The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6435113 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4450 on: 31/05/2009 06:22:32 »
Botbot, very admirable, you must have incredible determination to be able to force yourself to run in spite of the exhaustion, both mental and physical.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: 31/05/2009 17:50:23 »
When i think irritabilty, little little things infuriate but those same things will never be a problem when am normal.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: 31/05/2009 19:24:58 »
Thanks Demo for ALL the letters you sent recently!
I hope this will give us something positive. We didn't have a lot of chance with letters in the past.  It seems that the "famous" people are too busy to help us. I remember that Dr Waldinger said he could give us some strategies to explain what we can do to attract researchers (or to improve our condition, I don't remember exactly). It would have been great to have this from him.

Hi Botbot, I simply can't run 40 minutes in pois ! Except perhaps if I force myself but I'll suffer the consequences after this. I tried in the past and the maximum was 20 minutes. To give you a tip (you asked), when I'm in pois I have the tendency to stop moving. If you can avoid this as much as possible, not necessarily with the heavy exercise you mentionned, it will help a lot. Weight lifting has also been reported and it's true for me too. If you fill the questionnaire you'll also find some other tips from other people. Exercise, garlic, relora, protein diet, iodine, multivitamins, phosphatidylserine, treatment for hypothyroidism, DHEA, fenugreek, 5-HTP, SSRIs, testosterone,  ... and others were mentionned. If you search for these terms in our forum you'll find some possible side effects for these treatments.
« Last Edit: 31/05/2009 19:31:21 by martin88 »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: 31/05/2009 20:27:14 »

demographx good job,
I love the way you are broadcasting it.
I think it is time for you to check other hormones other than testerone, you might something else low. may be neurotransmitters.

Thanks a lot, CC!

I did do a fairly extensive hormonal workup (http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg253144#msg253144), testosterone simply looked like the culprit, everything else was ok except prolactin, which puzzled the endo, led to an MRI of the brain (pituitary) but so far hasn't yielded any POIS suspicion (but who knows?).

You might be right about neurotransmitters. Gee, I haven't even solved the high-prolactin problem! Finding a cure can be as exhausting as POIS itself! ;D

Thanks again for the support, CC!

ps - I thought I'd be "cured" today, but I still do have a bit of a POIS hangover. I hope it's the frequency lately and that the testosterone hasn't stopped working its magic!!

Next round(s) will tell!

I think the severity of symptoms, and even the presence of symptoms at all, has a lot more to do with the specific ejaculation, than most seem willing to consider.  As I've noted earlier, while symptomatic, an ejaculation can actually alleviate my symptoms, on occasion.  Also, the severity of symptoms does seem to vary depending, I think, on the ejaculation.

Others have mentioned this, (one sent me a PM about it), but I think most people have implicitly suggested this, in their posts.  It's just that instead of thinking it has anything to do with the nature of the ejaculation, it's more "didn't get enough sleep, frequency has been too high recently, didn't eat enough, ate too much, didn't have this vitamin," etc.  All of this is possible.  But it's also quite possible that the physiological response to orgasm varies, for other more subtle reasons.  Guthrie posted a fairly convincing reason for this.  (e.g. one orgasm causes over-activation, which the body in turn, over-suppresses, allowing a subsequent orgasm to compensate for this, by causing normal "activation", which is followed by normal "suppression").  Another explanation could be that, for instance, there is a % chance a pituitary, adrenal, or other abnormality is activated.  However, sometimes this activation won't occur.

Even if something like testosterone helps, there could still be some underlying cause that is being activated to different degrees, based on a particular response to a particular ejaculation.
« Last Edit: 31/05/2009 20:37:49 by Counterpoints »

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: 01/06/2009 00:47:58 »
WHO Update

Thanks again, Pronobis, Martin and Counterpoints and everyone else who contributed! This email went to WHO today. Hopefully, we will get a reply.

To:     WHO (World Health Organization)
Sent:   5/30/2009 11:04:20 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj:   Seeking help for our medical condition

Dear WHO,

We are writing to inform you about a serious new medical condition,....................

Great job Demo, I follow all you do here, even if I have nothing to add, I will keep you in touch about my endocrinologist (?) rendez vous.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: 01/06/2009 01:18:04 »

Great job Demo, I follow all you do here, even if I have nothing to add.

Thanks, Pronobis, but Martin and Counterpoints deserve most of the credit for the WHO letter itself. I was just a catalyst who instigated and helped facilitate things (after you yourself initiated the idea!) and pestered people to move as quickly as possible! :D

I will keep you in touch about my endocrinologist (?) rendez vous.

Excellent! We are all looking forward to hearing your progress!

Pronobis, don't forget the suggestion to show your endocrinologist Waldinger's paper. Also, point out that the study co-author is also an endocrinologist. Just send your regular email addresss by Private Message to me or to Pyropeach and we'll email you the paper. (Waldinger's study can only be sent via regular email, not forum Private Message)
« Last Edit: 01/06/2009 02:02:02 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: 01/06/2009 01:33:37 »

I think the severity of symptoms, and even the presence of symptoms at all, has a lot more to do with the specific ejaculation, than most seem willing to consider.  As I've noted earlier, while symptomatic, an ejaculation can actually alleviate my symptoms, on occasion.  Also, the severity of symptoms does seem to vary depending, I think, on the ejaculation.

Others have mentioned this, (one sent me a PM about it), but I think most people have implicitly suggested this, in their posts.  It's just that instead of thinking it has anything to do with the nature of the ejaculation, it's more "didn't get enough sleep, frequency has been too high recently, didn't eat enough, ate too much, didn't have this vitamin," etc.  All of this is possible.  But it's also quite possible that the physiological response to orgasm varies, for other more subtle reasons.  Guthrie posted a fairly convincing reason for this.  (e.g. one orgasm causes over-activation, which the body in turn, over-suppresses, allowing a subsequent orgasm to compensate for this, by causing normal "activation", which is followed by normal "suppression").  Another explanation could be that, for instance, there is a % chance a pituitary, adrenal, or other abnormality is activated.  However, sometimes this activation won't occur.

Even if something like testosterone helps, there could still be some underlying cause that is being activated to different degrees, based on a particular response to a particular ejaculation.

That's fascinating, CP! And very hopeful news! When you say varying POIS effects are due to "the specific ejaculation" I wonder if that could also include the sufferer's particular goings on at the time. For example, there was a very significant addition of stress for me this last time. Couldn't that trigger a "different physiological response" as you surmise?

The added-stress factor has been playing on my mind a lot as a reason for my most disappointing POIS episode since starting treatment!

And your theory that testosterone might not be the whole picture, I'm starting to believe is right...even though I don't want to believe it! :)
« Last Edit: 01/06/2009 01:41:03 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: 01/06/2009 01:46:40 »
CP, you may be interested to know that I did my last blood test (last week) symptomatic. So now I will have in-POIS and out-of-POIS comparisons.

To everyone: CP convinced me and others here that in-POIS tests are the best way to start, followed by out-of-POIS comparison.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: 01/06/2009 06:44:46 »

That's fascinating, CP! And very hopeful news! When you say varying POIS effects are due to "the specific ejaculation" I wonder if that could also include the sufferer's particular goings on at the time. For example, there was a very significant addition of stress for me this last time. Couldn't that trigger a "different physiological response" as you surmise?

The added-stress factor has been playing on my mind a lot as a reason for my most disappointing POIS episode since starting treatment!

And your theory that testosterone might not be the whole picture, I'm starting to believe is right...even though I don't want to believe it! :)

Stress could make a difference.  It's hard to say.  It seems the severity of POIS following a given ejaculation varies from time to time, for many of us.  However, these changes have often been attributed to external factors -- sleep, supplements, frequency, etc. (By me, you, and others).  These could definitely have an effect.  However, I'm wondering if there is something more internal that is happening.  In other words, I wonder if we were to keep all of these other factors constant -- sleep, frequency, etc. -- whether the severity of POIS will still vary from ejaculation to ejaculation.

This is definitely the case for me. 
« Last Edit: 01/06/2009 06:47:17 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: 01/06/2009 06:46:17 »
CP, you may be interested to know that I did my last blood test (last week) symptomatic. So now I will have in-POIS and out-of-POIS comparisons.

To everyone: CP convinced me and others here that in-POIS tests are the best way to start, followed by out-of-POIS comparison.

Good luck! I can't promise there will be a difference, but I hope this may give some additional information.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: 01/06/2009 09:17:59 »
CP, thanks for clarifying that it's strictly internal factors you're wondering about. In your case, have you speculated what those internal variables could be?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: 01/06/2009 09:20:46 »
B_Jim, who else (POIS-types) do you think could benefit from magnesium?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: 01/06/2009 14:28:22 »
Vitamin D and magnesium regulation is complex.
So it's another argument to not abuse Vitamin D supplement. We need a normal level of vitamin D, not more.
Interesting B_Jim. From what I feel personally I think it's the same for a lot of nutritional supplements. and that's why I prefer low doses.

Here a study confirming what you're saying about vit D, and showing a link between  vitamin D depletion and testicular function/size :

The effect of vitamin D-repletion on testicular function in vitamin D-deficient male rats was also reported (10). This study has clearly shown that reduced reproductive capacity and fertility due to disturbances in Sertoli and Leydig cell functions in vitamin D deficient male rats is reversed by administration of  an optimal dose of vitamin D. However, a high dose of vitamin D administration, in this study, deteriorated the testicular function in vitamin D-deficient male rats.

In conclusion, Vitamin D is necessary for testicular functions, such as spermatogenesis, in chickens and rats. Development of the seminiferous tubules of vitamin D-depleted chickens was impaired, and normal histological appearance of the seminiferous tubules was destroyed. Further research at the molecular level are needed to reveal the exact effects of vitamin D-depletion in chicken testes.

http://www.isrvma.org/article/57_3_3.htm

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: 01/06/2009 14:43:09 »
An other interesting study saying that a low dose supplement of vitamin A (with iron)is as efficient as testosterone therapy for delayed puberty and testicular function:

Supplements of iron and vitamin A are as effective as androgen for constitutional delayed growth and puberty (CDGP), according to the results of a randomized study published in the June issue of Clinical Endocrinology.

After six months of vitamin A supplementation, growth acceleration was similar to that seen in the oxandrolone- and testosterone-treated children and significantly greater than in the observation group. In the vitamin A-supplemented group, puberty, defined as an increase in testicular volume of 12 mL, was induced within 12 months

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&cluster=4304803166635927309&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=X9kjSvaXI5ThtgfLq7y0Bg&sa=X&oi=science_links&resnum=1&ct=sl-allversions

And an other similar for vitamin K :
Vitamin K deficiency reduces testosterone production in the testis through down-regulation of the Cyp11a a cholesterol side chain cleavage enzyme in rats

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T1W-4K48KGD-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=90e4d2e00b06dec85fea4b516ea4749d

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: 01/06/2009 20:45:14 »
Magnesium definitely reduces my Pois symptoms.

---

Vitamin D and Mg .

Vitamin D increases mg intestinal absobtion especially when there is a deficiency.
but
Excessive Vitamin D increases urinary mg excretion.

Vitamin D and magnesium regulation is complex.
So it's another argument to not abuse Vitamin D supplement. We need a normal level of vitamin D, not more.

---

I tried magnesium (my doctor prescribed me to avoid the fatigue), I didn't feel any difference. May be because I took it only 1 week.

Offline beyondfrustrated

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: 02/06/2009 05:41:42 »
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I found this forum a few days ago by googling something like "I can't concentrate after orgasm" or "exhausted after orgasm". I can't remember which one it was, but either way, I'm very excited to know I'm not alone. I must start with an apology for not reading all of your posts before posting. I read about 24 pages and then skipped to the end, so if I ask or say something that's already been covered, forgive me.

Here is my story.

I think this may have started when I was a teenager, or maybe earlier. I'm not really sure. I always had a hard time concentrating and staying awake in school, even in grade school, but things got much worse as I became a teenager. Basically, I started masturbating a lot in high school. I did it so much that it became my escape from reality. It was like crack to me.(Can over masturbation cause problems?) I also smoked a lot of pot around this time and I started having bad panic attacks. My doctor put me on Paxil for several years to treat the panic attacks, and it did work, but I felt like a robot with no emotion. I just couldn't deal with that. I am now in my early thirties, and I just figured out that I have a POIS problem. I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out! What a joke!

Anyway, my symptoms are the following: (and they can last up to 3 days)
1. Extreme exhaustion (to the point that it can be difficult to climb three flights of stairs!)
2. Brain FOG!!! (I'm mentally useless)
3. anxious, nervous and irritable
4. I've also been noticing slight indigestion lately, but it may just be a coincidence.

I don't take any drugs (other than an occasional beer and an occasional cigarette)
My diet is kind of crappy (not enough vegetables, fruit, or water)
I'm quite a bit under weight (I'm 6ft tall 142lbs)
I'm a sex addict (it is my drug of choice)
I feel like crap after any form of ejaculation (whether it be sex, masturbation, or a wet dream) though sometimes my POIS symptoms only last about 1.5 days.
I strongly believe in Jesus Christ, but I was not raised by strict religous parents.

Here are some questions I would love for you to answer

1. Are you underweight or overweight?
2. Do you suffer from anxiety attacks?
3. Do you have low self esteem issues?
4. Do you suffer from bouts of severe depression?
5. Do you, or have you, taken antidepressants or other antipsychotic drugs? And if so, how long did you take them?
6. Do you eat healthy?
7. Do you exercise?
8. Do you hit REM sleep on a regular basis?
9. Do you have issues with sex (are you a sex addict? Do you think about sex all the time? Is sex one of the main focuses of your life?)
9. Are you religious?

More than anything else, I would like to know how many of you take or have taken antidepressants or antipaychotic drugs.
Could POIS be a result of these drugs???

Again, I'm sorry if much of this has already been covered. I just couldn't make it through all 191 pages.

Let's figure this out!!!
« Last Edit: 02/06/2009 05:54:05 by beyondfrustrated »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: 02/06/2009 11:01:47 »
POIS Update,
 I have had some more success, and I believe it is due to Relora. Last week I had two orgasms a day apart and I have had no symptoms since then. In the days following each one I consumed some Relora (and garlic as well).  I waited a week to post because I often have the “Phase B” that hits later on (a burnt out feeling), but nothing yet.  Last night I had an NE and this morning I took ˝ a capsule of Relora. We’ll see what happens.

Beyondfrustrated,
Welcome,  I am glad you found us.  I will answer your questions as if it was many years ago in the depths of my POIS (when I was more sexually active), and also from today’s perspective.

1. Are you underweight or overweight?
2. Do you suffer from anxiety attacks?
3. Do you have low self esteem issues?
4. Do you suffer from bouts of severe depression?
5. Do you, or have you, taken antidepressants or other antipsychotic drugs? And if so, how long did you take them?
6. Do you eat healthy?
7. Do you exercise?
8. Do you hit REM sleep on a regular basis?
9. Do you have issues with sex (are you a sex addict? Do you think about sex all the time? Is sex one of the main focuses of your life?)
9. Are you religious?

1.   No/Same
2.   In POIS I have high anxiety/ Same
3.   Perhaps yes, due to awareness of a my secret truth (POIS)/ Same
4.   No/ Same
5.   Very limited pot in my youth after POIS began/ Took SSRI’s (neither causal to POIS)
6.   So-so/ Yes
7.   No /Yes
8.   Yes/ Have sleep issues, so I guess not always
9.   Yes/ No
9.   No/Yes

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: 02/06/2009 17:07:24 »
beyondfrustrated, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

The consensus at this forum to heal your POIS, is to start with hormonal bloodtesting, preferably with an endocrinologist.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send "Pyropeach" a Private Message with your regular email address and he'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around the recipient's name, e.g., "pyropeach".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. In other words, "IT'S NOT ALL IN OUR HEADS!"

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 02/06/2009 17:19:36 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: 02/06/2009 17:14:45 »

POIS Update,

I have had some more success, and I believe it is due to Relora.

John, so happy to hear that!

John gets special congratulations, because without John having posted the very first post here two years ago, this forum wouldn't be here! AND...he stayed to contribute more and more!
« Last Edit: 02/06/2009 17:17:28 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: 02/06/2009 17:28:44 »

1. Are you underweight or overweight? SOME OF THE LATTER
2. Do you suffer from anxiety attacks? NO, BUT HIGH ANXIETY NOW AND THEN
3. Do you have low self esteem issues? SOMETIMES
4. Do you suffer from bouts of severe depression? NO LONGER, WITH MEDS
5. Do you, or have you, taken antidepressants or other antipsychotic drugs? And if so, how long did you take them? YES, ANTI-D's FOR 20 YEARS
6. Do you eat healthy? MOSTLY, BUT ALSO SOME SWEETS
7. Do you exercise? UNFORTUNATELY, VERY LITTLE
8. Do you hit REM sleep on a regular basis? YES
9. Do you have issues with sex (are you a sex addict? Do you think about sex all the time? Is sex one of the main focuses of your life?) INTERMITTENTLY AND INFREQUENTLY
9. Are you religious? NO

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: 02/06/2009 20:09:12 »

1. Are you underweight or overweight? I weaken and lose weight with POIS
2. Do you suffer from anxiety attacks? a little
3. Do you have low self esteem issues? a little
4. Do you suffer from bouts of severe depression? no
5. Do you, or have you, taken antidepressants or other antipsychotic drugs? And if so, how long did you take them? no
6. Do you eat healthy? Like student does ... so no ))
7. Do you exercise? not now, but same with when I was doing
8. Do you hit REM sleep on a regular basis? Never had a sleep problem
9. Do you have issues with sex (are you a sex addict? Do you think about sex all the time? Is sex one of the main focuses of your life?) I am very excited and sex addict
9. Are you religious? No

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: 03/06/2009 06:27:57 »
Martin, I think you made the suggestion recently that in-POIS, it's better to keep moving in spite of our natural desire to rest and be relatively motionless.

I saw this today so well! The endocrinologist appointment "pushed" me out of the house. When I was out, I pushed myself to do some more minor errands, and with the nice weather (sunshine, perfect temperature for me, etc.) it felt good!

But once home, it was so difficult to avoid couchpotatoness (I just fabricated that word) - i.e., the couch.

Terrific meeting with my endo today. Will write more later.

Offline beyondfrustrated

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: 03/06/2009 21:27:58 »
Thanks for your reply guys!

demografx,
I will definitely check out those resources when I have some free time. Thanks!

I'm on day 3 today and I'm feeling mentally and physically sharp! If only I could feel this good on day 1!!!!
:(

I think I'm going to try getting more sleep, eating better, and maybe I'll try a few herbal supplements such as Saint Johns Wort. I have a feeling it may help a little. Any of you guys try this?

I did recently notice that when I keep busy my POIS symtoms seem to dissipate a little. It makes me wonder if some of my POIS symtoms may be mental. I definitely think it's more chemical than anything but it's hard to say.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: 04/06/2009 00:56:39 »
Martin, I think you made the suggestion recently that in-POIS, it's better to keep moving in spite of our natural desire to rest and be relatively motionless.

I saw this today so well! The endocrinologist appointment "pushed" me out of the house. When I was out, I pushed myself to do some more minor errands, and with the nice weather (sunshine, perfect temperature for me, etc.) it felt good!

But once home, it was so difficult to avoid couchpotatoness (I just fabricated that word) - i.e., the couch.

Terrific meeting with my endo today. Will write more later.
Unfortunately moving is definitely not a 100% cure. But it helps.

I'm looking forward to read your post about your endo!

1. Are you underweight or overweight?I'd say underweight but normal according to this http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp?introPage=intro_3.html
2. Do you suffer from anxiety attacks? yes
3. Do you have low self esteem issues?yes
4. Do you suffer from bouts of severe depression?yes
5. Do you, or have you, taken antidepressants or other antipsychotic drugs? And if so, how long did you take them? no
6. Do you eat healthy?yes
7. Do you exercise?yes but no cardio
8. Do you hit REM sleep on a regular basis? Maybe no.I don't know.
9. Do you have issues with sex (are you a sex addict? Do you think about sex all the time? Is sex one of the main focuses of your life?) sometimes
9. Are you religious? yes & no
« Last Edit: 04/06/2009 01:09:43 by martin88 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: 04/06/2009 01:27:53 »
I tried magnesium (my doctor prescribed me to avoid the fatigue), I didn't feel any difference. May be because I took it only 1 week.

Hi Pronobis, magnesium has no effect for me too but when I was younger it was very helpful for pois. I suppose that I'm not using it like before, I don't know why.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2009 03:40:37 by martin88 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4474 on: 04/06/2009 01:27:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums