The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6425908 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4725 on: 27/06/2009 21:46:52 »

No problem Demo, I suppose I'll have to wait for more information

Yes, Dean, thanks! I simply want us to be able to know what to tell researchers, truthfully, about how many people are available. We might have "300" POIS posts - here and elsewhere from B_Jim's research - but that doesn't indicate the number of participants we can muster...today.

Thanks again, Dean.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: 27/06/2009 22:30:47 »
I don't believe I have ever experienced low libido.
« Last Edit: 29/06/2009 22:57:38 by John21 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: 28/06/2009 00:11:44 »
Thanks, John.

A Google search of this POIS thread reveals 1,100 results for "tired fatigue exhausted". I doubt there is a close 2nd. But you're absolutely right, John, we do have vastly different symptoms represented throughout the sufferer base. I'm just referring, globally, to a statistical mode.
« Last Edit: 28/06/2009 01:43:30 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: 28/06/2009 00:43:44 »

Now, given how busy I am and the sheer number of posting in this thread, pointing to how widespread this issue is, I cannot even entertain the notion of going through it all.

chipdouglas, two things can help in addition to the welcoming post:

1) Pyropeach is compiling a compendium summary of theories, remedies, etc. in this forum from Day One.

2) You can tailor a Google search of this forum to find most of what you're looking for:
Please click to see Message #201634
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg201634#msg201634

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: 28/06/2009 00:53:40 »
POIS RESEARCH STUDY

I'd like a show of hands, please. Would you kindly just post here:

"in study"

if you are willing to participate in a study of POIS by outside researchers who can help us.

As I speak to outside researchers, I'd like to give them an idea how many of us are available for this type of medical research.

A research study wouldn't necessarily involve your physical presence. At this time I'd like to just know how many are in our total pool of possibly available participants.

Thanks much, everyone!

Count me "in study"

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: 28/06/2009 01:16:59 »
Thanks, Pyro!

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: 28/06/2009 05:13:30 »
POIS RESEARCH STUDY

"in study"

if you are willing to participate in a study of POIS by outside researchers who can help us.

As I speak to outside researchers, I'd like to give them an idea how many of us are available for this type of medical research.

A research study wouldn't necessarily involve your physical presence. At this time I'd like to just know how many are in our total pool of possibly available participants.

Thanks much, everyone!

How can I help you???

Offline chipdouglas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: 28/06/2009 05:59:51 »
Demografx : thanks heaps for bringing me up to date above, I'll cover those links for sure.

I've faced a very puzzling situation, which may or may not be what most have experienced. My real issue is I have no sex drive or no horniness if you prefer. This is beyond crippling to me.

I've had countless blood works but nothing in them stands out.

I'll keep searching as I've done over the last 10 years, it's the only way, as docs haven't been of any help.

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: 28/06/2009 10:55:45 »
Welcome Chipdouglas.

About fatigue/exhaustion :

It's a recurrent debate we have here. Please keep in mind all Pois sufferers don't have the same symptoms and that's why it's so difficult to find some consensus. There are different "forms" of Pois.
Fatigue is of course a very common symptoms here but in the same time it's not acurate... Is this a physical fatigue (muscular...) ? Mental fatigue (cognition...) ? Both ? Keep in mind this : each case is different.

A very good point that it is crucial to clearly articulate what we mean when we say "fatigue" and "exhaustion".  In the compendium draft, I point out the two main groups where one primarily has "mental fatigue" and the other primarily has "physical fatigue".  At least that's what I've gathered from just keeping track of the forum, but I could be wrong.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: 28/06/2009 10:59:05 »
Chipdouglas,
I've faced a very puzzling situation, which may or may not be what most have experienced. My real issue is I have no sex drive or no horniness if you prefer. This is beyond crippling to me.

Some of us have been trying Relora recently. Demo reported an aphrodisiac effect when he tried it, and I noticed the same effect. Until taking this I thought that any aphrodisiac effect of a substance could only be psychological, but with Relora this is certainly not the case. Actually I am surprised it isn't marketed for this purpose. Of course if you are on medication consult your doctor before trying it. And even if you are not on medication use caution as it is a natural tranquilizer.
« Last Edit: 28/06/2009 16:27:07 by John21 »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: 28/06/2009 17:23:48 »
Welcome Chipdouglas.

It's a recurrent debate we have here. Please keep in mind all Pois sufferers don't have the same symptoms and that's why it's so difficult to find some consensus. There are different "forms" of Pois.
Fatigue is of course a very common symptoms here but in the same time it's not acurate... Is this a physical fatigue (muscular...) ? Mental fatigue (cognition...) ? Both ? Keep in mind this : each case is different.

A very good point that it is crucial to clearly articulate what we mean when we say "fatigue" and "exhaustion". 

Good point.  "anxiety" might be another symptom that is difficult to clearly articulate.  I think the general impression people have is that "anxiety" is something consciously generated, or can be controlled through medication.  However, the anxiety I experience with POIS isn't anything like "normal" anxiety that I might get over an exam, etc.  It's long lasting, reasonably constant in duration, and largely unresponsive to medication or any conscious effort to control it.  One of the key differences is that "normal" anxiety is a result of thinking about something in particular, whereas this is present regardless of that.  I thought this might be similar to the "distress" experienced by people with sugar handling problems (or very high cortisol levels).  There's also a definite social anxiety that comes with (my) POIS, which isn't normally present when I am symptom free.  This is certainly just part of the larger "anxiety" issue, and may give some clues about its origin.  I think it's associated with POIS "bringing my defenses down".  I discussed the anxiety symptom with a neuroscientist who has done research on orgasm using functional imaging, and he suggested that the amygdala is de-activated, and my anxiety was generated by a "lack of alertness".  This is the opposite of what one might expect -- that the amygdala is over-activated.
« Last Edit: 28/06/2009 17:32:26 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: 28/06/2009 18:31:16 »
POIS RESEARCH STUDY

"in study"

Thanks much, everyone!

How can I help you???

You already did! Just by saying that you've indicated your willingness to participate. Thanx!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: 28/06/2009 18:36:51 »
Hi All,

Just wanted to pop my head in as I do occasionally to say how amazed I am at the way you all support one another here. I don't think anyone imagined that this thread would survive past it's infancy and grow to the outstanding thread it is today.

Demografx and all the other members contribute tremendously here.

It's easy I suppose when you are dealing with such a condition that it must be very hard to define eh ?

I gather it's accepted that POIS must be a generic term for a whole bunch of symptoms that are all related in one way or another but primarily are symptomatic specifically of Post Orgasm. What form the syndrome takes is wide and varied...as individual as..well..the individuals who are suffering from it eh ?

I am not surprised to see that disagreements may take flight. Especially, when , considering the condition. One never knows how really the other people in the thread are feeling at the moment.

I always think that sometimes it's prudent to realize that words said here may be written when people are suffering and so I figure a big dose of tolerance must be exercised.

Well done to you all and Demografx for his excellent moderation of what must be quite a difficult thread.

« Last Edit: 29/06/2009 22:01:57 by neilep »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: 28/06/2009 19:00:48 »
Neil,

Thank you so much for that!

I think people are here above and beyond selfish needs...in a commitment to fighting this agonizing malady. The proof of that is that MOST PEOPLE LEAVE...the committed altruists stay and contribute.

Forgive me if I'm emotional, but this forum has become a mission for me, more than many things in my life. Maybe because 30+ years of POIS has been a central, defining element of my existence.

Best wishes to all! Thank you.
« Last Edit: 29/06/2009 21:04:03 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: 28/06/2009 19:53:48 »

Demografx : thanks heaps for bringing me up to date above, I'll cover those links for sure.

I've had countless blood works but nothing in them stands out.

I'll keep searching as I've done over the last 10 years, it's the only way, as docs haven't been of any help.

chipdouglas, I had the same problem, and I didn't get factual results until I had my bloodwork done with an endocrinologist, looking at testosterone and other hormones.

Previously, testing with a GP and a urologist showed "normal" testosterone. In one case, the lab reported my "adequate" results as a female! ;D

TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) has brought my libido ("sex drive, horniness" as you indicated) to a level higher than it's been in decades. Normal.

I hope that helps.

« Last Edit: 28/06/2009 21:22:33 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #4740 on: 28/06/2009 20:44:31 »
I will participate in the study.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: 28/06/2009 21:06:14 »

I will participate in the study.

Many thanks, LJ!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: 28/06/2009 21:37:49 »
Does anyone else experience severe jet lag? Excessive hangover from moderate drinking?...

...lasting for days, as POIS does.

I've always wondered if the above out-of-proportion reactions come from a disruptive mechanism similar to the one that creates POIS, but not with exactly the same symptoms. A mechanism whereby the mind and body (hormones? neurotransmitters? etc.) are thrown "off balance" .

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: 28/06/2009 21:57:23 »
Does anyone else experience severe jet lag? Excessive hangover from moderate drinking?...

I've always wondered if the above out-of-proportion reactions come from a disruptive mechanism similar to the one that creates POIS, but not with exactly the same symptoms. A mechanism whereby the mind and body (hormones? neurotransmitters? etc.) are thrown "off balance" .

Well i did just drink last night.  A bit of a hangover today... not too bad though.  I believe it would be worse if you were in POIS and drank than the hangover will probably be twice as bad.  What I thought was interesting though is that when I orgasm, I get a lot of stuff in my eyes the next morning, and this morning (the morning after I drank)  I opened my eyes and could pretty much tell you that it was like looking through a foggy window, I had to rub the stuff out of my eyes and wait about half an hour for it to clear up.  I think we are all out of balance.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: 28/06/2009 22:02:04 »
Welcome Chipdouglas.

A very good point that it is crucial to clearly articulate what we mean when we say "fatigue" and "exhaustion". 

Good point.  "anxiety" might be another symptom that is difficult to clearly articulate.  I think the general impression people have is that "anxiety" is something consciously generated, or can be controlled through medication.  However, the anxiety I experience with POIS isn't anything like "normal" anxiety that I might get over an exam, etc.  It's long lasting, reasonably constant in duration, and largely unresponsive to medication or any conscious effort to control it.  One of the key differences is that "normal" anxiety is a result of thinking about something in particular, whereas this is present regardless of that.  I thought this might be similar to the "distress" experienced by people with sugar handling problems (or very high cortisol levels).  There's also a definite social anxiety that comes with (my) POIS, which isn't normally present when I am symptom free.  This is certainly just part of the larger "anxiety" issue, and may give some clues about its origin.  I think it's associated with POIS "bringing my defenses down".  I discussed the anxiety symptom with a neuroscientist who has done research on orgasm using functional imaging, and he suggested that the amygdala is de-activated, and my anxiety was generated by a "lack of alertness".  This is the opposite of what one might expect -- that the amygdala is over-activated.

Yes, I thought of that before too... I don't even think its anxiety.  I think it's somewhat similar but maybe its a signal your brain receives when it's being attacked?  It feels like mental torture for me and  I don't think people with normal anxiety issues feel like they're being attacked.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: 28/06/2009 22:53:21 »
Am down for study, wherelse are they going to get people to participate.
On anxiety, I only have anxiety with social issures but is only because i feel like my IQ drops a nice degree during pois and also talking seems to be the glue during all types of social forms and during pois that aint happening.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: 29/06/2009 15:52:58 »

Well i did just drink last night.  A bit of a hangover today... not too bad though. 

Thanks, GC, what I was looking for was  a   _disproportionate_  hangover. Did you feel the hangover was excessive considering the amount you drank? How much did you drink? Will the hangover last for days?

I'm looking for _similarities_ between POIS and other ways our systems can go haywire, not "drinking in or out of POIS".

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 29/06/2009 15:58:37 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: 29/06/2009 16:01:02 »
Thanks, CC!

Offline Langjahr

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: 29/06/2009 17:24:46 »

I do!. I used to be able to enjoy a few beers with the guys but since my POIS syptoms materialized 20 years ago I got to the point where if I drink 1 beer I get a hang over. In fact, I've likened my POIS symptoms to a hang over in many discussions.
« Last Edit: 29/06/2009 17:27:39 by Langjahr »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: 29/06/2009 18:49:47 »

I do!. I used to be able to enjoy a few beers with the guys but since my POIS syptoms materialized 20 years ago I got to the point where if I drink 1 beer I get a hang over. In fact, I've likened my POIS symptoms to a hang over in many discussions.

Fascinating, Langjahr, thank you very much for that!

Always nice to know we're not the only ones on the planet with strange symptoms.
« Last Edit: 29/06/2009 18:54:59 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4749 on: 29/06/2009 18:49:47 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums