The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6459484 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4600 on: 15/06/2009 22:11:41 »
Update: Second day away from orgasm
I hate to report this (sort of) but I have experienced no symptoms this time, without taking anything. I am mystified. As I said I don't put faith in the Candida theory but to be precise for the record I have been eating yogurt + berries daily for about six months now. I always have included frozen blueberries and for the last couple of months I have been adding chopped frozen cranberries. I am not saying any of this is related to my lack of symptoms, I am just reporting it.

Other than diet the only other change I can think of this time is more sleep. I usually keep a regular sleep schedule, but the last few days I have allowed myself to sleep longer, to get about average 9 hrs (broken by waking once each night). Could the extra sleep be "tranquilizing" my brain? Or did Relora not actually stop my POIS symptoms after all, has something else been "working" recently? 

??? :-\ ???

I would have to say sleep has little to do with POIS.  I was in college all of this last year and I would have to say that I slept 12+ hours a day, thinking that it would cure it.  But now I only get 8 and I actually feel better.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: 15/06/2009 22:26:53 »
I hate to report this (sort of) but I have experienced no symptoms this time, without taking anything. I am mystified. As I said I don't put faith in the Candida theory but to be precise for the record I have been eating yogurt + berries daily for about six months now. I always have included frozen blueberries and for the last couple of months I have been adding chopped frozen cranberries. I am not saying any of this is related to my lack of symptoms, I am just reporting it.

Other than diet the only other change I can think of this time is more sleep. I usually keep a regular sleep schedule, but the last few days I have allowed myself to sleep longer, to get about average 9 hrs (broken by waking once each night). Could the extra sleep be "tranquilizing" my brain? Or did Relora not actually stop my POIS symptoms after all, has something else been "working" recently? 

I would have to say sleep has little to do with POIS.  I was in college all of this last year and I would have to say that I slept 12+ hours a day, thinking that it would cure it.  But now I only get 8 and I actually feel better.

Oversleeping is rarely thought to be healthy. 

I find getting almost no sleep can exacerbate POIS.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: 16/06/2009 00:37:37 »
CP,

What is oversleeping? I would think that it isn't too much if you feel good afterward. If you feel bad it is too much. I used to find that I did not feel great if I slept longer, but just the last few days I have experimented and found the extra time refreshing. My night's sleep is always interrupted by typically one waking, after which I eventually fall back asleep (sleep maintenance insomnia). So, for me I think it might be a good thing, it might make up for my loss. But I do hate wasting extra time sleeping. :o)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: 16/06/2009 01:01:51 »

Speak for yourself, please don't generalize. The most powerful relief I get, including my successful remedies tested over many years, and 2nd to testosterone, is from naps and sleep.
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 02:38:06 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: 16/06/2009 01:03:52 »
CP,

What is oversleeping? I would think that it isn't too much if you feel good afterward. If you feel bad it is too much. I used to find that I did not feel great if I slept longer, but just the last few days I have experimented and found the extra time refreshing. My night's sleep is always interrupted by typically one waking, after which I eventually fall back asleep (sleep maintenance insomnia). So, for me I think it might be a good thing, it might make up for my loss. But I do hate wasting extra time sleeping. :o)

I agree. I quit the guilt thing about "oversleeping". Tonight, if my body and mind need 15 hours, it needs 15 hours. Period.
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 01:07:41 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: 16/06/2009 01:06:38 »
Demo,

Have you got a response from WHO?

Pronobis, not yet. Martin suggested a follow up. Any ideas what we can say (everyone's thoughts welcome!)? It should be extremely brief, with a copy of the previous correspondence enclosed.
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 02:35:54 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: 16/06/2009 01:37:35 »

I should point out again that the science is really bad on this Candida explanation.  Seemingly, for the most part, "Candida" diagnosis is a scam, and the information available on the internet is unreliable.  Go to a physician (MD) [emphasis mine - demo]

I would add: Go to a reputable one ;D

[continued from CP quote above]
and ask if you have a yeast infection.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Candidiasis-Hypersensitivity-(Systemic-Candida)-Is-It-Really-a-Fraud&id=446093

Discusses the issue, in response to Candida diagnosis being put on quackwatch's top 10 fraud list.  It says the suggested diet (Nathan Pritikin) for the most part is probably good for you anyways, so I think in that case it may be worth trying.  But there are also some things to look out for.

I think we agree: it's legitimate for a small minority of cases when true infection and obvious symptoms occur. But for a great deal of cases, it is highly suspect.

Kidding aside, if you seriously think you have an infection, by all means have it checked!
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 02:12:34 by demografx »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: 16/06/2009 02:13:13 »
Just found this and had never read this before..... anyone else miss this....

I found it at http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/mens-health-forum/post-orgasmic-illness-syndrome-134261293.html

They did not say this is the answer.... they just found it interesting....

QUOTE:

This is called orgasmic stress (OS) induced by excessive conversion of dopamine-norepinephrine-epinephrine in the brain and adrenal glands under the sympathetic nervous function for you to achieve orgasm.
Action of Norepinephrine and Epinephrine on the sympathetic alpha receptor causes constriction of blood vessels upon orgasm. Excessive norepinephrine and epinephrine (excessive stress and anxiety) will eliminate the relaxation hormone prostaglandin E-1, resulting in tension in the rear brain, neck and shoulders where the norepinephrine and epinephrine neurons are very dense. Neck and shoulders have the densest neuro-hormone epinephrine and norepinephrine receptors in the body, followed by the urogenital areas (uterus, ovaries, vagina, clitoris, penis, testicles, and prostate), digestive tract and head skin. That is why stress, anxiety and panic can cause neck and shoulder pains and face cramp, urinary incontinence, infertility, prostate/uterine/ovarian tumors/cancers, prostate enlargement, erectile dysfunction (impotence and frigidity), digestive dysfunction, stomach cramps, and even hair loss(yes! Stress causes hair loss!). Excessive orgasm can produce Orgasmic Stress, resulting in these problems too. If you have a good blood circulation, excessive neurohormones Norepinephrine and Epinephrine can be dispersed out of the local tissues, then metabolized by the liver and expelled by the kidneys to the bladder. The un-metabolized neurohormones can also stimulate the bladder and urethral sympathetic nerves.
A low level of DHEA and androstenedione / estrogen will also cause excessive sympathetic nervous functions. Nausea is due to excessive epinephrine (sympathetic nervous functions) in the digestive systems - digestive stress.
Your body's responses to orgasmic stress out are the same as your work stress out. The difference is that the orgasmic stress occurs instantaneously upon orgasm and during sexual tension (extreme arousal), but both orgasmic and work stresses can last very long. To solve the orgasmic headache and nausea Orgasmic Stress), you have to
1. reduce the dopamine-norepinephrine-epinephrine conversion in the brain and adrenal medulla, and the epinephrine level in the bloodstream (who can do those? 5-HTP and Kava Kava!);
2. partially block the sympathetic alpha receptors;
3. increase the DHEA/androstenedione (for balancing testosterone and estrogen!) levels;
4. increase the acetylcholine and serotonin levels to modulate the sympathetic function for orgasm - de-stress the body for orgasm;
5. partially inhibit the acetylcholine re-uptaking in the synapses and power the parasympathetic nervous functions to balance the sympathetic functions that induce stress against the cardiovascular, digestive, liver, kidney and adrenal functions;
6. increase the prostaglandin E-1 (PGE-1) production in the local tissues by increasing the DHEA, acetylcholine (and its neurochemicals), and androstenedione levels;
7. Improve the local blood circulation by massage to quickly remove epinephrine and norepinephrine from the local tissues and to quickly replenish the local tissues with the nutrients, oxygen, DHEA/androstenedione and neurochemicals for the synthesis of PGE-1. Heating the local tissues can also promote the PGE-1 production to release the pulling or constriction pain. Massaging and heating on the neck and shoulders can extensively affect the PGE-1 concentration in the brain stem.
Note that Massaging and Heating the low abdomen, low back and tail bone can do the same effects on the PGE-1 production for release of the PMS or orgasmic/post-orgasmic pains or cramps in the low abdomen, low back/tailbone, and pelvic floor

PS

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: 16/06/2009 02:42:05 »

Hi everybody,

I didn't make a sex since 2 weeks, but I have POIS symptomes after 2 sleepless nights. This time I don't have flu-like symptomes, but skin problems and backache, I am pale etc.

Do you have same thing?

Pronobis, I have gotten POIS-like symptoms in the past from drinking alcohol and also from jet lag. Similar symptoms but different.

I think that POIS tells us that our bodies can be expected to behave strangely in other ways besides sex. Just my hunch.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: 16/06/2009 02:53:20 »

Just found this and had never read this before..... anyone else miss this....

I found it at http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/mens-health-forum/post-orgasmic-illness-syndrome-134261293.html

Yes, saw it long ago. Highly questionable/speculative. Numerous assumptions and...based on what? Not a study of POIS sufferers. Google his orgasmic stress (OS) and nothing comes up...except this post. There is a "doctor" (not an M.D.) who has written on that site and many others, and has an encyclopedia of his own speculative assumptions that he throws around. Sounds like his work. He tried to sell us here at the forum through one of his "patients".

In your Item 1 above , who wrote "(who can do those? 5-HTP and Kava Kava!)" ?
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 03:04:21 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: 16/06/2009 03:18:58 »
Two books are available for "combatting Candida":

1. The Bible Cure for Candida and Yeast Infections

2. The Bible Cure Recipes For Overcoming Candida

Apparently, faith healers have also latched on to a promising and lucrative "malady".

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: 16/06/2009 05:15:46 »
I know candida sounds fishy and i also think that those symptoms are definately to much for one thing to be causing.
The diet  required to expell candida, is actually not a bad diet if you dont cut carbohydrate down to seriously.
I will try and see and keep trying to get my self in an endocrinologist office.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: 16/06/2009 05:20:02 »
When i sleep for little hours out of pois something kicks in and keeps me hyper for couple hours then  i need to sleep. I dont experience full pois but i notice pois memory problems.

Am trying to test a theroy out on recovery.
I have notice sometimes my recovery are not full and i still feel sucky after a week and a half.
I have also noticed some recovery are fantastic.

I believe sleep might be the difference. 

I sleep till my body wakes up and that is usually between 8-9 hours normally. when tired definatley longer.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: 16/06/2009 06:03:16 »
CP,

I agree. I quit the guilt thing about "oversleeping". Tonight, if my body and mind need 15 hours, it needs 15 hours. Period.

I notice when I go to bed at night my brain fog is at a minimum, but when I wake up in the morning my brain fog is the worst.  It only gets better if I get up and do something, if I stay in bed my brain fog does not go away, thats why I wake up when my brain wakes up in the morning and do not sleep in.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: 16/06/2009 06:25:18 »
I know candida sounds fishy and i also think that those symptoms are definately to much for one thing to be causing.
The diet  required to expell candida, is actually not a bad diet if you dont cut carbohydrate down to seriously.
I will try and see and keep trying to get my self in an endocrinologist office.

CC, sounds good!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: 16/06/2009 16:25:53 »

As long as you don't cause an "O" by yourself, I believe NE's won't really affect it.

"Harmless" NE's have been some of my most disastrous POIS episodes! NE-POIS is very common amongst us. I've heard only very few cases of POIS-free NE's.

I don't think candida diagnosis is a scam

GC, a scam is what some of us believe about the majority of cases.

You might not be in that majority. Can we just talk about you? What specific test proved that you have an infection, and what kind of infection was found? What kind of medical professional? (M.D., naturopath, etc.) How did you first learn about Candida?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 21:28:51 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: 16/06/2009 16:34:09 »

B_Jim, that was a good distinction you made: Good Sleep.

In just 10 minutes of a deep-sleep-restful-nap, my system can make tremendous recovery, moreso than even 8 hours of light sleep at night.

zzzzzzzzzzzz.............................
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 21:28:04 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: 16/06/2009 18:53:36 »
CP,

I think "over-sleeping" really depends on the person, and what they get used to.  Sometimes 14 hours of sleep will be good for you, other times 30 minutes is more reasonable.  For an everyday amount, 9 hours may be the best thing for you!  (The general recommended amount is 7-8 hrs/day).

This is an article about the dangers of over-sleeping:
http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/unhealthy-downsides-of-oversleeping/686286

I don't think it applies to you.  Also, getting the same amount of sleep every night is healthy.
« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 21:32:37 by Counterpoints »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: 16/06/2009 20:09:19 »

As long as you don't cause an "O" by yourself, I believe NE's won't really affect it.

"Harmless" NE's have been some of my most disastrous POIS episodes! NE-POIS is very common amongst us. I've heard only very few cases of POIS - free NE's.

I don't think candida diagnosis is a scam

GC, a scam is what some of us believe about the majority of cases.

You might not be in that majority. Can we just talk about you? What specific test proved that you have an infection, and what kind of infection was found? What kind of medical professional? (M.D., naturopath, etc.) How did you first learn about Candida?

Thank you.

Just surfing the internet made me believe I have candida because I have all of the symptoms.  Than I took some acidophilus and my blurry vision fully went away.  Just that made me believe it was candida.  I'm still not applying that POIS is candida, its worth a try to go on this diet and take supplements just to make sure.

I did the internet "spit" test and it came out positive, but I'm pretty sure most people would have a positive outcome, http://www.adhdrelief.com/CandidaTest.html .  haha adhd?

Still, it's at least worth a try.  :-\

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: 16/06/2009 21:04:54 »

Counterpoints, that was a very interesting article on oversleeping, I bookmarked it. Not sure I agree with it all, but it has some very good points. To me, depression and backache ring a bell.

My psychiatrist-friend (he was my therapist, now retired) said that my depression (a few years back) lifted when I slept poorly because sleep-deprivation - to a point - can be an excellent antidepressant.

« Last Edit: 16/06/2009 21:26:06 by demografx »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4620 on: 16/06/2009 21:52:29 »
Demo,
My psychiatrist-friend (he was my therapist, now retired) said that my depression (a few years back) lifted when I slept poorly because sleep-deprivation - to a point - can be an excellent antidepressant.

I wonder then if some types of insomnia are the body's natural defence against depression. I have noticed that I am often quicker of thought with less sleep, and likewise too much sleep results in lethargic thought.

Concerning the Downsides of Oversleeping link above, I would think that it isn't oversleeping per se that causes problems, but rather that people who have certain medical conditions tend to sleep more as they naturally need more rest.
« Last Edit: 17/06/2009 10:21:14 by John21 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: 16/06/2009 23:11:59 »

John, I couldn't agree with you more. On every single point you just made.
« Last Edit: 17/06/2009 08:26:33 by demografx »

Offline Langjahr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: 17/06/2009 00:27:28 »
It's taken me 3 years just to come up with a name for what I have. I've typed in Yahoo and Google, "fatigue after sex", "headache after sex", "joint pain after sex" to no avail until today. There's a name for what I got!

I had sex last night and here are my symptoms. I have:
-Fatigue  (1-5 days)
-Sinus and facial pressure (1-3 days)
-sneezing attack (usually happens 24hrs after sex)
-joint pain (1-3 days)
- my legs and feet are hot (1-2 days
-lightheaded (3-7 days)
-brain fog (had to rewrite this 3 times) (3-7 days)
- with in 24 to 48 hrs I get a migraine that lasts 1-2 days. I use Imitrex to releive it. Took me 5 years to get the doctors to believe I had headaches. Seems as though once you describe your symptoms, they write off anything else you say.

This has been going on for 20 years! I've complained to 3 MD's and was blown off as; "the symptoms you describe are too general"

I've now read 10 pages of posts and I'm greatly relieved that I'm not nuts!!! (well, not totally)
« Last Edit: 17/06/2009 03:47:27 by Langjahr »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: 17/06/2009 01:26:41 »

Langjahr, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Langjahr, don't feel too bad, I've got over 30 years of this agonizing nonsense. And, don't worry, you're as "nuts" as the rest of us, trying for decades to figure this out!

But the progress here is steady and firm. Some of us, including myself, have found significant relief.

And we continue to find progress in dealing with the medical community, which has frustrated you and the rest of us. There are many posts for you to review on this subject.

We look forward to your next post!!

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send me a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 17/06/2009 01:32:19 by demografx »

Offline NakedDynamo

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: 17/06/2009 05:20:49 »
Hi Everyone, Firstly I'd like to thank you all for setting up a place to discuss this issue openly. It has helped immensely knowning that it is a problem, and there is a community actively experiementing to solve this.

I'm from Australia and have been suffering from POIS (like most others an unknown term until now) for as long as I can remember. I've now tried Fenugreek with limited success. Can't seem to get Relora in Australia, but have paid a hefty fee to bring it in from the States (Fingers Crossed).

To the leaders of this Forum - Some Suggestions to bring this to the wider attention of the community.

1. Have we tried appealing to the Media in the US? ...or even Dr.Phil, Oprah Winfrey, The Dr's...writing to them. If we can get air time...It could lead to a lot more interest.

My suspicion is that POIS is much much more common than we might think. Like myself- I just thought it was normal, or just a result of my poor diet. By getting this out, perhaps more people will also come forward recognising this as a problem and ultimately more interest from the scientific community or drug companies.

2. I've read that perhaps funding is an issue to get some scientific research on our side. Don't know about others but I've already spent $50 USD on stuff to try. If somehow we could start up a 'fund' to collect $$ as a starting point to attract researchers to look into this issue.

That's my two cents for now - Thanks Again for this Forum.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4624 on: 17/06/2009 05:20:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums