The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454185 times)

Offline NakedDynamo

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4750 on: 30/06/2009 09:48:01 »
Hi Guys..Haven't had too much time of late to write too much...

Demografx...Happy to participate in any study to assist. I really hope we get closer to understanding this thing.

Couple of Quick points to add to the discussion above:

1. I have never been able to have much more than one beer. It just affects me like I have had the equivalent of someone elses 10 beers. As a result, I have always steered away from drinking. I always feel like sleeping after a beer....actually now that I think about it (and prompted by the discussion)....It's kind of like the severe sleepiness I get when in POIS period.

2. I get very severe headaches if I read in a moving car...I always thought that was normal though...Not sure if thats related.

Cheers.

ND.
« Last Edit: 30/06/2009 12:08:01 by NakedDynamo »

Offline chipdouglas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: 30/06/2009 17:04:31 »
Hi again,

It's been a few days now and I have only had minimal time to read from this board..but I did despite time constraints.

One other very helpful place is this one : newbielink:http://www.definitivemind.com/forums/index.php [nonactive]

The owner and moderator of this discussion board is Dr. Romeo B. Mariano who has his medical practice in Monterey CA. He's a psychiatrist with a specialty in behavioral endocrinology.

Have a look at the postings on his board, and you'll very likely find some help there too.

Again, the reason I'm posting this is to help out others. I for one have been searching for years now, and well, I don't mind sharing what it is I've found if that can cause some people to suffer less than I have.

Offline daisi_sufferer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: 30/06/2009 17:12:26 »
Hi everyone,

Though I have more or less same emotions after having found this forum, I would not waste time and get to the business right way by summarising my life. It is to add to this pool of knowledge/information.

Age 1-13
One of the brightest kid around
Started masterbation with the frequency few times a week
No major symptoms of POIS

Age 14-15
Mild symptoms of POIS started to appear
Symptoms were mainly general weakness, very tired legs, laziness

Age 16-20
Started having too frequent wed dreams, 4-6 times a week. Sometime 2-3 times in a single night. POIS symptoms got very severe. Saw homeopath and started taking Acid Phos which only helped to reduce frequency of wet dreams but had no effect on POIS symptoms. Kept on taking Acid Phos on on-off basis. Stopped masterbation. Almost

Age 21-26
Stopped taking Homeopathic medicine and started to focus on general health, sports, food and tried to convince myself that this is only in my head as advised by GP. But POIS symptoms got worst. Developed very severe Premature Ejaculation. Frequency of wet dreams was slightly reduced. Started being depressed

Age 26-29
Saw urologist and was prescribed Seroxat, a SSRI, which helped only in reducing frequency of wet dreams. Kept on taking it for quite sometime but no effect on POIS symptoms and depression. Got married but PE was too severe to have normal sex

Age 30-34 (i.e. today)
Tried few Homeopathic docs and many medicines but no improvement in POIS symptoms and PE. For last few months I have tried quite few herbs including Maca, Ginseng, Gingko Biloba, Ashwagandha, Tribulus, Fish Oil, Tongkat Ali. These herbs have helped in improving general health and slightly increased libido but no improvements in POIS symptoms and PE

Symptoms
Following conditions/symptoms are permanent
General muscle weekness and tiredness, very very severe PE, almost no sex drive, very bad short term and long term memory, very irritable and short tempered personality
Following symptoms are after ejaculation
Severe fatigue, foggy brain, blurred eye vision, don't like to meet anyone, don't like to do anything. But, unlike many persons here, my symptoms seem to get recover relatively quicker. 

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: 30/06/2009 22:55:28 »
Daisi_Sufferer,

Thanks for posting your info. My symptoms were typically a week of mental distortion/distress, which then subsided and sometimes left me burnt out for another duration. How quickly do you recover from an event?

I have PE also. I'm not sure if it is related to POIS, but it might be a direct result of masturbation.
« Last Edit: 30/06/2009 23:01:22 by John21 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: 01/07/2009 02:00:52 »
Daisi_Sufferer, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Daisi_Sufferer, thank you very much for your very interesting, creative and unusual chronological reporting of your history!

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send me a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4755 on: 01/07/2009 02:28:01 »

The owner and moderator of this discussion board is Dr. Romeo B. Mariano who has his medical practice in Monterey CA. He's a psychiatrist with a specialty in behavioral endocrinology.

Some bodybuilders swear by him. To a number of people, he seems very controversial. I'll just give you a couple examples, by no means comprehensive in any way in describing his practice.

From internet postings and at least with one individual at this forum, he has reportedly swayed people with low testosterone away from TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) - the standard, extensively tested medical treatment worldwide for low testosterone - and instead recommended a multitude of supplements.

I am on TRT and it has changed my life. POIS episodes are now 75% to 90% healed, after searching for every possible cure under the sun, to no avail, for over 30 years. (This POIS treatment works for me, and is not recommended as a "cure" for POIS. Everyone is different and should be tested and treated in accordance with their own unique symptoms.)

He reportedly believes in neurotransmitter testing. My university endocrinologist, a respected academic and endocrinology-based practitioner for 30 years, says that neurotransmitter testing is a great idea, but it's highly unreliable.

Again, some bodybuilders think he has "the answers" to endocrine-related problems. After the first visit, everything is conducted by telephone, according to posted reports.

I would encourage extremely careful investigation into specific treatments recommended.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 03:09:47 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: 01/07/2009 02:48:50 »
Daisi_Sufferer, this post below might help you find answers easier by tailoring a Google search to this POIS forum:

SEARCH POIS FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: nearly 2 years' worth of posts from 130+ Forum members.

In the Google search box, type
whatever you're interested in finding[space]site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within POIS Forum.

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 03:07:38 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: 01/07/2009 08:20:44 »
For pois publicity stories:  Am moving out of my parents by the end of today because of pois(there is a story, not because i exactly have pois but because of the measures i took to reduce nocturnal emission). I guess the closet is to small to contain my parents and I so I had to move out.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: 01/07/2009 10:47:12 »
Demo,
You mentioned you have had symptoms of depression. I don't consider myself depressed but for the last few days I have been ingesting 1 Tbsp flax oil daily, and I have noticed an antidepressant effect from it.  It may be an effect that will wear off quickly, we'll see. This idea probably isn't new to you, I'm sure you have heard that Omega 3s, fish oil etc. can help with depression, but for me flax oil is particularly powerful. It could be that I am so sensitive to substances that I have such a noticeable reaction, or maybe it has something to do with my low fat diet. Anyway, you may wish to consider this arrow for your quiver.

Offline daisi_sufferer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: 01/07/2009 15:25:33 »
Thanks, John21 & demografx for such warm welcome and help. If ejaculation is after more than 7-10 days than I recover in 2-3 days. But whatever the case is, my permanent symptoms stay put.

Can you guys help suggest some solution for my PE problem? I want to try out some of the solutions mentioned for POIS on this forum in following order. Can you kindly confirm my understanding?

(1) fenugreek
(2) Relora (which brand?)

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: 01/07/2009 15:36:16 »
Daisi_sufferer,
Can you guys help suggest some solution for my PE problem? I want to try out some of the solutions mentioned for POIS on this forum in following order. Can you kindly confirm my understanding?

(1) fenugreek

I do not believe that either of these will make any difference to your PE whatsoever. The only thing I know of that works somewhat is SSRIs which I would not take unless absolutely necessary. That is, I wouldn't want to take them for PE alone, there would have to be a more substantial reason such as severe depression.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 15:38:37 by John21 »

Offline daisi_sufferer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: 01/07/2009 16:34:44 »
Daisi_sufferer,

(1) fenugreek

I do not believe that either of these will make any difference to your PE whatsoever. The only thing I know of that works somewhat is SSRIs which I would not take unless absolutely necessary. That is, I wouldn't want to take them for PE alone, there would have to be a more substantial reason such as severe depression.

Little correction, I want to try these two things for POIS, not for PE.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: 01/07/2009 16:45:41 »
HUGE correction :)

Please see my post to you on "POIS forum google search" and look for Relora and fenugreek. If my instructions aren't clear just let me know and I'll be happy to do it for you.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: 01/07/2009 16:57:41 »

Demo,
You mentioned you have had symptoms of depression. I don't consider myself depressed but for the last few days I have been ingesting 1 Tbsp flax oil daily, and I have noticed an antidepressant effect from it.  It may be an effect that will wear off quickly, we'll see. This idea probably isn't new to you, I'm sure you have heard that Omega 3s, fish oil etc. can help with depression, but for me flax oil is particularly powerful. It could be that I am so sensitive to substances that I have such a noticeable reaction, or maybe it has something to do with my low fat diet. Anyway, you may wish to consider this arrow for your quiver.

John, excellent ideas for depression! Many thanks, I don't believe my antidepressant works much. But, in my case, the Rx stimulants do. I've tried just about every anti-d on the market. 20 years ago I did have a fantastic, life-changing positive effect from Prozac, and thankfully it's permanent. Prior to that, I would sink to some nightmarish, fierce lows which have never recurred.

Thanks again for the great ideas.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 23:04:16 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: 01/07/2009 18:00:38 »

About fatigue/exhaustion :

It's a recurrent debate we have here. Please keep in mind all Pois sufferers don't have the same symptoms and that's why it's so difficult to find some consensus. There are different "forms" of Pois.
Fatigue is of course a very common symptoms here but in the same time it's not acurate... Is this a physical fatigue (muscular...) ? Mental fatigue (cognition...) ? Both ? Keep in mind this : each case is different.

B_Jim, thank you very much for your analysis of "fatigue". I really do understand the fine distinctions. My interest is not in diagnostic precision (not just yet), or even "symptom consensus". Rather I am looking for the word(s) that will most efficiently attract the largest sufferer population to the forum and/or the best possible treatment for POIS. The widest net possible. And it appears that, in POIS sufferer language, words like "fatigue, tired, exhausted" are spoken/written by a very large sub-group (perhaps the single largest one, yet by no means the only one).

So my thinking at this stage is promotional. For example, in wikipedia and Google, I believe that a very large proportion of sufferers will look for something along the lines of "fatigue after orgasm". I'm not trying to oversimplify the symptoms, I'm simply trying to maximize our outreach efforts.

We should give the same consideration to cognitive symptoms. Is "word finding difficulty" something the average POIS-cognitive-sufferer would type into Google or wikipedia? "Anxiety" is imprecise, we know, but if "days of anxiety after intercourse" is how a large chunk of sufferers think/write, we should address that.

Perhaps I haven't been clear enough in making a distinction between talking to physicians vs. talking to sufferers. 

I realize the letter to AACE might be a contradiction, but at this stage of even talking to physicians, it seems  right.

Counterpoints, John, B_Jim, anyone else, you've had a lot to say on this, any thoughts on the "promotional" angle I've described?
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 23:11:43 by demografx »

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: 01/07/2009 18:26:21 »
I begin to believe that Premature Ejaculation is the part of POIS. Does every POIS sufferer have the PE? Me, personally, I have very severe PE.

By the way, today I was finally in rendez vous with endoc. She was very surprised, sent me to do same blood test that Demografx advised me and then told me that she would presribe me some anti-depressor with a little dose

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: 01/07/2009 19:07:26 »
Pronobis, there are PE sufferers here, but I think the majority do not have it. B_Jim or Counterpoints may know more.

Pronobis, congratulations on your progress!!
« Last Edit: 01/07/2009 19:14:13 by demografx »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: 02/07/2009 04:45:53 »
I begin to believe that Premature Ejaculation is the part of POIS. Does every POIS sufferer have the PE? Me, personally, I have very severe PE.

I also have significant PE.  I've wondered whether it's connected to POIS, but I guess not everyone here suffers from it, so it remains unclear.

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: 02/07/2009 04:48:28 »
Does anyone else experience severe jet lag? Excessive hangover from moderate drinking?...

...lasting for days, as POIS does.

I've always wondered if the above out-of-proportion reactions come from a disruptive mechanism similar to the one that creates POIS, but not with exactly the same symptoms. A mechanism whereby the mind and body (hormones? neurotransmitters? etc.) are thrown "off balance" .

I also am strongly affected by just a little bit of alcohol.  I wonder if there are other documented hormonal/endocrine issues that have "low alcohol tolerance" as a symptom...

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: 02/07/2009 04:49:06 »
POIS RESEARCH STUDY

I'd like a show of hands, please.

Sure, I'd participate in a study.

Offline Pantaloon

• View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: 02/07/2009 20:52:02 »
Some comments/responses on recent questions/discussions

Demo - I'd happily take part in any trial you can sort out.

Concerning the issue of alcohol and POIS, I definitely get it. Wine worst, followed by Beer, spirits sometimes OK. Generally I avoid it all though.

With Regard to PE, I think it's something that happens to most guys who don't have sex all that often - I guess too much enthusiasm/excitement is not surprising when it's been a while. I imagine that everybody with POIS is having sex far less than there libido would naturally lead them to. I know I am :-(

Regards

Pantaloon

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: 03/07/2009 02:11:57 »

I also am strongly affected by just a little bit of alcohol.  I wonder if there are other documented hormonal/endocrine issues that have "low alcohol tolerance" as a symptom...

Guthrie, some interesting results came up when I Googled "low alcohol tolerance hormones":
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=low+alcohol+tolerance+hormones&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I continue to wonder if this isn't somehow related to POIS...
« Last Edit: 03/07/2009 02:22:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: 03/07/2009 02:16:25 »

Sure, I'd participate in a study.

Demo - I'd happily take part in any trial you can sort out.

Guthrie, Pantaloon, thanks!
« Last Edit: 03/07/2009 02:21:01 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: 03/07/2009 02:27:55 »

I also have significant PE.  I've wondered whether it's connected to POIS, but I guess not everyone here suffers from it, so it remains unclear.

I've seen PE mentioned enough in POIS cases to make me think it's worth investigating.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2009 02:48:02 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: 03/07/2009 02:35:28 »
Urinary Frequency
and
Nocturia
(2+ bathroom visits per night)

I have both and for a very long time wondered about their connection to POIS. I was so certain that several urologists I consulted would surely understand the connection. Or at least understand POIS. Rude awakening. It was a huge disappointment each time. And it took me years just to get over the embarrassment of talking to them about POIS!

Anyone else care to share their high frequency? (That just sounded like a ham radio operator call to action :))
« Last Edit: 03/07/2009 02:40:34 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4774 on: 03/07/2009 02:35:28 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums