The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430784 times)

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4400 on: 24/05/2009 04:07:25 »
Pronobis' and Martin's posts in French

I just deleted a long post of mine, initially excited when I saw #1 Google results by searching on several words from Pronobis' and Martin's posts in French.

But I then thought that maybe the search engine in France might work differently from ours. So I searched again, this time using Google.fr (Google France) and then...everything was turned upside down. I couldn't find the posts even in the first 3 pages of results!

I tried Google.fr once again, this time adding "POIS" to Pronobis' and Martin's words. Sure enough, we came up #1. But that's cheating:) So...I guess we have more work to do to figure this out!

You are right Demo, I have searched and I couldn't find. I don't think that people will search like you did. Only "fatigue après le sexe" and that's all. I will try to give a answer in French

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: 24/05/2009 04:53:44 »

I suppose, the first thing that I should do is, like Demografx said, to test my testosterone.

Pronobis, testosterone is only one hormone that I was tested for. The other hormones are mentioned in my post addressed to you May 19, on Page 186, Message ID 253144.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg253144#msg253144
« Last Edit: 24/05/2009 06:48:45 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: 24/05/2009 05:07:09 »
Pronobis, regarding Google, I think the answer lies in having numerous posts in French in order to have Google.fr recognize us. Unfortunately, that's just not practical for us to do here. If anyone sees this differently, please share your thoughts. Thanks much for the efforts here.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: 24/05/2009 06:30:04 »
Hey guys.  Anybody wake up with excess "white stuff" in your mouth? I just realized I have candida and that is the main cause of my brain fog, it can cause hypoglycemia and a range of other symptoms.  Right now I am taking acidophilus, and eating non sugar/carbohydrate foods.  I believe this relates to pois somehow, maybe if some of you guys have candida.

Good discovery.  I'm curious to know if the acidophilus is effective.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: 24/05/2009 06:43:11 »
Limejuice, nice to see you again.

goingcrazy, we've had a fair amount of discussion about candida. Here are some previous posts. To maximize the search of a specific message after you click on the link, use Ctrl + F and look for keyword(s) describing the post you're looking for.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=candida+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: 24/05/2009 18:34:06 »
I'm pretty sure POIS is not due to "candida".  It seems like naturopaths have been blaming yeast infections on pretty much every difficult to explain problem.  It doesn't seem like good science to me, and the odds that it has something to do with POIS are extraordinarily low IMO.  If there are some good scientific journal sources that could be used in a logical argument to dispute that assessment, please let me know.  I just don't want people to waste their time.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: 25/05/2009 06:21:52 »
Thanks, CP, you bring a lot of scientific credibility to this forum.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: 25/05/2009 18:46:06 »
B_Jim, I think the question is also whether or not candida is related to POIS.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: 26/05/2009 03:53:05 »
Thank you very much Ambient for your post. About 5-htp there is an article on a site in french saying that peak-x can be present in 5-htp, however I think there is no proof it's harmful. See precautions :

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.passeportsante.net/fr/Solutions/PlantesSupplements/Fiche.aspx%3Fdoc%3D5_htp_ps&ei=R1gbSsvdLcqrtgen39TrDA&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D5-htp%2Bpasseport%2Bsant%25C3%25A9%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_fr%26safe%3Doff

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: 26/05/2009 18:20:18 »
WHO PROJECT

Thanks to Pronobis' suggestion, we have completed a letter, ready to be sent to WHO (World Health  Organization).

This letter was drafted first by Martin, then Counterpoints, and it was so good I had nothing to add! (The truth is that I'm just too lazy : - )

Hopefully WHO can recommend a research source to further study POIS.

Thanks, everyone!
« Last Edit: 26/05/2009 18:24:17 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4410 on: 26/05/2009 21:04:29 »
SWeet job everybody.  Another giant idea. If WHO recognizes this then we have made it.
Isnt there something that can be done about the wikipedia page it really dismisses pois as some  minor migrain.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: 27/05/2009 02:02:48 »
Thanks to all! I think we'll wait a few days to send the letter just to correct minor errors. Then we'll write it here.

Pronobis' and Martin's posts in French

I just deleted a long post of mine, initially excited when I saw #1 Google results by searching on several words from Pronobis' and Martin's posts in French.

But I then thought that maybe the search engine in France might work differently from ours. So I searched again, this time using Google.fr (Google France) and then...everything was turned upside down. I couldn't find the posts even in the first 3 pages of results!

I tried Google.fr once again, this time adding "POIS" to Pronobis' and Martin's words. Sure enough, we came up #1. But that's cheating:) So...I guess we have more work to do to figure this out!

Pronobis, regarding Google, I think the answer lies in having numerous posts in French in order to have Google.fr recognize us. Unfortunately, that's just not practical for us to do here. If anyone sees this differently, please share your thoughts. Thanks much for the efforts here.

Demografx, it was very nice to see this problem with google.fr

I made a mistake, I put a "*" without space in front of the keywords. So if you search for "*maux de tête" you'll find it but you won't find "maux de tête" ... ::) 
I made the correction, I think it will be updated. Otherwise I'll post it again. The page is still cached with the error :
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:IapIerABfdUJ:www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php%3Ftopic%3D6576.msg253397+*maux+de+t%C3%AAte+site:thenakedscientists.com&cd=1&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr

I'm still thinking it's a good idea to write translations in our forum :
I think that trying to attract people from other countries, on the best existing site about pois, is  legitimate.
Our site should appear in google.fr. If google is not able to do this for now I hope it will be in the future. With time our forum will improve its ranking and perhaps things will change, even if it's true that google.fr gives the priority to french language.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is something which is constantly updated. The algorithms used by Google are always improving to adapt to many situations.

And anyway we can actually find in page 12 in google.fr the keyword entered by Pronobis:
http://www.google.fr/search?q=fatigue+apr%C3%A8s+le+sexe&hl=fr&start=110&sa=N

or page 22 (!) for these keywords : 
http://www.google.fr/search?q=fatigue+orgasme&hl=fr&start=210&sa=N

Best of all, some french people know that the most universal language is english so if they are doing some research in english they can put google.com in their start page instead of google.fr.
Also I see that google.com gives a lot of results in french as well.
Then if they search for "fatigue après le sexe" in google.com they'll find it immediately on page one:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fatigue+apr%C3%A8s+le+sexe&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
It's useful if they didn't think to search it with english keywords.

So I think nothing is lost!

« Last Edit: 27/05/2009 03:15:37 by martin88 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: 27/05/2009 02:22:05 »
An other possibility is that canadian people will search for french keywords. (a part of the country is bilingual, they speak french and english)

If they search this in google.ca, our forum is in the first page :
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=fatigue+apr%C3%A8s+orgasme&btnG=Search&meta=lr%3D
« Last Edit: 27/05/2009 02:25:59 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: 27/05/2009 03:18:42 »
RE. MARTIN'S POSTS ABOVE ABOUT GOOGLE

Martin, thank you! I thought it wasn't possible, but you give many reasons to be hopeful! I'm not sure you covered it in your post, but certainly people in the U.S. of French ancestry or descent would search Google here and probably not Google.fr., even though the search terms might be in the French language.

Amazing how well we do in Google.ca, as you demonstrated.

Thanks again for all your excellent ideas!
« Last Edit: 27/05/2009 04:33:12 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: 27/05/2009 03:45:00 »
I have an idea on spreading to different countries.
Am guessing other countries have blogs or like a yahoo question/answer.
We go to their yahooos ask/answer, ask and answer our questions on pois in their language and put a link to our website.
All we need is google translator.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: 27/05/2009 04:06:15 »
Martin, thanks for posting that article on 5-HTP. I didn't realize it was that controversial! Perhaps potential users here should exercise caution and study up on it before trying it.

UC Berkeley's Wellness Letter has some serious cautionary advice about 5-HTP, concluding that "the potential dangers of 5-HTP outweigh any possible benefits."
http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/ds5HTP.php

« Last Edit: 27/05/2009 05:58:13 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: 27/05/2009 04:27:41 »

Isn't there something that can be done about the wikipedia page? It really dismisses pois as some minor migraine.

CC, we just need some patience for now. POIS was in danger of being deleted altogether.

As Counterpoints mentioned in a recent post, "I disagree with the person's editorial ideas; I don't think that one should follow protocol exactly, if it sacrifices the quality and accuracy of an article.  I'll probably leave the article as-is for awhile though, since there was a deletion debate and the result was keep."

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: 27/05/2009 06:11:45 »
The Science of Orgasm

This book reference has appeared authoritatively in a number of publications and on the Internet. One of the 3 authors of The Science Of Orgasm is an endocrinologist in Mexico. I was thinking of writing to him and inviting him to this forum and to see if he has any ideas on how we can further advance the little POIS research that has been done.

Any other ideas, thoughts, comments?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: 27/05/2009 06:44:17 »
I will rather have that wiki page deleted but i guess you are right. 
On the science of orgasm, if mexico endocrinologist does not respond. I have the other two authors emails and have talked to both of them may be they can influence him.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: 27/05/2009 07:54:51 »
That's terrific, CC!

What transpired in your discussions with the other two?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: 27/05/2009 13:44:27 »
certainly people in the U.S. of French ancestry or descent would search Google here and probably not Google.fr., even though the search terms might be in the French language.
I agree with this. I'm also using google.com frequently.

UC Berkeley's Wellness Letter has some serious cautionary advice about 5-HTP, concluding that "the potential dangers of 5-HTP outweigh any possible benefits."
http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/ds/ds5HTP.php
They're also saying :"there have been no confirmed cases of the illness from 5-HTP supplements". This will help those who have already taken this supplement.

I have an idea on spreading to different countries.
Am guessing other countries have blogs or like a yahoo question/answer.
We go to their yahooos ask/answer, ask and answer our questions on pois in their language and put a link to our website.
Good idea CC. We can also find places where the question is already asked. Links are importants for our ranking in the search engines too.

Very good for the authors of the book. I hope it will work.
« Last Edit: 27/05/2009 13:51:13 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: 27/05/2009 22:24:27 »
Martin, once again you make excellent points above!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: 27/05/2009 22:33:28 »

Our POIS thread at Naked Science Forum has now exceeded 300,000 views. Hopefully this means that many POIS sufferers worldwide are reading our posts and finding some strong measure of hope and/or symptomatic relief from our sustained efforts to bring this debilitating syndrome out into the open for a good fight. And we are winning!
« Last Edit: 28/05/2009 21:11:41 by demografx »

Offline botbot

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: 27/05/2009 23:03:51 »
I'm male, age 37, and have had POIS for at least 15 years.  I only see a doctor for serious issues, so I was disappointed when an endocrinologist essentially said that it's probably just in my head.  My POIS pattern is quite predictable.  Ejaculation at night (for example); become very talkative that night.  Day 1: a kind of artificial energy in the morning, followed by growing fatigue in the afternoon and night and an markedly increased appetite.  Day 2: intense fatigue, tired eyes (I wish I had a better description), irritability, not "feeling myself," difficulty concentrating, increased appetite (often sweets, which I typically don't care for).  Then on Day 3 I'm fine; it's as if my tank has been refueled.  FYI, I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's disease.

What helps?  I try to limit ejaculation to once a week.  I also find eating a lot on Day 2 helps as does intense exercise.  Of course, it's immensely challenging to exercise, but I do feel a lift, so I try.

Any other tips on how you effectively cope?  I think if we all contribute our tips, it may improve the quality of life for many of us.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: 28/05/2009 03:02:18 »

botbot, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

The consensus at this forum to heal your POIS, is to start with hormonal bloodtesting, preferably with an endocrinologist.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community.

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4424 on: 28/05/2009 03:02:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums