The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6459929 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4525 on: 10/06/2009 00:03:31 »
Skeptical article about Candida written by an M.D.

I am not posting this to discredit any posts about Candida. I just believe people should have as much information as possible, both pro and con, to help them make up their mind.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candida.html

« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 00:12:12 by demografx »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: 10/06/2009 00:32:55 »
Demo,
John, terrific! Can you please tell us what is your regimen for Relora?

Nothing very specific yet, it is too new. I have taken half a capsule initially following an orgasm or NE, and continued it with one or two half capsules the following day(s). Initially I was quite sensitive to it, with noticeable drowsiness but that has reduced somewhat with usage. I'm not sure, it might only take a hit of it following orgasm to set things right. I am going to experiment with it more apart from sex as a relaxant, to see if it might eventually help my insomnia. When I first tried it months ago I had a negative experience, a full capsule made me feel drugged, and it affected my sleep at that dosage. 1/4 capsule to 1/2 capsule makes me a little drowsy, but it is tolerable and it doesn't make my sleeping any worse at least. I suspect that my tolerance will increase with usage.

Tarkington, did you have such a sensitive reaction to Relora?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: 10/06/2009 00:37:28 »

taking Relora three times a day

Tarkington, can you say which brand and which dosage?

John, what is the brand and strength of your capsule dosage?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 00:41:10 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: 10/06/2009 05:43:29 »

I am not posting this to discredit any posts about Candida. I just believe people should have as much information as possible, both pro and con, to help them make up their mind.

So candida albicans exist, but doctors have misdiagnosed it so many times that it is not recognized by the medical community any more?

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: 10/06/2009 06:46:08 »
POISE NOISE:
1. I am overweight
2. Tried pot once.
3. I tried to prolong the good feeling without coming  to an end when the bad feeling begins.  Trying to stop just before and let it shrink and start over.  For a while I thought that may have caused the problem wearing me out
4.  TV.
 Computer avoider until recently and only for necessary stuff like this forum.

If a girfriend dumps you for not satisfying her sexually consider it a good thing even if it feels bad now.   You're not a piece of meat.   At 26 you will probably see a cure and enjoy most of your life and be part of it by joining this forum.

MY pois symptoms  seem to last a day or 2 at most now instead of a week.  I am usually good for about the 1st 12 hours then I stiffen up around the spine from lower back to back of head.  It begins to relieve at 24 hours almost exactly.  Then lessens quickly for the next 12 hours and then it goes back to a gradual loosening.

I take  probiotic for general health altough alone wouldn't
help that much.  Any kind of fruit particularly berries are a good thing for diet.  Local in season stuff better than those full of presevatives.

Last time I also filled the tub with as cold water as i could stand  and laying there for a while.  Seemed to take away the warm feverish feeling

I asked about pain threshold because natural substances like those in Relora and in some studies Yohimbe were found to decrease sesitvity of pain receptors in the nerve endings in muscles.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: 10/06/2009 10:43:36 »
Demo,
I have Trophic 250mg.

I am amazed at my sensitivity to it. Last night I wet my finger and lightly pressed it into a small amount if it and ate it, and I got quite a buzz. It is a mix of a joyful feeling and lethargy. Here it is the next morning and I still feel it! It must be a natural tranquilizer, and for me it is probably as powerful as some tranquilizer drugs. But then I am generally very sensitive to many things. I don't drink alcohol, but if I have a "near beer" with 0.05% alcohol I can feel it. Still, I would recommend that anyone use caution with Relora, especially when on other medication.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 10:51:18 by John21 »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: 10/06/2009 18:12:57 »
Demo,
I have Trophic 250mg.

I am amazed at my sensitivity to it. Last night I wet my finger and lightly pressed it into a small amount if it and ate it, and I got quite a buzz. It is a mix of a joyful feeling and lethargy. Here it is the next morning and I still feel it! It must be a natural tranquilizer, and for me it is probably as powerful as some tranquilizer drugs. But then I am generally very sensitive to many things. I don't drink alcohol, but if I have a "near beer" with 0.05% alcohol I can feel it. Still, I would recommend that anyone use caution with Relora, especially when on other medication.

Do you think you could be reacting to something else?  I'm sure you'd find more than 0.05% alcohol in typical grapes, bananas, raspberries, potatoes, etc. To get the same effect as even one can of regular beer, you'd need to drink 34 litres (1150 ounces) of "near beer" in about 5 minutes... actually, you'd probably have to drink even more than that (60+ litres?), since the concentrated nature of a substance is partly responsible for the effect.  Of course, drinking more than 30 litres of anything in a short time would be impossible or would cause far more serious problems than an alcohol dose equivalent to a can of beer.

I know I have felt very strange after having a couple bottles of "non-alcoholic" Clausthaler (or O'Doul's).  It can cause me to have a really unusual POIS-like (semi-allergic?) reaction. This is interesting, because I think our POIS symptoms are quite similar. But if I have a pint of regular beer (perhaps depending on brand? specific ingredients?), I don't feel worse than after the Clausthaler.  Often I'll feel fairly normal.

At first, I thought maybe this had something to do with "gluten", ... or yeast. 

But, in general, I don't seem to feel bad after eating bread.  (Again, I have felt strange in certain cases... but maybe it had to do more with preservatives, etc.?).  I'm really not sure.  I worry about sounding like a hypochondriac when I talk about this, but the reaction is definitely quite severe.... and when I noticed this, I certainly wasn't expecting any kind of reaction to the food/drink.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 21:05:40 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: 10/06/2009 18:38:26 »

So candida albicans exist, but doctors have misdiagnosed it so many times that it is not recognized by the medical community any more?

I know very little about Candida, so I consider your post directly above this one (thank you) to be part of the forum's pro-con information flow.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: 10/06/2009 18:45:25 »

That's not my interpretation of the article.   If there are no clinical signs of a yeast infection, there does not seem to be any logical reason to suspect one.  Also, the science behind many of the "yeast" theories is non-existent or questionable.  The idea that yeast has grown into some special area of our body, and is feeding on hormones specifically secreted at orgasm, and when the yeast is fed it immediately releases toxins(?), which affect us in this way, seems pretty far-fetched. And all this without even normal clinical signs of a yeast infection. It's not a first-principles theory, it's a set of massive assumptions.  It doesn't mean it's not true, but the science does not seem good.  Perhaps I'm especially wary of "yeast" explanations, even in cases where it is a good explanation, because I know that many people mistakenly blame problems on yeast, because of sketchy publicity.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 20:57:18 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: 10/06/2009 18:54:34 »
More on RELORA

I would recommend that anyone use caution with Relora, especially when on other medication.

Below is my (Demo's) re-post from last year, based on info from my pharmacology-attorney friend:

"Relora is a plant extract [from the herbs Phellodendron amurense and Magnolia officinalis].

Because the actual active ingredients are not discernible, there's no way to know what the interactions with other drugs might be. Therefore, I would recommend not taking it with Rx drugs,or with OTC drugs either.

This is what the manufacturer says: [Note the elevation in BP]

'side effects also include dizziness, trouble sleeping, and higher blood pressure.'  "

I (Demo) asked my endocrinologist if he saw any harm in my using Relora as an adjunct to my testosterone treatment:

"I think not. However, you may not know what is really in the herbal supplement since it is not regulated. Also remember, what may have an effect may also have a side effect."
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 21:04:09 by demografx »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: 10/06/2009 19:33:24 »
Hi demo,

Just wanted to pop in and say well done for doing a grand job !

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: 10/06/2009 20:09:14 »

Hi demo,

Just wanted to pop in and say well done for doing a grand job !

NEIL!

<bowing in deference> How nice to see you! And how very nice of you to say that!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 20:15:54 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: 10/06/2009 20:56:45 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: 10/06/2009 21:28:13 »
John, sorry if I missed it, but now that I have my endo's blessing to try it, when did you say you start/stop relora? Before? After? Always?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: 10/06/2009 21:33:06 »
Demo,
John, sorry if I missed it, but now that I have my endo's blessing to try it, when did you say you start/stop relora? Before? After? Always?

So far: directly after, continuing it for another day or two.
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 21:34:46 by John21 »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: 10/06/2009 21:55:35 »
CP,
Sorry, I was wrong, the "near beer" is actually 0.5%. My reaction to it is not POIS-like. When I drink a normal beer and have a night's sleep I always wake feeling unrested, and it has a certain kind of "feel". When I drink the near beer or take the a sip of wine I get the same effect to a lesser extent. I am confident that I am just very sensitive to alcohol. I have previously searched the web for what that says about my system, but I haven't found that it indicates anything. At one time I considered the Candida theory, but it does sound doubtful to me as well now.

Demo,
Speaking of Quackwatch, here is another ducky remedy: http://www.devicewatch.org/reports/aquadetox.shtml

I mention this because I heard a lady who called into a talk-radio call in show swearing that all her medical probems were cured by cleansing the toxins out of her body through her feet! Sounds like faith healing to me.  :)
« Last Edit: 10/06/2009 22:03:24 by John21 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: 11/06/2009 04:46:35 »
I don't drink alcohol, but if I have a "near beer" with 0.5% alcohol I can feel it.
Me too. I feel the usual effect of alcohol.

Also a 0.5 beer helps me with premature ejaculation and has a slight stimulating and relaxing effect at the same time. Which is caused by hops I think.

Martin, I agree! Also, my extreme jet lag seems related to POIS as well.
Perhaps a problem with an other endocrine gland (pineal). I don't know if it's controlled by the pituitary.

About the hyper reaction to gym:
I know someone who is diabetic and who MUST do exercise to lower his sugar. Eventually you'll have to find a solution for this. Maybe it's a nutritional deficiency aggravated by exercise (ex: cramps) or an effect of other medication I don't know... Maybe testosterone can control this effect now!

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: 11/06/2009 11:33:14 »
Finally,

My doctor believed in me. He was a little surprised and had a doubts when I showed to him Waldinger's report, but finally guided me to an endocrinologist.  :) :)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: 11/06/2009 14:16:25 »
Finally,

My doctor believed in me. He was a little surprised and had a doubts when I showed to him Waldinger's report, but finally guided me to an endocrinologist.  :) :)
Good news Pronobis! (Or he didn't believe and sent you there to reassure you. I already saw this before in my case)

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: 11/06/2009 16:01:07 »
I was reading last night and came upon the Candida possible connection....

I read some symptoms of Candida and man 75% of them were me!

So I looked around for more Candida info and came upon http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-test.html and also found this same simple test mentioned many times all over the net, and no one saying it was bogus....

This morning I tested, as it says to do this in the morning..... and voila.... very positive results.... the image they show on the webpage... is axactly what I saw this morning....

Now I am not saying YET that its related to POIS.... but I need to start trying to treat it.....

So here we go.....

Why doesn't everyone else try this test at home and report.... it would be another piece in the puzzle and it ridiculously simple to do!

PS.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: 11/06/2009 17:46:38 »
I was reading last night and came upon the Candida possible connection....

I read some symptoms of Candida and man 75% of them were me!

So I looked around for more Candida info and came upon http://www.candida-albicans-cure.com/candida-test.html and also found this same simple test mentioned many times all over the net, and no one saying it was bogus....

This morning I tested, as it says to do this in the morning..... and voila.... very positive results.... the image they show on the webpage... is axactly what I saw this morning....

Now I am not saying YET that its related to POIS.... but I need to start trying to treat it.....

So here we go.....

Why doesn't everyone else try this test at home and report.... it would be another piece in the puzzle and it ridiculously simple to do!

PS.

Yes, I tried the same test to with positive results.  Sadly there are no listed symptoms of candida related to "post orgasmic depression".  But hey you never know. 

Candida is normally present in the digestive tract of the body, but once it is uncontrolled and breaks out into the bloodstream, it causes numerous problems.  I'm not saying that candida is %100 the cause, but it could explain the reason "I" feel terrible after eating sugars, and the reason for pois.

But i still can't believe that if anyone has had candida bad in the past that they wouldn't list post orgasmic illness as one of the main symptoms. 

Maybe they just didn't want to believe it or really didn't know. That would make sense because even I didn't know this illness was related to sex until possibly as much as a year into it.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: 11/06/2009 17:51:41 »
Hey everyone,
It has been awhile since I last posted. I have been following the forum. I am glad to read that Relora is helping some people.  Just wanted to let everyone know that I have now been taking Relora three times a day since last October. The results have been life changing. I have not had any of the symptoms of POIS since October. I have orgasms everyday and most of the time more than once per day. Everything still seems great.

Thanks!!

This is my opinion, but I think relora is more like treating the symptoms, rather than treating the illness.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: 11/06/2009 19:03:51 »

This is my opinion, but I think relora is more like treating the symptoms, rather than treating the illness.

Yes mine too, I use ATIVAN and it make me 100% but it only a coverup... its not fixing anything!

PS

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: 11/06/2009 19:06:02 »
The candida spit test is not serious. Candidosis should be considered only if there are clear signs (white tongue, throat...).

Well if you look at the list of Candida symptoms, I am almost 100% on all of them..... so for me this is the angle I will take for the next while and see.... however I have no clear outward signs, but I have all the internal ones.....

PS

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: 11/06/2009 19:52:39 »

So what? POIS sufferers till now have NEVER had ANY form of relief! Perhaps my testosterone treatment is superficial, too, but it has changed my life!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4549 on: 11/06/2009 19:52:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums