The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6459951 times)

Offline John21

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4225 on: 28/04/2009 11:53:56 »
Dean93,
I plan to try the garlic first. John21, did you say that you had the garlic both before and after your NE?

Ideally I think it is better to have it beforehand but unless you are eating it everyday that probably won't work, as NEs are unpredictable. I have had success consuming if for a couple of days after an NE. I eat about two cloves: I crush them in a garlic press and let the sit for 5 - 10 minutes then lightly microwave them. Add some ketchup and it becomes eatable. Of course the downside is the breath thing, teeth brushing may not quite get rid of it. You may wish to stock up on chewing gum. I don't really know but maybe coating your mouth with milk or olive oil or something beforehand might reduce the scent afterwards. And also some people can smell "garlicy" the next day when it comes out of the skin's pores. You could make up some story on why you are trying garlic in case you are questioned. Tell them you've read that garlic gets rid of zits or something. :)

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: 28/04/2009 22:57:06 »
Today I also felt like I was manufacturing words/actions rather than having them come naturally. Can anyone relate?

Yes.  I think this has shown up as 'word finding difficulty', and 'difficulty communicating', with 'lack of spontaneity/creativity'.  These symptoms are fairly common in POIS descriptions.  I experience this too.
« Last Edit: 29/04/2009 00:20:30 by Counterpoints »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: 29/04/2009 00:55:12 »
Quote from: Dean93 on 27/04/2009 23:47:15
Today I also felt like I was manufacturing words/actions rather than having them come naturally. Can anyone relate?

Yes.  I think this has shown up as 'word finding difficulty', and 'difficulty communicating', with 'lack of spontaneity/creativity'.  These symptoms are fairly common in POIS descriptions.  I experience this too.

Yes, when I was in my POIS state I would experience this. In conversation I would often rely on memory for what to say vs thinking anything new. Mentally limited.

Offline zaaria

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: 29/04/2009 10:45:00 »
Hi, Deniseamonalisa, you are not the only woman suffering pois, sure; i would like to contact other women with the same symptoms: for one or two days after sex, flu-like symptoms like a light fever, brain fog, unable to think clearly or concentrate (brain fog) Hope to hear from you soon

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: 29/04/2009 23:23:15 »
zaaria, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

zaaria, you can contact Deniseamonalisa by Private Message. Please see PM instructions below at "POIS Research Study". I have also alerted her by Private Message to look at your post.

The consensus at this forum to heal your POIS, is to start with hormonal bloodtesting, preferably with an endocrinologist.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community.

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 250,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 29/04/2009 23:52:47 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: 29/04/2009 23:42:40 »
Do I have Hypogonadism or POIS?

My endocrinologist writes "hypogonadism" in his labwork orders for my bloodtests. (If he wrote "POIS" - an unrecognized malady - I'm sure that would create undesirable questions in the lab).

Hypogonadism means that the body produces insufficient levels of testosterone. Which is exactly what they found in my blood testing: low testosterone (along with very high prolactin).

I was prescribed testosterone relacement therapy (TRT), which, most happily, cures my POIS 90%+.

What is confusing to me is that TRT is also the treatment for hypogonadism. But my symptoms are clearly POIS, and I don't see a symptom-similarity between POIS and hypogonadism.

Does this make sense?

ps - About 2 hours after writing the above, I found John's old post below. Now my question is "Do hypogonadism symptoms sometimes last for DAYS or weeks after orgasm?" If they do, maybe this is a new discovery! Do I (and others "with POIS" who are primarily affected by low testosterone) simply have a form of hypogonadism and not POIS?
« Last Edit: 30/04/2009 04:03:56 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: 30/04/2009 02:12:55 »

Aren't the symptoms for hypogonadism similar to ours?

Symptoms
In Men
Effects of low testosterone in men may include: (not all are present in any single individual)

Word Finding difficulty
Dry Skin
Cracking nails
Fatigue
Muscle loss/atrophy
Frequent urination without infection
Getting up at night to urinate
Dementia-like memory loss
Poor sleep secondary to achy muscles
Poor libido
Erectile Dysfunction
Increasing weight
Glucose intolerance (early diabetes)
Cholesterol/Lipid abnormalities
Slight increase size of breasts
Depression
Anxiety
Hot flashes
Decrease in beard and body hair growth
Loss of bone mass (osteoporosis )
Difficulty concentrating
Irritability
Psychological and relationship problems
Anaemia
Infertility
Decrease in firmness of testicles
Impaired growth of the penis and testicles

John, interesting that I just ran across this, which answers some of my question! Is wikipedia the source info for these symptoms?
« Last Edit: 30/04/2009 02:14:42 by demografx »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: 30/04/2009 11:57:22 »
Demo,
Sorry if I didn't source that, it may have been Wikipedia.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: 30/04/2009 18:43:09 »
John, you did source it via the hypogonadism link, but when I had a quick look at the wiki symptoms list, it looked just a little different from your posted symptoms list. Did I look in the wrong place?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: 01/05/2009 01:14:48 »
Demo, I'm guessing that the page was updated then.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: 01/05/2009 02:48:22 »
Thanks, John, mystery's solved!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: 02/05/2009 22:05:26 »

tonight at rehearsal for my high school's Jazz Band I really had a lot of trouble keeping focused and alert

Dean, a few of us here are also musicians (I play blues piano). Keep up the playing!

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: 02/05/2009 23:55:51 »
Hello everyone.

My last NE was 10 days ago. Today, I feel worse than I think I ever have. I've had two other orgasms since then through masturbation just because I was hopeless and really dull minded. I tried the garlic for two days, but then stopped because I thought it might be better to wait. My Mom is skeptical about taking me to the doctor. She says that I just "sleep so much that I think its a disease" and that I can just wait for two months to go for a physical. I don't know what else to tell her. One of the worst parts about talking to others about this is that there is really no way to substantiate it like you might be able to with a disease like chicken pox.

I feel like life is passing me by and like I'm wasting the days that should be a great experience. At times its like my life is falling apart before me and I can't do a thing about it. I got a note from two friends saying how much they loved me, a very close friend of mine is frustrated with me because I can't hold a conversation with her anymore, one of my teachers told me that I looked like I was "just barely here". No emotional response. I feel like I'm just throwing my body around. I don't know what to do, everything I do or say is based on either what someone else does or says or what I think I'm expected to do, it doesn't work out.

I'm sorry that I have no real progress or useful information to share.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: 03/05/2009 01:55:10 »
Dean93, considering the nature of the problem at hand (assuming it is like mine was) it is quite easy to become discouraged. Just try to be patient. Remember that you are quite young and might have opportunities to get around this that us older guys wish we had at your age. Perhaps revealing it to a close friend would help you deal with it, if you think he/she would be supportive. And remember, if garlic doesn't help it is just one idea and it's success is claimed only by myself. There are other herbal ideas that have resulted in better feedback amongst us, namely fenugreek and relora. If you try either of these I would advise that you start out with small amounts. Although I personally think these are safe one should use caution and go slow when trying any new supplement. Remember that even though something is "natural" doesn't mean it is necessarily good for you.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: 03/05/2009 03:41:49 »
Dean 93,
If you are having problem with NE. I will suggest going to bed in a very loose jeans and also to sleep on side and also to avoid masturbation because i believe it weakens pc muscle(control ejaculation.)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: 03/05/2009 07:36:13 »
I believe some of you may have discussed this before like a bad response to sugar during POIS.  I remember having that to a point where the only thing that didn't cause that was drinking water.  I used to drink Iced Tea all the time but quit that because it would put me in such a bad mood.  Anything really that I had to eat seemed to affect me as if it was not being "filtered" and just being put into my body.  It is getting a lot better now.  I was just wondering if any of you guys had it to my extent.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: 03/05/2009 09:52:02 »
DEAN, no apologies needed. You're doing great, simply interacting here! This might not be my business, but I see enough urgency that you should push for the doctor visit! If nothing else, make sure it's ok for you to try fenugreek or relora. Especially if you're depressed or anxious. Dean, you might have to take charge more than you were prepared for. Your physical, emotional, psychological health lies in the balance. We have ALL had to overcome similar obstacles with people who simply don't get it. You can point to HUNDREDS who suffer like you and point to a medical paper written on POIS.

Best wishes, Dean!

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: 03/05/2009 14:50:50 »
Feeling a lot better this morning. Random? Yes. Welcome? Unquestionably. Thank you Demo and John, I would like to go to the doctor but I don't really know how to tell my mom. It's not off the  list but hopefully I can try fenugreek and/or relora and not have to go through the whole thing of going to the doctor. All the research that I've done on the two says that they are safe. Demo, how do I know if they're unsafe for me?

Thanks for the tip CCconfucious.

goingcrazy, I don't really know if sugar worsens my symptoms. If it does I really haven't recognized it. Eating a lot of sugar does make me feel bad in general though.

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: 03/05/2009 18:28:00 »
Thank you Demo and John, I would like to go to the doctor but I don't really know how to tell my mom.

Dean, I realize it could feel embarrassing to tell your mom, especially if it involves talking about masturbation.  However, perhaps one approach could be to just tell her about it in terms of NE's--that way it remains in the realm of the involuntary, and it doesn't require describing anything that "you do yourself."  And, alongside that, you could give her a copy of the Waldinger article.  Then, you could say more to the doctor by yourself once you get there.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: 03/05/2009 19:51:27 »
DEAN, if you take any other medicines, your pharmacy can tell you if there are any harmful interaction effects with relora. With fenugreek, just be careful and research it some more, and start small. I think I saw some unpleasant side effects reported here.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: 03/05/2009 20:45:34 »
Dean, as Guthrie says about showing the Waldinger study, send me a private message with your regular email, and I'll send it to your regular email address.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: 04/05/2009 23:59:36 »
Dean, thanks for requesting the Waldinger study!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: 05/05/2009 00:01:52 »
GC, I think there has been a lot of mention regarding gastrointestinal disturbances afterwards.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: 05/05/2009 00:19:23 »
Yet another Day Zero and feeling 95%! Slightly better I think because this time, I allowed 4 days' distance from the last Day Zero, instead of 2 days.
« Last Edit: 05/05/2009 07:08:44 by demografx »

Offline Jdubs

• View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: 06/05/2009 03:56:57 »
Please help me Demografx.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4249 on: 06/05/2009 03:56:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums