The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6428837 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5600 on: 17/09/2009 15:52:32 »

Many thanks for reporting that, mellivora!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: 17/09/2009 17:04:09 »
I was listening to NPR today about chemo-brain (info here: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=40136)

symptoms:
    * Memory loss – forgetting things that you normally remember     
    * Difficulty thinking of the right word for a particular object     
    * Difficulty following the flow of a conversation     
    * Trouble concentrating or focusing on one thing     
    * Difficulty doing more than one thing at a time (multi tasking)     
    * More difficulty doing things you used to do easily, such as adding up in your head     
    * Fatigue (tiredness and lack of energy)     
    * Confusion     
    * Mental fogginess

okay why am i mentioning this, well Jim mentioned cytokines before... the doctor being interviewed said that some of the people who exhibit these symptoms have high level of cytokines in their blood. And they dont know why the cytokines could be causing them.

There exists a Cytokine panel of blood testing that can be done, like this one: http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements/ItemLCCYT/Cytokine-Panel---IL1b-IL6-IL8-TNF-Alpha-Blood-Test.html

The Cytokines in chemo-therapy result from an auto-immune response. Maybe for some of us the POIS is a auto-immune reaction triggering large amounts of these cytokines to be released. Once I have the health insurance again, I am definitely doing to get this panel done after a few O's (god that will be a crappy week at work lolz =)

Even in healthy males, studies (like this one: http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowAbstract&ArtikelNr=79409&Ausgabe=230291&ProduktNr=224176) have shown that an O causes an immuno reaction by the human body.

going crazy it wasnt my quote it was defsync.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: 17/09/2009 17:06:01 »

Question to all:

If you had your pick of an individual(s) or an institution, who would you like to see study us and POIS?

If you'd prefer to PM me with a reply that's fine, as is a casual post.

Thanks!

that was where i was going with my post on chemo brain.   Do you think those reasearchers will be willing to deal with us since symptoms are so similar and they will checking the same region anyways.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: 17/09/2009 17:09:30 »
As I posted about a month ago, I had some blood tests a while back. These tests were not done while I was feeling symptoms. I still think I need to do a before and after test. I have an endocrinologist appointment at the end of October.
Basically my results for Testosterone, Prolactin, FSH, SHBG, Cortisol and thyroid were all normal. My LH was 'slightly low' - I wonder if that's just something to do with a relatively low frequency of orgasm compared to a normal non-sufferer.

I'd like to see the actual numbers to see where within 'normal' range I was and also to check exactly which testosterone test was carried out (I asked for total, free, bioavailable). I should be able to discuss all this at my endocrinology appointment. Also I think its important to do both before  symptoms and during POIS symptoms tests so hopefully my endo will help me with this.

Trying cranberries. has anyone had any apparent results from dried cranberries? They seem to be easier to get hold of

my lh was low normal and fsh was below normal by .2, am curious if these has anything to do with sperm regeneration my self. Because i experience the same thing demografx said. 

Demografx before you started taking testoreone did you fill up and recovered withing three days

I fill up about the same time i recover which is sevenday.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: 17/09/2009 17:44:48 »
C-reactive protein (CRP)

has anybody had their "crp" checked, this protein is used as an inflammatory marker to see if the immune system is attacking an infection or auto immune response. the  Normal reference ranges for blood tests are less than 5 mg/l.  my doctor told me i should have a 2 or 3, but i forgot when i had my crp checked about year and a half ago i scored a 10.  this is not normal for a healthy 26 year old male, she said its normal for an 80 year old with a real bad infection.  

CRP is thought to bind to phosphocholine, thus initiating recognition and phagocytosis of damaged cells.  Phosphocholine (PC) is an intermediate in the synthesis of (phosphatidylcholine) in tissues. It is also used by nematodes and human placentas to suppress an immune response by their hosts.  strangely, phosphatidylcholine and Phosphocholine are the phospolipids in (ps 100) which is listed on the pois website as a supplement to help with pois symptoms.

CRP is very important in my theory about an auto immune response making us sick,

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: 17/09/2009 17:57:11 »

Demografx before you started taking testostereone did you fill up and recovered withing three days

About 4 days before. Now it's 1. To start regenerating, not necessary "filled up". "T" clearly speeds up the process.

And I wonder if T would help POIS even for those people with normal T. But don't anyone experiment without a physician!!!
« Last Edit: 17/09/2009 17:59:27 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: 17/09/2009 18:04:30 »

Question to all:

If you had your pick of an individual(s) or an institution, who would you like to see study us and POIS?

Thanks!

that was where i was going with my post on chemo brain.   Do you think those reasearchers will be willing to deal with us since symptoms are so similar and they will checking the same region anyways.

I think researchers want to see a similarity. Otherwise it's not a syndrome, it's just a bunch of people reacting in all kinds of strange and different ways to orgasm. Hard to study I imagine.

So, CC,  who would you like to see on this research "team"?
« Last Edit: 17/09/2009 18:06:46 by demografx »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: 17/09/2009 18:48:16 »
i am close to Univerisity of Washington, UW Medical does world class research, but i would be happy if anybody studied pois.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: 17/09/2009 22:14:17 »

I am close to University of Washington, UW Medical does world class research, but I would be happy if anybody studied pois.

laurac, can you get a contact email so I can send a request to research POIS?

The DERC (endocrinology research) Director is Jerry Palmer, M.D.

Maybe he'd be a good person for me to start an email/telephone follow up dialogue??

My only concern is that it looks like diabetes is their main (only?) research focus:
http://depts.washington.edu/diabetes/

« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 01:50:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: 17/09/2009 22:17:50 »
For me I was thinking that yes it could possibly be hormonal, I've practically had POIS the same amount of time that I've had acne, and my acne is slowly diminishing, hence POIS is getting better... At least for me.

You've turned around your thinking 180 degrees. Great flexibility!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5610 on: 18/09/2009 01:29:49 »

Demografx before you started taking testostereone did you fill up and recovered withing three days

About 4 days before. Now it's 1. To start regenerating, not necessary "filled up". "T" clearly speeds up the process.

And I wonder if T would help POIS even for those people with normal T. But don't anyone experiment without a physician!!!

CC, just to clarify some more, before I started my TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for POIS, my hunch is that I was replenishing sperm much too slowly, and this was somehow associated with POIS agony.

TRT now replenishes sperm much more quickly, thereby cutting out 3 days of POIS agony for me. POIS is now a one day ordeal for me, or less, and miraculously POIS-free a few times. I've NEVER had POIS-free episodes in my 30+ year battle with this Ugly Monster called POIS. I can't explain the sudden POIS-free episodes, but again, I do have hunches about them if anyone wants to hear more about it.

When I said "full" and "empty" (sperm) before, I didn't mean that I needed to be "full" to be out-of-POIS. My guess is only that the sperm regeneration process needs to be underway, and if it's at a standstill...then POIS kicks in.

But if I'm "full", I'm definitely at my peak physical/mental/emotional condition. I think many others experience this, although they may not attribute it to sperm the way I do.

I know it sounds simplistic, but who really knows the answer? As others here have hunches, this is my best hunch.

Thanks for letting me babble on.
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 01:51:22 by demografx »

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: 18/09/2009 02:10:29 »

Question to all:

Thanks!

I would be interested in having anyone study POIS who has sufficient interest and resources.

I think that funding a study would be the biggest obstacle. By contacting multiple University research groups, seeking out grants from non-profits, we might have a chance of getting some interest. What about going the route of offering an "X" prize(aka cash award to anyone) for 1) uncovering the internal processes of POIS and 2) finding a solution for POIS. The "X" prize has succeeded in generating interest/research in other areas- look it up on youtube. We would just once again need a financial backer for the prize.

Probably the more documented/recognized cases of POIS the better in terms of generating research interest and funding. By POIS members all contributing to writing articles/comments/questions regarding POIS in medical and scientific forums/websites/publications I think we might find there are more POIS members out there who are simply not aware of and searching for what they are dealing with. Would members here want to help with this? Also if there was wider recognition and awareness of POIS within the medical community and the public, we might generate more interest in conducting and funding studies.

If we are able to point out something tangible like high CRP #'s for example, something that could be common to those with POIS, this might generate more interest and cause for a study in the mind of a researcher.

A major piece of media and communication technology of the moment seems to be youtube. If numerous POIS sufferers are able to relay their experiences in multiple youtube postings or a video blog of some sort, this could make a big difference in communicating and spreading the word about the hardships of POIS; hence leading to possible research interest and at least better understanding. I know this could be tricky but you would not need to show your face on the videos and could mask your voice or type out comments in the video if you are concerned about concealing your identity as I assume many people are. Thanks to "Girlwind" for starting what will hopefully be a trend.    
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 02:16:39 by THISFORUMROCKS! »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5612 on: 18/09/2009 03:26:26 »
For me I was thinking that yes it could possibly be hormonal, I've practically had POIS the same amount of time that I've had acne, and my acne is slowly diminishing, hence POIS is getting better... At least for me.

Yeah, I do that a lot.   :)

I may have asked this before but I don't believe I had any responses.  Does anybody experience very mild POIS symptoms simply just after sexual stimulation?  I do, and this could probably take us into new directions, what evidently isn't just released at orgasm can affect our theories.  Obviously, orgasm is the worst, but if this occurs by sexual stimulation, I think new things would come into conversation.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: 18/09/2009 03:39:48 »
demograph i dont know who yet but i am definately going into this chemo brain thingy.  I want someone who as at least seen similar symptoms from something else so they dont give up easily if nothing comes up.           

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5614 on: 18/09/2009 03:41:34 »

Yeah, I do that a lot.   :)

I may have asked this before but I don't believe I had any responses.  Does anybody experience very mild POIS symptoms simply just after sexual stimulation?  I do, and this could probably take us into new directions, what evidently isn't just released at orgasm can affect our theories.  Obviously, orgasm is the worst, but if this occurs by sexual stimulation, I think new things would come into conversation.

I dont think i have any from just sexual stimulations but my sleep is my worst nightmare, i found a way to get rid of nocturnal emissions but i havnt figure out a way to get rid of brain orgasms, am working on that right now.   

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: 18/09/2009 03:42:37 »
I have looked online for this but found none. Does anybody know negative effects of using male desensitizers for long periods.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: 18/09/2009 03:43:22 »
Hormones are also released during sexual stimulation, so maybe that is why I get that way?

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: 18/09/2009 03:58:53 »

Yes. Morning erections cause POIS symptoms with me, which is very annoying as there is little that I can do to control those! The symptoms last between 12-48 hours.

I definitely agree that it isn't just orgasm that causes POIS. For me, there are 3 levels of POIS:

1) POIS caused by a simple erection (usually involving sleep)
2) POIS caused by the emission of pre-cum (cowpers glands etc)
3) POIS caused by full-blown orgasm

Each level is stronger than the last, although there have been a few exceptions to this general rule.

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: 18/09/2009 08:37:03 »
Yes I can relate to above post. You might mitigate morning erections by sleeping on your stomach. Anyone else tried this?  :-\

I would interpret this to be further evidence of a previous theory- Stimulation of any sort could internally start moving semen and prejaculate or by other means trigger the sending of chemical signals which call for the production of more semen even before it has been expelled(as more production is likely to soon be necessary), just as an orgasm would, simply to a smaller degree.

CC -Regarding nighttime brain orgasms: If you try to ignore sexual thoughts or push thoughts of sex out of your mind while you are awake, you might be able to avoid this. It sounds difficult but some people are able to control their dreams or at least logically recognize they are in a dream state and choose to wake up or ignore the dream. This could take some practice, hope this helps.  ;D
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 08:53:06 by THISFORUMROCKS! »

Offline Starsky

• View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: 18/09/2009 08:44:09 »
Interesting theory.

http://www.drhusbands.com/blog/womens-health/adrenal-stress-and-hormonal-imbalance-connection-with-gut-problem/

Adrenal Stress and Hormonal Imbalance Connection With Gut Problem

August 21, 2009 by drhusbands 
Filed under Gastrointestinal Disorders, Stress and Adrenal Fatigue, Women's Health

Leave a Comment

In preparing for teaching doctors from around the world in the 17th Annual World Congress on Anti-Aging Medicine and Regenerative Biomedical Technologies conference, I have been reminded how greatly any alterations in Gastrointestinal (GI) tract beneficial bacteria (microflora) affects the adrenal stress response.  The state of imbalanced GI microflora can stress you out by:

* turning up your adrenal glands into overdrive
    * causing your thyroid to go out of whack
    * causing your estrogens and progesterone to go haywire, and
    * lead you into multiple hormonal imbalances

There are so many women who have been misdiagnosed and have been unnecessarily prescribed the common thyroid prescription medication Synthroid.  This occurs because a lot of doctors use TSH and T4 for thyroid screening lab tests as primary diagnostic tools for hypothyroidism.  However, they are not looking deeper.  Very often, the adrenals go out of whack first.  More often than realized, recurrent use of antibiotics and/or corticosteroid inhalers or corticosteroid creams kill the beneficial GI microflora.   Since 60% of your immune system is in your GI tract, an imbalanced GI tract microflora causes immune system imbalances, which in turn, causes adrenal dysregulation.  Adrenal dysregulation alters thyroid function.  Thyroid problems cause sex hormone imbalances.  Consequently, you get multi-system dysregulation.  Quite often, doctors prescribe more and more medications as symptoms increase.  Ultimately, women that go through this never get better because the root causes are not properly identified and treated.

In many of the other posts on this blog and articles in my newsletter archives, I’ve discussed components of the multi-system dysregulation.  In the upcoming conference, I am getting an opportunity to bring all this together before a large group of health care professionals.  I’m looking forward to discussing the research studies and scientific priniciples for using nutrition, lifestyle modifications, spinal manipulation and other natural means for resolving this multi-system dysregulation.  The title of my presentation is “Optimizing GI Tract Function as a Therapeutic Component of Hormonal Regulation in Women”.

By the way, the resulting multi-system dysregulation originating from gut problems is also applicable to men.  I’ve focused on women here because this has been on my mind lately due to preparing for my upcoming presentation.

Dr Husbands is a Chiropractor, a Certified Clinical Nutritionist, an Anti-Aging Healthcare Practitioner and a Functional Medicine Doctor. For more information, visit http://www.drhusbands.com.

Copyright © 2009; Douglas Husbands, DC, CCN, ABAAHP. All rights reserved.[quote\]

Offline devastated

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: 18/09/2009 12:43:11 »
Thank you John21 & demografx for all the precious info and links. I'll study them carefully.

demografx: I've lived in England for over 5 years ;-)
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 12:51:47 by devastated »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: 18/09/2009 14:38:45 »
THISFORUMROCKS, thank you for all your input above on funding and research! I was frankly getting worried that we don't have a solid interest here in working together to get help. Please, everyone, don't take it wrong but it seems like there's been very little input on the questions I've raised and the volunteering that's needed to go forward. Items such as building our email contact list, WHO, NORD, etc.

Tell me I'm wrong! It's honestly been a little difficult forging ahead solo. I was shot down by a major university for researching POIS (the same people who are treating me successfully), very little to no feedback from others here about NORD, the AACE President doesn't return my calls or emails, WHO is maddeningly, bureaucratically slow as molasses,  Martin has been the only one to add to our contact list besides me, and POIS pioneers/researchers Drs Waldinger and Schwartz have been largely unresponsive, as have the authors of the textbook, "The Science of Orgasm", one who is affiliated with a research lab that could really help. Our inability to offer funding I suspect is a big stumbling block, also for people Counterpoints has contacted.

On the bright side, 3 POIS forum-members have committed $2,500 in cold, hard cash toward our effort A major breakthrough.

I'm writing this not to complain but to bring THISFORUMROCKS (TFR) and other newcomers up to speed so that they can contribute, as TFR has done above.
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 14:55:49 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: 18/09/2009 14:43:35 »
goingcrazy, I can be in a highly stimulated, charged up mode for 3 days straight, and it doesn't affect me. No symptoms.

Only one thing pushes me over the edge into the abyss of POIS, and that's The Explosion.
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 14:52:53 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: 18/09/2009 14:59:21 »
goingcrazy, I can be in a highly stimulated, charged up mode for 3 days straight, and it doesn't affect me. No symptoms.

Only one thing pushes me over the edge into the abyss of POIS, and that's The Explosion.

hmm, still maybe the testosterone helping you not feel it?  Idk,  I'm thinking John's "cure" was his yogurt, supposedly an immune-balancing food.  Auto-immune disease now.  Celibacy + yogurt = immune balancing, no more POIS, hmm, still don't know.
« Last Edit: 18/09/2009 16:38:54 by goingcrazy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: 18/09/2009 21:07:29 »

hmm, still maybe the testosterone helping you not feel it? 

It's always been like that for me.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5624 on: 18/09/2009 21:07:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums