The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6446109 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4475 on: 04/06/2009 03:54:13 »
Update - Endocrinologist visit

Yesterday we did a 3 month review of my progress, with lab results mostly ready from in-POIS testing last week. I was pleasantly surprised when the endo showed much greater interest in POIS this time!

Total testosterone and free testosterone increased significantly since March, which was good news because if free and total T hadn't increased by now, he was ready to switch me to a pump gel, and I was already comfortable with the T-patches.

Free T went from 1.45% to 1.64%. 1.5% is the lower end of the reference range and that satisfied him enough to not recommend switching to gel. Total testosterone went from 255 to 487, the norm being 250 - 1100 (ng/dL).

T4 (thyroid) was normal. All the tests combined gave the endo a feeling that the pituitary was working as it should.

There was a lab mixup, so prolactin was not ordered. I will be re-tested in August. He doesn't seem concerned at all about the very high readings from before (once the followup pituitary/brain scan revealed nothing of concern to him).

We discussed POIS and I said that most times, it feels like a 90% POIS cure, within certain frequency limits. Outside those limits it can drop to 70%. We discussed last week's high-POIS episode and the associated trauma I was experiencing about another situation, and he agreed that the added stress I experienced could have thrown the endocrine system out of balance, leading to high POIS. But since that anomaly, things are now back to "high performance", after 2 more "tests" :).

I suppose I shouldn't have to worry about frequency, but that's not a huge price to pay to have a life that I can reasonably expect to be a mostly POIS-free existence without resorting to celibacy, which I never succeeded at.

He added some more tests this time, including a basic metabolic panel (sodium, potassium, chloride, etc.), and PSA. PSA is necessary with testosterone treatment to see if prostate problems, including cancer can be detected. It was normal. Along with PSA, a digital rectal exam is necessary, but I had already done that with a urologist in January, so I'm "free" for the remainder of the year from that!

Glucose was high, potentially pre-diabetic. So B_Jim was right :), I need to cut back on sweets dramatically.

Hemoglobin A1C was at the high end of the reference range, possibly also relating to pre-diabetes? Creatinine (kidney function) was slightly high, possibly from red meat in his opinion. But I don't eat much red meat, so we'll keep an eye on that.

I wrote him an email after the visit, saying that he basically helped change my life, not just because of the successful diagnosis and treatment, but for validating my POIS condition, which I never before experienced, especially by someone with a very high status in the medical and academic community. Plus his attitude. (Respect, partnership and humor).

« Last Edit: 04/06/2009 23:03:32 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: 04/06/2009 04:12:35 »

I did recently notice that when I keep busy my POIS symtoms seem to dissipate a little. It makes me wonder if some of my POIS symtoms may be mental. I definitely think it's more chemical than anything but it's hard to say.

I think most of us felt that way early in studying our POIS patterns, but eventually came to believe that it's almost entirely "chemical".

Any one else have a thought about that?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: 04/06/2009 18:42:23 »

demografx,

I will definitely check out those resources when I have some free time. Thanks!

beyondfrustrated, I just sent you Waldinger paper via your regular email, please let me know that you received it.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2009 20:50:10 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: 04/06/2009 20:48:59 »

Pronobis : You should take magnesium at least 3-4 weeks to have an improvement.

Demo : If your glucose is high on an empty stomach,you should try to eat healthy during 1 or 2 months. From my experience eat fruit instead of sugar and more vegetables/less raffeined starch is enough to improve. Caffeine is probably a bad friend too...
But your tests are good anyway : testoterone in progress, T4... That's a good job :)
I consider Pois at least 90% chemical. Doctors definitly under-estimate physical stressors like sugar abuse and artificial lights and of course under-estimate effect of orgasm on hormonal/neurotransmitters balance.

B_Jim, do you think I should try magnesium? I started to cut back sugar. I've cut back caffeine. But I can't quit 100%!!!

I wasted so much time treating POIS as psychological!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: 05/06/2009 03:47:17 »
Demo,
Very nice for your balanced T and PSA blood test.
For glucose I think your best card along with good diet is exercise. See this page : http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/exercise-guidelines

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: 05/06/2009 04:59:05 »

Demo,

Very nice for your balanced T and PSA blood test.
For glucose I think your best card along with good diet is exercise. See this page : http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/exercise-guidelines

Thanks, Martin, my wife and doctors have been pushing that for many, many years. Decades. I'm stubborn, it even took me a couple years here at the forum before I would see an endocrinologist!

But I finally did see the endo, so who knows? I've had sporadic excercise attempts over the years, some lasting for years, even working out strenuously for 18 months in the same gym as Arnold Schwarzenegger and other world class bodybuilders. One problem I have is that when I work out or do cardio, my system reacts as if someone had dumped a gallon of caffeine down my throat. My doctor and others believe me, but it's the very opposite of the good reaction people usually get with endorphins. So my only alternative is to work out without reaching "optimum cardio level"....and that is very boring.

Offline David_S

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: 05/06/2009 07:04:19 »
Hi everyone!

I have been checking this thread almost daily for any new information but I finally decided to post.  While I admit I haven't read all 192 pages, I was wondering if I could learn something new by describing my symptoms after orgasm.

- Severe agitation and irritability for almost 24 hours after orgasm
- Light-headedness for the duration of the agitation (possibly less)
- Muscle weakness after the agitation is gone (e.g. Physical Therapy grip strength tests have me at    7-9lbs while in the weakened state, and 80-90 when not, but it's not just my grip, all my muscles are affected)
- The weakness seems to be accompanied by "brain fog"

After 2-3 weeks I will regain the muscle strength every time unless I masturbate within the 2-3 week "recovery time" which from past experience causes the weakness to continue for another few weeks.  Nocturnal emission does not trigger any of the above symptoms.

All of this started when I was around 13; I'm 20 years old now.  Until last year I did not make this correlation.  I'm waiting to see an endo but I've met with one before and nothing unusual was found from the blood tests.  My diet is healthy, I eat organic food, avoid sweets, and drink plenty of water.  I eat frequent small meals to keep my blood sugar stable.

Thank you for your time.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: 05/06/2009 08:14:02 »
David_S, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

David, many thanks for posting. we look forward to hearing more of your experiences in your next post. It's very interesting that you escape POIS when having an NE!  (Did I read that correctly?) Also interesting that the last endo's bloodtesting revealed normalcy.

I'm very sorry to hear of the extended recovery time but I hope that at least it gets better every day in that 2-3 week period!

Can you say which categories were tested in your last blood tests? Here's what I tested:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg253144#msg253144
In my particular case, free testosterone was low and I was put on testosterone patches. The patches have effected a dramatic cure (sometimes 70%, but mostly 90% cured per episode). You might want to check the previous posts to see what others have tested for. Here's a way to get started:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hormones+tested+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

It's great that you're seeing an endo once again! We have to keep fighting. Try to take your first test while you're in-POIS. Then follow that up with out-of-POIS so you'll have a comparison of symptomatic and nonsymptomatic times.

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send me a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 20:37:39 by demografx »

Offline David_S

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: 05/06/2009 18:31:45 »
Thank you for replying.  Unfortunately I can't remember everything that they tested in the earlier endo visit, I just recall nothing being abnormal.

To clarify, an NE does not stop my POIS.  I saw some earlier posts say they got symptoms after an NE as well as orgasm but mine seems to be orgasm only.  For some reason my muscle weakness etc doesn't gradually improve over time but after the 2-3 weeks all my strength returns in an instant.

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: 05/06/2009 21:02:28 »
Pronobis : You should take magnesium at least 3-4 weeks to have an improvement.

Thanx, then I shoud take it regularly, all my life? It's not an irony, but I'd like to know, what will it change?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: 05/06/2009 23:56:34 »
DOPAMINE RECEPTORS

Several people here have already reported a form of attention deficit.
It would be interesting to test us (maybe costly tests) for this genetic problem linked with dopamine receptors :
It would be nice to find a pois gene!

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
Dopamine receptors have been recognized as important components in the etiology of ADHD for many years. Drugs used to treat ADHD, including methylphenidate and amphetamine, have significant effects on dopamine signaling in the brain. Studies of gene association have implicated several genes within dopamine signaling pathways; in particular, the D4.7 variant of D4 has been consistently shown to be more frequent in ADHD patients.[16] ADHD patients with the 4.7 allele also tend to have better cognitive performance and long-term outcomes compared to ADHD patients without the 4.7 allele, suggesting that the allele is associated with a more benign form of ADHD.[16]
The D4.7 allele has suppressed gene expression compared to other variants.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_receptor

From the same link above, in the paragraph "Dopamine regulation" it is said that a sharp decreases in dopamine can upregulate the dopamine receptors, if I understand well :)  .
So  dopamine just before orgasm can eventually be too high causing our problems after orgasm. This could explain why fenugreek (which can decrease dopamine) can help pois. Sorry if all this has already been mentionned before.

It would be great to have a follow-up with all the medicines to treat pois (fenugreek,5htp,phosphatidylserine,etc), like Demo is reporting with his testosterone therapy, or John with Garlic. So we could see if there's a long term efficiency...

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: 06/06/2009 00:49:37 »
Very possible Martin, although I think it is more than just dopamine.  I have tried methylphenidate.  On the first day, I had increased focus, but the POIS was still obvious in the background. Repeated attempts just made me feel spacey.

For me, and I think this is a really big clue, orgasm is like an "on" and "off" switch for these symptoms.  I suspect this is true for others as well. (It took me a fair amount of experimentation to figure this out).  To answer Demo's question, I'm not sure exactly why.  I think orgasm is activating some neurological or adrenal function, and it can also de-activate this function.

I think "hypersexuality" has been associated with adrenal adenomas, which could be another clue.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 00:54:04 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: 06/06/2009 01:02:19 »

DOPAMINE RECEPTORS

Several people here have already reported a form of attention deficit.
It would be interesting to test us (maybe costly tests) for this genetic problem linked with dopamine receptors :
It would be nice to find a pois gene!

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
Dopamine receptors have been recognized as important components in the etiology of ADHD for many years. Drugs used to treat ADHD, including methylphenidate and amphetamine, have significant effects on dopamine signaling in the brain. Studies of gene association have implicated several genes within dopamine signaling pathways; in particular, the D4.7 variant of D4 has been consistently shown to be more frequent in ADHD patients.[16] ADHD patients with the 4.7 allele also tend to have better cognitive performance and long-term outcomes compared to ADHD patients without the 4.7 allele, suggesting that the allele is associated with a more benign form of ADHD.[16]
The D4.7 allele has suppressed gene expression compared to other variants.[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine_receptor

From the same link above, in the paragraph "Dopamine regulation" it is said that a sharp decreases in dopamine can upregulate the dopamine receptors, if I understand well :)  .
So  dopamine just before orgasm can eventually be too high causing our problems after orgasm. This could explain why fenugreek (which can decrease dopamine) can help pois. Sorry if all this has already been mentionned before.

It would be great to have a follow-up with all the medicines to treat pois (fenugreek,5htp,phosphatidylserine,etc), like Demo is reporting with his testosterone therapy, or John with Garlic. So we could see if there's a long term efficiency...

Martin, I've had great success for three years now with Adderall XR (basically, extended release amphetamine salts) for (1) ADHD, and (2) depression. And (3) it's helped my POIS, too! No adverse longterm effects that I can see. It's been around over 50 years, so it has a lengthy study history. But it does have a potential for abuse in addictive personalities.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 01:11:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: 06/06/2009 01:31:25 »

Thank you for replying.  Unfortunately I can't remember everything that they tested in the earlier endo visit, I just recall nothing being abnormal.

It still might be useful to ask for a copy of the labwork (it's your right) just to see what you did/didn't test, and compare it to some of our experiences.

For some reason my muscle weakness etc doesn't gradually improve over time but after the 2-3 weeks all my strength returns in an instant.

Sorry to hear that you have to suffer so long with each episode. Hopefully a treatment will be found. At least you have an idea of what the muscle weakness is associated with.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: 06/06/2009 01:31:36 »
Martin, I've had great success for three years now with Adderall XR (basically, extended release amphetamine salts) for (1) ADHD, and (2) depression. And (3) it's helped my POIS, too! No adverse longterm effects that I can see. It's been around over 50 years, so it has a lengthy study history. But it does have a potential for abuse in addictive personalities.

Adderall was only introduced to the market in 1996.  Maybe you are thinking of a different amphetamine?

How much would you say Adderall decreases your POIS?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: 06/06/2009 01:33:37 »

Adderall was only introduced to the market in 1996.  Maybe you are thinking of a different amphetamine?

Adderall is basically just amphetamine.

How much would you say Adderall decreases your POIS?

Very hard to pinpoint. So much has transpired these last 3 years with an interaction of variables, i.e., severe depression, anxiety, ADHD, POIS. I know that as I feel a mental boost out-of-POIS, I feel a twin "brain fog combatter" and exhaustion/fatigue fighter in-POIS.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 02:32:36 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: 06/06/2009 02:30:41 »
Sperm regeneration

In my case, I feel that POIS and sperm regeneration are somehow related, and an analogy that keeps coming to mind is that of an automobile and gas.

When the car's gas tank is "full", it runs well and goes far. When the sperm is in full supply, the "human car" is in good shape, too.

If either are depleted, the "cars" simply don't run well, or at all. POIS seems to be very much related to "gas" (sperm) depletion.

I have a comparison to my previous full-blown POIS experiences, without testosterone. In those experiences, I could, again, "feel" it take a long time to regenerate sperm once the supply is exhausted, weeks, sometimes months. With normal levels of testosterone flowing in my body, I can feel it ("filling up") happening in days.

I could be wrong, and I certainly have no empirical evidence to back it up, but it certainly feels that way.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 05:40:17 by demografx »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: 06/06/2009 04:44:13 »
Interesting. I remember you were helped by coffee too.

About the caffeine effect when you exercise I'm wondering if it could be this med Adderal which needs a dosage adjustment. Normally sport should have a calming effect!
But I heard that sport has also a psychostimulant effect like coffee.(noradrenaline ?)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: 06/06/2009 04:50:28 »
Very possible Martin, although I think it is more than just dopamine.  I have tried methylphenidate.  On the first day, I had increased focus, but the POIS was still obvious in the background. Repeated attempts just made me feel spacey.

For me, and I think this is a really big clue, orgasm is like an "on" and "off" switch for these symptoms.  I suspect this is true for others as well. (It took me a fair amount of experimentation to figure this out).  To answer Demo's question, I'm not sure exactly why.  I think orgasm is activating some neurological or adrenal function, and it can also de-activate this function.

I think "hypersexuality" has been associated with adrenal adenomas, which could be another clue.
Counterpoints,
Pois is complex for us, I'm just trying to find some new pieces (low budget!) of the puzzle. Possibly methylphenydate doesn't play on all dopamine receptors according to the link I posted, or there is something else..

(Other information from the same link:
Dopamine receptors are implicated in modulation of neuroendocrine signaling )

About the on and off switch :
For me the equation more orgasms = more fatigue, muscle weakness, anxiety and nervous weakness is ALWAYS true.
However rarely I could notice a temporary relief of depression after subsequent orgasms. Temporary is important. In fact I think this relief can be caused by increased nervous sensivity (weakness) to the pleasure of the orgasm.

Hypersexuality and a pituitary disorder is perhaps possible too. I was thinking about this when you talked about one NE every 3 days. It seems to me to be a lot (?).
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 13:19:58 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: 06/06/2009 05:35:08 »
Interesting. I remember you were helped by coffee too.

About the caffeine effect when you exercise I'm wondering if it could be this med Adderal which needs a dosage adjustment. Normally sport should have a calming effect!
But I heard that sport has also a psychostimulant effect like coffee.(noradrenaline ?)

In almost all my workout periods of any length, Adderall was never involved. But I was drinking coffee and sometimes taking ginseng. But even in periods when I was without any stimulant, I always had a hyper reaction to exercise. My wife doesn't believe me. :D

Offline beyondfrustrated

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: 06/06/2009 16:50:04 »
Hey guys,

At the risk of sounding like a complete nutjob, I experienced something the other day
that stumped me. I masturbated without looking at porn, something I almost never do, and I happened to notice my POIS symptoms were almost nonexistant. Has anyone else experienced this? I know this doesn't make any logical sense, but it is what it is. I think I'm going to avoid porn for at least the next three sessions(it will be extremely difficult) and see how I feel. Being a believer, I must consider the possibility of spirtual issues as well.
(all of you non-believers can roll your eyes and write me off if you'd like, I don't mind) Believing in Christ is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Ok, I'll stop preaching now. Sorry about that :)

Does anyone else think that porn is the biggest waste of time and has no positive use? It really sucks to be addicted to something that's such a huge waste of time.
Not to mention, it's pure brain rot. Honestly, it has done nothing but make my life complicated and miserable.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 20:54:50 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: 06/06/2009 17:35:47 »
Hey guys,

At the risk of sounding like a complete nutjob, I experienced something the other day
that stumped me. I masturbated without looking at porn, something I almost never do, and I happened to notice my POIS symptoms were almost nonexistant. Has anyone else experienced this? I know this doesn't make any logical sense, but it is what it is. I think I'm going to avoid porn for at least the next three whack sessions(it will be extremely difficult) and see how I feel. Being a believer, I must consider the possibility of spirtual issues as well.
(all of you non-believers can roll your eyes and write me off if you'd like, I don't mind) Believing in Christ is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Ok, I'll stop preaching now. Sorry about that :)

Does anyone else think that porn is the biggest waste of time and has no positive use? It really sucks to be addicted to something that's such a huge waste of time.
Not to mention, it's pure brain rot. Honestly, it has done nothing but make my life complicated and miserable.

Again, this could be an "off" switch instance, attributed to something else. 

As far as the religious influence... do what you think is best.  Although I suspect you are more likely to get results taking a scientific approach.  (Also, IMO, there is no sensible reason you, and especially you in particular, would be punished for sexual activity).  Also note, that many could equally well say that becoming an agnostic or an atheist is the best thing that happened to them. (For one, it eliminates, imo, a lot of needless guilt).

But yes, I would avoid porn or sexually stimulating material, if you have POIS.  Generally, reducing sex-cravings, drive, addiction, seems to be helpful in minimizing the amount of time we spend affected by this problem. I notice I seem to be susceptible to porn and sex addiction. 
« Last Edit: 06/06/2009 17:45:45 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: 06/06/2009 20:17:07 »

At the risk of sounding like a complete nutjob...

Relax, anyone exposed to POIS as long as we have, becomes, a complete nutjob. :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: 06/06/2009 20:52:26 »
Effect of glycemic index on adrenaline level:

Blue= High Glycemic Index
Red=Low glycemic index

B_Jim, I'm not sure what the implication of the graph is. Can you please elaborate?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: 06/06/2009 21:54:05 »
beyondfrustrated, please let me know if you got my private message. Thanks.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4499 on: 06/06/2009 21:54:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums