The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6455384 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4850 on: 12/07/2009 20:01:06 »
Hey all! I popped in several months ago and then disappeared, and I'm back.

I'm 20 and I'm a POIS-sufferer, so it's hard for me to find the time to deal with it directly; a) people my age need to have fun. b) I'm already dealing with another serious illness (rheumatoid arthritis).

But, I'll have you know that this is the first day 1 for me in nearly 4 months. Over that time I have become very much alive. It was a glorious (though sexually deficient) break from POIS symptoms, and it allowed me to firmly establish some positive character traits of mine, as POIS symptoms for me are almost all mental and emotional, not really physical.

I still feel the effects (mental fog, low emotional energy), but it's not as unbearable as it used to be.

Now, what to do... A relationship is forming fast... Uh oh... Anybody got a quick fix? 5-HTP perhaps?

No quick fix. You'll do better adjusting to that reality, painful as it may seem.

Congrats on "finding yourself" these last months!

Welcome back.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: 12/07/2009 20:24:24 »

Congratulations, Counterpoints, on the breakthrough!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: 12/07/2009 22:32:19 »

Hello everyone! Definitely count me in on the study! I was willing to travel to Dr. Waldinger's location to shoot a documentary on this illness from hell - which, of course, fell through - so I will help any way I can.

Thanks for all of the discussion and ideas that everyone contributes.

EDS, thanks for the willingness and compliments to the forum. Welcome back!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: 12/07/2009 22:42:39 »

I'm on day 19 of my year of celibacy.

GC, can I just make a suggestion? I have set goals like longterm celibacy, and then found crushing disappointment when I couldn't reach those goals. Which "wipes out" the real accomplishments made in that time, in my case 3 months. The "failure" prevents me from taking the next step, it just seems too paralyzing.

I've heard about this disappointment and its effects frequently from others. Which is why slogans like "one day at a time" exist.

Maybe a more modest goal, followed by another might be less devastating and less pressure to be "Superman"?, e.g., 3 months, then another 3 months, then another 3 months. Your body is used to a completely different rhythm, and the sex drive is mighty powerful!

But in any case, congratulations and maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can handle it just the way you're doing it!
« Last Edit: 12/07/2009 22:46:52 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: 12/07/2009 22:44:24 »

I am typing a nursing paper for my dad and in there it talks about symptoms to look for if you have problem with endocrine function.
things:
pain in foot and hand,body part twitching,low energy,bad mood
and memory
the part that really got me is the twitching, because i have noticed a couple to times after intense orgasm my right eye lid twitch uncontrollably not like super fast but enough for me to notice, for about a day.
Has anyone notice pain in feet, hands or any twitiching.

CC, no pain but very intense burning, numbness in my fingertips.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: 12/07/2009 23:13:53 »

Thanx Demo, I will meet my endocrinologist a little later. So I wanted to know if you had same results.
What about your progress?

Please tell us how the endo visit went.

My testosterone treatment works very well, but I want more. On "Day Zero" I would like to feel less symptoms. And on the following day(s), I would like to feel more mentally and emotionally alert. I've only become aware of this recently. Before that, I was on a "pink cloud" of not feeling terrible, so I didn't pay as much attention to the cognitive aspect.

For example, a few days after POIS I notice my creativity sharpens, one thought leads to the next, and I become someone with an "associative mind", which I enjoy. Playing piano becomes more rewarding. But only after a few days. I would like to see this happen much sooner.

The best way I can describe this is that "the pain of POIS" disappears now much more rapidly, but the joie de vivre doesn't return as rapidly.

Thanks for asking.

But I shouldn't complain. I have escaped a lifetime of totally abject misery!
« Last Edit: 13/07/2009 17:40:17 by demografx »

Offline EDS

• View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: 13/07/2009 00:15:56 »
Thanks Demo!

I have not gone anywhere... I have now read all posts on this forum. I check in every couple of days to read the latest because everyone of you are contributing greatly. I am currently in the process of getting test run by ZRT Labs thanks to information from this thread. I am hoping there is something out of whack that can be addressed by an Endo. Unfortunately, I don't have much to add at this time but I will post my results from ZRT when they are available.

The only thing I have found that seems to help me just a little (I know it is only masking the symptoms) is plain old aspirin. I take 3 immediately after "O" and 2 every 8 hours for the next 3 days when symptoms start letting up. I did try Relora and was unable to take it.... it made me feel like I was in POIS - mentally. I have also tried Fenugreek and can't determine if it helping much or not.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks again for being here!!

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: 13/07/2009 00:45:14 »

Congratulations, Counterpoints, on the breakthrough!

Thanks!! :)

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: 13/07/2009 03:13:02 »
counterpoint: I am on the same line with you on that diet and exercise habbit. I am hoping if i do something similar to what you do for like next 4 months, i loose weight and reduce pois alot.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: 13/07/2009 03:16:24 »
I was just thinking we need committees.
A committe to advertise pois to the medical world/major brodcast
A committe to work on spreading it on the net. (other countries).
A commitee to brainstorm ideas on getting to see endocrinologist eaisier because this is becoming a problem. I belive if i can just get to see one i can find head way with pois.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4860 on: 13/07/2009 15:40:33 »
counterpoint: I am on the same line with you on that diet and exercise habbit. I am hoping if i do something similar to what you do for like next 4 months, i loose weight and reduce pois alot.

I think reduced sugar intake was key.  This may closely relate to B_Jim's low carb high protein diet.  As was the exercise.... but for the exercise to be useful it might have to be fairly intense.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: 13/07/2009 15:51:57 »

I think reduced sugar intake was key.  This may closely relate to B_Jim's low carb high protein diet.  As was the exercise.... but for the exercise to be useful it might have to be fairly intense.

Which seems along the line of a Candida diet.....

PS

Offline daisi_sufferer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: 13/07/2009 15:53:09 »
I didn't want to report on this until later, but some things I've read made me think it was important to share this information now. 

For the last 2 weeks, I have been 70% cured of POIS. This is really a breakthrough for me.  I read other stories here, thinking "this will never be me".  It seemed I had a really tough case.  I tried Relora, Fenugreek, antidepressants, ritalin, ativan, beta blockers, and all made very little difference.  There never seemed to be an "easy fix" for me, and the recovery I'm feeling is the result of a lot of dedication.........................

I have also got very very excited after hearing somone talking about candida. I have been having lots of symptoms of candida for years but did not know the word "candida' until I read about it here. I immediately reduced sugar the moment I read symptoms of candida one week ago. Since then I have been reading about candida extensively on the internet. Suprisingly, there is alot of similarity between POIS symptoms and candida symptoms. I will keep everyone informed about improvement in my case, if there are any.

Offline daisi_sufferer

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: 13/07/2009 16:01:39 »
Demografx, I do remember I owe you some pointers/information on POIS in South Asian's native medical system. Lately, I have been spending whatever time I got on candida thingy.

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: 13/07/2009 17:18:32 »
Hi my question is: Does Orgasm elevate the progesterone levels? It's well known that this hormone boosts the growth o of candida!

But if not, my theory is that orgasm rises IGA levels and make candida die off and cause a herxheimer raction,that lasts 1-7 days (you could think you will have sex once a day and resolve the problem, but it isn't  so easy, the IGA levels will be higher just if you have sex once to twice a weak not more): Herxheimer reaction:"As the body works to detoxify, you may experience symptoms including dizziness, headache, “foggy” headedness, eye floaters (the little blurs in vision which can be detected when the eyeball moves back and forth), depression, anxiety, heightened anger reactions, gas & bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, joint pain, muscle pain, body aches, sore throat, general malaise, exhaustion, need for more sleep, sweating, chills, nausea, skin breakouts, or other symptoms" The problem is, we don't now if orgasm boosts the candida growth or not.

If the level of progesterone doesn't elevate after orgasm you should go on diet, take antifungals and have sex once a week, after a while it should be resolved. But if a orgasm boosts the candida growth? Diet, antifungals and abstinence.

Has someone a study which shows which hormons go up or down after a male orgasm?
« Last Edit: 13/07/2009 17:23:27 by Starsky »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: 13/07/2009 17:56:23 »

My problem with most "Candida" diagnoses is: where is the medical - not symptomatic - evidence that infection exists?
« Last Edit: 14/07/2009 00:19:56 by demografx »

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: 13/07/2009 18:01:03 »
It's not a infection, it's just a overgrowth in the intestine, check your stool for candida overgrowth.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: 13/07/2009 18:28:19 »

When I believe in "Candida", I'll check the stool, thanks!  :)

It's not a [sic] infection, it's just a [sic] overgrowth in the intestine, check your stool for candida overgrowth.

So is the following incorrect?: "Candidiasis is an infection caused by a group of microscopic fungi or yeast." - source: eMedicineHealth
[All emphasis above mine - demo]

I do believe the malady is serious and present in a very small minority, for example, in HIV-positives with compromised immune systems. I just don't subscribe to the "popular" majority illness notions promoted all too often by those who latch on to the fact that a serious, medically recognized condition does actually exist.
« Last Edit: 15/07/2009 05:13:07 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: 13/07/2009 18:30:41 »
Starsky, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS forum resources which may be helpful to you:

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Forum Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send me a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 100 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 300,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: 13/07/2009 18:34:39 »
Starsky, this post below might help you find answers easier by tailoring a Google search to this POIS forum:

SEARCH POIS FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: over 2 years' worth of posts from 130+ Forum members.

In the Google search box, type
whatever you're interested in finding[space]site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within POIS Forum.

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result.
« Last Edit: 14/07/2009 00:43:37 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: 13/07/2009 19:12:39 »
I didn't want to report on this until later, but some things I've read made me think it was important to share this information now. 

For the last 2 weeks, I have been 70% cured of POIS. This is really a breakthrough for me.  I read other stories here, thinking "this will never be me".  It seemed I had a really tough case.  I tried Relora, Fenugreek, antidepressants, ritalin, ativan, beta blockers, and all made very little difference.  There never seemed to be an "easy fix" for me, and the recovery I'm feeling is the result of a lot of dedication.........................

I have also got very very excited after hearing somone talking about candida. I have been having lots of symptoms of candida for years but did not know the word "candida' until I read about it here. I immediately reduced sugar the moment I read symptoms of candida one week ago. Since then I have been reading about candida extensively on the internet. Suprisingly, there is alot of similarity between POIS symptoms and candida symptoms. I will keep everyone informed about improvement in my case, if there are any.

There are many conditions that could cause someone to have a negative reaction to high sugar intake -- diabetes, for example. 

I don't think I have diabetes, but I am skeptical of candida. 
« Last Edit: 13/07/2009 19:34:24 by Counterpoints »

Offline healthy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: 13/07/2009 21:03:40 »
Hello,

I've been doing alot of research on this for my friend and I believe alot of this is associated with neurotransmitter deficiencies. newbielink:http://www.powersupplements.com/craniyums-neuro.html [nonactive]

Has anyone tried craniyums or 5-hpt? You can do a test to see if you're deficient in neurotransmitter and try some.
Please post if you have any results. I highly think this might be a cure but my friend won't take anything that treats insomnia, depression etc. He only takes vitamins and fish oil and thinks he can cure it by eating healthy and working out which obviously isn't working because research says that eating healthy can only do little to increase your neurotransmitters(though it really does help). newbielink:http://www.powersupplements.com/craniyums-test2.pdf [nonactive]

To see how to balance neurotransmitters take a look here.
newbielink:http://www.powersupplements.com/craniyums-less3.html [nonactive]

If anyone has tried craniyums and if it has helped please reply.  Also it says low magnesium can lead to decreased neurotransmitters so  vitamin B-50 or B-100 complex, vitamin C 500 mg. - 1000 mg., calcium 1000 mg. and magnesium 500 mg supplments are recommended. These all help in balancing neurotransmitters.

Can someone please try this and tell me if it works? If it works it might be better than using the other recommended treatmetns of t-patches, antidepressants, relora, etc. 

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: 13/07/2009 21:36:10 »
Hi my question is: Does Orgasm elevate the progesterone levels? It's well known that this hormone boosts the growth o of candida! "As the body works to detoxify, you may experience symptoms including dizziness, headache, “foggy” headedness, eye floaters (the little blurs in vision which can be detected when the eyeball moves back and forth), depression, anxiety, heightened anger reactions, gas & bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, joint pain, muscle pain, body aches, sore throat, general malaise, exhaustion, need for more sleep, sweating, chills, nausea, skin breakouts, or other symptoms" The problem is, we don't now if orgasm boosts the candida growth or not.

But what we do know if that orgasm releases chemicals in our brains which could possibly cause some imbalance, possibly even feeding the candida.  Think about it.  That feeling in your head is not normal, it isn't even anxiety.  orgasm is supposed to make us feel better.   i believe the right chemicals are getting released, candida may be feeding on them.

Offline Green

• View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: 13/07/2009 23:36:55 »
I also suffer from this condition, it sucks the life out of you... I'll introduce myself later...

As for 5-HTP I've had no positive results whatsoever, the only thing that I've found to work post orgasm is TIME, celibating from ANY sexual activity for a lengthy period of time, around 2 months or so then I begin to feel 'myself' longest I've gone is about 6 months and everything was just seamless, no brain fog whatsoever, crystal clear thinking, heightened physical and mental well being and I had the motivation to anything I set out on... but then the cycle began.

I've read through a fair amount of posts, and I've read that the majority of the guys get POIS after and NE, I never get that problem, after an NE I feel 'different' perhaphs relaxed and the feeling only lasts for about a day if that, strange.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: 14/07/2009 00:03:36 »

Has anyone tried craniyums or 5-hpt?

healthy, here are some forum discussions we've had on 5-HTP:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=5+HTP+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I hope this is helpful.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4874 on: 14/07/2009 00:03:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length