The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6429366 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5400 on: 27/08/2009 00:43:31 »
how much does it cost to get tested for lyme disease? without insurance?

Hmm.. not sure.  I probably will get tested this Friday and if I find out how much it costs I will tell you.  I'm not the one that's going to be paying for it so it'll be a bit hard.

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: 27/08/2009 03:23:10 »
s non-pois?
Dean93,
I think anhedonia is a great way to describe the way I feel during POIS. I'm sure alot of other sufferers would agree.

Not for me, that is way too neutral. For me my symptoms were living hell: extremely uncomfortable mental shift with degraded short term memory, and resulting panic in attempt to appear to be functioning normally.
[/quote]

John, point taken. Would you at least call it one symptom of your POIS?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: 27/08/2009 03:54:38 »
-Confucius, unfortunately I don't remember the dosage I took for pycnogenol. Even if I took the right dose, everyone is different so maybe it will work for you. Also it's possible I didn't take it long enough to have a positive effect. Always best to do your own experiences.

-I mentioned a positive effect for POIS with acerola, I'm sure the effect was coming from this product, but I must add it was also containing small doses of green pepper, manioc, blackcurrant, lemon, raspberry, rosehip, magnesium stearate, and cane sugar..

-John just a matter of time to try real cranberries, good suggestion to get rid of the bitter taste!

-Interesting links between melatonin and pancreas:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15608359
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17914500
« Last Edit: 27/08/2009 05:07:12 by martin88 »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: 27/08/2009 07:04:24 »
Hey guys, anybody on a non-sugar diet?  I really do believe its bacterial, viral.  Probably not hormones because why would sugar take a bad affect on it?  For John21's diet, I think it's the cranberries doing the magical trick, I wish I could just buy some actual "cranberries", not just the juice. 

"... This suggests that to realize the antibacterial benefits of cranberry, one must consume cranberry juice regularly—perhaps daily."

^
      \
        --------  Pro cranberry website
« Last Edit: 27/08/2009 07:13:06 by goingcrazy »

Offline CrazyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: 27/08/2009 10:22:11 »
newbielink:http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/lyme.html [nonactive]

Good stuff to know about lyme disease

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: 27/08/2009 10:57:31 »
Dean93,
Would you at least call it one symptom of your POIS?

From MedicineNet:
Anhedonia: Loss of the capacity to experience pleasure. The inability to gain pleasure from normally pleasurable experiences. Anhedonia is a core clinical feature of depression, schizophrenia, and some other mental illnesses.

This does not accurately describe what I experienced. For me it's primary result was an uncomfortable downgrade in my cognative ability. It certainly wasn't pleasant, but any loss of ability to experience pleasure in life was secondary.
« Last Edit: 27/08/2009 10:59:15 by John21 »

Offline tom2009

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: 27/08/2009 14:48:37 »
Has anyone ever tried XTC or Cocaine? You see for some people the days after usage are fine, however there comes a point (for some it's after the first time they take it) that you end up in some sort of a crash, with a lot of the symptoms of pois. Especially the after effect of cocaine is very interesting, since cocaine, like sex/orgasm, heavily stimulates the mesolimbic dopamine circuitry in the brain. The neurotransmitters need to replenish in order to feel normal again, exhaustion, tremors, difficulty concentrating etc are normal for dopamine/serotonine lows. So far the purely physical aspects.

I too recognize many of the pois syndromes, and the solution has been abstinence from the classical form of orgasm. Believe me this has been difficult, quiting with certain behavioural patterns definetely feels like going through detox!! with the same effects; headache/insomnia/exhaustion/tremmers/ concentration disorder etc. I am a trained psychologist/sexologist and the following suggestion might sound strange since it lies outside of our conventional scientific paradigm, but the taoists of china/ the buddhists/ the gnostic church/ and the tantrists all consider sexual energy as our life force!! And sex is fine/ you can have as much sex as you like preferably with an opposite sex partner since it balances the energies, however 'the secret' of enourmous amounts of energy lie in conservation of sexual energy instead of throwing it away in a few spasms during a 'normal' ejaculation orgasm. I realize that this is for many people difficult to follow and perhaps sounds really rediculous, and it hasn't been scientifically established that you live longer if you change your orgasm (more about this in the recommended readings) but it works!

However the most difficult part is changing habits, and changing the way your lovemaking looks like from coitus based towards meditative sex (which for many people may sound boring, but believe me, once you have experienced these bodily orgasms where you conserve and build an energy supply, then you will never go back to the 'old' habits. These books go against our western model, but for me personally as well as in my practice as psychologist/sexologist they are of great value.

The multi orgasmic man
mantak chia and douglas abrams

The multi orgasmic woman
mantak chia and rachel carlton abrams

However these are 'advanced' books in the sense that you can really achieve results if you find personal training in these field (healing toa). And they operate very close to the orgasmreflex so it might be difficult to hold back and go beyond the point of no return.

As a basis one could perhaps best start with

Eros, consciousness and kundalini
Stuart Sovatsky

This follows the white tantric path (no ejacualation/ conventional orgasm) and can be used to return to a baseline of a transformation of sexual habits. To help achieve a zero baseline you can also find assistence in the SLAA community (sex and love addict anonymous) or any group that focuses on abstinence of certain aspects of your sexuality. 'Let me be clear i am not a supporter of a repressed moral of sexuality, on the contrary, i am trying to offer handhelds to chanal your sexual 'energy' in a healthy energising way. I am not trying to convince anybody because i have been following this path for almost five years and i know it works, it completely changed my life. I hope it can work for some of you as well.

Another interesting book
Don't call it love
Patrick Carnes
and
Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous
augustine fellowship.

Taoist secrets of Love, Cultivating Male Sexual Energy
Mantak Chia Michael Winn

(there is also one on female sexual energy.

Kind regards
Tom

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: 27/08/2009 18:37:06 »
Dean93,
Would you at least call it one symptom of your POIS?

From MedicineNet:
Anhedonia: Loss of the capacity to experience pleasure. The inability to gain pleasure from normally pleasurable experiences. Anhedonia is a core clinical feature of depression, schizophrenia, and some other mental illnesses.

This does not accurately describe what I experienced. For me it's primary result was an uncomfortable downgrade in my cognative ability. It certainly wasn't pleasant, but any loss of ability to experience pleasure in life was secondary.

Got it John, Thanks for you answers

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: 28/08/2009 00:35:39 »

'the secret' of enourmous amounts of energy lie in conservation of sexual energy instead of throwing it away in a few spasms during a 'normal' ejaculation orgasm.

Tom, I diligently followed Mantak Chia's non-ejaculatory methods and spoke to him in Thailand and New York (telephone).

I succeeded in following his method, but was still ravaged by POIS. I believe that this occurred because the ejaculate is diverted to the bladder, and then empties with normal urination.

So while it's not visibly released upon orgasm, the same thing occurs, just in slightly altered form.

I have suffered the agony of POIS for over 30 years. At one time, I was a firm believer that the "loss of chi" was a 'culprit', for the reasons you point out as well as the myriad traditions that have supported it for millennia.

But my current experience with extensive hormonal testing and daily testosterone replacement therapy seem to invalidate the concept, at least for me. Depending on the episode, I will get 75% to 90%+ relief from POIS symptoms, and I have been on this therapy now for 8 months.

Others here have also gotten some relief from relora, fenugreek, garlic, ED drugs and other methods.

As you pointed out, the "cultivation of male sexual energy" has no empirical evidence. Perhaps we have advanced from the early days of those theories, when none of the modern tools were available, e.g., fMRI's and other tests, hormonal testing and hormonal treatment and other powerful drugs that affect faulty neurotransmitters and other psychosexual and physiologically related components.

And even today, the science of orgasm is in its infancy.

And perhaps the answer lies in a combination of Western/Eastern perspectives: e.g., "normal" fatigue might be 'loss of chi' (Eastern), but everyone here with POIS goes WAY beyond the norm, even if they 'release' only once a year!(Western)

I do remain open, however, as I'm sure others here are. Many thanks for your posted thoughts.
« Last Edit: 28/08/2009 02:24:20 by demografx »

Offline CrazyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: 28/08/2009 02:05:07 »
I too have much experience with non-orgasmic/ejaculative sex...however a major issue with that is possible fluid congestion in the epididymis and vas deferens, as well as increased chance of prostate issues.  There was study of priests and other celibates which showed higher rates of prostate cancer among those who ardently practiced no sexual activity.  In my own personal experience, after practicing seminal retention for over a year, I ended up with chronic abacterial prostatitis.  Whether it was caused by the sexual practices is debateable as I have no proof, however, it is highly likely.  I do like the recommended frequency practiced in Karezza - every 2 weeks you can orgasm/ejaculate.  Seems to be pretty safe as far as non-aggravation of POIS symptoms.  However I have read many accounts on this thread which indicate serious effects with even that infrequent of a schedule.  As always the best treatment for this problem clearly involves a holistic approach: nutrition, muscular exercises, avoidance of frequent orgasm, sexual practices, possible use of medication, and psychological reconditioning.

I do believe that POIS is caused by orgasm and orgasm alone, as I have occasionally ejaculated while successfully stopping orgasm from occurring and found no POIS aggravation, as well as staying erect and being able to continue sex. 

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: 28/08/2009 11:01:26 »
CrazeyFox,
There was study of priests and other celibates which showed higher rates of prostate cancer among those who ardently practiced no sexual activity.

Can you provide details on this study? In my understanding there has historically been no association between incidence of prostate cancer and celibacy.

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: 28/08/2009 12:26:52 »
Hello all,

sorry for not being active for so long....i've been busy moving to China were I'll be for the next year or so teaching.  Since I haven't been able to keep close track of the forum, has any new worthy theories/methods that could be added to the compendium emerged? 

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: 28/08/2009 16:47:50 »
Hey Guys, Just wanted to say,  Extreme Success with 100% cranberry juice.  I bought 2 containers of it and yesterday I drank the first container within the day.

Shockingly I woke up in the middle of the night and felt like I was going crazy and about to throw up.  I had a dream last night about some planet x show I was watching on tv, woke up and just walked around for 5 mins still thinking that my dream was real.  But the best thing is that my POIS "mood" was gone... totally from the left hemisphere and left back of my brain.  The only part of my brain that is still in "POIS" mood is the back right of my brain.  I haven't felt this normal in years.

I really feel like we are on to something here.  Maybe cranberries are the cure... maybe this thing is bacterial.  All I can say is I feel 3 times as smart as I did yesterday and no bad moods/headache/anxiety (except for the back right).  This is really rediculous and shocking.  Hopefully tonight the cranberries will finish the job.

... I'll post back tomorrow when I finish the second container of juice... Can Cranberries really be the cure?
« Last Edit: 28/08/2009 16:56:16 by goingcrazy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: 28/08/2009 17:47:49 »

Pyro, will you still be able to connect to this forum from China?

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: 28/08/2009 19:34:40 »
Congratulations :) . That's possible dispite my opinion is that's not viral or yeasts (too fast, like sugar). My opinion is these fruit are blocking the inflammation cascade.
Cranberry only has particular hormones effect (increase HDL, cytochrome P450) too.
And don't forget cranberry and blueberry are source of resveratrol. (=> Coreman)

I create a cranberry/blueberry part in experimentations.

Of course, you must continue the test during 2 or 3 months to eliminate placebo effect.
John21 and you are currently testing this. Probably me next week.

You said "1 container of cranberry juice a day" ? I don't know how much juice it is  [B)]  33cL ?  Before , after orgasm ?

---

Welcome back Pyro. Nothing at the moment but soon .We're always testing different things :) Always closer to the cure :)

The cranberry juice I'm taking is 64 fluid ounces, Apple & Eve 100% Juice.  Right now I feel like if I orgasm no POIS would occur.  The only feeling like I've said before is a POIS feeling in the back right of my head.  I do absolutely believe it is bacterial/viral.  Last time I "O'd" was last saturday.

I haven't felt this normal in 2-3 years, (at least on the left half of my brain).  I feel absolutely normal on that half, clear thinking, pretty much perfect.

What angers me is I went to the doctors today and he basically said that nothing would cause this feeling.  He believes it's hormones.  He told me that there is no bacteria that could be affected by orgasm but I strongly disagree.  You have to experience POIS to actually feel what is going on in your head.  Just rediculous, like he thought I was joking.  I told him about the cranberry and he still thinks its "in my head".

Hopefully no "placebo" affect,

I say to go try it for yourselves, drink as much cranberry as you can!

I will post back
« Last Edit: 28/08/2009 19:39:36 by goingcrazy »

Offline wooder

• View Profile
« Reply #5415 on: 28/08/2009 20:10:56 »
Congratulations :) . That's possible dispite my opinion is that's not viral or yeasts (too fast, like sugar). My opinion is these fruit are blocking the inflammation cascade.
Cranberry only has particular hormones effect (increase HDL, cytochrome P450) too.
And don't forget cranberry and blueberry are source of resveratrol. (=> Coreman)

I create a cranberry/blueberry part in experimentations.

Of course, you must continue the test during 2 or 3 months to eliminate placebo effect.
John21 and you are currently testing this. Probably me next week.

You said "1 container of cranberry juice a day" ? I don't know how much juice it is  [B)]  33cL ?  Before , after orgasm ?

---

Welcome back Pyro. Nothing at the moment but soon .We're always testing different things :) Always closer to the cure :)

The cranberry juice I'm taking is 64 fluid ounces, Apple & Eve 100% Juice.  Right now I feel like if I orgasm no POIS would occur.  The only feeling like I've said before is a POIS feeling in the back right of my head.  I do absolutely believe it is bacterial/viral.  Last time I "O'd" was last saturday.

I haven't felt this normal in 2-3 years, (at least on the left half of my brain).  I feel absolutely normal on that half, clear thinking, pretty much perfect.

What angers me is I went to the doctors today and he basically said that nothing would cause this feeling.  He believes it's hormones.  He told me that there is no bacteria that could be affected by orgasm but I strongly disagree.  You have to experience POIS to actually feel what is going on in your head.  Just rediculous, like he thought I was joking.  I told him about the cranberry and he still thinks its "in my head".

Hopefully no "placebo" affect,

I say to go try it for yourselves, drink as much cranberry as you can!

I will post back

is that made from concentrate or 100% natural cranberries and blueberry jucie you are drinking

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: 28/08/2009 20:13:58 »
wooder, it is made from concentrate I believe, just look for Apple & Eve 100% juice  Cranberry flavor, it also says it includes some pear, apple, etc. in it but mainly "pressed cranberry" juice.

Offline CrazyFox

• View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: 28/08/2009 20:33:17 »
"Can you provide details on this study? In my understanding there has historically been no association between incidence of prostate cancer and celibacy."

Maybe it was just an urban myth....I could have read just the wrong thing and been influenced by it...it would possibly make sense that if one was having sexual thoughts and prostatic fluid was accumulating and not being released that it could cause problems.  I only found one study that looked into this and it found no relationship.  Perhaps it all depends on the level of true celibacy - after all one can be physically celibate, but not mentally.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: 28/08/2009 22:11:53 »

wooder, it is made from concentrate I believe, just look for Apple & Eve 100% juice  Cranberry flavor, it also says it includes some pear, apple, etc. in it but mainly "pressed cranberry" juice.

It didn't work. I stared at the Cranberry Juice for hours. (It said "concentrate").  :)

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: 28/08/2009 22:38:15 »
Haha thanks for the laughs Demo!

The whole cranberry thing is very exciting...I checked at a store and I couldn't find fresh or dried cranberries.  As for the juice, is it standard for the juice to be 100%, or do you really have to search for it?

Thanks

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: 28/08/2009 22:50:09 »
Nice Demo!

I'd suggest take it easy on the cranberry juice - 1/2 gallon a day is excessive.  Remember there are cranberry pills for high dosage.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: 29/08/2009 00:10:21 »
Nice Demo!

I'd suggest take it easy on the cranberry juice - 1/2 gallon a day is excessive.  Remember there are cranberry pills for high dosage.

Yeah, like my parents said, Don't OD on it... Haha but I'd rather take a risk for OD-ing to curing POIS anyday.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: 29/08/2009 00:11:33 »
"Drinking cranberry juice in large quantities can cause diarrhea and stomach upset. Cranberry contains relatively high levels of oxalate, a substance that may increase the risk of kidney stones in people who are at risk for this condition. Cranberry should not be used as a substitute for antibiotics during a serious UTI. Cranberry juice may decrease the effectiveness of antacid medications. Cranberry juice may increase the absorption of proton pump inhibitor drugs. Cranberry shouldn't be used as a substitute for an antibiotic in acute infections. Patients with diabetes should use sugar-free cranberry products."

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: 29/08/2009 00:13:53 »
I couldn't help myself so I O'd 3 times today, so far no bad affects,  but the back right of my brain is still in a bad mood.

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: 29/08/2009 00:48:32 »
I do believe that POIS is caused by orgasm and orgasm alone, as I have occasionally ejaculated while successfully stopping orgasm from occurring and found no POIS aggravation, as well as staying erect and being able to continue sex. 
Wait, really? You've ejaculated while stopping orgasm? Or do you mean that you've orgasmed while stopping ejaculation. How do you ejaculate without orgasming??

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5424 on: 29/08/2009 00:48:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums