The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430327 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4150 on: 22/04/2009 00:02:01 »

Question... how long does it normally take for others to feel the affects? I feel them within minutes.

Effects of POIS? Minutes for me.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: 22/04/2009 00:09:15 »
Underwater, strange I thought I posted this before. Oh, well.

I have Cortizone-10, but the itching occurs underneath the testosterone patch. But thankfully, it doesn't happen too often.

Offline nTonic

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: 22/04/2009 14:08:09 »
Hi everyone,

Since the last time I posted I tried Clarityn. Unfortunately it didn't help.

Recently I decided to give Relora a try. I first tried taking it two times a day, and one tablet a time. It made me incredibly tired. So I tried to take one tablet after release and before I sleep. Usually, the sleep after release was of very bad quality and I would wake up with sore eyes and fatigue. But the day after relora was okay and I didn't oversleep as well. However, on that day I had a near-migraine attack (I suspected it was the DHEA that caused an imbalance of estrogen).

But I thought since it didn't kill me I might as well try again. So two days ago after release I took one tablet and slept. Again, I didn't oversleep but woke up like 6 hours later (usually I oversleep after release and felt as if I didn't sleep for 3 days after waking up), feeling strange and decided to sleep for 2 more hours. That was the most restful 2 hours I had ever had after an orgasm! The whole day I felt quite refreshed, without sore eyes and back pain.

So yesterday night I tried again (a tablet after release). Again, I woke up 6 hours later and tried going back to sleep (it's been quite difficult, my body felt tired but my mind couldn't rest. I wonder if it had anything to do with the cortisol). And the rest after waking up was refreshing-ish as well (as the rest after waking up the first time wasn't of too high of a quality I guess). There was still a bit of a sore eyes and back pain but it was much better than without having taken the tablet.

After such a long story, I found that Relora was kinda useful in lessening my symptoms. But I'll keep trying and see if it continues to work. :)

Thanks so much for people in this forum for sharing your ideas and opinions, without which I wouldn't even have thought of it having anything to do with hormones :D
« Last Edit: 23/04/2009 00:29:29 by nTonic »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: 22/04/2009 17:35:16 »
Good luck B_Jim

nTonic - I get a splitting headache if I take beyond the recommended dose of Relora.

Demo - I aspire to feel like you do :)
« Last Edit: 22/04/2009 20:37:59 by Limejuice »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: 22/04/2009 21:38:26 »

Demo - I aspire to feel like you do :)

Limejuice, let's make it happen!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: 22/04/2009 21:43:50 »
nTonic, great work and great reporting! Like you, without this forum I wouldn't have suspected hormones as POIS culprits.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: 22/04/2009 21:59:07 »

I think it's remarkable that all of us (I think?) who have had pituitary MRIs, have found something somewhat interesting. (Pyropeach, Demografx, Me). If we were just to take 3 random people from the population, and scan the pituitary, (from what I know), there is less than a (1/10)^3 = 1 in 1000 chance this would happen.

Counterpoints, very interesting observation!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: 22/04/2009 22:06:11 »

antimorbit, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

The consensus at this forum to heal your POIS, is to start with hormonal bloodtesting, preferably with an endocrinologist.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community.

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 250,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: 22/04/2009 22:52:22 »
From last year, but I thought this was interesting enough to re-post - demo

ORGASM RESEARCH

Interesting article in the news yesterday [Feb 2008]

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/scimedemail/la-he-orgasm11feb11,0,7196643.story

about nervous system/brain research on orgasm. They said it's just now starting to be understood. Some names in the article: Barry Komisaruk, Prof/author, Rutgers; Dr. Gert Holstege, Univ. of Groningen, Netherlands; Beverly Whipple, retired Rutgers, author of "Science of Orgasm".
« Last Edit: 22/04/2009 22:56:30 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: 23/04/2009 01:11:44 »
Good luck B_Jim.

Offline Nick_B_85

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: 23/04/2009 02:51:30 »
Here's a copy of the email I just sent an old friend:

Hey Josh,

I have good news!

During a med-clinic at the Four County Counciling Center I mentioned my Brain Fog symptoms to the Advanced Practice Nurse in order to clarify the circumstances of the panic attacks I had had a few times recently. She reacted with curiosity, and when I described the symptoms in detail, she said it sounded like ADD. She said that, with what I had told her, she "would be remiss" if she didn't prescribe a psychostimulant such as Adderall or Ritalin.

So, last Thursday I started Adderall and it has brought me an unbelievable relief from the Brain Fog!! Truth be told, even without being celebate I feel better on the Adderall than I did when celebate before. I have a bountiful store of energy, and my mind is much more focused. I've been able to sit down and apply my self to my studies with wonderful results. My mood is lifted and my hopes for the future have finally become the aspirations that motivate my actions in the present.

I now have the resources to work through my Depression and Social Phobia, and get back to where I belong... in school! Four County is helping me to find work that suits my inclinations and needs, and once I have a stable job, I will start taking classes again.

So congratulate me!

Later,

Nick

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: 23/04/2009 05:08:53 »
Nick_B_85 well... this is interesting.... not sure what to think of that!

PS.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: 23/04/2009 05:55:04 »
I'm late but thank you Rock for your information, this was helpful, specially your day 3 testosterone test and the post about chinese medicine.
I'm wondering if the high testosterone right after orgasm could be caused by sexual arousal rather than orgasm..

Counterpoints, your statistic about pituitary is disconcerting. Unfortunately it's not easy to have a MRI done.
Interesting about antidepressants and prolactin. If prolactin is linked with sexual satisfaction it can eventually be good when sexually abstinent.
Also found that Deprenyl (was mentioned here recently) is helpful to treat cushing (veterinary usage !)

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: 23/04/2009 05:58:28 »
I'm wondering if the high testosterone right after orgasm could be caused by sexual arousal rather than orgasm..

I can get maybe 70% POIS :-) just from over stimulation and NO O! hmmm....

PS.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: 23/04/2009 06:17:43 »
B_JIM,

Do you really need sugar to do that, 2 O's would do it for me! Seems overkill.....

Hi PS, I think B_Jim really wants to find something after a life of frustrating normal tests results when in fact nothing is perfect. But same for me about 2 orgasms.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: 23/04/2009 06:36:25 »
I really think this whole thing is caused by soaring prolactin which in turn lowers testosterone production.  So celibacy could probably lower prolactin levels so your testosterone could get back up to par.  I also wouldn't be surprised if i had a prolactinoma... and dopamine levels rise after remaining celibate so maybe if there is one it could shrink.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: 23/04/2009 06:49:05 »

I can get maybe 70% POIS :-) just from over stimulation and NO O! hmmm....

PS.
Since you are supposed to feel good during sex I think something happens somewhere to make you feel good even if it's temporary.
I just wanted to bring up the possibility that if a test value is changed after orgasm it can be from something else. For example noradrenaline is increased just before orgasm. As usual I'm swimming in the unknown !
In fact I don't even know if testosterone is really higher after orgasm but there was several reports about this.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: 23/04/2009 06:49:45 »
martin88,

Yes I was not being sarcastic, rather, I was thinking that "overdosing" on both at the same time would lead to not knowing what really cased the potentially high/low results of the test.... I would think you need to do one or the other and test twice :-( not an easy task for many reasons!

I too am getting very tired of this whole thing as it is really ruining my life! If I could just put SEX and O's behind me I think I would be OK.... until I got stuffed on too many carbs....

PS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: 23/04/2009 08:57:33 »
I really think this whole thing is caused by soaring prolactin which in turn lowers testosterone production.  So celibacy could probably lower prolactin levels so your testosterone could get back up to par.  I also wouldn't be surprised if i had a prolactinoma... and dopamine levels rise after remaining celibate so maybe if there is one it could shrink.

I have "soaring prolactin" which seems to be hyperprolactinemia. According to wikipedia, it is often caused by Rx drugs such as Reglan. With my endo's concurrence, I quit Reglan and combined with my daily testosterone patches, I hope to see my June bloodtest show a decreased prolactin count (my last tests show prolactin to be 4X average!)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: 23/04/2009 09:03:30 »
Nick, Adderall has helped me enormously, similar to the way you describe.
« Last Edit: 23/04/2009 20:19:57 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: 23/04/2009 09:23:02 »
B_Jim, I am like POIS-SUFFERER, 2X for me is "le petit mort"  - overkill. I had 3X a few days ago and it reduced my cure dramatically this time.

So that + carbs/sugar...I hope you're OK!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: 23/04/2009 09:31:08 »

I too am getting very tired of this whole thing as it is really ruining my life! If I could just put SEX and O's behind me I think I would be OK.... until I got stuffed on too many carbs....

PS.

P-S, I totally understand! It ruined much of my life for over 30 years. But I decided to keep fighting and keep searching! DON'T GIVE UP!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: 23/04/2009 09:33:41 »
Martin, good to see you back posting!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: 23/04/2009 15:28:53 »

Hi GC,
I agree with you. There are also other methods of treatment (Dr Waldinger was treating pois sufferers with antiandrogens...)

Did someone try vitamin A to help pois ? It's involved in skin problems, testosterone production, inflammation, allergies,...
It seems to help for me (halibut liver oil).
-Proteins and vitamin A are working together.
-Low fat diet (saturated fat) causes vitamin A deficiency.
-Zinc is necessary for vitamin A metabolism.
-And thyroxine or iodine I don't remember, are necessary for vitamin A absorption in tissues.
In chinese medicine vitamin A is classified yang, like vitamins D,E,K,B6,biotin,sodium.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: 23/04/2009 15:35:43 »
Martin, good to see you back posting!
Thanks.

B_Jim, I am like POIS-SUFFERER, 2X for me is "le petit mort"  - overkill. I had 3X a few days ago and it reduced my cure dramatically this time.

So that + carbs/sugar...I hope you're OK!
if testosterone is not the solution for pois, mean if there are other deficiencies in pois you're probably aggravating the whole thing, really hope I'm wrong .

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4174 on: 23/04/2009 15:35:43 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums