The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6448473 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5350 on: 24/08/2009 04:26:04 »
I know I've probably said this before, and it may have been said plenty of times in the past.  Could this just be too much adrenaline released after sex?  Strangely I get the same symptoms of POIS after playing poker on the internet, which may attribute to the adrenaline idea.  Could explain recovery time too. 

Maybe we all just need to balance the adrenaline in our systems by keeping healthy.  Also I may have said in the past that I believe coffee caused this in me.  That would mean hormones, specifically adrenaline. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: 24/08/2009 05:06:24 »
Wow! This has been a great couple of pages of ideas flowing fast and furiously!

I gave up on Mantak Chia way too late, so I'm really glad to see the question marks around "loss of chi" as a POIS explanation.

Interesting about testosterone, which is my 75% cure.

And frequency of orgasm makes a lot of sense. It might be unhealthy for anyone...at some level of frequency, unique to the individual. Maybe I can be ok at not more than 2x/month, and you can be ok at not more than 2x/day. Even with effective treatment.

I also find Adderall helps superficially.

And I have now joined this peculiar POIS Club of occasionally POIS-free experiences (2 recently, first time EVER in 30 years that I can recall!) It was pointed out that positive mood (or to use the 60s expression, "set and setting") can do that. I believe that. Conversely, the guilt and other negativity recently colluded to give me one of the worst POIS episodes ever, even with the testosterone treatment. The part that I can explain best was excess frequency (for me).

John, my 2 POIS-free occasions must be your great influence! (For those newcomers who don't know, John21 bravely posted here for the first time over 2 years ago, thereby creating this forum - the "Genesis" of POIS as a forum). And, deservedly, he has recently "stumbled" on a number of consecutive POIS-free experiences, with no certain explanation!

POIS should be made The Eighth Wonder Of The World...but I'd rather see the Giza Pyramid.....POIS-free......
« Last Edit: 24/08/2009 05:26:56 by demografx »

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: 24/08/2009 06:08:04 »
I just realized that POIS symptoms closely resemble Lyme's disease symptoms: fevers, fatigue, brain fog, vision trouble, depression, and if I recall correctly some of you have inflammation problems. Consider the facts.
Eating carbs and sugar worsens symptoms. Carbs and sugar is what bacteria like Lyme eats.
Orgasms boost/strengthen the immune system. Lyme symptoms are mainly the over-activation of the immune system. Activated immune system therefore makes symptoms worse.

Just up for consideration.

-A POIS and Lyme sufferer

Offline CrazyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: 24/08/2009 06:37:17 »
I really agree with the different folks having different maximum frequencies for orgasming/ejaculating before POIS sets in with a vengeance.  In respect to the Taoists and other Eastern thinkers, they have found this out over the millennia....Mantak Cha laid it out in one of his books, actually giving a table that showed a person's age and the recommended frequency of letting go.  The older one gets, the less often, until after a certain age (somewhere in old age), one should just avoid orgasm and ejaculating at all costs.

I once remember hearing in conversation that the Japanese consider men being of two types: men with strong and men with weak chi...and they thought that the weak chi men shouldnt orgasm as frequently so as not to lose vital power.

This made me think about the difference between introverts and extroverts, having once read a book called 'The Introvert Advantage.'  Introverts have a sensitivity to dopamine it seems...

"Introverts have reactions to two neurotransmitters. They have a low tolerance to dopamine, the thrill-seeking neurotransmitter. Essentially, introverts need way less of this than do extroverts, and too much dopamine makes them anxious and eventually drained. For introverts, outside stimulation which increases dopamine levels is much like being tickled: not so bad at first, but it can escalate and become very stressful and uncomfortable. Introverts prefer the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which produces a feeling of calm and wellbeing. This neurotransmitter is raised during calm, reflective activities like reading or drawing."

I am introvert, and as the sex act definitely releases alot of dopamine, thought there might be a strange relationship between this and POIS....anyone else here an introvert?

Oh yeah, I also have used Adderall to great benefit...definitely seemed to curb many of the POIS symptoms when I took it.   Makes sense in many ways....

Offline wooder

• View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: 24/08/2009 07:49:05 »
interesting , what you say there

I am quite outgoing these days, though do think in my heart of hearts, I do prfer the company of a small group of freinds or just a freind to large groups, so would say that to some degree, recognise the experience of almost feeling feeling too up and feeling uncomfortable and anxious about how well life can be going sometimes

I forgot to mention, I have an autoimmune disease called Plummonary Sarcoidosis, which although dormant in many senses, may go some, way, to explaining the POIS

with everything others have said, about lyme disease and the immune system it kinda makes sense

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: 24/08/2009 10:43:11 »
CC,

John for how many weeks have you being doing that beautiful mix of your.

I'd guess around 5-6 months.

GC,
John21, thanks for your info. I have another question.   Do you ever "O" on your own and how many NE's did it take for you to feel non-POIS?  How long was that?
I transitioned to a normally chaste life a few years ago and I rarely O now, although I have once in these recent months, and even then I was non-POIS. I'm not sure about your second question, are you asking how many consecutive NEs make me feel non-POIS? If so I am POIS free after any NE.

I should mention that after one time I had an ever so slight throbbing of the neck glands, something that used to occur in POIS, but it was very minor and might have been unrelated. All of my "mental change" which was the devastating aspect have been non existant. I wish I knew more about what is going on, but my guess is bacterial or viral. I am hoping some of you try the cranberry thing.

Offline wooder

• View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: 24/08/2009 10:51:21 »
can't help but think that in many ways POIS symtpons are similiar to chronic fatigue syndrome but on a tempoary basis

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: 24/08/2009 14:06:04 »
I just realized that POIS symptoms closely resemble Lyme's disease symptoms: fevers, fatigue, brain fog, vision trouble, depression, and if I recall correctly some of you have inflammation problems. Consider the facts.
Eating carbs and sugar worsens symptoms. Carbs and sugar is what bacteria like Lyme eats.
Orgasms boost/strengthen the immune system. Lyme symptoms are mainly the over-activation of the immune system. Activated immune system therefore makes symptoms worse.

I was thinking the same thing.  I'm going to my doctor this friday to get blood tested, etc.  I really want to know what is wrong and I need to stop self-diagnosing myself.  I know many of you have been from doctor to doctor... I just really hope he does find something.

Right now I am in a 150% pois stage that doesn't seem to get any better, I am really just freaking out.  There would have to be no way that hormones can cause this feeling I am experiencing right now.

RhythmSpring,  are you being treated for Lyme? I saw in your post you are a Lyme and Pois sufferer.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: 24/08/2009 14:09:07 »
John21, what I was asking was about how many NE's did you experience before the next NE you had was non-pois?

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: 24/08/2009 14:30:39 »
B_Jim, I actually do have terrible inflammation symptoms, and I used to have terrible spiking fevers with chills, but that has slowed down since I've taken antibiotics.

goingcrazy, I am being treated for Lyme. I may have something close to late stage, so I'm taking 3 separate "antis" (antibiotic, antimicrobial, antibacterial, etc.)

Actually, looking back at my own health history, it seems that I've had POIS symptoms for as long as I now suspect I've had Lyme. That's about 3-4 years.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: 24/08/2009 15:00:22 »
B_Jim, I actually do have terrible inflammation symptoms, and I used to have terrible spiking fevers with chills, but that has slowed down since I've taken antibiotics.

goingcrazy, I am being treated for Lyme. I may have something close to late stage, so I'm taking 3 separate "antis" (antibiotic, antimicrobial, antibacterial, etc.)

Actually, looking back at my own health history, it seems that I've had POIS symptoms for as long as I now suspect I've had Lyme. That's about 3-4 years.

You don't know how bad I'm hoping to get diagnosed with Lyme disease this Friday

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: 24/08/2009 17:37:23 »

I know you don't want to give any medical advice or anything, because no one but medical doctors are..."qualified" to do so. But would you say taking Vitamin C for POIS would be a bad idea? I just purchased some in the hopes of boosting my immune system fight whatever is causing POIS, but you post made me think twice. Can you say anything else about that?

Note: This time around, I'm going to try relora on a daily basis, working up eventually to 3 a day. I'm also adding exercise after a NE. I'll report back on how it goes.

Offline CrazyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: 24/08/2009 19:00:37 »
there is a characteristic "bullseye" rash that occurs with lyme disease...did you ever see that on yourself RhythmSpring?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: 24/08/2009 21:43:20 »
Martin 88, have you ever noticed blureed vision because that is one of the symptoms of pitiutary extra growth.
Yes I noticed this symptom, specially in POIS, but I don't have this now since a long time. It seems it was triggered by excessive fruit juice intake + POIS.

I tried pycnogenol one full bottle without any success..
However the supplement acerola you mentionned was a bit helpful for my POIS. (very small doses otherwise I feel anxiety).
Perhaps something to do with this :
Human adrenal glands secrete vitamin C in response to ACTH  http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/86/1/145

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: 24/08/2009 22:11:21 »
GC,
[John21, what I was asking was about how many NE's did you experience before the next NE you had was non-pois?

I'm sorry I'm still confused about what you are asking. I have had many many many NEs in my life that produced POIS. It has only been recent that NEs have not produced symptoms. All of a sudden they stopped producing symptoms.

There have been other times in my life when I my symptoms seemed gone or at least improved, especially when I was experimenting with consuming garlic regularly, but later on symptoms returned leaving me unsure about that remedy.

Dean93,
I think anhedonia is a great way to describe the way I feel during POIS. I'm sure alot of other sufferers would agree.

Not for me, that is way too neutral. For me my symptoms were living hell: extremely uncomfortable mental shift with degraded short term memory, and resulting panic in attempt to appear to be functioning normally.
« Last Edit: 24/08/2009 22:23:38 by John21 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: 24/08/2009 22:35:27 »
I am hoping some of you try the cranberry thing.
I'm eating wild bluberries and added one supplement containing antioxydants from cranberries, blueberries and grape.
I suppose it will take more time to feel a positive effect.

Offline CrazyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: 24/08/2009 23:22:21 »
"...two brain chemicals, serotonin and beta-endorphin, tend to be lower in sugar sensitive individuals. These two chemicals can influence your mood and energy levels. They make us feel mellow, content, and even help block pain (Think of a “runner’s high). Having low levels of these chemicals results in feeling scattered, emotional, depressed, acting impulsively, and cravings sweets or refined carbs.

Eating sugar increases the release of these brain chemicals, but the effect this has in a sugar sensitive person can be dramatic. Sugar can make the sugar sensitive person feel giddy, confident, lively, talkative, and other symptoms similar to having too many alcoholic drinks!

When the brain becomes dependent on sugar, it wants (and needs) more in order to get those great feelings. The more sugar we eat, the more we want! It becomes a vicious cycle.

Eating sugar also spikes an insulin response; blood sugar levels sore and then eventually crash. Unstable blood sugar levels leave us irritable, moody, lethargic, and craving more sweets. And eating more sweets just exacerbates the unstable blood sugar levels– another vicious cycle.

The solution for sugar addiction, according to Potatoes, Not Prozac, is to raise serotonin and beta-endorphin in a healthier manner and steady blood sugar levels, all the while slowly weaning yourself off sugar."

--------------------

So I have had lifelong issues of overconsumption of sugars/sweets and would definitely go through withdrawal symptoms when trying to stop eating them...I remember hearing that many people who have had had psychotic breaks and ended up going on killing sprees were found to be chronic carb addicts, eating tons and tons of carbs as a way of life....just curious who else has/had this issue....just thining about it makes me want to go get some twizzlers :)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: 24/08/2009 23:42:08 »
You guys are drinking cranberry juice right? not eating raw cranberries.

John21, sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess what I am trying to say is since celibacy, how long did it take you for you to experience non-pois NE's?

I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to be tested for lyme, and/or other mysterious illnesses.

Hey guys, I have an idea, for all the NE sufferers, let's go buy needles and every 2 weeks drain some out of our testicles.  Lol  :D.  But, it may help.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: 24/08/2009 23:47:07 »
goingcrazy : Did you make an Elisa test for lyme ?

Hmm, not sure, just scheduled a regular doctor visit, but I will tell them to take blood from me and test for lyme or any other bacteria.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: 25/08/2009 00:19:05 »
GC,
Oh I have been celibate for a few years now, with some slipups and the occasional NEs. It's funny with me NEs come in sets, if I have one tonight then I'm bound to have another sometime soon. Could it be a "rewiring" from celibacy that is helping me? It is possible, but I am still guessing something in the cranberries. I wish Martin could get real cranberries where he lives, maybe other people can try it for a trial. Yes GC I eat the actual berry, I chop up frozen berries and put them in yogurt with frozen blueberries, this hides the sour taste.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: 25/08/2009 03:26:11 »

I know you don't want to give any medical advice or anything, because no one but medical doctors are..."qualified" to do so. But would you say taking Vitamin C for POIS would be a bad idea? I just purchased some in the hopes of boosting my immune system fight whatever is causing POIS, but you post made me think twice. Can you say anything else about that?

Note: This time around, I'm going to try relora on a daily basis, working up eventually to 3 a day. I'm also adding exercise after a NE. I'll report back on how it goes.

Hmm... I took vitamin C, didn't seem to benefit me or be unbeneficial.

Dean, Do you recommend exercise after an NE? Does it help you?

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: 25/08/2009 03:48:58 »
there is a characteristic "bullseye" rash that occurs with lyme disease...did you ever see that on yourself RhythmSpring?

The rash does not always happen, and can occur in places unseeable. I did not see a rash, but I have been bitten by various ticks in over the years.

Offline CrazyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: 25/08/2009 04:51:08 »
that's too bad that the rashes don't always happen...how could one ever know if they were bitten?...there are ticks everywhere!  :(

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: 25/08/2009 05:08:24 »
Martin 88, have you ever noticed blureed vision because that is one of the symptoms of pitiutary extra growth.
Yes I noticed this symptom, specially in POIS, but I don't have this now since a long time. It seems it was triggered by excessive fruit juice intake + POIS.

I tried pycnogenol one full bottle without any success..
However the supplement acerola you mentionned was a bit helpful for my POIS. (very small doses otherwise I feel anxiety).
Perhaps something to do with this :
Human adrenal glands secrete vitamin C in response to ACTH  http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/86/1/145

did you take pyconogenol at saturation level or just normal three times a day.

John 21 already started blueberry and cranberry, still need to go buy yogurt, this is third day.
hopefully it is the culprit bringing hope.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: 25/08/2009 07:56:08 »

Martin, that Nutrition Journal looks like an interesting resource.
« Last Edit: 25/08/2009 08:11:29 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5374 on: 25/08/2009 07:56:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums