The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6446575 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4550 on: 11/06/2009 20:05:56 »
I'm not saying that those are bad, I was on relora for about a month.  After quitting relora my symptoms returned.  Take them if you want, but they will not cure anything.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: 11/06/2009 20:11:10 »

Well if you look at the list of Candida symptoms...

I don't think I've met anyone in my LIFE who DOESN'T have a "Candida symptom" ;D

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: 11/06/2009 20:13:53 »
I'm not saying that those are bad, I was on relora for about a month.  After quitting relora my symptoms returned.  Take them if you want, but they will not cure anything.

Again, I think we should be very grateful that we have ANY POIS relief at all! When this forum started, we had absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 21:46:10 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: 11/06/2009 20:32:49 »
I don't drink alcohol, but if I have a "near beer" with 0.5% alcohol I can feel it.
Me too. I feel the usual effect of alcohol.

Also a 0.5 beer helps me with premature ejaculation and has a slight stimulating and relaxing effect at the same time. Which is caused by hops I think.

Martin, I agree! Also, my extreme jet lag seems related to POIS as well.
Perhaps a problem with an other endocrine gland (pineal). I don't know if it's controlled by the pituitary.

About the hyper reaction to gym:
I know someone who is diabetic and who MUST do exercise to lower his sugar. Eventually you'll have to find a solution for this. Maybe it's a nutritional deficiency aggravated by exercise (ex: cramps) or an effect of other medication I don't know... Maybe testosterone can control this effect now!

Martin, I'm still hoping that major sloth will cure me :)

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: 11/06/2009 20:35:48 »
I don't think I've met anyone in my LIFE who DOESN'T have a "Candida symptom" ;D

Yes one symptom, but when you almost got the list! thats another thing.... there are all sorts of disconnected symptoms that seem connected to Candida, I have always had achy joints.... this alone everyone gets, mine started at 30. But now through in always slightly dizzy, off balance, mental fog, hard to find words, small persistant headaches, itchy anus, anxiety, a heavy use of antibiotics in my earlier life, different bowel issues, GERD, bad heart burn, itchy skin, allergies to smells like perfume.... its all painting a picture....

Now I do not say, YET, that it is Candida, I will see DR, see what he says..... get tests if any and go from there....

PS.

Offline Pantaloon

• View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: 11/06/2009 20:42:05 »
Hi All

There seems to be quite a lot of good news on Relora recently, which is great - it's heartening to hear these reports. However, I thought I'd mention a possible down side which I've experienced.

Before I do though, I should just say that I'd still recommend anybody try Relora for POIS, or even generalised anxiety. As, aside from the side effect I had, it initially definitely helped my POIS and gave me a feeling of energised tranquillity which I really appreciated.

I took Relora consistently (3 per day) for about 4  months or so. I then began to notice itching on my torso mainly in the evenings and in the morning. I experimented a bit and discovered it was caused by the Relora. This kind of makes sense as Relora lowers cortisol and cortisol provides "anti-inflammatory effects by reducing histamine secretion and stabilizing lysosomal membranes" (Wikipedia).

I had thought that my POIS may have been caused by raised cortisol levels, but I now think that perhaps the benefit I got from Relora was due to lowering my normal or possibly low cortisol levels, allowing my adrenals to produce something else that was beneficial.

Any thoughts?

All the Best

Pantaloon

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: 11/06/2009 21:22:06 »

Now I do not say, YET, that it is Candida, I will see DR, see what he says..... get tests if any and go from there....

Sounds very reasonable! I'm just concerned with premature conclusions some people and questionable practitioners arrive at...best wishes! Please let us know your progress!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: 11/06/2009 21:29:23 »
Pantaloon, thanks for that great post!

We're learning a lot about POIS, I think, from all these relora experiences.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: 11/06/2009 21:36:09 »

Finally,

My doctor believed in me. He was a little surprised and had a doubts when I showed to him Waldinger's report, but finally guided me to an endocrinologist.  :) :)

Pronobis, wonderful to hear! Congratulations!

I think we are learning very valuable lessons at this forum: not only about how to deal with POIS, but also how to deal with the medical community. Not easy!!
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 23:24:23 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: 11/06/2009 21:58:33 »

I  didn't know this illness was related to sex until possibly as much as a year into it.

You did better than me, it took me a few years. Very common that it takes time to "discover" the link between POIS and sex, especially for those sufferers with delayed reactions.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 22:33:26 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: 11/06/2009 22:05:22 »

Yes one symptom, but when you almost got the list! thats another thing.... there are all sorts of disconnected symptoms that seem connected to Candida, I have always had achy joints.... this alone everyone gets, mine started at 30. But now through in always slightly dizzy, off balance, mental fog, hard to find words, small persistant headaches, itchy anus, anxiety, a heavy use of antibiotics in my earlier life, different bowel issues, GERD, bad heart burn, itchy skin, allergies to smells like perfume.... its all painting a picture....

PS.

POIS-SUFFERER, eat a few pieces of white bread and tell me if you feel a bit drunk... or teary eyes afterwards... give it about 30-60 minutes.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: 11/06/2009 23:15:05 »

the "near beer" is actually 0.5%. My reaction to it is not POIS-like. When I drink a normal beer and have a night's sleep I always wake feeling unrested, and it has a certain kind of "feel". When I drink the near beer or take the a sip of wine I get the same effect to a lesser extent. I am confident that I am just very sensitive to alcohol. I have previously searched the web for what that says about my system, but I haven't found that it indicates anything.

I don't drink, but in the past, I would have excessive reactions to drink, almost POIS-like! Symptoms would last 3-4 days, instead of the typical 1-day mild hangover that I think is more the norm.

Like you, I have a sensitivity that I believe is genetic (my father had it).

Speaking of Quackwatch, here is another ducky remedy: http://www.devicewatch.org/reports/aquadetox.shtml

I mention this because I heard a lady who called into a talk-radio call in show swearing that all her medical probems were cured by cleansing the toxins out of her body through her feet! Sounds like faith healing to me.  :)

It would be hilarious if so many people didn't go seriously off the deep-end with "remedies".

I think the "device watch" link you posted is related to the "quack watch" I posted. They have the same look and feel. I'm glad someone is watching!

"ducky remedy", very good, John!  ;D
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 23:34:42 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: 11/06/2009 23:27:13 »

The candida spit test is not serious. Candidosis should be considered only if there are clear signs (white tongue, throat...).

B_Jim, very well said!

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: 11/06/2009 23:30:23 »
Hello all,

I'm currently trying to write a document, or "compendium" if you will, that introduces what POIS is, discuses the theories we've came up with, the treatments and methods that have worked (and why we think they worked), and the treatments and methods that haven't worked.  It would be periodically updated and be a document that accommodates the forum.  My hope is it will make it easier for newcomers to catch-up on what we've discussed before in order to reduce some redundancy in discussion.  I figure it would also help ease the transition of newcomers into the forum as well because they won't need to rummage through hundreds of forum pages to get caught up.  Also, I'm hoping it will provide everyone with a snap shot of our progress as the forum grows.  Plus, if we someday finally get a professional researcher on the forum, it would be a nice way to present ourselves and avoid him/her from needing to read hundreds of forum pages, which they probably won't have time for.  

Right now there is an introduction and description of POIS section.  But I'm stuck on the theory section in the sense that I need some raw data or evidence to back up the theories we've come up with.  The main one I'm having trouble with is Adrenal Fatigue due to the potential overproduction of cortisol after orgasm - my own blood tests don't show abnormally high cortisol levels, so I'm wondering if anyone else here have had results showing high cortisol, otherwise this theory breaks down and explaining why Relora works for some people here (it supposedly lowers cortisol) would be even harder.  Any data from anyone would help tremendously.

Other theories I remember discussing were high prolactin (due to abnormal function of the pituitary), low testosterone (hypogonadism due to pituitary malfunction or malfunction of the testes), and hypo/hyper thyroidism.  Can anyone think of anymore theories that should also be mentioned?  Or should some of these theories not be mentioned?  How does this whole idea sound to you guys?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: 11/06/2009 23:46:34 »

How does this whole idea sound to you guys?

Excellent idea. Assuming there's no overlap (at least I don't see it), this could complement B_Jim's and Counterpoints' and Martin's work nicely.

I'm concerned about "adrenal fatigue" only because it has a mixed reputation amongst serious researchers. Maybe give it a new name?

How about including Waldinger's theory? A fenugreek-based theory? Garlic-based?
« Last Edit: 11/06/2009 23:52:51 by demografx »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: 12/06/2009 00:34:42 »
POIS-SUFFERER, eat a few pieces of white bread and tell me if you feel a bit drunk... or teary eyes afterwards... give it about 30-60 minutes.

I always feel a little light headed, not sure if I would say drunk, but I can stumble around a bit!

As for the bread, I would not think it will make me feel any different then the current light headedness...

Is this a factor, I have not come across this.

PS

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: 12/06/2009 01:10:40 »
How does this whole idea sound to you guys?
Thanks Pyropeach, definitely this will be great! I had high cortisol 10 days after an orgasm. For me the recovery is gradual, I'm better at day 10 but not fully cured. Unfortunately one test is not enough to make a conclusion. We can only report and organize "events" and in 100 years it will be more clear !

About adrenal fatigue (I don't know if it's a real concept) I have 95% of the symptoms mentionned here :
http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C17649.html

Someone was cured with DHEA ..

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: 12/06/2009 01:28:54 »
pyropeach

I'd say the pituitary abnormalities in those with pituitary MRI, and the adrenal theory are worth mentioning....

I think it's questionable how much Relora decreases cortisol. 

Also, even though my cortisol has been high (as has rock's), I don't think cortisol in isolation is the whole problem... it could just be an indicator of a pituitary or adrenal issue.  Also hypercortisolism can be cyclical.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2009 04:54:39 by Counterpoints »

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: 12/06/2009 02:46:34 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I'll def put in pituitary abnormalities and the adrenal theory.  Although it seems these theories are connected...so maybe all there is needed is just one theory that combines everything.  I hope to hear more feedback so I can take as many people's thoughts and suggestions as possible into consideration.

I'll def try to add in the garlic and fenugreek into the section of things that worked.  Now that I'm finally done with college WOOOHOO!!  I'll have more time to work on it.  :) 

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: 12/06/2009 03:37:10 »

I always feel a little light headed, not sure if I would say drunk, but I can stumble around a bit!

As for the bread, I would not think it will make me feel any different then the current light headedness...

Is this a factor, I have not come across this.

PS

So maybe for you its like smoking marijuana when you are already high.  I used to always feel lightheaded also.  I just remember this one night a couple years ago when it seemed like my brain chemistry had changed.  Hence POIS has come about.  Maybe that could be candida entering my brain?  :-X  haha.  But has anybody else remembered a night )or a day)  when they just "lost" it, when they felt like someone other than themself?  Brain fog and all of these other symptoms arrival?

Yes it is a factor, any carbs you consume may feed the candida  [xx(](if it really is candida), and I know what you mean by lightheadedness.  For me it was like living life in a dream.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2009 03:49:57 by goingcrazy »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: 12/06/2009 04:57:50 »
POIS-SUFFERER has mentioned ativan a few times...

I'd like to say that I've experimented with ativan a reasonable amount, and it has a negligible positive effect on my POIS. Even when I am feeling really distressed, ativan does not help very much.  In fact, it seems to work better when I don't have POIS symptoms.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: 12/06/2009 04:58:19 »
Congrats pyropeach! 
« Last Edit: 12/06/2009 17:31:09 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: 12/06/2009 06:53:46 »
Pyro, congrats! What a relief.

We'll give you a Master's minimum for your compendium.  :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: 12/06/2009 07:09:02 »
Pyro, DHEA was mentioned by Martin. We've had a fair amount of discussion about that. Worth looking into?

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: 12/06/2009 10:04:21 »
Pyro, DHEA was mentioned by Martin. We've had a fair amount of discussion about that. Worth looking into?

Definitely worth looking into, in fact I tried DHEA for a time in the past and it seemed to help a little.

Pyro, congrats! What a relief.

We'll give you a Master's minimum for your compendium.  :)

Congrats pyropeach! 

Pyropeach : congratulations. I still defend high cortisol/adrenaline "all the time" and low Dhea+steroids/dopamine just after orgasm theory.
And then reduce the high levels all the time help to reduce the low levels just after orgasm.

Thanks guys for the congrats guys!
« Last Edit: 12/06/2009 10:06:00 by pyropeach »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4574 on: 12/06/2009 10:04:21 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums