The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6449432 times)

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4325 on: 17/05/2009 23:23:50 »
Question: If Pronobis were to post a description of his condition in his native language would that make it easier for people of the same language to find us in their search queries?

Great idea John.  I think it certainly would.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: 17/05/2009 23:25:04 »

Question: If Pronobis were to post a description of his condition in his native language would that make it easier for people of the same language to find us in their search queries?

Wow, John, terrific idea! Let's try it. I think the key to people finding us is also related to the volume and repetition of key concepts repeated in different words, so perhaps a lengthy description would work best, and one that includes many of the POIS sufferer's search terms we would anticipate, e.g., fatigue, "after sex", brain fog, exhaustion, orgasm, etc.

Allons!

:)

When I first experienced this, at about 14, I remember having trouble describing it.  I think I usually searched for "dizzy after orgasm".

This is a good discussion question, open to anyone: How did YOU find this forum (thread)?  What did you search for?
« Last Edit: 17/05/2009 23:26:50 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: 17/05/2009 23:50:33 »
Counterpoints, great question for us all!

I searched 2 years ago, right at the beginning when there was practically no information except John's post and maybe B_Jim's.

Since I knew of the Waldinger study, I searched POIS, Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome. But from John's original post, the Naked Science moderators at the time called this "Post Orgasmic Mental Illness" (John mentioned symptoms akin to 'mental illness' in his post) - but I was able to correct it to Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome.

Nevertheless, the match worked close enough! I'm sure glad of that.

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: 18/05/2009 00:39:45 »
Although this doesn't seem to be the main topic of discussion at the moment, I thought I'd post before I forgot.

Recap: 23 days since my last NE, 8 days since my last orgasm, and after 6 days of being out of pois, I had a NE. Afterwards I ate 2 cloves of raw garlic.

I had my NE at 7 AM on Friday. Within the hour, I had two cloves of garlic and I felt fine until 5 o' clock on Saturday, where I got a little bit of brainfog, but not the enveloping debilitating type that I get when I'm totally in pois, just a slight disorientation. Today, Sunday, I feel a bit less alive than I do when I know I'm out of pois, and a little brainfog remains, but it's definitely better than it has been after orgasm without the garlic. Factors like lack of mental stimulation (long weekend, friends seem to be unavailable) and lack of sleep, perhaps, could be the partially or totally the cause.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: 18/05/2009 01:17:32 »
CP,
I believe my search terms were along the lines of this "post sex mental change" or "after ejaculation mind" or "sex mental problem" . After trying this for years and years I didn't have high expectations, but whenever in the state I would go digging again. If my memory is correct I came across a summary of the paper by Dres. Waldinger and Schweitzer, which eventually, in a subsequent state, gave me the confidence to post in this forum.

Dean93, glad to hear that garlic may have helped you! Hopefully it will continue.
« Last Edit: 18/05/2009 01:19:53 by John21 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: 18/05/2009 05:50:22 »
I kept searching over ejaculation, oversex, mental illness and ejaculation.
I found herabllove, and like ten other websites. One of those web sites lead me to a issm and fromm issm to this forum. 
Those websites also lead to a french forum on this topic i believe. I acutually found french one first.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: 18/05/2009 05:52:52 »
And for brain orgasm sleep on side works with loose pants.  I believe it works because the penis gets erects freely instead being sandwiched between bed and body.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: 18/05/2009 06:48:20 »
If you type fatigué après l'orgasme you'll find some hits.  There seem to be many French people complaining of this problem.  I actually remember an entire website (in French) talking about post orgasm symptoms, and neuro-transmitters.  It was titled something like "fatigué après l'orgasme".  It was posted on this forum a long time ago.  Maybe I'll see if I can find it later.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: 18/05/2009 07:09:01 »
I also recall reading about some French people complaining of a post-sexual condition called "le petit mort", the little death.

Dean93, congrats with the garlic, let's hope it continues!

John, how/why did you pick The Naked Scientists? (Good pick!)

« Last Edit: 18/05/2009 09:17:45 by demografx »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: 18/05/2009 11:42:36 »
Demo, I just stumbled upon it while surfing. I found the site interesting, I browsed the forums and listened to some podcasts. Later it dawned on me that it would be the perfect place to post about my condition anonymously.  Perhaps the fact that the site is based in distant England made it easier to go ahead with it, it seemed far removed.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4335 on: 18/05/2009 14:06:33 »
Why not to send a letter to World Health Organisation [WHO], that they finance some kind of research in this subject. May be there is some other thousand men in the world suffering of this.
Good idea. But we need a medical facility that will conduct the research and submit to WHO (http://www.who.int/en/)or others for funding.
Perhaps Pronobis idea is good ? "Only a doc must submit to WHO " :Is that something that you have read on the WHO website ?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: 18/05/2009 14:21:38 »
About the keywords, good idea John. So if some german people or from other countries want to make a traduction of the symptoms mentionned in the wikipedia article (for example) and post it here in the forum it will be great!

At least fatigue and ejaculation are the same word in english and in french. I think this is how I found this forum.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: 18/05/2009 20:05:50 »
I also recall reading about some French people complaining of a post-sexual condition called "le petit mort", the little death.

I used to think "la petite mort" = "orgasm" in French. ;).  Sometimes, apparently, it also refers to the refractory period, and other things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_petite_mort

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: 18/05/2009 20:08:20 »
About the keywords, good idea John. So if some german people or from other countries want to make a traduction of the symptoms mentionned in the wikipedia article (for example) and post it here in the forum it will be great!

At least fatigue and ejaculation are the same word in english and in french. I think this is how I found this forum.

Hi Martin,

A wikipedia user has changed the article. Here is the original list of symptoms:

Of the known cases:

* Over 97% are men
    * A majority report only cognitive symptoms, although physical symptoms (esp. flu-like) are commonly reported
    * Symptoms are independent of how orgasm is achieved
    * Symptoms are usually present within minutes of orgasm
    * On average, symptoms last 1-3 days
    * Symptoms commonly affect sufferers between 20-70% of the time during a given month, depending on a number of variables

Most commonly reported symptoms:

* anxiety
    * cravings for the relief that follows orgasm
    * difficulty communicating (possibly a temporary aphasia)
    * fatigue or exhaustion
    * inability to focus (attention deficit)
    * inability to relax
    * irritability
    * lack of spontaneity or creativity
    * overall cognitive impairment (brain fog)
    * short term memory problems
    * slow to process information
    * social phobia
    * word-finding difficulty

Many POIS sufferers report nearly all of the above symptoms, regardless of whether they have some of the additional symptoms listed below. Fatigue or exhaustion is an exception. A large number of POIS sufferers report this symptom, but there are several cases where the above symptoms have been reported without fatigue, and where fatigue has been reported, without many of the above symptoms.

Other reported symptoms:

* palpitations
    * insomnia
    * derealisation
    * appetite affected
    * cold/heat aversion
    * pallor
    * skin conditions
    * visual disturbances
    * hypoglycemia
    * diarrhea
    * depression
    * headache
    * lower back pain
    * muscle tremors
    * muscle spasms
    * elevated blood pressure
    * fear of light
    * flu like symptoms
    * dull head pain
    * dilated pupils
    * burning fingertips
    * aphthous ulcers
    * swollen neck glands

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: 18/05/2009 23:57:39 »
Why not to send a letter to World Health Organisation [WHO], that they finance some kind of research in this subject. May be there is some other thousand men in the world suffering of this.
Good idea. But we need a medical facility that will conduct the research and submit to WHO (http://www.who.int/en/)or others for funding.
Perhaps Pronobis idea is good ? "Only a doc must submit to WHO " :Is that something that you have read on the WHO website ?

No, I just assumed that because they seem to be involved mainly in large scale projects, e.g., AIDS. But maybe I'm wrong!

Martin, can you make a first draft of a letter to WHO?
« Last Edit: 19/05/2009 00:01:57 by demografx »

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: 19/05/2009 00:10:02 »
Hi

Sorry for the late response. In french one should search "la fatigue après le sexe", or "je suis toujours fatigué(e)après le rapport sexuel, j'ai des symptômes grippaux pendant une semaine, j'ai des démangeaisons".
Besides, in russian it will be like "усталый после секса, симптомы гриппа, в течении недели" ;
in turkish " seksten sonra yorgunluk, bir hafta boyunca grip simptomları"

One should search by ordinary words, so I put ordinary search query. I can develop it if you desire.

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: 19/05/2009 00:21:50 »
My blood tests show that I am absolutly healthy. I was allergic since my borth, but now I'm ok, only in the case of dust and heat I have an itching nose and eyes.

But which blood tests did you have, and how were you feeling when you took them?

As far as organized information -- we have B_Jim's summaries, found on the first page of this discussion, and we also have the questionnaire (http://pois.olympe-network.com [nofollow]), and there is a wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Orgasmic_Illness_Syndrome [nofollow]).

Indeed, I don't know which test was this, I told to my medicine that I am always tired etc, he adviced me to make a test after which he prescribed me magnesium (it doesn't chage anything). That was a large test with all my blood informations. Sorry, I am law student and I don't know anything in medecine.

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: 19/05/2009 00:29:30 »
Today is Monday, four days after my NE on Thursday. I was doing well until after school today. I'm starting to slip into POIS, experiencing fatigue and social reluctance.

The good news, perhaps is that I now have the fenugreek I ordered. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how I should take it?

I'm talking to my mom about going to the doctor.

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: 19/05/2009 00:33:13 »

I used to think "la petite mort" = "orgasm" in French. ;).  Sometimes, apparently, it also refers to the refractory period, and other things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_petite_mort [nofollow]

It is not very usual in daily language, even the word orgasme is reserved to women, so it would be "éjaculation". Please note that to masturbate is "se branler" in daily language.  

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: 19/05/2009 01:45:52 »

I used to think "la petite mort" = "orgasm" in French. ;).  Sometimes, apparently, it also refers to the refractory period, and other things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_petite_mort

Thanks for Wikipedia reference, it says it's the orgasmic-refractory period, so I wasn't too far off with "post-sexual".

To me, "la petite mort" seems to describe "POIS Light"
« Last Edit: 19/05/2009 02:01:55 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: 19/05/2009 02:07:32 »

to masturbate is "se branler" in daily language.  

"To shake"???    :D  

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: 19/05/2009 02:09:23 »

I'm talking to my mom about going to the doctor.

Great!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: 19/05/2009 02:43:23 »
Pronobis, shown below are the hormones I had tested, with an endocrinologist, similar to what others here have tested. Ideally, you should have your hormones tested when you are experiencing POIS (in-POIS)...and then another test when you are out-of-POIS.

My bloodtests revealed that my testosterone was low and my prolactin was high. As a result, I am now on testosterone therapy and my POIS has dramatically improved. Most times I feel healed 90%. This is after 30+ years of consistently agonizing POIS episodes.

I was stubborn and didn't want to go for a long time. But now I see that this is apparently the correct starting point for most of us here.

Hormones that I tested:
-PROLACTIN

-TESTOSTERONE(Bioavailable Testosterone, Free Testosterone, Total Testosterone, Sex Hormone Globulin Binding [SHGB] )

-DHEA-SULFATE

-FSH (Follicle Stimulating Hormone)

-LH (Luteinizing Hormone)

-TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone)

-CORTISOL
« Last Edit: 19/05/2009 03:10:25 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: 19/05/2009 03:06:17 »

If you type fatigué après l'orgasme you'll find some hits...

And now we have the proof that John's idea will work!

I typed into Google those 3 words in French and lo! the 2nd Google result was Counterpoints' post above!

So Pronobis, if you wish, please type a post here in French any time that is good for you.
« Last Edit: 19/05/2009 03:16:37 by demografx »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: 19/05/2009 06:13:02 »
Demografx,
I have read the WHO web site and there is a special page where we can eventually post this letter.
Here is their email under "General queries" :
http://www.who.int/reproductive-health/contacts.en.html
(I'm not sure it's the right place, I'll continue to search)

I can try to do a draft next week-end, if you agree Pronobis, it's your idea :)
Then I hope you'll arrange this in correct english Demo.
I think it's not necessary to do a long letter. Perhaps we should initially ask if they can give us the name of a person in charge so we'll have more chance to get a response.

I think we must insist on the constantly growing number of cases and the severity of this disease and its consequences. Am I right when I say "severity"? In fact I don't really know if pois is very severe for everyone. I can only talk for me.

Also in the letter we should report an alarming condition, not complain about ourselves. With letters like this I'm concerned about the fact that they'll think we are a group of people who only want to have more sex just for more pleasure/quality of life, so they'll tend to ignore us, when in fact our entire life is very affected and even if we stop sex the disease is still there because of the NEs!

(Except if your method works Confucius, I didn't try.. I don't have NE, I'm trying to release just before.)

From the WHO web site in their FAQ :
Does WHO offer scholarships or grants to carry out research?
WHO does not have a scholarship or grant programme as such, however certain special WHO programmes and departments do fund research. Visit the grant opportunities page in the TDR (Tropical Disease Research) web site or the capacity strengthening page in the RHR (Reproductive Health and Research) web site. Also, you may wish to consult the web site of the WHO Regional Office where your country is a Member State. The regional offices have some fellowship and scholarship programmes which are carried out in cooperation with the ministries of health in countries.

« Last Edit: 19/05/2009 06:34:09 by martin88 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4349 on: 19/05/2009 06:13:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length