The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6460751 times)

Offline Jdubs

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4275 on: 09/05/2009 22:07:45 »
Demografx,

I think either way, people who are desperate enough to find an answer will find it one way or another.

As for spreading awareness, I feel there's so many other ways that haven't been explored yet, and changing this forum too much probably wouldn't matter large scale.

I'm planning on getting checked sometime next week.

I'm starting to feel that any kind of stress is bad. Just feel good! Being happy overall I feel lowers recovery time somehow. Just stopping all the analyzing of one's self can reduce the effects of some symptoms, I think. But it can only do so much, I think it just helps with the pain DURING recovery from symptoms somehow.

EDIT//

also, dance. and sing. instead of feeling like you're forcing yourself not to give in, just know that you don't have to, and lift some weights. of course, I think just trying to improve over time is the best idea. trying to make big differences in short amounts of time is really stressing and can make it worse.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2009 22:18:40 by Jdubs »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: 10/05/2009 00:32:57 »
Jdubs, thanks for that! My tendency has always been, "if it's not broken, don't fix it." We have done very well with Google and nothing else.

Any suggestions for spreading awareness are more than welcome!

I agree, the more we focus on "living large" out-of-POIS, the better we'll feel when POIS hits.

Many thanks for your comments.

Congratulations on getting your check-up next week!!
« Last Edit: 10/05/2009 02:54:16 by demografx »

Offline Jdubs

• View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: 10/05/2009 04:57:56 »
Demografx,

Sorry for posting too much (but who can resist when a hint of progress has come up), but I was referring to thinking and lifestyle WHILE in POIS, not when out. I do think that lifting weights and eating accordingly probably reduces symptoms while IN POIS, but just in case you fall in that HORRIBLE stage of POIS that you've fallen in before, I think there's a few things that can help:

1. Relieve yourself. Whether this means by emission, or anything else.  Just sit back and think. Sit or walk around, just move around a little bit and think. Don't think of deadlines or money or any kind of work. Hey, THEY'LL WAIT FOR YOU. Let yourself say this: "Hey world, give me a sec, I'm just chillin' here for a bit." Having that mindset of keeping YOUR PACE. (You guys probably do this stuff already though). I've tried this recently, and it does help me a little about feeling better during it I think. READING THIS IS PROBABLY MAKING YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE. Whenever you feel emotions rise, just stop what you're doing and start humming your favorite tune. Yeah, I feel like sleeping, and I may close my eyes or lay down for a bit, but I won't sleep. I just stay in a calm state and try not to let things around me affect me emotionally (I feel emotions can worsen symptoms overall.)

2. Drink lots of fluids? (or at least enough) A lot of the time I feel I forget to drink enough fluids while in symptoms. When I drink a lot and go to the bathroom a lot, I feel it relieves me in a way. You'll remember to get your daily doses but somehow I think it stalls arousal down there..

Listening to calm music feels good. But do whatever you need to feel good, just don't feel that any specific thing you're doing is wrong.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: 10/05/2009 14:47:28 »
Sorry for posting too much (but who can resist when a hint of progress has come up), but I was referring to thinking and lifestyle WHILE in POIS, not when out. I do think that lifting weights and eating accordingly probably reduces symptoms while IN POIS, but just in case you fall in that HORRIBLE stage of POIS that you've fallen in before, I think there's a few things that can help:

1. Relieve yourself. Whether this means by emission, or anything else.  Just sit back and think. Sit or walk around, just move around a little bit and think. Don't think of deadlines or money or any kind of work. Hey, THEY'LL WAIT FOR YOU. Let yourself say this: "Hey world, give me a sec, I'm just chillin' here for a bit." Having that mindset of keeping YOUR PACE. (You guys probably do this stuff already though). I've tried this recently, and it does help me a little about feeling better during it I think. READING THIS IS PROBABLY MAKING YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE. Whenever you feel emotions rise, just stop what you're doing and start humming your favorite tune. Yeah, I feel like sleeping, and I may close my eyes or lay down for a bit, but I won't sleep. I just stay in a calm state and try not to let things around me affect me emotionally (I feel emotions can worsen symptoms overall.)

2. Drink lots of fluids? (or at least enough) A lot of the time I feel I forget to drink enough fluids while in symptoms. When I drink a lot and go to the bathroom a lot, I feel it relieves me in a way. You'll remember to get your daily doses but somehow I think it stalls arousal down there..

Listening to calm music feels good. But do whatever you need to feel good, just don't feel that any specific thing you're doing is wrong.

If your "HORRIBLE stage of POIS" is relieved by singing songs and drinking water I think that your malady is categorically different that mine.

Offline rock27

• View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: 10/05/2009 16:49:53 »
Sorry for not posting so long.
I was busy interpreting test results and doctor visits and lifting weights.

Test results

Testosterone before emission : total 9.77 ( 9.72-38.17) free 221 (174-729)
Testosterone after emission : total 9.05  free 202
I took tests 1 hour apart. So there is a small decrease, with both values of total T just below normal and free very low-normal. I didnít find an increase in T, still wonder what the test would have shown if I had taken it 5 to 10 minutes after emission.

I also have an out-of-pois reading of 10.9 and  342. Surprisingly one test 2 days after emission came back looking a third above lower range (different measures are used), I did't feel bad then anyway. It was after the second emission in a week and I slept like a baby the night before. Also my THS ranges between 2.2 and 4. (0.25-3.10)

Docís visit
Of course first docís visit was with the values in range. In 2 weeks I have a new meeting with another endocrinologist, will show the new values of testosterone.  I also showed my low T to my GP. He said it might be causing symptoms (I just quoted symptoms not the sexual thing), but he also said when you donít exercise much your T-levels go down. I think Iím quite active. But anyway, in preparation to new endo visit, I picked up weightlifting.

Nightly orgasms

Still stuck with many many nightly orgasms (not emissions). I think someone called those brain orgasms. Iím off eastern medication for 2 months, so any side effects should be gone now. I keep waking up at 1 or 4, not being able to sleep and the next day pois symptoms are present. If I reach day 2 (without orgasm) I feel much better than last year. So my main focus now is to break the cycle somehow. If anyone has ideas that have not been mentioned here, please share.
« Last Edit: 10/05/2009 16:51:40 by rock27 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: 10/05/2009 19:12:32 »
Rocky, very exhaustive. Congratulations on taking these major steps!!

My endo wants to see my T-levels go to midrange normal by June or he'll increase my dose. So it may be interesting to see what your endo thinks about a goal for you.

Please keep us posted!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: 10/05/2009 19:21:36 »
Jdubs, good to know what works for you. We're all different so some things that work for some people can backfire on others.

For example, relaxing by emission would work for me for 10 minutes, and then would quicky lead to a far more devastating POIS than if I had just left things alone. I'm sure that many others here experience the same.

My psychiatrist suggested to "expect less of yourself in POIS". I also found that forgetting thoughts about POIS symptoms as much as possible can help.

But as John points out, POIS can literally overwhelm any attempt at living happily or normally while symptomatic.

Many thanks for contributing your thoughts.

« Last Edit: 10/05/2009 19:36:36 by demografx »

Offline Jdubs

• View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: 10/05/2009 20:30:36 »
Yeah, exactly.

The first part of my post I was just explaining what might help calm down symptoms, and I think not thinking about it and staying positive (like you/psychiatrist feel) is the best way to go.

I'm not really sure if the fluids really work, but I just felt I forgot to drink often :P

EDIT//

One thing I wanted to ask about Relora.

I know that many people have found relief from this med., but it's only something that affects you WHILE you're in POIS, right? In another words, it only helps the symptoms and not the cause? For people having used Relora, are your symptoms weaker even if you don't use Relora after emission? Does it balance your hormones in any way long-term? Or is it only a short-term relief pill?
« Last Edit: 11/05/2009 08:27:24 by Jdubs »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: 11/05/2009 17:13:11 »
Jdubs, while you're waiting for replies, here are some past posts on relora:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=relora+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: 13/05/2009 19:40:01 »
So your T goes down.... does T go down after O for everybody in the population?

Or it this one of the issues?

If you had really low T, how do you normally feel if POIS was not in the picture?

PS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: 13/05/2009 23:27:33 »
I can't speak for Rocky, but before T-treatment, my vitality was low out-of-POIS.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: 14/05/2009 03:38:01 »
Define vitality please....

PS

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: 14/05/2009 06:10:52 »
weird thing happenned to me last night... i haven't orgasmed in about 10 days and last night i felt as if my vision problems and derealization went away.  I remember when you were talking about the frontal lobe of your brain being shut down (not referring to somebody specifically) but all of a sudden last night I felt as if it was turned on again.. I opened my eyes and it was as if i was cross-eyed and couldn't focus for a moment, but then i felt actually "de-derealized". I still feel like that now and haven't orgasmed since, hopefully I might have recovered at least somewhere.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: 14/05/2009 07:34:39 »
Vitality? I agree with Merriam-Webster. The peculiarity distinguishing the living from the nonliving. Capacity to live and develop. Physical or mental vigor especially when highly developed. Power of enduring. Lively and animated character.

Simplified, it's just a feeling of well-being. Plus a touch of excitement =  being "alive".

Merriam-Webster's "vigor" above is  a good synonym.
« Last Edit: 14/05/2009 08:58:21 by demografx »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: 14/05/2009 15:46:11 »
So your T goes down.... does T go down after O for everybody in the population?
An italian study says testosterone is increased after orgasm.
Other study says T is increased at day 7 and then decreased  ???.

An other says 3 weeks of sexual abstinence is the cause for higher levels of T but T levels are not changed after orgasm (the change is gradual ?)

Some hypothesis (not necessarily related to the studies above):
-The duration of abstinence before an orgasm(ex: 3 weeks abstinence vs one day or one hour) could be the cause for differents responses of the T levels after orgasms.

-Maybe pois is caused by hormones fluctuations rather than a clear deficiency.

One thing is sure, it's not easy to make conclusions with only one or two tests or cases.

« Last Edit: 15/05/2009 04:10:52 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: 14/05/2009 18:16:42 »
Martin, don't some scientists also say there is an immediate drop afterwards? My sense is that there's no consensus.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: 14/05/2009 18:26:04 »
It is now Day Zero, starting one hour ago and POIS symptoms are very mild. It's so amazing that I could've been spared 30+ years of repeat agony with just testosterone treatment!

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: 14/05/2009 19:01:47 »
demo

See I wonder if T treatment is covering up POIS, or cures it....

If I take one of my Ativan 1mg, wait 20 minutes, have sex.... voila, no POIS.... and the lesser POIS symptoms I get in day 2 and 3 are very very low....

Its all very complicated.

PS.
« Last Edit: 15/05/2009 02:16:06 by POIS-SUFFERER »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: 14/05/2009 20:54:25 »
I'm not sure if total testosterone is an extremely useful test.  Several different testosterone tests might give you general trends... but I think it fluctuates quite a bit, especially in young people.

In late January, at around 9 am, my total testosterone measured 30 nmol/L. (I was symptomatic at the time).  This is at the very upper limit of normal... some might consider it high (it is out of range by some standard references).  In late April, at about 9 am, my total testosterone measured 17 nmol/L. (I was not symptomatic at the time).  This is sort of low-normal for a male adult.  However, I don't know if this kind of fluctuation is abnormal.
« Last Edit: 14/05/2009 20:56:34 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: 14/05/2009 20:58:47 »
rock27, deliberate masturbation can "break the cycle" of wet dreams. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: 15/05/2009 01:16:46 »
POIS-SUFFERER, you bring up an interesting point. But I do feel better in and out of POIS, I think, because my testosterone levels were deficient, and now they're approaching normalcy.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: 15/05/2009 04:32:43 »
Martin, don't some scientists also say there is an immediate drop afterwards? My sense is that there's no consensus.
I never saw this. I can only suppose this is true, because a lot of pois symptoms are also low T symptoms.
However what is clear is the high prolactin afterwards. I think your endo wanted to decrease prolactin with testosterone ?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: 15/05/2009 07:06:40 »
Yes, the endo hopes T will do that. And I quit Reglan, which often causes hyperprolactinemia. I would like to avoid non-benign medicines such as bromocriptine, which reduce prolactin.

My endo says that prolactin in men is not well understood. Symptoms are low libido and ED. In women, though, prolactin plays a clear role in lactation.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: 15/05/2009 14:14:06 »
Yes, the endo hopes T will do that. And I quit Reglan, which often causes hyperprolactinemia.
I remember now that testosterone is closely linked with dopamine (which is decreased by prolactin.)
Effects of testosterone on neuronal nitric oxide synthase and tyrosine hydroxylase :
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6SYR-3X05CPV-1M&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=ce286cf9b5231b53efb2a828c57b487e

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: 15/05/2009 14:41:19 »
This morning, after a week of being "out-of-pois", I had another NE. I wasn't dressed properly for preventing POIS, partially because I wasn't expecting it, but to be honest it was mostly because I didn't want to worry about POIS while I was out of it. I mean, who does?

I didn't think I would be having one anytime soon because my last emission was only eight days ago. Last time, it took 24 days. But after looking at my calendar (the one I use to record my emissions and ups and downs in energy) I saw that it had been 23 days since my last NE, the one that got me into pois again. I'm beginning to believe that that's the one that really counts.

I was planning on starting fenugreek, I had it coming in the mail actually but it didn't come soon enough. I did, though, have some leftover garlic. About 20 minutes after my NE I went and chopped two cloves of garlic and put it in the microwave (on high, I presume) for 11 seconds. I added some ketchup and crushed it with a spoon, mentally prepared and ate it. My brother and sister, who haven't been within 10 feet of me are complaining of the smell, so I'm going to jog up to a local convenience store, to work the garlic out of my system (good idea?) and buy some mints and gum.

I hope this works, and I also hope I can find a way to deal with the smell. Last time, it took two days for my symptoms to really set in. I'll report anything that I notice, and in 2-3 days, I should have an answer about garlic after an emission, hopefully.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4299 on: 15/05/2009 14:41:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums