The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454959 times)

Offline John21

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #4925 on: 18/07/2009 11:29:12 »
I had an NE night before last and I am ingesting more yogurt in case the cultures are helping me somehow. To me this is the most plausible explanation of what making me asymptomatic. I'm not convinced that "candida" is the culprit but I suspect something in the intestinal tract. Of course, take my suspicions with a few tablespoons of salt.

Then during the week, I'll call the newspaper reporter recommended by Mary Roach (when they ask "who's calling?", I'll say, "Demo",  that should work!  ) If this trial works, we'll have a blueprint for an expanded publicity campaign. "Next:  Oprah interviews John21, but first a word from our sponsor, Fenugreek! Eyewitness News at 11!"

I can imagine the Oprah interview now, children asking, "Mommy why is his face so red?"
Maybe the sponsor would be Howaru :)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: 18/07/2009 15:05:40 »
I had an NE night before last and I am ingesting more yogurt in case the cultures are helping me somehow. To me this is the most plausible explanation of what making me asymptomatic.
Why not, yogurt is good for intestinal flora and for calcium and proteins. What is strange for me is that where I live there is a yogurt (only one brand) which is causing me NEs. I can't figure out why!
(By the way some foods systematically cause me NEs: salmon,brown sugar,b6,too much fat or proteins, and eventually unrefined salt)

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: 18/07/2009 15:45:21 »
John inspired me and now I'm also trying yogurt diet - yogurt twice daly.

I suppose not matter who the sponsor is we'll perform tv and billboard adds for that company to convince the public the product works. Perhaps the ads will be similar to breakfast cerial or then maybe prescription drug ads.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: 18/07/2009 19:52:14 »

If possible I'd like to have a copy of the compendium made by Pyropeach.THANKS.

Sent just now via regular email.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: 18/07/2009 20:45:33 »
Hi Demo !!

Good Job that man !

Neil

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: 18/07/2009 20:59:10 »
Its my understanding that probiotics naturally occur by living cultures in yogurtm. I could be wrong though.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: 18/07/2009 23:50:59 »
Sent just now via regular email.
Thanks!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: 18/07/2009 23:57:45 »

Hi Demo !!

Good Job that man !

Neil

Thanks, Neil!      

« Last Edit: 18/07/2009 23:59:52 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: 19/07/2009 00:07:29 »

Martin (or anyone else who remembers), I tried a number of Google searches of the forum and I just couldn't find the post about who it was that saved our posts or said that they could in the future. Maybe I used the wrong keywords ("back up posts server"). Any ideas? Anyone?
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 04:32:29 by demografx »

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: 19/07/2009 03:43:24 »
man am i glad to see you guys still going strong... too bad the wiki page got cut down to size, since it's said you cant use a forum as a source of reference =( but at least the page is still up

okay so one thing i've been poking around is histamine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_H3_receptor

"The H3 receptor has also been shown to presynaptically inhibit the release of a number of other neurotransmitters (i.e. it acts as an inhibitory heteroreceptor) including, but probably not limited to dopamine, GABA, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, and serotonin."

now about histamine itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine

"Research has shown that histamine is released as part of the human orgasm from mast cells in the genitals."

Now some of the symptoms of having too much histamine in the blood reminds me of POIS symptoms.

Histadelia: This is a disorder, prominent in males, of too
much histamine in the blood.

Symptoms include hyperactivity, compulsions, obsessions, inner
tensions, blank mind episodes, phobias, chronic depression,
and strong suicidal tendencies.

Physical signs can include little tolerance for pain, rapid
metabolism, lean build, profuse sweating, seasonal allergies,
and frequent colds.

So, for POIS symptoms that last a few days, I'm thinking that maybe we have a problem with N-methyltransferase, the chemical that breaks down Histamine.... so after orgasm, Histamine gets in our blood, sits there for too long, and the symptoms develop... after a few days EVENTUALLY the excess Histamine is removed from the blood stream and the symptoms disappear.

Just another random theory i have....

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #4935 on: 19/07/2009 04:00:15 »
Nice job guys,
Congratulations!!!!

Every day I tape in google "post orgasmic illness" to reach at the forum. The first result is the forum's first page. But since today the first result is wikipedia's article. May be it has become more visited.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4936 on: 19/07/2009 04:07:29 »

I can imagine the Oprah interview now, children asking, "Mommy why is his [John21] face so red?"

Mommy says, "Little Jimmy, his face is red because he's embarrassed to have this <cough> "sexual... <eyes rolling to ceiling>...disorder, Jimmy."

"Wait, Mommy, what's a sexual disorder??"

"Jimmy, tuck your shirt in, we're late for soccer practice!"

;D
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 04:18:20 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: 19/07/2009 04:16:43 »

The 3rd question I have is what % of funds raised go to NORD for administrative, overhead, review of researchers, etc., or is that paid from Govt. grants?

I think I found the answer from a NORD press release:

"DANBURY, CT (Dec. 8, 2008) NORD has been awarded the highest (4-Star) rating for sound fiscal management by Charity Navigator, a leading independent evaluator of charities.
Only about four cents of every dollar donated to NORD were spent on administrative or fund-raising costs in 2007, the most recent year for which figures are available."

Very impressive!

My impression (though I could be wrong) is that all the research money raised goes to the researcher(s), none to NORD, and that NORD just acts as non-profit clearinghouse.
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 04:23:06 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: 19/07/2009 19:12:18 »
Keeping POIS in perspective

I always thought it was one of the "cruelest" twists of fate that most of us spent years with POIS being misdiagnosed by physicians, for example, by being referred to a psychiatrist or psychotherapist, because, as many say, "POIS is all in our heads".

I thought "cruelest", that is, until I read yesterday about a NORD event speaker, one who has a rare disorder and was mistakenly amputated because of the physicians' misdiagnosis of the speaker's rare-disorder ailment.
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 19:33:26 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: 19/07/2009 19:32:30 »

Nice job guys,
Congratulations!!!!

Every day I type in google 'post orgasmic illness' to reach the forum. The first result is the forum's first page.

Thanks, Pronobis, for your well-wishing to all of us!

You wrote, "Every day I type in google "post orgasmic illness" to reach the forum."

Using the link below might be a little easier for you. It will bring you immediately to the very last POIS post you have read since your last visit.

In this way you can bypass the first POIS page and also bypass the clicking of the last page and then scrolling down to find the last post you have read:

1)  http://www.tinyurl.

2)  com/kvdhhz

Put 1) and 2) together. For some reason this system will not allow me to post the full link in one piece, so I typed it as two pieces.

Don't forget the "dot"  .  after "tinyurl"
« Last Edit: 19/07/2009 19:48:00 by demografx »

Offline EDS

• View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: 19/07/2009 20:48:26 »
Hello everyone!

Great job on getting this malady noticed and contacting organizations that may be able to help us!!

As promised, I am reporting back on the tests I had run with ZRT Labs. I selected the “Comprehensive Male Profile II” that includes saliva and blood spot testing.

I tested Cortisol in the following manner:
15 minutes before “O” at 10:00 pm –       result = normal @ 0.4 (range 0.4 – 1.0)
15 minutes after at 10:45pm –          result = low @ 0.2 (range 1.2 – 3.0)
The next morning - 9 hours after at 7:00 am –    result = low @ 3.3 (range 3.7 – 9.5)
The next evening - 23 hours after at 9:00 pm –    result = low @ 0.1 (range 0.6 – 1.9)

After reading so much about the possibility of Cortisol being part of the problem, I wanted to test before “O”, and then after, until I was well into full blown POIS (12-24hrs after for me).

As you can see from the results, I definitely don't have high Cortisol levels, but very low ones. The only one that was in range (barely) was the sample before “O” at 10:00 pm.

I sampled the blood spots 33 hours after “O” so I knew it would be as bad as it gets for me.
The blood tests results were as follows:

Estradiol –       result = high @ 58 (range 12 -56)
Testosterone –    result = low @ 342 (range 400 – 1200)
Ratio T/SHBG –    result = low @ 0.3 (range 0.7 – 1.0)
DHEAS –       result = normal @ 125 (range 70 – 325
SHBG –       result = normal @ 36 (range 15 – 50)
PSA –          result = normal @ 1.1 (range <0.5 – 4)
Free T4 –       result = normal @ 0.7 – 2.5)
Free T3 –       result = normal @ 3.4 (range 2.5 – 6.5)
TSH –          result = normal @ 3.0 (range 0.5 – 3.0)
TPO –          result = high @ 380 (range 0 – 150 w/70 being borderline)

I'm not sure what all of this means other than my Testosterone is definitely low and my TPO is very high. ZRT did send a note with the results that stated my Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) is elevated, indicating “Autoimmune Thyroiditis” - often referred to as “Hashimoto's Thyroiditis”. They say in the letter that this can lead to exhaustion of the adrenals and low Cortisol, which may explain the low Cortisol levels above. So even though I tried to provide good data on Cortisol, I may have another issue that makes those tests for the purpose of providing data for us POIS sufferers a moot one.

Of course, they did not mention my low Testosterone in the correspondence other than report the number. I guess they did not think it far enough outside the norm to address.

I will definitely follow up with my doc to see if I can get a referral to an Endo for validation and further testing.

Demo, I can't remember the “T” numbers you had before starting the patches. Can you tell me again what they were so I can compare. I'm thinking I may benefit from “T” therapy as well. After 30 + years of this hell, I would take any improvement... even 25 %... not to mention the 70 – 90 % you have experienced.

Thanks again everyone for keeping us thinking and testing as we try to figure this thing out!

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: 19/07/2009 21:02:44 »
Limejuice,
John inspired me and now I'm also trying yogurt diet - yogurt twice daily.
Remember that I had my success only after eating this once daily for over 6 months. I am glad you are going to eat it twice daily, this might help speed things up (assuming it will work). I would recommend you eat a low fat brand, and you might try to find one with Howaru in it, they list where it can be bought here. Good luck!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: 19/07/2009 22:00:03 »

Martin (or anyone else who remembers), I tried a number of Google searches of the forum and I just couldn't find the post about who it was that saved our posts or said that they could in the future. Maybe I used the wrong keywords ("back up posts server"). Any ideas? Anyone?
I just did an other backup it's more simple like that!

As promised, I am reporting back on the tests I had run with ZRT Labs. I selected the “Comprehensive Male Profile II” that includes saliva and blood spot testing.
Thank you EDS for your report. I'm a bit lost to see people with high testosterone or cortisol and then other with low values of the same hormones.
You said your tests were from blood spot and saliva do you know which one ?
If your results are confirmed by endo you can take a look at the following remedy to raise cortisol: Ribes Nigrum. Maybe it's not effective at all I don't know.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: 19/07/2009 23:36:46 »

I just did an other backup it's more simple like that!

Wow, Martin, thank you for doing that!!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: 19/07/2009 23:49:57 »

Brain Fog

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: 20/07/2009 00:18:36 »

Demo, I can't remember the “T” numbers you had before starting the patches. Can you tell me again what they were so I can compare. I'm thinking I may benefit from “T” therapy as well. After 30 + years of this hell, I would take any improvement... even 25 %... not to mention the 70 – 90 % you have experienced.

EDS, maybe this older post I dug up can help:

SOME TESTOSTERONE TESTING

Someone here asked me privately for my "free testosterone" testing results (much more was tested), so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else is interested:

Before POIS treatment:
(December 2, '08)
                                    reference range

%FREE T            1.47 %           1.5 - 2.2
FREE T             24.4 pg/mL        35 - 155

After POIS treatment:
(March 2, '09 after about 6 weeks of wearing T-patches)

%FREE T             1.45 %             1.5 - 2.2
FREE T              37.0 pg/mL          35 - 155

Free T jumped 50%, from 24.4 to 37.0.

Endocrinologist expects the numbers to keep increasing through June. If they don't, he'll switch me from Androderm T-patches 10mg daily to a pump gel to increase my testosterone.

« Last Edit: 20/07/2009 00:22:16 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4946 on: 20/07/2009 02:02:03 »
Does anyone here experience some POIS symptoms just after mild sexual stimulation?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: 20/07/2009 03:48:03 »
I am going to start this yogurt diet too, i will eat one yougurt a day.  Is yoplait + enough or should i get special one.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: 20/07/2009 03:49:38 »
goingcrazy i dont get pois symptoms from small stimu but i get it from not sleeping.
I thought of trying to to produce without the Big "O" to see if pois will come or not but i couldn't take risk.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: 20/07/2009 03:50:37 »
For those setting up backup do you need help. I am down.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4949 on: 20/07/2009 03:50:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length