The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6455697 times)

Offline POIS Noise

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4575 on: 12/06/2009 10:15:00 »
I'm very curios as to how many people tried relora.
tried looking for it here in Israel, couldn't find any tough.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: 12/06/2009 18:15:02 »
POIS-SUFFERER has mentioned ativan a few times...

I'd like to say that I've experimented with ativan a reasonable amount, and it has a negligible positive effect on my POIS. Even when I am feeling really distressed, ativan does not help very much.  In fact, it seems to work better when I don't have POIS symptoms.

Counterpoints, as with your Ativan experience, I have never gotten any POIS relief with alcohol or any similar mood-altering chemical.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: 12/06/2009 20:09:04 »
I'm very curious as to how many people tried relora.
tried looking for it here in Israel, couldn't find any though.

Wow, POIS Noise, Israeli regulations are complex! I spent the last two hours researching this, starting by talking to my local health food store proprietor. "Codex" is an international cooperative venture that tries to discourage supplements outside the US.

I spoke with www.vitaminshoppe.com and they will ship relora to you, BUT you must first fax them a note from your Doctor that says it's ok for you to take it! (You can thank codex for that).

Fax doctor's note to them at 800 852 7153.

First, go to their website and pick the relora brand you want. Check previous forum posts here to see which brand others have tried. To make it easier, put this into Google:   
Relora site:http://thenakedscientists.com
Careful to have a space between relora and site, no spaces elsewhere.

VitaminShoppe customer service line is  866 293 3367. Order by phone or website. I picked them because they're fairly well known, 20 yrs in business, 300 retail stores.

For a list of other places to buy Relora (the _brand_ Relora, but they probably carry other brands as well, just like VitaminShoppe):
http://www.relora.com/wheretobuy.html

Be prepared for high shipping costs.

Good luck, PN! Sorry it's so difficult.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2009 20:29:05 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: 13/06/2009 07:27:45 »
Counterpoints, as with your Ativan experience, I have never gotten any POIS relief with alcohol or any similar mood-altering chemical.

Sorry, I just had to :P

(PS: This is in no way an endorsement of Ativan!)

Offline POIS Noise

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: 13/06/2009 07:53:28 »
thanx demografx!

in the us, do you need a doctor to get relora?

maybe it's easier to ask somone who's coming back to israel.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: 13/06/2009 14:55:45 »
POIS-SUFFERER has mentioned ativan a few times...
I'd like to say that I've experimented with ativan a reasonable amount, and it has a negligible positive effect on my POIS. Even when I am feeling really distressed, ativan does not help very much.  In fact, it seems to work better when I don't have POIS symptoms.
I took ativan (in pois) for 3 days when I was around 21, I can remember I felt no benefits at all from it. I was feeling more empty than usual and had more difficulty to fall asleep at night. It would probably be more effective if taken when I'm sexually abstinent.(Usually I feel a lot less the effect of any substance when I'm in pois.)

Martin : I agree. Even if "adrenal fatigue" doesn't exist as real and prolonged disease, I believe a short "adrenal latency" is possible causing symptoms.
It's possible. I don't know if this fits with my long period of recovery from pois. After sexual excesses I don't even recover from pois between two orgasms, even with 2-3 weeks abstinence. I have an orgasm only because I'm upset with pois and only for a brief pleasure  :(
Maybe adrenal fatigue is real and extended over time, maybe no... What is attractive is that I'm recognizing myself very well in the list of symptoms.
An other link about this ....
http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp
« Last Edit: 13/06/2009 14:59:42 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: 13/06/2009 20:15:14 »

Sorry, I just had to :P

(PS: This is in no way an endorsement of Ativan!)

Don't apologize, Counterpoints, that was hilarious!! ;D
« Last Edit: 14/06/2009 03:49:57 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: 13/06/2009 20:24:13 »
Well, I jumped on thebandwagon, yesterday. This pic is the actual brand my health food store proprietor carries. Will keep you posted!

Hope you all don't think I'm too greedy, what with my testosterone success. But, hey, 30+ years of agony, plus a partially-wasted life, I deserve it....so why not?
« Last Edit: 13/06/2009 20:35:12 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: 13/06/2009 20:27:25 »

thanx demografx!

in the us, do you need a doctor to get relora?

maybe it's easier to ask somone who's coming back to israel.

Nothing required here except the $19.99 plus tax I paid yesterday! :)
« Last Edit: 14/06/2009 04:18:19 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: 13/06/2009 23:15:47 »
Well, I jumped on thebandwagon, yesterday. This pic is the actual brand my health food store proprietor carries. Will keep you posted!

Hope you all don't think I'm too greedy, what with my testosterone success. But, hey, 30+ years of agony, plus a partially-wasted life, I deserve it....so why not?

My first reaction to it was as that of an aphrodisiac! (You should know that I also get an aphrodisiac effect from Aleve). I chose to ignore that effect, thankfully!

At the beginning of Day Zero, I took a total of 500mg (250mg twice within a couple hours), a higher dose than recommended within that time period, which I risked based on the previous day's ingestion and observation, but I certainly don't recommend to anyone else.

Relora seemed to augment the work of my testosterone treatment, by hastening the onset of clarity on Day Zero. Pleasantly mild anti-anxiety effect.

I will monitor this for placebo effect and report ongoing observation. I will only try it immediately afterwards, not ongoing.

In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned that I first checked this out with my physician, which I recommend to everyone.
« Last Edit: 14/06/2009 03:51:21 by demografx »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: 14/06/2009 12:12:44 »
Demo,

My first reaction to it was as that of an aphrodisiac! (You should know that I also get an aphrodisiac effect from Aleve). I chose to ignore that effect, thankfully!

It had that effect on me as well, I was thinking it would make for a nice romantic evening for a couple.

I'm on day zero this morning, I'm going to fly without a parachute, no Relora, no garlic. I would like to know what exactly is helping me. Perhaps if I get symptoms popping some Relora will stop it in it's tracks. Wish me well.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: 14/06/2009 21:55:20 »
Relating to the candida theory: "the adrenaline released by orgasm allegedly helps break down glucose and prevents it from being stored as fat"

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: 14/06/2009 22:56:44 »
GC, I don't understand your point.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: 14/06/2009 22:58:50 »
Demo,

It had that effect on me as well, I was thinking it would make for a nice romantic evening for a couple.

I'm on day zero this morning, I'm going to fly without a parachute, no Relora, no garlic. I would like to know what exactly is helping me. Perhaps if I get symptoms popping some Relora will stop it in it's tracks. Wish me well.

Good luck, John! I imagine garlic would have an immediate effect as well. Who knows if and when they work? Can't hurt.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: 14/06/2009 23:02:38 »
Relating to the candida theory: "the adrenaline released by orgasm allegedly helps break down glucose and prevents it from being stored as fat"

Yeast (candida) thrives on glucose, thus releasing toxins as orgasm occurs.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: 14/06/2009 23:06:27 »
Anyways I will be going on a non orgasm, limited carbs and sugar diet with probiotic intake until the end of July, I will notify the forum of the outcome.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: 15/06/2009 05:10:03 »
going crazy

I think am going to try your route while i wait on the waiting list for endo, and relora,fenugreek and alpha20c have kinda failed for me.  But I will try my best to be orgasmic free i dont think sleep will allow it.

i was wondering what probiotics are you going for to balance digestive system and also are you trying grapefruit extract.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: 15/06/2009 05:12:25 »
Also i saw on a website that low immune system is one of the causes of growth of candida, and irealized in my last general blood test my white blood cell count was low. right at the bottom  of accepted value.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: 15/06/2009 17:18:16 »
I should point out again that the science is really bad on this Candida explanation.  Seemingly, for the most part, "Candida" diagnosis is a scam, and the information available on the internet is unreliable.  Go to a physician (MD) and ask if you have a yeast infection.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Candidiasis-Hypersensitivity-(Systemic-Candida)-Is-It-Really-a-Fraud&id=446093

Discusses the issue, in response to Candida diagnosis being put on quackwatch's top 10 fraud list.  It says the suggested diet (Nathan Pritikin) for the most part is probably good for you anyways, so I think in that case it may be worth trying.  But there are also some things to look out for.
« Last Edit: 15/06/2009 17:32:54 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: 15/06/2009 17:21:38 »
relora,fenugreek have kinda failed for me.

Me too, although I haven't tested fenugreek long enough.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: 15/06/2009 17:58:04 »
I should point out again that the science is really bad on this Candida explanation.  Seemingly, for the most part, "Candida" diagnosis is a scam, and the information available on the internet is unreliable.  Go to a physician (MD) and ask if you have a yeast infection.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Candidiasis-Hypersensitivity-(Systemic-Candida)-Is-It-Really-a-Fraud&id=446093

Discusses the issue, in response to Candida diagnosis being put on quackwatch's top 10 fraud list.  It says the suggested diet (Nathan Pritikin) for the most part is probably good for you anyways, so I think in that case it may be worth trying.  But there are also some things to look out for.

I don't think candida diagnosis is a scam, I think many people just blame other unrelated problems on it.  Because there are so many symtoms of candida.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: 15/06/2009 18:09:12 »
By the way, my POIS is now down to I would say less than a day to feel totally better compared to the 1 1/2 weeks it had took me before trying anything on this forum.
going crazy

I think am going to try your route while i wait on the waiting list for endo, and relora,fenugreek and alpha20c have kinda failed for me.  But I will try my best to be orgasmic free i dont think sleep will allow it.

i was wondering what probiotics are you going for to balance digestive system and also are you trying grapefruit extract.

As long as you don't cause an "O" by yourself, I believe NE's won't really affect it.  Currently I am taking PB8 probiotic acidophilus.  I was taking it about 3 times a day for the first week, now only once or twice...
I would encourage you to take anything "anti-candida", but don't overload your system too much with the wrong stuff.  Right now I am only taking garlic, smaller amounts every day...

I believe I might have experienced a small "die off" for two days, I have no anxiety at all now just a bit of brain fog.

Another thing relating to the candida theory, I remember having blood taken out of me when I gave blood and I actually felt POIS free for a few hours when I was in POIS, therefore it possibly is something in the blood.

After July 31, if I am not "cured" I'm going to the doctor and getting a blood test for candida, because it can take a while to cure it.

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: 15/06/2009 20:11:29 »
Hi everybody,

I didn't make a sex since 2 weeks, but I have POIS symptomes after 2 sleepless nights. This time I don't have flu-like symptomes, but skin problems and backache, I am pale etc.

Do you have same thing?

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: 15/06/2009 20:14:09 »
Demo,

Hve you got a response from WHO?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: 15/06/2009 21:38:23 »
Update: Second day away from orgasm
I hate to report this (sort of) but I have experienced no symptoms this time, without taking anything. I am mystified. As I said I don't put faith in the Candida theory but to be precise for the record I have been eating yogurt + berries daily for about six months now. I always have included frozen blueberries and for the last couple of months I have been adding chopped frozen cranberries. I am not saying any of this is related to my lack of symptoms, I am just reporting it.

Other than diet the only other change I can think of this time is more sleep. I usually keep a regular sleep schedule, but the last few days I have allowed myself to sleep longer, to get about average 9 hrs (broken by waking once each night). Could the extra sleep be "tranquilizing" my brain? Or did Relora not actually stop my POIS symptoms after all, has something else been "working" recently? 

??? :-\ ???

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4599 on: 15/06/2009 21:38:23 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length