The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6461722 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5450 on: 01/09/2009 00:55:03 »
another note, when I had this uplifting experience I ate very little, like in detox they even tell you not to eat anything and just go on drinking cranberry juice for 3 days... I'm not going to follow that, it might just take a bit longer if you eat while drinking cranberry juice.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: 01/09/2009 01:32:09 »
wooder, and tom2009, a belated welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send me a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 350,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 02/09/2009 03:16:57 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: 01/09/2009 01:34:23 »

wooder, and tom2009, this post might help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: over 2 years' worth of posts from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found on the Internet, but not on this forum.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2009 23:54:11 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: 01/09/2009 01:45:40 »
"cranberries can also help the body rid itself of parasites"

Holy Moly!  Even if we do cure ourselves with cranberry, we are still never going to know what caused it!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: 01/09/2009 05:56:58 »
I've taken a mix of cranberry supplements and frozen berries the past week.  Last night I NE'd and today I felt some symptoms of POIS. The symptoms weren't as harsh as typical POIS but NE's tend to be less server anyhow.  Tonight and tomorrow will be a good illistration for it's effectiveness.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: 01/09/2009 06:42:33 »
I've taken a mix of cranberry supplements and frozen berries the past week.  Last night I NE'd and today I felt some symptoms of POIS. The symptoms weren't as harsh as typical POIS but NE's tend to be less server anyhow.  Tonight and tomorrow will be a good illistration for it's effectiveness.

I just went out and got 1.89L of cranberry juice, not other juice in it, from concentrate.... we'll see....

PS.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: 01/09/2009 20:12:10 »
I started the cranberry regime.
bought concetrate no other juice concentrate and bout cranberry pills standardized extract.
this first two days.
day 0 - O'd twice
drank lots of concentrate
used three cranberry pill.
one pill and juice before o'ding   

symptoms
- wierd feeling in head dissapeard in minutes
- memory/recalling not to bad
fatigue - slight
- head does not feel complete
cognition - okay but not comparable to normal
concentration - good   
socialization - still bad

day 1
fatigue - morning fatigue but later fatigue not bad
memory/recalling - still bad
cognition - okay
concentration - better but no dynamic follow up.
socialization - still bad

genral conclusion -  cranberry not really helpful, helps only in reduction of fatigue.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2009 20:14:02 by CCconfucius »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: 01/09/2009 20:12:35 »
i will post on how cranberries affect me untill recovery.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: 01/09/2009 21:33:42 »

Socialization

OK, I'm going to add my 2 cents worth of amateur psychology here. :)

I think we've been conditioned heavily by Western society to be social animals.

One estimate puts the "socializing" population at 75%, and the "loner" population at 25%. The majority 75% have somehow pressured the minority - intentionally or unconsciously - to believe that preferring to read a book is somehow inferior to hanging with friends.

Personally, I've been feeling much better by looking at this balance of socialization vs. independent-pursuits more closely. Just thought I'd share that with you since the issue comes up often in relation to POIS effects.
« Last Edit: 01/09/2009 21:38:34 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: 01/09/2009 23:51:05 »

Limejuice, looking forward to your update!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5460 on: 02/09/2009 00:30:48 »

Socialization

One estimate puts the "socializing" population at 75%, and the "loner" population at 25%. The majority 75% have somehow pressured the minority - intentionally or unconsciously - to believe that preferring to read a book is somehow inferior to hanging with friends.

Personally, I've been feeling much better by looking at this balance of socialization vs. independent-pursuits more closely. Just thought I'd share that with you since the issue comes up often in relation to POIS effects.

I completely agree Demo.  I think Americans talk like they have two mouths and one ear.

However, in POIS I feel completely unsocial.  My personality becomes different and I am less social and can't think through social situations.  It seems social situations require understanding and empathy to build relationships but in POIS I feel apathy (no emotion).  It's almost impossible to connect.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: 02/09/2009 01:30:00 »

Socialization

I completely agree Demo.  I think Americans talk like they have two mouths and one ear.

However, in POIS I feel completely unsocial.  My personality becomes different and I am less social and can't think through social situations.  It seems social situations require understanding and empathy to build relationships but in POIS I feel apathy (no emotion).  It's almost impossible to connect.

Yes me too, feel very anti-social during POIS times, very withdrawn and ZERO ambition!

Just bought cranberry extract pills to try also, anything for science :-)

PS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: 02/09/2009 02:04:56 »

general conclusion -  cranberry not really helpful, helps only in reduction of fatigue.

I think 2 days is way too early to tell. I would think it takes the body 60 days or so to acclimate.

Anyone else have a thought about that?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: 02/09/2009 02:16:03 »

I think Americans talk like they have two mouths and one ear.

;D                ;D                ;D

In POIS I feel completely unsocial.  My personality becomes different and I am less social and can't think through social situations.  It seems social situations require understanding and empathy to build relationships but in POIS I feel apathy (no emotion).  It's almost impossible to connect.

Yes me too, feel very anti-social during POIS times, very withdrawn and ZERO ambition!

Absolutely agreed. In POIS, it feels like an anaesthetic coating around my emotions.

But I think - for me, anyway - and I suspect others - the undue societal pressure to socialize and in PS's case, the pressure to be ambitious adds a huge layer of guilt that makes us feel worse than we need to in POIS! POIS can be disgustingly difficult enough without having to add another layer of pain!

As my now retired psychiatrist-friend says, "In POIS, expect less of yourself". And, I would add, with no berating self-judgement!
« Last Edit: 02/09/2009 04:19:25 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: 02/09/2009 02:45:10 »

CC, it sounds like you started your own government and army :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: 02/09/2009 04:03:55 »
De France?

OK, are you ready for this one? Here's a drink I bought today. An energy/performance booster. From France, per the retailer. No caffeine (I'm off caffeine over a week now, so this looked like a good idea). It was pretty good. Expensive ($3.20)....But the name! ;D 

And guess what? No POIS afterwards! :)
« Last Edit: 02/09/2009 21:50:16 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: 02/09/2009 06:56:57 »
Yeah I agree. A little pressure is a lot of effort in POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: 02/09/2009 21:51:42 »

Sometimes just lifting a finger in POIS can be difficult.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: 03/09/2009 00:58:01 »
This morning I lifted a finger and immediately went back to bed.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: 03/09/2009 01:17:49 »

am going to need them if ever go back to doctors office, they are killing me.

that drink looks crazy good and has bet name for pois.

CC, it sounds like you started your own government and army :)
« Last Edit: 03/09/2009 01:22:16 by CCconfucius »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: 03/09/2009 01:28:12 »
I was going to update on cranberries
concentration - better still needs some help, still way better than pois
memory/recall  - imporoved but still lagging but way better than pois
fatigue - totally gone/ day 2 is my worst day in pois and today i woke up good (9hrs sleep) lifted weights for an hour and played basket ball for 30mins and pinpong for 1hr 30 mins and felt fantastic.
cognition - improved alot. but not there yet
socialization - simple i cracked jokes, never happens in pois. 
mood - fantastic

Overall cranberry might be where i am putting my money. I will say 70-80% improvement.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: 03/09/2009 01:33:12 »
I was going to update on cranberries
concentration - better still needs some help, still way better than pois
memory/recall  - imporoved but still lagging but way better than pois
fatigue - totally gone/ day 2 is my worst day in pois and today i woke up good (9hrs sleep) lifted weights for an hour and played basket ball for 30mins and pinpong for 1hr 30 mins and felt fantastic.
cognition - improved alot. but not there yet
socialization - simple i cracked jokes, never happens in pois. 
mood - fantastic

Overall cranberry might be where i am putting my money. I will say 70-80% improvement.

Awesome, as I say right now all I have is a bit of the brain fog that occurs 4-5 day after O'ing, that is my main problem.  All of the bad moods didn't occur with the cranberry.  The brain fog is lifting, just hopefully it will not come back the next time I "O".

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: 03/09/2009 03:33:13 »
I pulled a goingcrazy and polished a 32oz. Glucose levels a solid...first time in yoons (that's a year worth of moons). I'll check back.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: 03/09/2009 03:47:08 »

Limejuice, you did a bloodtest for glucose?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: 03/09/2009 10:39:00 »
I am very happy to hear some positive feedback on cranberries. I want to echo what Demo said, that it might be much better to consume it daily for months before expecting it to work to full potential. Still, I am encouraged that these results will prompt such longer term trials. Perhaps a permanent item on the grocery list?  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5474 on: 03/09/2009 10:39:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums