The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6430761 times)

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5525 on: 09/09/2009 20:01:45 »
the part that say's ***** is poke

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: 09/09/2009 21:14:43 »
Good eye pyropeach; my new theory for the compendium has emerged and here it is:

POIS is a form of Encephalitis or Encephalomyelitis. It is only the cause of what triggers this form of Encephalitis or Encephalomyelitis that differentiates it from other more common or recognized forms of this problem.

P.S. Any efforts to debunk or applaud this theory are welcomed

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: 09/09/2009 21:22:50 »
why does orgasm trigger the symptoms Encephalitis

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: 09/09/2009 21:42:22 »
i guess a immune response from an antigen released during orgasm could cause inflammation of the brain(Encephalitis)

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: 09/09/2009 22:46:56 »
GC
John21, have you orgasmed without NE to see if you are cured?

Due to my faith I became chaste in obedience to the Catholic Church. My chastity could be contributing to my lack of symptoms post-NE, but I am not convinced of that. I have been (normally) chaste for a few years now during which I have definitely experienced POIS following both NE and O, but whether time has recently made things well remains to be seen. I too would like to have more insight into my current condition but I am reluctant to go there. I have confessed masturbation enough already. :D

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: 09/09/2009 23:07:35 »
Good eye pyropeach; my new theory for the compendium has emerged and here it is:

POIS is a form of Encephalitis or Encephalomyelitis. It is only the cause of what triggers this form of Encephalitis or Encephalomyelitis that differentiates it from other more common or recognized forms of this problem.

P.S. Any efforts to debunk or applaud this theory are welcomed

I think we really just need some thorough scientific research done, we can go on theorizing for eons.  I think I have been just digging myself a deeper hole self-diagnosing myself.  I read about encephalitis and it says symptoms may last about 2-3 weeks.  It also says symptoms such as fever and/or paralysis, which I don't have.  Have you been tested for Encephalitis?

also, to the people who test the various methods of pois cures, by having 5 o's in a row, i applaud you.  5 o's in a row would most likely send me into shock, i would be airlifted to Harborview Hospital, where i would most certainly die a most torturous death.

Haha, well those 5 O's did come at a price.  I'm dealing with the late POIS right now.  Weird how my symptoms were delayed a few days.
« Last Edit: 09/09/2009 23:10:45 by goingcrazy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: 09/09/2009 23:14:56 »

John21, have you orgasmed without NE to see if you are cured?  You don't have to if your really not ready I don't want to stunt your progress.  I'm really thinking long term celibacy is the key.  Maybe our brain chemicals are imbalanced and doing this leads to this type of reaction.  I was reading and it said it takes about 6-12 months to fully balance brain chemicals, and an out of balance brain seeks for short thrills that pay badly in the long term (orgasm).  If one thing helps us, it sure is staying away from orgasm.

I agree. But personally, I have simply been unable to pull it off (no pun intended)in 30+ years of trying. 60 days max. And then POIS is just as bad, and often much worse.

POIS tends to be better after I wait at least 2 weeks, than I can handle about 1 orgasm.  I'm strictly only O'ing on NE's now.  But my current theory is that my body is in down-production of neurotransmitters, making me feel terrible after orgasm and having to replace these neurotransmitters is just a hassle for it.  30+ years does make me feel skeptical of this idea but maybe its either that idea or we need to rewire our brains by exercise, eating healthy, etc.  Maybe one day all will be fine.

http://evenstaronline.com/articles/top10brainop.html

# 10 is interesting

"When the baseline brain chemistry changes you are less subject to day to day drastic swings." <-- 6-12 months, day to day drastic swings meaning orgasm?
« Last Edit: 10/09/2009 02:05:35 by goingcrazy »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: 10/09/2009 05:14:02 »
As a child I has encephilitus.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: 10/09/2009 05:27:00 »

30+ years does make me feel skeptical of this idea [of celibacy]

GC, that's just me and my body chemistry. Maybe others are different. SteveD claimed he was celibate for 18 years. And I think John has been successful over long periods.

One of our forum members PM'ed me and wrote that my problem is...being a musician. Too much passion...who knows? :)

Offline Taz

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: 10/09/2009 06:20:01 »
Hi I'm new, I was very interested in testing specific hormones one at a time after O'ing. How do I go about organising this? Thanks Lauracostis your approach is narrowing down the variables, this is what is really needed.
I've just started my cranberry trial and I think it has some real positive effects. After O'ing in the weekend I have taken cranberry juice, cranberry pills, cranberry's and a men's multi every day. I have felt confidence, semi social, alert similar to coffee without bad sleep side effects. I still had a very bad head ache and still felt some dizziness how ever not as bad as normal. I'm also feeling very calm which is very different to my high anxiety after POIS. For me I normally am very angry and frustrated because I just cant function effectively after POIS how ever I'm now calm and very rational. I have no understanding of the science behind POIS but cranberry's seem to be positive.    

Quote Lauracostis

i have been keeping up with the post since i first found it, and i have seen some good ideas come about. but i think these are all secondary illness's caused by a primary problem which is most likely the theory about hormones.  from peoples endocrine test, it appears that all the levels are pretty much with in normal range.  this suggests that we have normal homeostasis of hormones but, one is an antigen(antagonist of the body) in are body and is causing massive havoc. the best method i can think of is to test the hormones released after orgasm one at a time.  if one of the hormones causes pois, than we have found the problem and can start to solve it. that's if a doctor lets someone experiment with hormones.manually putting the "poison" in our body will give us concrete evidence if one causes pois.  this will be just like a allergy test, where they ***** your back with a possible allergen, and then wait for a reaction[/i][/i][/i]n.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: 10/09/2009 06:25:44 »

pauliebaby61 and Taz, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/poiswebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send me a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for over 2 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 350,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: 10/09/2009 06:27:02 »

pauliebaby61 and Taz, this post might help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: over 2 years' worth of posts from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found on the Internet, but not on this forum.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: 10/09/2009 06:41:00 »

From peoples endocrine test, it appears that all the levels are pretty much with in normal range.  this suggests that we have normal homeostasis of hormones but, one is an antigen(antagonist of the body) in are body and is causing massive havoc.

My "T" was not in normal range. Endocrine tests showed low testosterone levels, so my endo put me on TRT (daily 15mg patches).

Over eight months into treatment, I now have 75% to 90% relief of POIS symptoms per episode.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2009 08:02:29 by demografx »

Offline pauliebaby61

• View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: 10/09/2009 14:32:46 »
Testosterone does not help my pois. im on shots 2x a wk and my level is 789 but still have the symptoms after orgasms. I also take an estradoil blocker now, becuase T converts rapidly into estrogen. my level was 105 a year ago, so i assumed thats why i felt so bad after orgasm. It wasnt the answer. Im a 47 yr old male.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2009 01:56:27 by demografx »

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: 10/09/2009 14:45:36 »
The testicles release hisamine at orgasm

Where did you find this out?! Please let me know as it may lead to another theory and shed light on another piece to this puzzle.

As for the Encephalitis thing...it seems more raw data is needed before we could declare it another one of our theories.

Offline pauliebaby61

• View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: 10/09/2009 16:27:23 »
My lyme dr, [Dr. Domminck Braccia, D.O. from Haverford, Pa. ph # 610-924-0600] was trying to help me with this'fatigue after orgasm' problem [thats what i called it] and told me he felt it could be neurotransmitter related, because the body releases hisamine at orgasm.  You can google it and will find this to be accurate. He ordered several neurotransmitter tests, via stool sample from Doctors Data. The results did show some deficiencies, most being Dopamine and seratonin.
My dr has put me on 5HTP[ precurser that makes Dopamine and seratonin  to see if it helps. So far, no difference, but his idea is worth exploring. It could be the release confuses the brain, and instead of sex being a good experience, it shuts down function and makes it a very negative one. Sounds like a nuerotransmitter imbalance of some kind to me. Ive been trying to figure this out on my own for 10yrs, because all the doctors look at me like im nuts, and tell me they never heard of this.
This is why i asked 'goingcrazy' about him feeling good after taking benadryl. If this is true, perhaps the benadryl[or any anti-histamine] blocks the hisamine from confusing the brain???
For years, I assumed this was an adrenal problem, due to low function, because adrenal insuffiency has very similar symptoms, but i have been on hydrocortisone for 10 yrs and prednisone for a month and it does NOT help this issue. Also have been on thyroid to no avail. Ativan helps the anxiety greatly.
I had undiagnosed Lyme for 25yrs before i got treatment, so it could be in my case the lyme has really screwed up my body, because my hormones are so wacked out....

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: 10/09/2009 18:58:47 »
The histamine release is a very good starting point to explain Pois.

I tried it (benadryl) yesterday in POIS and it had no effect, maybe if you take it beforehand it might do something.

Benadryl prevents release of histamine but doesn't effect it if its already there?

I had undiagnosed Lyme for 25yrs before i got treatment, so it could be in my case the lyme has really screwed up my body, because my hormones are so wacked out....

How do you manage to find that it was in your body for 25 years?
« Last Edit: 10/09/2009 19:04:59 by goingcrazy »

Offline pauliebaby61

• View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: 10/09/2009 18:59:55 »
just re-looked at my neuro-tests from 4 months ago, and my histamine was high....mmmmm   ...and when the test was done, i hadnt had an orgasm for a long time. could it be orgasm and the release of histamine sends the level so high it is screwing with my brain.....?

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: 10/09/2009 19:03:30 »
Weird, I find the more I have POIS, the more I am on this website.  What's good news is I definitely feel at least twice as better than last year before finding this site,  I feel POIS is greatly reduced in pain and time, especially just after one "O" which may last about 2 days for me, especially after an NE which tends to be less harmful than a normal "O".  Once you've hit rock bottom there is nowhere to go but up, so I keep on telling myself it's always going to get better and better.

Offline pauliebaby61

• View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: 10/09/2009 19:05:52 »
The lyme was found by a PCR[dna] test, and i was treated based upon that and symptoms. Chronic lyme many times doesnt show up in blood tests, and western blot test isnt reliable.
I was treated with I.V. roecephin, about 150 treatments. My health has improved, but the pois stuff never has gone away.
I am determined to solve this puzzle....

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: 10/09/2009 19:13:47 »

I am determined to solve this puzzle....

I always think if we can get ourselves into this, we can get ourselves out.  I think if I exercise every other day, and stay away from the downstairs, I can make great progress.  I remember back in the day when I used to "O", but I used to feel tiredness instead of anxiety, it gradually came on... Now I think I can gradually make it go off.  Hopefully, I just need to fully stay away for at least a year.

Offline pyropeach

• View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: 11/09/2009 00:20:46 »

Benadryl prevents release of histamine but doesn't effect it if its already there?

Just to be clear here, antihistamines do not prevent the release of histamine, but rather block the histamine receptor sites.  This is why antihistamines work best when taken a few hours before exposure to allergens so it has a chance to bind to the histamine receptor sites before histamine binds. 

Yes, I completely agree!!

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: 11/09/2009 01:37:21 »

I also agree.

So far it has been easy for me to assume that histamine release, possibly leading to excess could be a problem. Along these lines, a diet low in histamines/histidine could be investigated on the intake side of the equation while factors that inhibit Diamine Oxidase (histamine breakdown) could be investigated on the other side. Apparently an unhealthy digestive tract can lead to high levels of bacteria produced histamine from the histidine in food.  

Conversely, after reading about the positive attributes of L-Histadine and histamines produced from it, I am also seriously considering if a lack of these substances could be a problem in our case; potentially caused by a bad immune reaction to them or by their lack of metabolization/utilization, or histamine receptor site issues for example. Maybe histamine does not have to be only helpful OR harmful in POIS cases but could be both depending on which processes are considered.

Notably cheese and therefore CHEESE SANDWICHES :) tend to be a food high in histamines which could explain why one furum member likes cheese sandwiches..

Here is one interesting article relating to food and histamines.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=246 [nofollow]

« Last Edit: 11/09/2009 01:41:54 by THISFORUMROCKS! »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: 11/09/2009 01:53:28 »

My lyme dr, [Dr. Domminck Braccia, D.O. from Haverford, Pa. ph # 610-924-0600]

That was very generous of you! Thank you for sharing the contact info!

Ive been trying to figure this out on my own for 10yrs, because all the doctors look at me like im nuts, and tell me they never heard of this.

If it's any consolation, I've been grappling with the same thing for 30+ years (could be 40+, but like most people here, I just didn't connect POIS symptoms to sex for a long time).

Doctors without a clue (and blaming us) - what a rude awakening THAT was!!!

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: 11/09/2009 03:31:45 »
I've been changing theories A LOT over the past few months and I would just like to know what people think about hormones being the cause of this... could it really create all of this mental confusion and mood?  Weird how something your body makes could be so detrimental for you.

When I POIS I feel like the first few seconds after orgasm is fine, then suddenly it's like almost too much is released, I get a very tense feeling in the back of my head.  Than POIS follows...

My new theory is the overactive gland theory

and... I posted the question on yahoo answers and somebody said it is because my brain grey matter is low?  Really?? ???

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5549 on: 11/09/2009 03:31:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums