The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6444410 times)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5125 on: 30/07/2009 22:23:43 »
I went back to MD and again was told to take antidepressants. I refused 3 times. I explained all about POIS, that I can be well without antidepressants if I stay sexually abstinent etc.. It seems I have been taken seriously because she started talking about possible adrenal problem and I have been refered to 2 differents endo (I didn't ask for even one). Note that this MD never heard about POIS before, it was just based on my symptoms.
She said all my tests are normal including TSH..
She suggested to ask for a catecholamines test (I didn't ask her for this too) to the endo and to tell all my story like I did with her. Additional blood tests from hospital, in POIS day 3:
Total T: 10 (7.9-23.5)
SHBG: 23 (9-46)
T free cal: 217 (182-564)
T bio cal: 5.9 (4.4-13.6)

Offline mat780

• View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: 31/07/2009 00:24:01 »
Dear All,

Thank you!!! for this superb forum!!!
Such a great forum deserved to have its own website!

Remember to add to your bookmarks our brand new website. With time we will expand its content… and hopefully, one day we will add the solution to our problem!

Here goes one more time  ;)
http://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite [nofollow]

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: 31/07/2009 00:31:20 »
mat780

Very nice job

Congratulations and thank you

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: 31/07/2009 00:39:48 »

Mat, thanks once again! And thanks for the upbeat/optimistic conclusion of one day including POIS solutions!

I just sent you the changes you asked about.
« Last Edit: 31/07/2009 00:42:43 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: 31/07/2009 00:47:06 »

I went back to MD and again was told to take antidepressants. I refused 3 times. I explained all about POIS, that I can be well without antidepressants if I stay sexually abstinent etc.. It seems I have been taken seriously because she started talking about possible adrenal problem and I have been refered to 2 differents endo (I didn't ask for even one). Note that this MD never heard about POIS before, it was just based on my symptoms.
She said all my tests are normal including TSH..
She suggested to ask for a catecholamines test (I didn't ask her for this too) to the endo and to tell all my story like I did with her. Additional blood tests from hospital, in POIS day 3:
Total T: 10 (7.9-23.5)
SHBG: 23 (9-46)
T free cal: 217 (182-564)
T bio cal: 5.9 (4.4-13.6)

Martin, it's very encouraging how you turned the physician around from "it's all in your head", to taking you seriously!

We can all learn from this!

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #5130 on: 31/07/2009 00:51:50 »
wow the new site is looking awesome.. i think a doctor who is led to such a site would be quite amazed at how much research has been done by the sufferers here, and I doubt after chking the site out he could look a POIS sufferer in the face and say "its all in your head". great job!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: 31/07/2009 01:01:01 »

Nice work on the webpage!  Is there a link to this forum?

Thanks, Limejuice! Yes, the very first link is to this forum. We created a "tiny link" for better appearance.

And thank you B_Jim, Martin, Pronobis, Defsync, and THISFORUMROCKS!, for the positive feedback!
« Last Edit: 31/07/2009 01:04:41 by demografx »

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: 31/07/2009 13:46:06 »
It's been a loooooong time since my last post, sorry. I'm very humbled by all the work that has been going on in my absence, I think it will take at least a month just to catch up! Thanks Demografx (hero member!) for your messages trying to get back in touch with me. I have only just seen these even though the last was sent back in March.

I've just tried to fill out Counterpoints Survey which I'm sorry to say I haven't done up to now. However, when I clicked the link provided by demografx on p218 (wow 218 pages!) I received a message saying there is a serious problem with the file server. I shall try again later (hopefully the data is not in jeopardy).

For my part, I am still very much a POIS sufferer and hope this time I really can get back to being pro-active again. I'm afraid I slipped into a routine of just getting on with life and realise I have become guilty of a habit of appearing briefly on the forum and then disappearing again. But you guys have the right idea and motivation. Well done and humble thanks for continuing to fuel such a vibrant breeding ground for research, ideas, outreach, companionship and inspiration.

I hope to contribute more in future
Best to all,

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: 31/07/2009 20:44:16 »
Hi,

Good work with the website.  Please add a link to the survey: http://pois.olympe-network.com

Also, while I think the compendium is a good idea, and some great work has gone into it, it needs major revisions.  For example, listing "exercise" as unsuccessful is incorrect.... it has been moderately to highly successful, for several people.  I also think the subsequent orgasm effect, which has been mentioned many many times by me, and by other members also, should be described.... this is a very crucial observation. 

And there is no mention of the low sugar high protein diet, first described by B_Jim, which has probably been more generally successful than any other method we've discussed thus far.

Perhaps we should allow time for revisions of the compendium before public posting (I believe the currently uploaded compendium is the original version, and there have been many edits since then), or at least implement a wikipedia style system where edits are easy to make.  At the very least, I do not think it is presently in a state we should release to physicians and researchers.

In regards to the "show of hands" for a research study... we can get an idea of willing participants from the survey responses.  Those who filled out the survey have shown a willingness to take part in POIS research, and are reachable.  A second show of hands, (as is being done now), is still useful, to gauge current activity levels.... but it is worth mentioning we already have an estimate of this sort.

All the recent developments here are really encouraging. :)
« Last Edit: 31/07/2009 20:59:11 by Counterpoints »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: 01/08/2009 02:37:02 »

Hi,

Good work with the website.  Please add a link to the survey: http://pois.olympe-network.com

With Waldinger's paper, instead of giving it to anyone, I thought we'd create an incentive to join the forum here. So we're asking to first register at NSF (you need to in order to send/receive PM's), then send PM with regular email and PDF is returned.

Do you want to do that with the survey?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: 01/08/2009 02:55:34 »

It's been a loooooong time since my last post, sorry. I'm very humbled by all the work that has been going on in my absence, I think it will take at least a month just to catch up! Thanks Demografx (hero member!) for your messages trying to get back in touch with me. I have only just seen these even though the last was sent back in March.

I've just tried to fill out Counterpoints Survey which I'm sorry to say I haven't done up to now. However, when I clicked the link provided by demografx on p218 (wow 218 pages!) I received a message saying there is a serious problem with the file server. I shall try again later (hopefully the data is not in jeopardy).

For my part, I am still very much a POIS sufferer and hope this time I really can get back to being pro-active again. I'm afraid I slipped into a routine of just getting on with life and realise I have become guilty of a habit of appearing briefly on the forum and then disappearing again. But you guys have the right idea and motivation. Well done and humble thanks for continuing to fuel such a vibrant breeding ground for research, ideas, outreach, companionship and inspiration.

I hope to contribute more in future
Best to all,

mellivora, welcome back!

What a wonderful, inspirational tribute you wrote to this struggling group of naysayers! ;D (Nah, I'm just describing myself!).

You wrote, "I am still very much a POIS sufferer and hope this time I really can get back to being pro-active again."

I find that, since I became pro-active a couple years ago, it helped a lot. And it probably contributed to my finding a successful treatment. At first, I was simply not fond of the idea of visiting an endocrinologist and doing a bunch of bloodtesting! Getting involved here, well, made me feel like a hypocrite for not doing that!

And when I'm in POIS-misery (I haven't fully escaped POIS, the zookeeper wants me around for posterity), reading, posting and helping others, once again, helps.

Take a look at the new website! A work in progress...
http://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: 01/08/2009 03:53:39 »
A new photograph of Dr Waldinger was found on the internet:

Dr. Marcel D. Waldinger, neuropsychiatrist, Primary Investigator and author of the classic 2002 POIS Study. He has been in communication with our POIS Forum.

For a copy of his POIS study, send a private message to me with your regular email address and I will send you a PDF copy.

Marcel Waldinger, MD, PhD, is one of the leading PE (premature ejaculation) researchers in the world, and a staunch proponent of the neurobiological origin theory of the disorder.

Marcel D. Waldinger is a neuropsychiatrist and head of the Department of Consultative Psychiatry and the outpatient Department of Neurosexology at Leyenburg Hospital in The Hague in The Netherlands.

He is Associate Professor in Sexual Psychopharmacology at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences of the University of Utrecht in The Netherlands.

Since 1992, Dr. Waldinger treats and investigates premature ejaculation (ejaculatio praecox) and other ejaculatory problems. In 1997 he received his PhD on this subject.

His renewing ideas and studies have been published in various scientific journals and daily newspapers.

The outpatient Department of Neurosexology of the Leyenburg Hospital in The Hague has been the most specialized outpatient clinic for the treatment of premature ejaculation in the Netherlands and Europe for the last 15 years.

His new book, Premature Ejaculation: The New Neuroscientific and Drug Treatment Approach, May 1, 2009 is now available at Amazon.com as a signup for notification when it becomes available.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2009 04:37:32 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: 01/08/2009 03:56:33 »

Dr. Dave Schweitzer, co-author of the original 2002 POIS Study with Dr. Marcel Waldinger, also in touch with our forum here, since 1994 internist-endocrinologist in Reinier de Graaf Groep, Netherlands. His interest is mainly in hormonal diseases and diseases of the metabolism. He does research on the endocrinology of sexuality and seriously overweight. His work is published in international journals.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2009 04:38:23 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: 01/08/2009 05:02:01 »

I forgot to tell you about my blood test (made some hours after 2 orgasms). So according to reference values all hormones are normal, but my testosterone level is high . Do you think that's normal?
I read that decreasing level of testosterone results with a stress, the latter is the cause of some skin problems (as I have). If I have high testosterone level what could it be?  ??? ??? ???

Pronobis, I think that your physician is best equipped to answer this question, coupled with the rest of your medical history.

The link below might be a starting point for you, based on some searching for "high testosterone level in men", which is a fairly high-request search on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=high+testosterone+level+in+men&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Offline Danny_Boy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: 01/08/2009 10:56:11 »
Dear martin88,

I urge you to find some real information on hormones (preferably at newbielink:http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewforum.php?f=5 [nonactive]). If your doctor tells you, that you are fine because youīre "in the norm" and you trust him/her, you are making a mistake. There is a difference between normal and healthy ranges. Let me tell you, how "normal" is being constructed. You take, say, 150 people, take their blood, measure their hormones and design the range so that X% of those 150 people lie in that range. Obviously, this works fine, when the those sample people are healthy. When they are not and their hormonal levels are out of whack, you get a much wider range than you would get with healthy people. This is how it can happen, that 25 years ago a man was considered infertile when he had less than 100M spermia per ml of juice. Today, since the fertility rates are going down and the above described method is flawed, anybody having more  than 25M spermia per ml of juice is considered FERTILE! People suffering from thyroid disease are often told, that a TSH of, say, 2 is good, since the normal range is 0.XX - 4 (roughly). However, thyroid sufferers only feel good, when their TSH gets under 1.5 or so! When TSH is larger than that, they feel miserable independently on the type or quantity of medication. So, to sum this long article up..all of your testo is LOW! I didnīt see your thyroid labs, but FT4 should be in the upper third/quarter of the range to be healthy, TSH should be as low as possible (anything under 1 is superb). If you are from US, you are a lucky guy:) Contact Dr. John Crisler ( newbielink:http://www.allthingsmale.com/index.htm [nonactive]). He knows the difference between normal and healthy and has helped many men fighting testosterone deficiency.

For informational completenessī sake, I should add my personal experience with dieting. Low sugar, high protein, high fat diet is what keeps me going and strong. When I eat high carbo, not to mention vegetarian, diet, I get weak, tired, sleepy and depressed. Maybe, it all has something to do with high insulin (again donīt confuse normal and healthy), which is driven down by aerobic excercise that helps many folks here, including me.

I have read some discussions here on B vitamins. If you have homocystein above 6, you are probably low on B6 and or B12 and or folic acid. When it comes to good mood, which many people are fighting here to get, nothing helped me more, than the metabolized form of B6, namely P5P. A three month supply from Swansonīs costs $5. This is making me a very positive, funny and social type of person. Got me rid of depression in a week, when nothing helped (L-Thryptophan, 5-HTP..you name it).

I was wondering, what might have predetermined me to suffer from POIS and I would like to ask you guys, when you were babies, were you breastfed? I was prematurely born and I didnīt receive a single breast-feeding my entire life. BF makes the immune system strong (catching un on Coremanīs success with Alpha 20C for immunity), so maybe it is somehow involved in our problem. To test whether immunity has any effect on POIS, I will try two immune support products (EPICOR and Immunity essentials from Swansonīs) soon and report back with results.

All of you take care,
D.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: 01/08/2009 17:14:26 »

Hi,

With Waldinger's paper, instead of giving it to anyone, I thought we'd create an incentive to join the forum here. So we're asking to first register at NSF (you need to in order to send/receive PM's), then send PM with regular email and PDF is returned.

Do you want to do that with the survey?

I think the survey should be accessible to anyone (I don't want to risk losing any important info), although it might be useful to add a link in the survey to the forum, once the user has completed it.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: 01/08/2009 18:08:08 »

OH POIS, OH POIS, OH POIS      ;)

I have just recently checked out an excellent website and forum called The DEFINITIVE MIND. It was created by a
doctor/psychiatrist named Dr. Mariano, who is extremely knowledgeable about hormone balancing and nutrition.
What a rare and amazing thing! Especially for someone trained as a psychiatrist! I am totally pleasantly shocked. 

I'd heard about this doctor before, from an ex-POIS forum member who has healed himself of POIS, but I never really
investigated it any further until now. As I recall, I've also heard Demo criticize this doctor, and dismiss him with one
fell swoop, and now I really wonder what he was thinking!

Any doctor who knows hormones and nutrition as well as this one does, and volunteers his time to answer questions of
forum members FOR FREE is not someone that you want to write off without a second thought! There is really good info
on that site, especially regarding hormone balancing. I hope you all check it out for yourselves and see what I mean.   

The links for the home page, followed by the forum are posted below. All the best to all of you in your healing quests. 

http://www.definitivemind.com/
http://www.definitivemind.com/forums/index.php

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: 01/08/2009 18:51:09 »

I have just recently checked out an excellent website and forum called The DEFINITIVE MIND. It was created by a doctor/psychiatrist named Dr. Mariano...

Girlwind, I respect your knowledge about alternative
therapies, but I - and many other people - have serious reservations about Dr. Mariano and his controversial theories, which I have posted here.

As I mentioned in previous posts, I strongly encourage anyone to follow up with careful investigation before following any of his recommendations.

I don't wish to take any further time debating this.

Best wishes back to you, girlwind, in your healing quest!

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: 01/08/2009 19:05:40 »
I think that everyone has the right to chose for themselves what type of healing they want to pursue.
I am merely providing what I consider to be among the best information that I've found on the internet
regarding hormonal balancing--for your further investigation. It's up to you what you do with it.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: 01/08/2009 19:15:22 »

I agree, girlwind. Many thanks!
« Last Edit: 01/08/2009 19:19:10 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: 01/08/2009 21:05:52 »

The Placebo Effect

At least one person here said they don't really believe in "the placebo effect".

Here's a very interesting (and very short) video about it on WebMD:
http://www.webmd.com/video/placebo-power

Offline Danny_Boy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: 01/08/2009 23:35:24 »
B_Jim

I have to warn you about that I am experiencing some side effects. Recently, my teeth started being sensitive and the sensitivity goes up, when I increase my dosage. Copper has something to do with calcium, so maybe in the next days, I will stop anti-Cu things and hit calcium and see whether it gets back to normal or whether my teeth are caused by something else.

As far as I know, you would need to eat a ton of garlic to get the benefit of 1g MSM, which is one capsule. If you decide to try MSM, donīt take it with Mo, since they antagonize each other.

Good luck,
D.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: 02/08/2009 00:12:46 »

Hi,

I think the survey should be accessible to anyone (I don't want to risk losing any important info), although it might be useful to add a link in the survey to the forum, once the user has completed it.

OK, CP, it's in the works!

(I assume that you will take care of the survey link to the Forum. Please use the tiny url. It looks much better than the long, convoluted one). Thanks.

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: 02/08/2009 01:11:35 »

I forgot to tell you about my blood test (made some hours after 2 orgasms). So according to reference values all hormones are normal, but my testosterone level is high . Do you think that's normal?
I read that decreasing level of testosterone results with a stress, the latter is the cause of some skin problems (as I have). If I have high testosterone level what could it be?  ??? ??? ???

Pronobis, I think that your physician is best equipped to answer this question, coupled with the rest of your medical history.

The link below might be a starting point for you, based on some searching for "high testosterone level in men", which is a fairly high-request search on Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=high+testosterone+level+in+men&aq=f&oq=&aqi= [nofollow]

Thanks Demo,
I just wanted to know if it's same with you (or some of you). I don't think that my endoc is well informed about pois )))

Offline Pronobis

• View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: 02/08/2009 01:12:55 »
Is it possible to build this site in different languages?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5149 on: 02/08/2009 01:12:55 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length