The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6455329 times)

Offline rock27

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4075 on: 09/04/2009 17:04:09 »
Testing day
Happened according to plan. Did the before and after release tests. At the hospital they were very surprised about my re-testing but that's ok. Didn't care to explain.

This time I watched my initital sensations closely. After release I felt lots of things happening in my body, particularly left kidney/adrenals area was pumping and pumping. Heartbeat @ 120 up from 60-70. Also head felt strange. Very strong sensations first 20 minutes.

I'll take a long run now to get rid of my supposedly excess cortisol / testosterone. I do have symptoms of this excess, so I guess it's true. I notice I actually have lots and lots of energy once I get moving. It's just the mind that doesn't feel like doing much. Tomorrow weightlifting to build up my testosterone. I read some i-articles on the effects of running and weightlifting on testosterone and cortisol, don't know if all the effects are true but I'm happy to try it :)

Next week I'll hopefully have the test results. So I'll be fully prepared for doc's visit. :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: 09/04/2009 19:53:32 »
Rocky, that is terrific. Many thanks for sharing the experience!

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: 10/04/2009 06:03:52 »
I'm still digesting my Claritin/Histamine experiment of nearly 3 weeks ago. My early POIS symptoms are clearly first felt in my skin. I have to assume that the histamine receptors in my skin were interfered with. The mild depression I felt for a few days I attribute to Claritin. Claritin is not a cure for POIS, but it may show in some of us that histamines play a role in POIS. If so, it seems logical that any blunting of POIS triggers of any kind will be desireable. I think that careful observation of very early signs of any physical discomfort or subtle change post "O" will be helpful in providing clues as to how this thing (POIS) unfolds in each of us and how it can be effectively neutralized. A little good news in our fight against POIS goes a long way. I did not mention in regards to my Claritin experiment that I had also added the following to my supplements a few days before that experiment: Iron 25mg--Manganese 50mg--Zinc 30mg--B6 100mg (I also kicked up my Calcium intake)--These could have played a part along with my conscious effort to eat a lot of blueberries and cherries.

Offline underwater

• View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: 10/04/2009 06:23:02 »
Demo--
I definitely think there is light at the end of the tunnel. This forum has shown the individuality and complexity of POIS. There are ways to diminish POIS, and this forum gets a hell of a lot of credit!! It truly is amazing what collective effort can do. However, plenty of work remains. Even if there are chemical therapies that are effective, it probably still takes a long time to re-introduce the nervous system to a normal, healthy post orgasmic experience. And because something may appear to be helpful, something else may be better and safer yet.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: 10/04/2009 12:23:37 »
hi, i havent posted here in a while and hmm, i have a question relating to libido in POIS;
i have recently done 2 (in a row to confirm) free testosterone tests (prescribed by GP) that showed that i am well below the normal range (i am 29).
yet i would consider myself a very high libido person; actually my libido seems to come in phases and well as, i suppose, my POIS related tiredness.
of course having bouts of high libido isn't going to help me with POIS.
how could that be explained? i have always thought that low testosterone = low libido ? am i burning myself out hormonally ?

on another note, possibly unrelated: i have been experimenting with 5HTP recently (i think it is illegal without prescription in france, but dont tell anyone... ;)) and it doesnt solve POIS i think but it does help my general anxiety and helps me have better sleep on the whole; which means i tend to be less achy, shivery in mornings (as i always am now); i am also trying glutamine and NAC to boost my immune function; thats following recurrent problems with staph aureus...

speaking of which, has anyone here done some bacterial, viral or fungal testing since the symptoms (flulike, fatigue, shivers, weakness etc) fit infectious symptoms as well
« Last Edit: 10/04/2009 13:55:35 by mister_z »

Offline Ambient123

• View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: 10/04/2009 13:42:34 »
Hey guys

Was just wondering if a theory regarding a deficiency of serotonin had ever been discussed on this forum as a cause of POIS?

I noticed that one or more people had improvements in POIS with SSRIs

Thanks

Ambient

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: 10/04/2009 13:50:06 »
Was just wondering if a theory regarding a deficiency of serotonin had ever been discussed on this forum as a cause of POIS?

I noticed that one or more people had improvements in POIS with SSRIs

well lack of serotonin, AFAIK, lowers immune system (i read some scientific papers about the interaction of serotonin and immune system), can eventually make it unbalanced. Low serotonin seems to also lower threshold of pain; so one could theoritically feel in more pain with severe serotonin depletion.
POIS as far as i read here (i didnt read every single message tbh) is possibly a mix of depleted hormones and neurotransmiters leading to some inflammatory problems.

someone here (myself too but i tried to mostly out of general curiosity) tried 5HTP with some success

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: 10/04/2009 21:12:56 »
Mister_z, welcome back. Low testosterone = low libido is certainly my experience. And with successful T-treatment, the libido seems to go ballistic :)
« Last Edit: 11/04/2009 00:04:02 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: 11/04/2009 00:01:45 »
Underwater, many thanks for your upbeat yet realistic assessment of our group progress. And it explains why it takes time to be 100% POIS-free, even with powerful remedies.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: 11/04/2009 00:06:37 »
Mister_z, welcome back. Low testosterone = low libido is certainly my experience. And with successful T-treatment, the libido seemed to go ballistic :)
im probably insane then...
im getting quite discouraged tbh; i have tried just about everything i could try... i have an appointment with an endocrinologist soon but i have a feeling it is a waste of time. as usual the doctor is probably gonna go something like "oh i guess its just this; or that, in all case its probably all in your head; no need to do further testing, goodbye"

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: 11/04/2009 01:57:22 »
Mister_z, don't get discouraged! POIS ruined a good chunk of my life, but I kept hoping for results and trying things that failed for over 30 years. Seeing an endocrinologist - thanks to this forum - finally put me on a cure path! And I'm convinced that many who are following this approach will see results eventually.

Be proactive. Be steady. Be firm with him. Don't let him jerk you around! Sadly, you know more than he does and some docs are just plain lazy, resistant or fall back on "only what's in the medical literature". Maybe even embarrassed to admit that they have no idea what POIS is. But if you can get into a partnership mode with him, this could be the final answer for you! For the labwork, my endo wrote down "hypogonadism" - I don't care what he calls it, I just wanted results! So I got 3 bloodtests plus an MRI of the brain. Plus an Rx for testosterone patches with which I have seen astonishing results, for me. Everyone's different. But researching our possible hormonal anomalies seems to be a great starting point for most of us.

Show the endocrinologist the NY Times article (It's N O T "all in your head"!),
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=3&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

Show him Dr Waldinger's paper, the original POIS study co-authored by an endocrinologist! Send a private message to "pyropeach" here with your regular email address and he'll send you a copy.

Tell the endo about this forum. Which is part of a website started by serious medical researchers, science academics and the like from prestigious universities. B_Jim has summarized over 230 cases of POIS here at the forum plus others on the web!
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

There is even a POIS video, created by Girlwind, that you can point him to:

If you tell him all this and he still thinks it's a crock, have him arrested! No, just kidding :D

YOU'RE CLOSER THAN YOU THINK!! Please let us know your progress.

Best wishes, Mister_z!! No guarantees, but this forum has been on a fast track of individual progress and curative treatments thanks to the collective genius of this group :)
« Last Edit: 11/04/2009 02:35:53 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: 11/04/2009 04:42:37 »
I was reading something that might interest everyone, especially demografx.  Apparently SSRIs can increase prolactin, and even cause hyperprolactinemia.  But it seems that Zoloft (Sertraline) does not do this.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p0wmcalmr2r7xkrk/fulltext.pdf?page=1

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: 11/04/2009 10:17:32 »
Thanks, Counterpoints, I was concerned about that. I have 20 years' use of SSRI's and SNRI's, wondering if they're useless or not, but when I discontinue them, I think (imaginary?) that I get slightly worse, so I go back to them.

My psychiatrist appreciates and respects this forum, so I'll bring it up with her. And show my endocrinologist.

Thanks again!

« Last Edit: 11/04/2009 10:20:43 by demografx »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: 11/04/2009 22:50:16 »

speaking of which, has anyone here done some bacterial, viral or fungal testing since the symptoms (flulike, fatigue, shivers, weakness etc) fit infectious symptoms as well

Mister_Z, what sort of bacterial/fungal testing did you have in mind?

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: 11/04/2009 23:31:08 »
well mainly searching for staph. aureus and also fungi of all kind (mostly candida tho)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: 12/04/2009 05:33:09 »
I would just like to say that I have orgasmed 3 times the other day with 0 bad effects afterwards...all thanks to relora... this whole experience changed me, i am not as often addicted to sex as I once was

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: 12/04/2009 07:29:18 »
Very good, GC.

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: 12/04/2009 10:48:36 »
I would just like to say that I have orgasmed 3 times the other day with 0 bad effects afterwards...all thanks to relora... this whole experience changed me, i am not as often addicted to sex as I once was

Goingcrazy, how often do you take Relora and at what dosage?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: 13/04/2009 00:27:39 »
POIS DIARY

Day One, testosterone therapy continues to work. Apparently, the last Day One report of feeling flushed was not due to treatment failure, which I was concerned about.
« Last Edit: 13/04/2009 19:44:47 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: 13/04/2009 04:42:15 »

Goingcrazy, how often do you take Relora and at what dosage?

I take 2 pills a day, at 300 milligrams a pill.  I usually take one at lunchtime and the other around 8 or a few hours before I go to bed.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: 13/04/2009 19:37:25 »
I hope everyone had a good Easter or Passover!

Demo
« Last Edit: 13/04/2009 19:46:07 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: 13/04/2009 23:02:05 »
B_Jim, I can't LIVE without chocolate!
 ;D
« Last Edit: 14/04/2009 01:26:50 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: 14/04/2009 01:54:13 »
Whats not to love about a giant bunny passing out chocolate?!

Relora doesn't work for me.  I took Relora for two weeks, three times a day, and Saturday I had an aweful NE.

I'm now trying Tribulus Terrestris - its basically like swallowing testosterone.  TT, short for Tribulus Terrestris, stimulates LH that stimulates testosterone.  Perhaps tomorrow I'll wake up grunting and swearing about overgrown body hair. I hope.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: 14/04/2009 03:48:27 »
Limejuice, as long as the body hair doesn't appear on your palms :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: 14/04/2009 18:49:19 »
Foster, your post contains advertising, which we do not allow (e.g., your telephone number).

Please be careful in future posts. Individual experience with POIS is what we discuss here.

We have had mixed results with TCM. They did not work at all for me. Testosterone works for me amazingly well, but yes we're all different.
« Last Edit: 14/04/2009 18:55:20 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4099 on: 14/04/2009 18:49:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length