal your POIS, is to start with hormonal bloodtesting, preferably with an endocrinologist.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community.

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 250,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: 07/04/2009 00:58:47 »
For POIS-SUFFERER and others: there are some variations of opinion about what to test, here at the forum, so you may wish to ask others as well.

MY ENDOCRINOLOGIST'S LABWORK ORDERED FOR POIS

-PROLACTIN

-TESTOSTERONE(Bioavailable Testosterone, Free Testosterone, Total Testosterone, [SHGB] Sex Hormone Globulin Binding)

-DHEA-SULFATE

-FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)

-LH (Luteinizing Hormone)

-TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone)

-CORTISOL AM

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: 07/04/2009 01:03:26 »

demo, I understand you on a testosterone patch? are these OTC or prescribed?

Prescribed. By my endocrinologist. Only after bloodtesting of the hormones in my just-previous post, and then an MRI of the pituitary to rule out tumors.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: 07/04/2009 01:08:19 »

How much RELORA are people taking?
How long before poeple are seeing results?

P-S, here are some previous forum discussions about Relora:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=relora+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com

After clicking the above link, you then click on a link of a discussion that is of interest to you, and use Ctrl+F and type keyword(s) to zero in on the specific post you're looking for.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4049 on: 07/04/2009 01:08:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums