The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6437223 times)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4675 on: 22/06/2009 16:21:50 »
I get really bad sometimes with very scary inability to talk.... and also very odd dizzy, sort of a head ache, very hard to describe feeling in my brain!
PS,
I can certainly identify myself to all the awful smptoms you mention, except that I don't have any positive effect with Ativan... Maybe I should try again.
When I know I'm in this state I have to do things where people are not involved which is not always easy. Anyway I'm not very productive at this moment.
For sure this inability to talk is also causing a part of the anxiety.
Hope you'll be better soon!

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: 22/06/2009 16:30:53 »
martin88,

What dosage of ATIVAN? Is it the type you swallow or the one you put under your tongue? I use the under the tongue type it only takes 10-20 minutes to kick in, and 1mg, I jave tried the swallowing type at at 1mg for that type I do not get the same results, not as good. (I weigh 200lbs if that makes a difference to dosage)

If I take 2mg all at once I can start to not remember things that happened for the next 8-10 hours! So its rare for me to go above 1mg.

PS

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: 22/06/2009 22:21:31 »
martin88,

What dosage of ATIVAN? Is it the type you swallow or the one you put under your tongue? I use the under the tongue type it only takes 10-20 minutes to kick in, and 1mg, I jave tried the swallowing type at at 1mg for that type I do not get the same results, not as good. (I weigh 200lbs if that makes a difference to dosage)

If I take 2mg all at once I can start to not remember things that happened for the next 8-10 hours! So its rare for me to go above 1mg.

PS

I've used 0.5 mg sub-lingual Ativan pills... I think I've at least tested 1.5-2 mg at once.  It doesn't help me with POIS. 
« Last Edit: 22/06/2009 22:23:39 by Counterpoints »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: 22/06/2009 22:50:31 »
martin88,

PS
PS,
I'll know this for next time.
Unfortunately I can't remember this information (maybe I took too much of it!) and I couldn't find the prescription in my files. It was more than 15 years ago ... (It was some very small round and white pills..). Since I was feeling an effect I suppose it was enough.
Usually in pois I feel a lack of tension in the nerves for action (like if I need a stimulant to move) and I remember this was aggravated by Ativan.
It seems there are differents type of pois if we compare our 3 experiences.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: 23/06/2009 01:48:03 »

We just hit 200 Pages! There must be a significance to that somewhere!!! ;D

There is... 25 posts per page 200 pages or... 5000 posts!

PS.

Thanks, PS!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: 23/06/2009 01:54:18 »
[Just in case my precedent post was misinterpreted (it was edited also), I'd like to add that I'm not for any form of censure here. I think that anyone without exception is welcome here to express whatever he thinks to be  relevant :) ]

Martin, generally I would agree with you. But from past experience, I feel that there are exceptions: (1) spammers, i.e., blatant advertisers (2) ad hominem attacks on other forum members (3) outright quackery (dangerous medical suggestions or totally false medical information) (4) "street language", e.g., referring to human anatomy, sex, etc. is inappropriate in a Science forum, (5) acting against the interest of the forum, e.g., misrepresentational letters to organizations purporting to be the "voice" of this forum.

I have taken appropriate action in all these cases, which has generally been supported by the members here as well as Naked Science Forum administrators.

But I think you're right that opposing points of view should generally be tolerated, which is the spirit of a forum.
« Last Edit: 23/06/2009 02:01:52 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: 23/06/2009 02:10:57 »
ANXIETY

For myself only, I dismissed anxiety as a correlate to my POIS. But the last POIS episode made me think differently: I was back to "90% cured" and.....the anxiety state was 'normal'. In retrospect, the very few bad experiences I had since starting testosterone treatment either were related to frequency or to mood (anxiety), the latter being the worst.

Relora seems to help along those lines, but it is really hard to tell at this time. I'm just grateful that something works sometimes!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: 23/06/2009 03:45:28 »
[Just in case my precedent post was misinterpreted (it was edited also), I'd like to add that I'm not for any form of censure here. I think that anyone without exception is welcome here to express whatever he thinks to be  relevant :) ]

Martin, generally I would agree with you. But from past experience, I feel that there are exceptions: (1) spammers, i.e., blatant advertisers (2) ad hominem attacks on other forum members (3) outright quackery (dangerous medical suggestions or totally false medical information) (4) "street language", e.g., referring to human anatomy, sex, etc. is inappropriate in a Science forum, (5) acting against the interest of the forum, e.g., misrepresentational letters to organizations purporting to be the "voice" of this forum.

I have taken appropriate action in all these cases, which has generally been supported by the members here as well as Naked Science Forum administrators.

But I think you're right that opposing points of view should generally be tolerated, which is the spirit of a forum.

Sure you're very right.. and many thanks for your involvement as a moderator, which I know is not always an easy task! I was focused more on usual people who could eventually feel censured by my initial post.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: 23/06/2009 05:31:43 »

many thanks for your involvement as a moderator, which I know is not always an easy task!

Many thanks in return! Your contributions here have always been greatly appreciated.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: 23/06/2009 17:35:46 »
Question... I find it very difficult to "abstain" for more than 3 days.  I get very tense, I find it difficult to focus, and my thoughts become less fluent -- as does my writing.  This isn't the same as POIS, I imagine it's somewhat common for people who have gone long periods of time, but it's probably related.  It's severe enough that my productivity decreases, even when I am trying my best to focus.

I'm wondering if anyone else had trouble with this?  I hear about people going weeks, a month, or even months without release. Do you start to feel really agitated after a week? 

One other question: I've noticed when I am exposed to stimulating material, I sometimes get involuntary shivers in my spine... I don't know if this is normal or not, but it feels like a massive release of neurotransmitters (dopamine, etc?).
I wonder what this is.  I imagine it's the same as if you showed a bag of cocaine to an addict.
« Last Edit: 23/06/2009 17:42:07 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: 23/06/2009 18:23:20 »

Question... I find it very difficult to "abstain" for more than 3 days.  I get very tense, I find it difficult to focus, and my thoughts become less fluent -- as does my writing.  This isn't the same as POIS, I imagine it's somewhat common for people who have gone long periods of time, but it's probably related.  It's severe enough that my productivity decreases, even when I am trying my best to focus.

I'm wondering if anyone else had trouble with this?  I hear about people going weeks, a month, or even months without release. Do you start to feel really agitated after a week? 

With my testosterone therapy bringing me into the "normal" range, one week brings me to tension.

Prior to T-therapy, it would take 6-8 weeks to build up that same level of tension.

I think the tension relates partly to habit and that because release is so powerful it sets a biological clock, comparable to circadian rhythm .

Some people have incredibly long abstinence periods. I think that happens because they forcefully override that time clock the first time or two, then afterwards the body simply adjusts to abstinence. The other possibility, based on my experience, is that low libido can make the adjustment much easier.

With my current libido at normal level, I would find it nearly impossible to achieve abstinence. I know because of POIS I tried and failed numerous times over many years.

But that's just me.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: 23/06/2009 18:28:02 »
Yes, I think the body definitely gets into a rhythm.... and mine seems to adapt really quickly.  If I went to once/day, even a few times, I'm sure after a day of abstinence I would be feeling pretty agitated.

My goal is to change this rhythm to something weekly.  I wonder if recovery time will then be affected, though.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: 23/06/2009 21:12:35 »
Accident????

I first started feeling POIS when I was 14, but I had been able to achieve orgasm for at least 8 months before that, and without any notable problems.  It is hard for me to recall exactly when POIS symptoms started, but I believe it may have been within a month of an accident I had (before or after I am not sure).  I really hope there is no connection, (and there is a good chance there isn't), but I'm curious if anyone had a similar experience. 

I had taken an airplane, and was unable to relieve the pressure from my ears.  When I landed, the pressure was immense.  I tried plugging my nose and blowing, which I think stimulated my vagus nerve and caused me to faint, apparently hitting my head fairly hard on the tile floor.  I am guessing I became conscious within about 5-10 minutes.

I was taken to the emergency room in the hospital by ambulance, where a doctor shone a light in my eyes, and my response was normal.  Then I was free to go.  I did not have any kind of brain scan at the time, which I think is fairly standard procedure in these situations. 

So did anyone here have any kind of head trauma, or similar experience, before they noticed POIS?  I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

Edit: I'd also be curious to hear if POIS "developed", or if you had it as soon as you were able to have orgasm.
« Last Edit: 23/06/2009 21:25:42 by Counterpoints »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: 23/06/2009 21:38:57 »
CP,
Question... I find it very difficult to "abstain" for more than 3 days.  I get very tense, I find it difficult to focus, and my thoughts become less fluent -- as does my writing.  This isn't the same as POIS, I imagine it's somewhat common for people who have gone long periods of time, but it's probably related.  It's severe enough that my productivity decreases, even when I am trying my best to focus.

Very serendipitous, I just experienced this last week! As I reported I didn't have my typical POIS experience but there was a anxiety day on about a 3 day lag from orgasm. The next day I was back to normal. I have previously heard of this reaction from a friend years ago. I remember it distinctly because it was the only time I had ever heard someone relate a mental state to sex. As this was "my world" I took notice. As a separate issue from POIS I suspect it might be something quite common, a more mainstream reaction. Whether the reason for the anxiety is recognized is another matter. When I see someone having an anxious day I sometimes wonder if they are in this "withdrawl".

I did have one bang to the head when I was 14ish as well. I was at a camp and was hanging from the rafters and fell on my head, and was out for a minute or so. When I came to someone was running for help but I called them off as I was embarrassed. I only mention this because of your question, I didn't suspect it was related to POIS, but who knows?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: 24/06/2009 01:45:58 »
I can't recall my first POIS episode, which is why I always say "30+ years".

No head trauma/injury that I can recall.

Offline ajs

• View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: 24/06/2009 02:19:56 »
will somebody please wikipedia G-protein-coupled receptor(GPCR) and prostaglandin and tell me what u think....i really feel like there is damage to the receptors.....my pois started after getting shingles and right away started getting weird symptoms like severe vasodialation in legs that would come and go then i became very sensitive to smells,every smell was 100x stronger and some other things

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: 24/06/2009 06:55:29 »
sorry to cut in like this guys, but I gotta ask if anyone has any blood test data on ACTH levels (Adrenocorticotropic hormone); I think I'm close to a comprehensive theory that can be supported by data.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: 24/06/2009 18:13:46 »
sorry to cut in like this guys, but I gotta ask if anyone has any blood test data on ACTH levels (Adrenocorticotropic hormone); I think I'm close to a comprehensive theory that can be supported by data.

Yes, I have, several times.  Once they were high-normal, the other times they were normal. 

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: 24/06/2009 20:45:08 »
Just while theories are being passed about... I had a few ideas, I was going to type up more completely later.  They're not very refined, but I had to type this really quickly.

1) Incomplete orgasm.  Neurological orgasm sequence does not execute completely.  This explains the "still in sex" feeling.  It also would explain subsequent relief with another orgasm, and varying degrees of symptoms from orgasm to orgasm. 

2) Head trauma?  This could cause a malfunction like mentioned above.

3) Addiction?  During development, reward pathways, etc., adapted in such a way that causes a dramatic response to orgasm.  Unlike other addictions, this is hard to break, because it is almost entirely internal.  (e.g. we are not consuming a chemical). 

4) Holstege et. al have done relatively detailed studies of the neurological response to orgasm.  In men, the VTA in the brain is stimulated by orgasm as it is with heroin use.  This connects to point 3).   It is also significant because a vast majority of cases here are described by men.  The amygdala (involved in the "fight or flight" response, and processing fearful stimuli) is also affected by orgasm... explaining some of the symptoms, and could possibly connect to the above points.

5) Spinal chord injury.  Could have happened during development.  Apparently parts of the spine are activated during orgasm (Holstege et. al).

6) Pituitary/adrenal, as discussed. The pituitary gland regulates sexual function.  There are also probably many chemicals associated with the sexual response that are not known or are not routinely measured, which are regulated by the pituitary.  Therefore a pituitary adenoma could cause POIS like problems.  Pituitary adenomas are also known to cause cyclical problems (e.g. cyclical hypercortisolism), but the reason for the cycles are, as far as I am aware, unknown.  Obviously the adenoma is stimulated somehow, for instance in cyclical Cushings, but we are not sure how.  In the case of POIS, if an adenoma were responsible, the stimulating factor (e.g. catalyst for malfunction) is clearly orgasm.  Based on Holstege's work, this seems plausible.  We also know that orgasm does stimulate the pituitary, as prolactin levels, etc., change immediately after orgasm.

Edit:  I remembered that Michael, someone who has posted here, was a boxer.  Maybe that could relate to #2?
« Last Edit: 24/06/2009 22:43:00 by Counterpoints »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: 24/06/2009 22:07:37 »
i noticed POIS over time.  At first I started getting really tired to the point where I was sleeping in every class and couldn't deal with the stress of daily life.  I thought this was from my coffee consumption.  Then one day I felt as if a cloud of fog entered my head while I was just sitting down in a chair.  And than POIS began.

Offline Langjahr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: 24/06/2009 23:14:32 »
My last post was on 6/17 and today is the first day I feel good again. My wife approached my to have sex today, we did but in the first time in 21 years of marriage I purposely did not have an orgasm because I did not want to fell like gargage again. POIS sucks!!!

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: 25/06/2009 01:56:26 »
My last post was on 6/17 and today is the first day I feel good again. My wife approached my to have sex today, we did but in the first time in 21 years of marriage I purposely did not have an orgasm because I did not want to fell like gargage again. POIS sucks!!!

good for you, I did do it today and felt total transformation of personality.  Mine only last for about 5 hours now and is pretty much gone when I get up the next day.
« Last Edit: 25/06/2009 05:15:27 by goingcrazy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: 25/06/2009 01:58:18 »
Another theory, maybe orgasm isn't "contained" in our heads? Maybe the right chemicals are released except maybe they are released in the wrong location.  When I orgasmed today it felt like it came from the back of my head, to the sides and a bit in the front.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: 25/06/2009 02:25:52 »
Pyro, looking forward to your thoughts.

Testosterone is helping me immensely, but Day Zero is still unpleasant.

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: 25/06/2009 14:10:59 »
Hi everyone,

I was in journey and I slept a little, I was tired all the time. So I had some POIS symptomes even if I didn't orgasme since 3 weeks. Same after every 2 sleepless night that I spend in my job.
So I think sleep - stress - POIS are very close to each other

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4699 on: 25/06/2009 14:10:59 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length