The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454202 times)

Offline John21

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5050 on: 26/07/2009 20:22:09 »
B_Jim,
John21 and Goingcrazy :
Did you just add yogurts, not other changes in diet ?
I'm sceptic about probiotic yogurts because you have good effects so quickly! A study show probiotics can decrease anxiety for CFS sufferers but after 2 or 3 months! So probiotics is something serious. I think the culture is important, not all probiotics have the same effects (Lactobacillus casei in the study). Maybe counter effect of Pois on immune system ?
About blueberries/cranberries : good idea too.I tried blueberries during 2 months (supposed to help dopamine according a study... for rats :) ). No effects for me.
I wait next reports and I hope it will work again ;)

I have been eating the same type of yogurt daily with blueberries for about 9 months. A few months ago I added cranberries to the mix. I haven't made any other significant dietary changes. My recent success has happened within about the last month. I am surprised that GoingCrazy is reporting success with yogurt so quickly as well. Looking back I had a symptomatic episode in March after consuming yogurt daily for over 4 months. But perhaps somehow it is the yogurt.... hopefully we are on to something.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: 26/07/2009 22:14:39 »

Looking back I had a symptomatic episode in March after consuming yogurt daily for over 4 months.

Hi John, would you hazard a wild guess as to how that could happen if yogurt is still potentially a winner?

This whole probiotic/blueberry/yogurt thing is fascinating.

Offline mat780

• View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: 26/07/2009 22:47:52 »
Dear Demo,

Regarding the website… maybe we can start with something like the one Google gives us for free.

Follow the link:
http://www.google.com/sites/help/intl/en/overview.html [nofollow]

To create a website you need to have a Google account or need to create a new one.

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: 26/07/2009 23:10:36 »
2 points:

1. I think a few people confused Martin's  response to my test results with mine
and got them intertwined.

2.  I have had a vegetatarian diet( I eat milk' cheese Egg etc.) for 4 years and POIS for 32 so that cause-effect doesn't explain my condition.  You can't jump to conclusions w/o full information.   

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: 26/07/2009 23:19:49 »
2 points:

1. I think a few people confused Martin's  response to my test results with mine
and got them intertwined.

2.  I have had a vegetatarian diet( I eat milk' cheese Egg etc.) for 4 years and POIS for 32 so that cause-effect doesn't explain my condition.  You can't jump to conclusions w/o full information.   
Good to say Finally!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: 26/07/2009 23:29:34 »
To All:
You can go on this page to enter email addresses:
http://pois.vndv.com/email_list.php
All you have to do is to collect and enter as much addresses as you can and we'll contact them as soon as possible.
Thank you Demo for your help with english and suggestions(ex add phone number) and for the 3 email addresses you already entered!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: 26/07/2009 23:57:35 »

Martin, thank you, this is an important project. It will streamline our outreach and fundraising!

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: 26/07/2009 23:59:36 »
I believe I'm in the same boat as John21 now.  Today I O'd and experienced no POIS symptoms.  To make myself a believer I did it 2 more subsequent times and I am still experiencing no POIS symptoms.  I followed his plan for eating yogurt, I've been doing it for 2 weeks now, and just recently I ordered Threelac.  I've took about 7-8 packets of threelac up to date and all I can say is I feel like I finally beat POIS.  Usually I am in POIS immediately after orgasm... I just hope this feeling lasts.

*** make that 4 times...lol

So goingcrazy, are you sure which of the two helped? Both?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: 27/07/2009 00:05:25 »

Dear Demo,

Regarding the website… maybe we can start with something like the one Google gives us for free.

Follow the link:
http://www.google.com/sites/help/intl/en/overview.html

To create a website you need to have a Google account or need to create a new one.

Thank you, mat! This looks good, Google accounts are free.

At first, I thought it's complex to create a forum within a website. But maybe we can simply have a link from the website to this forum: I would imagine a forum posting capability like ours here is not as easy to create.

Any other thoughts?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: 27/07/2009 00:21:08 »
Demo,
Quote from: John21 on Today at 16:22:09

Looking back I had a symptomatic episode in March after consuming yogurt daily for over 4 months.

Hi John, would you hazard a wild guess as to how that could happen if yogurt is still potentially a winner?
This whole probiotic/blueberry/yogurt thing is fascinating

If yogurt has helped me it took a long time(over 6 months eating it once daily) to do it's thing. That was the reason I was speculating on the cranberries, because it was started more recently. But if yogurt will help our condition why did GC respond so quickly? I don't know, could his system be responding to the "treatment" quicker? Is his method better (with the Threelac)? It will take his extended success and that of others to convince me that we are on to something.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: 27/07/2009 01:54:03 »
Thanks EDS - you've doubled our research fund already  :)

Deserved praise for our ubermod Demografx too - please keep up the good work, we all appreciate it  :)

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: 27/07/2009 02:12:33 »
Does anyone here experience some POIS symptoms just after mild sexual stimulation?

yes.. anytime the muscle at the base of my manhood contracts resulting in that "feelgood" release of endorphins. It doesnt necessarily have to be a full-on orgasm where fluid is released to cause my POIS symptoms. This is why I believe that this POIS business is directly involved with whatever chemicals are released that provide the "feelgood" feeling of an orgasm. Amazingly you can look all over the internet and not find a complete rundown of ALL of the biochemical processes that take place during an orgasm.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: 27/07/2009 02:18:28 »
Does anyone here experience some POIS symptoms just after mild sexual stimulation?

yes.. anytime the muscle at the base of my manhood contracts resulting in that "feelgood" release of endorphins. It doesnt necessarily have to be a full-on orgasm where fluid is released to cause my POIS symptoms. This is why I believe that this POIS business is directly involved with whatever chemicals are released that provide the "feelgood" feeling of an orgasm. Amazingly you can look all over the internet and not find a complete rundown of ALL of the biochemical processes that take place during an orgasm.

Yes, mild stimulation will often send me into a mini-POIS episode which can last for a day or two. Even waking up with an erection can cause one of these mini episodes - it can be very frustrating.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: 27/07/2009 02:27:05 »

Deserved praise for our ubermod Demografx too - please keep up the good work, we all appreciate it  :)

Many thanks, hurray! Will work hard to keep deserving this lavish praise!

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: 27/07/2009 02:37:50 »
Market crashed, my old high paying job disappeared, now i'm making squat in a factory, but yeah I'd throw down $500 for research. I dont get to have sex with the beautiful females that walk this earth without my brain taking a vacation, so yeah half a grand seems like a small price to pay. You can be damned sure if I fell into a large sum of money it would go to finding a cure. I got 6 months at my new job until I can get insurance again to get all them tests done. I was planning on seeing an endocrinologist in January but I lost my insurance in October of last year, go figure =P I wish I had found this site years ago lol I'm fortunate tho my doc says as soon as I get insurance again he will send me to the Cleveland Clinic (if this new insurance company approves it, I am not to familiar with them).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: 27/07/2009 02:45:09 »

hurray   and   EDS   and   Defsync

For your incredible show
                               of good faith and early support
                           towards funding POIS Research!!!
« Last Edit: 27/07/2009 22:47:08 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: 27/07/2009 02:55:12 »

...he will send me to the Cleveland Clinic

Impressive endocrinology unit!
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/endocrinology/default.aspx

Defsync, with all the mud falling on you, you're holding up really well. An inspiration! 10% of that would have me moaning on the couch 24/7!
« Last Edit: 27/07/2009 03:00:30 by demografx »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: 27/07/2009 04:09:54 »
For a website, we could use an olympe-network, like we have for the survey.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: 27/07/2009 04:28:01 »
Marnia would be responsible for the content, maybe too much for her ? However if you talk about an other account different than "pois", all were taken last time I tried. This is why I had to change (for the email form.)
« Last Edit: 27/07/2009 04:40:24 by martin88 »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: 27/07/2009 04:40:51 »
I just want to post something I think about and am thankful for that goes against the grain of this thread but should be acknowldged.  POIS has given something to me that's made me absolutely a better person and that is dicipline.  Straight faced, no blinking, up most honesty - dealing with POIS has straigthened my self control and character.

I think it should be said for myself.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: 27/07/2009 05:57:25 »
I was reading about endorphins on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin). 

Look at this:
"Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise,[1] excitement, pain and orgasm,[2][3] and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being. Endorphins work as "natural pain relievers", whose effects may be enhanced by other medications."

An endorphin issue has long been suspected as a possible cause of POIS....  and we see the pituitary gland, orgasm, and endorphins are all connected.  This makes me wonder more about the pituitary adenomas...  (Just for reference: As far as I know, the best way to identify a pituitary adenoma is through a GAD contrast enhanced PITUITARY MRI (e.g. an MRI dedicated to the pituitary, not just a routine brain). ).

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: 27/07/2009 18:07:42 »
Marnia would be responsible for the content, maybe too much for her ? However if you talk about an other account different than "pois", all were taken last time I tried. This is why I had to change (for the email form.)

This last weekend, Mat780 volunteered to build a website, and he has already begun. I am working with him on it and we'll ask for review and input soon.

Thanks, Mat!
« Last Edit: 27/07/2009 18:15:40 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: 27/07/2009 18:10:55 »

I just bought some blueberries and blackberries! Never done that before. This group is surely influential!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: 27/07/2009 18:27:42 »

The problem for me is to find cranberries :/
 :( Only supplements, dehydrated fruit or juice. Very expensive ...

B_Jim:

"you can get cranberries in France. I'm sure you already know that they're called canneberge (sometimes called airelles des marais - although this is rare). You should be able to find them in your local Carrefour, or Eddy Lecelerc.
« Last Edit: 27/07/2009 19:19:19 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5074 on: 27/07/2009 18:31:41 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums