The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6444102 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5625 on: 18/09/2009 21:10:05 »

Thank you John21 & demografx for all the precious info and links. I'll study them carefully.

devastated, there's a tremendous amount of good POIS exploration to be found there.

We're glad you're here!

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: 19/09/2009 00:23:48 »
If not cure it, does anyone know anything that you can do to at least shorten POIS?

...I'm on day 13...its not fun.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: 19/09/2009 00:45:38 »
Below is an overdue response to a question.

POIS helps those who suffer from it to learn dicipline. 

Dicipline is:
An art, not a science
A journey, not a destination
A strength, not a weakness

POIS punishes those who do not have dicipline and rewards those who do have it.

POIS teaches the dicipline of self-control, mind over matter, and faith.  Needless to mention, mastery of these diciplines will take you anywhere you want in life or rather wherever you need to be taken.
« Last Edit: 19/09/2009 00:51:13 by Limejuice »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: 19/09/2009 02:03:07 »

Dicipline is:
An art, not a science

POIS teaches the dicipline of self-control, mind over matter, and faith.  Needless to mention, mastery of these diciplines will take you anywhere you want in life or rather wherever you need to be taken.

Not to destroy this beautifull summary i am actually printing out and putting on wall.  But it is all true as long as you can stay out of it.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: 19/09/2009 02:05:47 »
I sleep on my
Yes I can relate to above post. You might mitigate morning erections by sleeping on your stomach. Anyone else tried this?  :-\

I would interpret this to be further evidence of a previous theory- Stimulation of any sort could internally start moving semen and prejaculate or by other means trigger the sending of chemical signals which call for the production of more semen even before it has been expelled(as more production is likely to soon be necessary), just as an orgasm would, simply to a smaller degree.

CC -Regarding nighttime brain orgasms: If you try to ignore sexual thoughts or push thoughts of sex out of your mind while you are awake, you might be able to avoid this. It sounds difficult but some people are able to control their dreams or at least logically recognize they are in a dream state and choose to wake up or ignore the dream. This could take some practice, hope this helps.  ;D

I sleep on my stomach and results in constant NE but when i put hole in bed for my piano NE stopped.   Now am changing position to back but with hole in my cover sheet and also adding male desensitizers hopefully this makes a differenced.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: 19/09/2009 02:08:16 »
I have had POIS for at least 20 years. My psychiatrist told me that these symptoms although rare, has been found among patients who suffer with major depressive disorder (neuro transmitter imbalance). The anti-depressant medications have never helped relieve these specific symptoms, and Ive been on all of them. Since some of these symptom are similar to those of an allergic reaction, I have experimented, by treating the POIS with antihistamine. There is one that helps relieve the intensity of the symtoms by at least 85%, it is called Loratadine. It is an over the counter antihistamine allergy medication(CVS store brand, less expensive) that will last for 24 hours. Note: Should be Loratadine 10mg. I will take 1 hour before or short time after orgasm. Since my symptoms last about 3 days, I will take a 2nd dose after 21 hours, then a 3rd dose after another 21 hours. I will feel 85% symptom free during those 3 days and until next orgasm. I hope that sharing this information can be helpful.

This is a post by gement from steved's could i have a sexuall illness.  I already sent the person  a message about us.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: 19/09/2009 05:07:58 »

If not cure it, does anyone know anything that you can do to at least shorten POIS?

Dean, if you can find a doctor to work with you to review everything that's been tried here, and then carefully and cautiously try out some of those ideas, matching your POIS profile with other people here............

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: 19/09/2009 05:36:03 »

Dicipline is:
An art, not a science

Yeah but where the discipline lacks sense is that NE's cause POIS

I sleep on my
Yes I can relate to above post. You might mitigate morning erections by sleeping on your stomach. Anyone else tried this?  :-\

I would interpret this to be further evidence of a previous theory- Stimulation of any sort could internally start moving semen and prejaculate or by other means trigger the sending of chemical signals which call for the production of more semen even before it has been expelled(as more production is likely to soon be necessary), just as an orgasm would, simply to a smaller degree.

CC -Regarding nighttime brain orgasms: If you try to ignore sexual thoughts or push thoughts of sex out of your mind while you are awake, you might be able to avoid this. It sounds difficult but some people are able to control their dreams or at least logically recognize they are in a dream state and choose to wake up or ignore the dream. This could take some practice, hope this helps.  ;D

I sleep on my stomach and results in constant NE but when i put hole in bed for my piano NE stopped.   Now am changing position to back but with hole in my cover sheet and also adding male desensitizers hopefully this makes a differenced.

That is quite hilarious, how big are those holes, 2 millimeters diameter?  Haha, no probably half of that size.   [:X]  JK... You actually do go to quite a big extent to take care of those NE's.  And how do you brain orgasm without ejaculation??

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: 19/09/2009 05:39:57 »
I have had POIS for at least 20 years. My psychiatrist told me that these symptoms although rare, has been found among patients who suffer with major depressive disorder (neuro transmitter imbalance). The anti-depressant medications have never helped relieve these specific symptoms, and Ive been on all of them. Since some of these symptom are similar to those of an allergic reaction, I have experimented, by treating the POIS with antihistamine. There is one that helps relieve the intensity of the symtoms by at least 85%, it is called Loratadine. It is an over the counter antihistamine allergy medication(CVS store brand, less expensive) that will last for 24 hours. Note: Should be Loratadine 10mg. I will take 1 hour before or short time after orgasm. Since my symptoms last about 3 days, I will take a 2nd dose after 21 hours, then a 3rd dose after another 21 hours. I will feel 85% symptom free during those 3 days and until next orgasm. I hope that sharing this information can be helpful.

This is a post by gement from steved's could i have a sexuall illness.  I already sent the person  a message about us.

I think that POIS causes "major depression disorder",  I don't think that depression would cause POIS, unless a biological depression.  My life was fine and happy until the day that POIS entered my mind, but if we do come out of this, it's a strength building endeavor.  I'm not sure if POIS causes a chemical imbalance or if it exacerbates something else, The fog in my head seems like a "candida" and the headache seems like an auto-immune reaction and all of it together seems like a chemical imbalance.  I do believe we could come out of this.
« Last Edit: 19/09/2009 05:44:33 by goingcrazy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: 19/09/2009 05:48:10 »
Anybody think that it's not just orgasm that causes this, that maybe orgasm "irritates" something in your head.  Like sugar, etc... Sleep for me gives me terrible brain fog when I wake up, especially during POIS.

Dean, if you can find a doctor to work with you to review everything that's been tried here, and then carefully and cautiously try out some of those ideas, matching your POIS profile with other people here............

Day 13, is a while, I suggest no sexual stimulation whatsoever and to drink a lot of water.  Water helps me a lot.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: 19/09/2009 05:49:55 »
i believe my POIS is an auto-immune reaction... wont know for sure until I have enuf $$$ to get the tests done.. but even still if they prove positive, there is very little that can be done about it... has anyone considered surgery to cut the nerves associated with sexual stimulation / erection / orgasm, or is this even possible? i'm at my whits end with this !#@$#!@ im SOOOOOOOO freakin tired of the "discipline"... it doesnt really get to me persay, i just dont want to have to think about it anymore, and sleep at night and dream about whatever without having to worry about the consequences... sleep a night of regular freakin sleep and not have a care in the world that i will wake up in the morning any different

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: 19/09/2009 06:11:41 »

That way of thinking is easy, lazy justification - the opposite of dicipline. 

As others have experienced, this can be controlled if you focus.

I don't mean to come across as harsh as this post reads.
« Last Edit: 19/09/2009 06:19:49 by Limejuice »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: 19/09/2009 06:20:40 »
i believe my POIS is an auto-immune reaction... wont know for sure until I have enuf $$$ to get the tests done.. but even still if they prove positive, there is very little that can be done about it... has anyone considered surgery to cut the nerves associated with sexual stimulation / erection / orgasm, or is this even possible? i'm at my whits end with this !#@$#!@ im SOOOOOOOO freakin tired of the "discipline"... it doesnt really get to me persay, i just dont want to have to think about it anymore, and sleep at night and dream about whatever without having to worry about the consequences... sleep a night of regular freakin sleep and not have a care in the world that i will wake up in the morning any different

Weird, I was just thinking the same thing.  There are treatments though I guess to stop the reaction, like immune system lowering drugs.  I was also reading that auto-immune disorders can be lessened, sometimes even cured by diet and exercise and just general health.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: 19/09/2009 06:22:35 »

That way of thinking is easy, lazy justification - the opposite of dicipline. 

As others have experienced, this can be controlled if you focus.

I don't mean to come across as harsh as this post reads.

that's ok, POIS makes me say things that might not even make sense, or just stupid things

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: 19/09/2009 18:55:12 »
Anybody think that it's not just orgasm that causes this, that maybe orgasm "irritates" something in your head.  Like sugar, etc... Sleep for me gives me terrible brain fog when I wake up, especially during POIS.

Day 13, is a while, I suggest no sexual stimulation whatsoever and to drink a lot of water.  Water helps me a lot.

Thanks GC, I'll try that. Thanks as well to you Demo, but I'd really like to exhaust all of my options before I have to go deal with the doctor again. I don't have any know health problems, my doctor actually said that I was "remarkably healthy." Despite this, I assure you that I'll take a lot of care with anything I try.

Any news on cranberries?
« Last Edit: 19/09/2009 19:01:01 by Dean93 »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5640 on: 20/09/2009 03:22:43 »

Thanks GC, I'll try that. Thanks as well to you Demo, but I'd really like to exhaust all of my options before I have to go deal with the doctor again. I don't have any know health problems, my doctor actually said that I was "remarkably healthy." Despite this, I assure you that I'll take a lot of care with anything I try.

Any news on cranberries?

I stopped to be honest, generally because the sugar content is really high and that doesn't agree with my new diet, I did have one awesome no POIS incident, but after that I POIS'd dramatically.  I'm not sure about the cranberries, I think Limejuice was going to post a message after he had an NE.  If somebody could test cranberries/cranberry juice out for a few months without intentional orgasm that would be good.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: 20/09/2009 04:21:11 »
I stopped cranberries again. Too difficult to determine if it adds anything beyond testosterone, because other variables affect increase/decrease of 75% cure, e.g., frequency, mood, circumstance.

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: 20/09/2009 23:32:39 »

Demo, as a slightly more out of pois response, I realize that you are trying to help me and I appreciate, it. I apologize for being stubborn.

Anyway, I'd like to go over my latest experiences with POIS:

Last month, I posted that I would report back on my results with exercise after orgasm. My results, in short, are that for me, running directly after orgasm does get rid of POIS symptoms, but ONLY after an NE. After an NE, I  ran on a treadmill at a 10 inch incline at 6-7 miles per hour for 16 minutes, which equates to about 1.6 miles. I stopped because I felt I had "hit the wall" physically, and my body was telling me to stop, or perhaps that was just my rationalization of my simply not wanting to do it anymore. Anyhow, that got rid off pretty much all my cognitive/mental/social symptoms. I hung out with my friends and had a good time, no problem. I was though, greatly fatigued. This wasn't POIS like "I don't want to do anything" fatigue, just a general lack of energy. Despite this, I was more than happy with my results and was completely willing to be indefinitely abstinent, and just run after NE's. My plan was to continue that, and next time, to try to run every morning for about a week after an NE, and possibly look into some energy boosting products. So as the days went on, I waited for and welcomed an NE. Well, I don't know if this happens for everyone, but my first few days without POIS are the best for me, but after a week or two, I start to lose my clearheadedness a bit, and, of course, get tangled up in huge amount of sexual tension (being on fire, but allergic to water <<my analogy of how I feel after a while.) Because of these negative effects of prolonged abstinence, I wanted another NE to sort of "reset" myself. It never came. The tension just compounded until one day, a Sunday, I felt my self in just about the same mental state as full blown POIS! Needless to say, I was angry. The same day, but importantly AFTER I realized my mental state, I had some emission of fluid that resembled semen during a bowel movement. I don't know what I expect anyone to make of that...

Two days after, I had an NE. Although doubtful, I ran for 10 minutes, which did nothing of course. That confirmed for me that I was really in POIS. That lasted for two weeks, like it normally does.

This Sunday, two weeks after that, I still don't feel fully recovered. I sort of feel like it has lifted, but I don't feel the strength or invigoration that I usually feel. Being in or out of POIS is usually black or white. Right now, it's gray. If this persists, I don't know what I'll do. If I can't feel good out of POIS, would it really be worth it to keep waiting through episodes...

Anyway, I'm hoping that I can fully recover. So badly.

About cranberry, I suppose I would be a good candidate for testing, since I've got the time, I'm willing to abstinent and I'm not on anything else. I'm going to retest fenugreek, and if that doesn't work or needs supplementation, I'll do the cranberry thing. I already have some "Cran-Max Ultimate Extract" capsules. They utilize the entire cranberry, and claim that the potency is 34:1 compared to whole cranberries. The bottle says 500mg a day, but on site about Cran-max I found that doses from 200 to 6000 milligrams are acceptable, and according to Cran-max, no negative side effects have been noted. After all, its just cranberries.

As a final note, my duration of POIS is longer than most, so next time around, I plan to do everything in my power to make sure that if its going to be that long, that I'm not contributing to it. Low carbs, no refined sugars, high protein, plenty of water, NO "second round" orgasms (those always get me). I'll also try to exercise everyday, and maybe even try some of the obscure stuff like alternating hot and cold in the shower, and getting more sunlight. For up to two weeks, its going to be hard, and could be a major disappointment, but could also be completely worth it. Any comments, suggestions, or words of motivation would be great.

I apologize for my ridiculously long post, thanks again to the forum for at least providing me with ideas, no matter how effective, that something might work. Good luck to everyone.
« Last Edit: 21/09/2009 19:59:32 by Dean93 »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: 21/09/2009 00:03:11 »
Dean, so you are saying that you had a self inflicted   ;) orgasm on Sunday?  --or I think I just realized you still didn't "O"..  Yeah that fluid is weird, reminds me of candida... After exercise for me, I get really "foggy" headed, a pois fog, but this wasn't after an NE.  I know what you mean about pois being good for a couple of days but then being really irritating (happened to me during cranberry trial).  One of my theories of POIS being that our brain chemistry is out of balance and that our brain wants to keep this "out of balance" state, so when it doesn't get what it wants (orgasm) this will happen.  What I'm trying now is to just be on a good diet, exercise, and let only NE's be my only point of orgasm.  I think one day this will dramatically go away just like it dramatically came onto me, the fog that came into my head that never left.
« Last Edit: 21/09/2009 00:08:14 by goingcrazy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: 21/09/2009 00:04:56 »
About the auto-immune theory, wouldn't anti-inflammatory drugs help POIS? It didn't for me.  And if we were auto-immune to something our body makes wouldn't it be attacked at its source (where it is before it is released during/after sex) ?

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: 21/09/2009 00:25:56 »
About the auto-immune theory, wouldn't anti-inflammatory drugs help POIS? It didn't for me.  And if we were auto-immune to something our body makes wouldn't it be attacked at its source (where it is before it is released during/after sex) ?

depends. auto-immune reactions can be a variety of things. they can release chems into the bloodstream that go everywhere or like you said attack specific areas.

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: 21/09/2009 00:51:53 »
Note: I edited my last post after accidentally submitting before I had finished.

Thanks for your response GC, and no I didn't have an orgasm at all, self inflicted or otherwise.

You just reminded me of on thing that I left off my list: anti-inflammatory agents. Regardless of what any theory says, things that are anti inflammatory have proven to have positive effects on POIS, such as garlic and many others. I also read somewhere that mild exercise was anti-inflammatory, so I'm definitely not going to dismiss that theory.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: 21/09/2009 03:09:29 »
My 90%+ cure

Since starting testosterone therapy last year, I have been continually reporting a POIS cure per episode of 75% to 90%, sometimes 100%. After today, I think I have a better idea of why...when it's 90%+.

Why was today (first 24 hours, "Day Zero"), good? Mostly Day Zero is still a mini-POIS-nightmare for me, but not today:

1. Was within frequency limits. Find your limits, and don't exceed them. If you can "sense" your own sperm regeneration, stay away from sex when you feel "empty".

2. Doubled dose of stimulants (with psychiatrist's approval). Finally quit caffeine and dying for it. Too bad.

3. Increased testosterone (with endocrinologist's ok)

4. Sunshine. Lots of it.

5. Engaged with other people socially for several hours.

6. Took "risks". Played piano for a group of people.

I hope this helps. But keep in mind that this is what works for me. We're all different.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: 21/09/2009 03:25:46 »
Could "extra" testosterone work on POIS for sufferers, even if they are within normal T-range?

This is not advice. I am not qualified in any way medically to offer advice. This is pure speculation on my part, and is something I'm pursuing for myself. And it's a dangerous question: I am not suggesting that anyone else conduct this experiment.

I'm simply reporting what I am doing.

Work with your trusted physician, and preferably an endocrinologist, to determine what's right for you.

What made me think of this: (1) the first concrete recommendation of testosterone was made to me by a sex researcher from Czechoslovakia, who was recommended to me by a top sex researcher in the States. The Czech researcher did not know whether I was deficient in testosterone or not. (2) My endocrinologist feels confident with my idea of increasing my dose for POIS, even though my range is now within normal for testosterone.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: 21/09/2009 03:32:06 »

I apologize for my ridiculously long post

Please don't apologize. You have a tremendous amount of terrific experience, thoughts and observations to offer us!

And you'll find a solution. We all will.
« Last Edit: 21/09/2009 08:08:28 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5649 on: 21/09/2009 03:32:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length