The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6447471 times)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5775 on: 12/10/2009 01:19:27 »
Androgen receptors in the brain

There is a correlation with all our symptoms:
We know POIS symptoms are similar to those of T deficiency.
-As mentionned in the following study, androgen receptors are important for cognitive function  and this is interesting for us, a test seems to exist (?):
http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstract.bme/14573323/Androge n_receptor_CAG_repeat_polymorphism_is_associated_with_cogn itive_function_in_older_men
BACKGROUND: Androgen receptors are located throughout the  brain, especially in regions involved with learning and  memory. Different lengths of a CAG (glutamine) repeat  polymorphism in exon 1 of the androgen receptor gene may  influence androgen action, with longer repeat lengths  conferring decreased androgen sensitivity. METHODS: We  sought to determine if this CAG polymorphism was  associated with cognition in older men. RESULTS: Among 301  community-dwelling white men (mean age, 73.0 +/- 7.1),  greater CAG repeat length was associated with lower scores  on three cognitive tests (p <.05 for all). In addition, 12  participants (9.8%) had cognitive impairment in the low  tertile of CAG repeat length whereas 29 (16.3%) had  cognitive impairment in the two higher tertiles (odds  ratio = 1.8; 95% confidence interval =.9-3.7).  CONCLUSIONS: Research should be directed at identifying  the mechanism for this association and to determine if  treatment with testosterone prevents cognitive decline.

-An other study links sexual satiation with decreased  androgen receptors :
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14700097
Abstract
Male sexual behavior is regulated by limbic areas like the  medial preoptic nucleus (MPN), the bed nucleus of the  stria terminalis (BST), the nucleus accumbens (nAcc) and  the ventromedial hypothalamic nucleus (VMN). Neurons in  these brain areas are rich in androgen receptors (AR) and  express FOS-immunoreactivity in response to mating. In  many species sexual satiation, a state of sexual behavior  inhibition, is attained after multiple ejaculations. The  mechanisms underlying sexual satiation are largely  unknown. In this study we show that sexual activity  reduces androgen receptor immunoreactivity (AR-ir) in some  of the brain areas associated with the control of male  sexual behavior, but not in others. Thus, one ejaculation  reduced the AR-ir in the MPN and nAcc, but not in the BST  and VMN. Copulation to satiation, on the other hand,  reduced AR-ir in the MPN, nAcc and VMN, and not in the  BST. The AR-ir reduction observed in the MPN of sexually  satiated rats was drastic when compared to that of animals  ejaculating once. Serum androgen levels did not vary after  one ejaculation or copulation to exhaustion. These data  reveal that sexual activity reduces AR in specific brain  areas and suggest the possibility that such a reduction  underlies the sexual inhibition that characterizes sexual  satiety.

-The nucleus accumbens, part of the brain where androgen  receptors are altered is involved in anxiety disorder. (largely present in POIS)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T02-4B8BJYG-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1043712564&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=96b267e21e9a097f0dce3dfa0b4a43f4
Abstract
We considered clinical observations in patients with  obsessive–compulsive- and anxiety-disorders, who underwent  bilateral anterior capsulotomy, as well as anatomical and  pathophysiological findings. Based on these  considerations, we choose the shell region of the right  nucleus accumbens as target for deep brain stimulation  (DBS) in a pilot-series of four patients with severe  obsessive–compulsive- and anxiety-disorders. Significant  reduction in severity of symptoms has been achieved in  three of four patients treated. Clinical results as well  as a 15-O-H2O-PET study, perfomed in one patient during  stimulation, speak in favour of the following hypothesis.

As a central relay-structure between amygdala, basal  ganglia, mesolimbic dopaminergic areas, mediodorsal  thalamus and prefrontal cortex, the accumbens nucleus  seems to play a modulatory role in information flow from  the amygdaloid complex to the latter areas. If disturbed,  imbalanced information flow from the amygdaloid complex  could yield obsessive–compulsive- and anxiety-disorders,  which can be counteracted by blocking the information flow  within the shell region of the accumbens nucleus by deep brain stimulation.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: 12/10/2009 13:59:28 »
This goes back to a theory about POIS that we've discussed - the better the "quality" of orgasm, the less severe the symptoms of POIS are.
It stands to reason that better quality orgasms release more dopamine, which in turn inhibits the prolactin release, and possibly neutralises the symptoms of POIS.
Anybody think there may be something in this?
I don't remember about this theory, too much data here :) What you say is very possible. Some people have more energy and feel better after orgasm. For me the very good orgasms can cause the worst POIS episodes. Maybe because prolactin is also increased. We had a discussion about this study : "The post-orgasmic prolactin increase following intercourse is greater than following masturbation and suggests greater satiety"  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095799

It seems possible that if POIS sufferers have an existing problem with low dopamine, even a normal secretion of prolactin will decrease dopamine enough to cause problems.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: 12/10/2009 18:11:57 »
do you guys know why different labs have different ranges for the same test but also have same units for example.

quest diagnotstic
total testosterone
250 - 1100 ngdl

AEL
280 -1070 ng/dl

labcorp
175-781 ng/dl

it is like that for free testoterone and this is the one without bioavailable.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: 12/10/2009 22:41:41 »
This goes back to a theory about POIS that we've discussed - the better the "quality" of orgasm, the less severe the symptoms of POIS are.
It stands to reason that better quality orgasms release more dopamine, which in turn inhibits the prolactin release, and possibly neutralises the symptoms of POIS.
I don't remember about this theory, too much data here :) What you say is very possible. Some people have more energy and feel better after orgasm. For me the very good orgasms can cause the worst POIS episodes. Maybe because prolactin is also increased. We had a discussion about this study : "The post-orgasmic prolactin increase following intercourse is greater than following masturbation and suggests greater satiety"  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095799

It seems possible that if POIS sufferers have an existing problem with low dopamine, even a normal secretion of prolactin will decrease dopamine enough to cause problems.

Martin, I think that what hurray means by "the very good [quality] orgasm" is not necessarily the explosive/exciting one but the orgasm that is more entwined with the "quality of the relationship".

Hurray, can you clarify?
« Last Edit: 12/10/2009 23:45:04 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: 12/10/2009 23:47:04 »

do you guys know why different labs have different ranges for the same test but also have same units for example.

quest diagnotstic
total testosterone
250 - 1100 ngdl

AEL
280 -1070 ng/dl

labcorp
175-781 ng/dl

it is like that for free testoterone and this is the one without bioavailable.

I noticed that too on mine. No clue.

I googled the question, here are some "answers":
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=why+different+labs+have+different+ranges%3F&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

« Last Edit: 13/10/2009 00:11:01 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: 13/10/2009 00:03:25 »

hi
i'm new here
i'm so happy  to join you
i'm  from belgium 27y male  (sorry my english isn't so good)
yes, i 'm a Pois sufferer, it caused me many probleme in my life (separation,depression,weaknes....)
this syndrome destroyed me life, i live alone no girlfriend no wife  no masturbation ...

Bruxe, since we at this forum have some strong theories of POIS and hormonal imbalance, maybe the Belgian Endocrine Society can help you find an endocrinologist who is familar with sexual problems:
http://www.endocrinesociety.be/
« Last Edit: 13/10/2009 00:05:36 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: 13/10/2009 00:16:45 »

hey guys, anybody think that POIS could just be a symptom of depression?

In my case, I don't think so.

Why?

Over many, many years.............

I have felt "down".............................strong POIS

I have felt "up" (even elated)..............strong POIS

"Up" includes periods of my life with AND without effective antidepressant medication.
« Last Edit: 13/10/2009 00:18:38 by demografx »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: 13/10/2009 00:35:43 »

Martin, I think that what hurray means by "the very good [quality] orgasm" is not necessarily the explosive/exciting one but the orgasm that is more entwined with the "quality of the relationship".

Hurray, can you clarify?

this prolactin stuff is very interesting, but for the people who say that sexual excitement, or any kind of intense excitement can cause pois like symptoms, the following statement would negate this theory. "prolactin levels were unaffected by sexual arousal, increases in plasma prolactin during sexual stimulation are orgasm-dependent, suggesting that prolactin may regulate a negative-feedback sexual-satiation mechanism".  then again we do have pois, which means there is somthing physioloicaly wrong/different with are bodies.

the study said that blood was drawn automatically by a machine at intervals during/after masterbation. i think somthing like this could tell us what is intiating this negative cascade of effects in our bodies.  it would at least tell us if our bodies are working the same way during sexual stimulation/orgasm as every body else.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: 13/10/2009 05:15:07 »
I was wondering if somebody could take Benadryl allergy and/or motrin to see if they have relief of at least some their symptoms.  Something is helping me but I'm not sure what it is.
I am taking vitamin B's, chelated magnesium, calcium magnesium, and motrin.  Even rhodiola rosea.  I've also been stretching my neck out and rotating it (not sure if that's really helping me or not). 
But I would like if somebody has either motrin or benadryl allergy to take some and tell me how you feel, if you don't feel a difference it just cancels those out for me.  I don't think it is the vitamins I'm taking, even though I really "felt" the good feeling of vitamin B after I haven't taken it in a long time.  Thank you

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: 13/10/2009 05:51:46 »

Laurac, interesting about prolactin. For a VERY long time I was running around this planet with sky-high prolactin (10X the norm). I can't make heads or tails out of it meaning anything though (for me).

I notice a number of people saying that arousal-only can create POIS. For me, it's the opposite: if I'm aroused yet don't take it to "the next step", I feel stronger and more positive. I've seen this sentiment repeated by other people a number of times in my reading over the years.

Interesting opposites in people!

« Last Edit: 14/10/2009 16:30:58 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: 13/10/2009 05:59:25 »

Mat, many thanks for updating the POIS website this last weekend!
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Your work is very much appreciated.

Offline Danny_Boy

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: 13/10/2009 06:25:08 »
Dear guys,

I was very busy during the summer, so I only had time to come now.

* Different lab ranges: this is simple. There are no nationwide standards on ranges, so each lab has to do their own research on this. They take volunteers, measure their whatever (T, glucose...) and do the statistics. However, with a different distribution of the values in different volunteer groups, you get sometimes very different result - for example in Prague, Czech republic (where I live) we have two labs, where the boundary for becoming hypohomo-cysteinemic is 11 in one and 12,... in the other, so your diagnosis basically depends on which lab you are sent to.

* Prolactin/dopamine: I have myself taken Mucuna pruriens, which is a plant rich in L-DOPA (the very thing used to treat Alzheimer's sufferers), that the body converts directly to dopamine and..with no effect on POIS. However, my prolactin level was in the low normal on a blood test, so maybe folks who have higher prolactin could use Mucuna. It is dirt cheap at swansons.

* Just an addition of mine to the theory of lauracostis here: in the axons (the output pathways of neurons) the signal spreads by a long cascade of Na/K pumps. So if there is some problem with bioelectricity (gradients and stuff), I can imagine, that this must have a great impact on the brain.

* The CHI stuff: I have myself been a great believer of this. I can testify that properly done Qi Gong exercises are energizing and boost me both physically and mentally, and that I get weaker with each O. On the other hand I have never experienced any relief from TCM designed diet. However, I also believe, that chi is just a nickname for something to be discovered later (like "bioelectricity") or stuff. The connection of O´s and losing energy is quite clumsy, because as probably many more guys here, if I have sex and don´t come, I feel some POIS-like stuff too. Namely, my limbs get really cold and I get a slightly empty feeling in the head. So in my view, it will have something to do with neurotransmitters to.

* My experience in the last months: I started taking something called DMAE. It is naturally occurring in fish and has the ability to raise neurochemicals. Together with practising the above mentioned QiGong practise and doing a 20 mins cardio at least 2x a week, I managed to reduce my POIS symptoms to being slightly dumb the very day of a NE, however even in this state of dumbness I am much better mentally that I used to be in my best days some 3-4 months ago. Dieting is extremely important - as someone here said that pasta doesn´t make them feel good and they are always hungry...I used to be the same hungry before I started eating fats on a regular basis. Also, when I eat pasta, pastry of other grain-stuff, I get literally debilitated for a day - a noticeable weakness in muscles, a noticeable brain fog etc, even though an allergy test did not reveal any reaction to gluten. So if you want to check another thing, try to go gluten-free for a month.

In the mean time, I am going to try fenugreek and cranberries, so that we have another test subject:)

Take care and keep up the good sense of humor present in this forum,
D.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: 13/10/2009 07:28:26 »

American Society of Andrology
http://www.andrologysociety.com/

Thanks to Mat780, for recommending that we make the ASA aware of our condition. I just sent an outreach letter to the President, asking for any guidance in studying POIS..

Let's hope for a reply!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: 13/10/2009 23:58:37 »
Watson Pharmaceuticals

We got a great reception today! :)

The woman I spoke to demonstrated that by writing up our conversation and circulating it to several departments.

She went to our forum site here as we spoke. She asked to see Dr Waldinger's paper and I will send it tonight, along with other POIS links of interest.  I said Waldinger's paper adds credibility when we show it to our physician and that a "Watson Study Of POIS" would help too, especially with endocrinologists.

No promises, but I do feel good about this one.

She also said I'm a great spokesman for POIS :) But personally, I think Johnny Depp would do better!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: 14/10/2009 00:45:54 »
Watson Pharmaceuticals

The woman I spoke to demonstrated that by writing up our conversation and circulating it to several departments.

She went to our forum site here as we spoke. She asked to see Dr Waldinger's paper and I will send it tonight, along with other POIS links of interest.  I said Waldinger's paper adds credibility when we show it to our physician and that a "Watson Study Of POIS" would help too, especially with endocrinologists.

She also said I'm a great spokesman for POIS :) But personally, I think Johnny Depp would do better!

Fantastic job on that. 

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5790 on: 14/10/2009 00:47:34 »
* Different lab ranges: this is simple. There are no nationwide standards on ranges, so each lab has to do their own research on this. They take volunteers, measure their whatever (T, glucose...) and do the statistics. However, with a different distribution of the values in different volunteer groups, you get sometimes very different result - for example in Prague, Czech republic (where I live) we have two labs, where the boundary for becoming hypohomo-cysteinemic is 11 in one and 12,... in the other, so your diagnosis basically depends on which lab you are sent to.

adding to that.   

on testosterone the labs use different testing methods which also influences the results and ranges.  So it is better to stick with one lab to avoid confusion.

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: 14/10/2009 01:03:06 »
Thanks for the responses martin and laura, plenty of food for thought!

Hurray, can you clarify?

The word "quality" was partly to acknowledge that some orgasms produce more/less POIS symptoms than others. Counterpoints has referred to "good" and "bad" orgasms, with the good ones actually alleviating his symptoms. According to the POIS website, one sufferer was cured when he started a new relaionship - perhaps the altered brain chemistry of being newly in love can help mitigate the effects of POIS.

Wikipedia says this about dopamines effect on prolactin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine

Regulating prolactin secretion
Dopamine is the primary neuroendocrine inhibitor of the secretion of prolactin from the anterior pituitary gland. [12] Dopamine produced by neurons in the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus is secreted into the hypothalamo-hypophysial blood vessels of the median eminence, which supply the pituitary gland. The lactotrope cells that produce prolactin, in the absence of dopamine, secrete prolactin continuously; dopamine inhibits this secretion. Thus, in the context of regulating prolactin secretion, dopamine is occasionally called prolactin-inhibiting factor (PIF), prolactin-inhibiting hormone (PIH), or prolactostatin. Prolactin also seems to inhibit dopamine release, such as after orgasm, and is chiefly responsible for the refractory period.

It seems that there is normally an equilibrium between dopamine and prolactin.

It's possible that the milder POIS symptoms that some people get from sexual stimulation without orgasm are caused by the above effect - after stimulation, dopamine levels drop below their normal baseline, allowing some prolactin secretion to take place. People with a higher baseline of dopamine would not be affected.

Another possibility is that in some people, high dopamine orgasms causes a huge initial release of prolactin to compensate, draining the brains store of prolactin. Once dopamine levels return to normal, there is not enough prolactin left to trigger the symptoms of POIS. A lower dopamine orgasm would trigger a smaller prolactin release, leaving enough prolactin left for the subsequent prolactin secretion to trigger full-blown POIS symptoms. One danger would be that a high dopamine orgasm could lead to an individuals supply of dopamine being exhausted rather than the prolactin supply, which would lead to an extremely unpleasant bout of POIS.

That's my attempt to pin the blame for the whole POIS monster on dopamine/prolactin  ;) - I would welcome any thoughts on this!

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: 14/10/2009 01:08:21 »
Great work Demo - thanks for putting more time and effort into our cause, it would be wonderful to see further research into POIS taking place as a result of this!

Offline mat780

• View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: 14/10/2009 01:14:44 »
Watson Pharmaceuticals

These are terrific news!

If we keep on working this hard we will have good news soon!!!

I feel proud of the people on this Forum. It makes me hopeful   :D

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: 14/10/2009 01:47:32 »

Thanks, everybody, and I agree with Mat, there's much reason to be hopeful!

ps - Watson Pharmaceuticals is the 5th largest pharmaceutical company in the United States:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_Pharmaceuticals
« Last Edit: 14/10/2009 01:55:01 by demografx »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: 14/10/2009 03:31:07 »
I was wondering if somebody could take Benadryl allergy and/or motrin to see if they have relief of at least some their symptoms.  Something is helping me but I'm not sure what it is.
I am taking vitamin B's, chelated magnesium, calcium magnesium, and motrin.  Even rhodiola rosea.  I've also been stretching my neck out and rotating it (not sure if that's really helping me or not). 
But I would like if somebody has either motrin or benadryl allergy to take some and tell me how you feel, if you don't feel a difference it just cancels those out for me.  I don't think it is the vitamins I'm taking, even though I really "felt" the good feeling of vitamin B after I haven't taken it in a long time.  Thank you
motrin/ibprophen gives me some relief from intial symptoms during first cupple days, expecialy right after o. alieve/naproxen sodium gives me better relief.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: 14/10/2009 03:37:21 »
Watson Pharmaceuticals

good job demo your on the ball right now

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: 14/10/2009 04:46:31 »

CCconfucius, if you (and Danny_Boy) wish, maybe you could speak with Peter Weiss, he's the original Czech researcher I spoke with who strongly recommended testosterone to me for POIS. He was highly recommended by a foremost sex researcher at Johns Hopkins University. If you want his email address, please PM me.
« Last Edit: 14/10/2009 06:53:04 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: 14/10/2009 06:57:42 »

Mat, very nice color scheme on "updated and "new" on the website!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: 14/10/2009 20:29:20 »
POIS Resource List:

I just sent this info to Watson Pharmaceuticals (with a letter). Feel free to use these items to send out to anyone you wish, so that they can better familiarize themselves with POIS:

POIS research study: Dr Marcel Waldinger
(if you don't have PDF, get one from demografx)

POIS Forum member survey database:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS video:

POIS Forum Compendium:

POIS Forum:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.0

POIS Information website:

POIS wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postorgasmic_illness_syndrome

NY Times article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

OR---------

IF YOU WANT TO USE ABBREVIATED URL's/LINKS:

(before sending, remove the spaces in tinyurl links)

POIS research study: Dr Marcel Waldinger
(If you don't have PDF, get one from demografx)

POIS Forum member survey database:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Video:
h t t p : / / t i n y u r l . c o m / y g 8 9 3 g j

POIS Forum Compendium:

POIS Forum:
h t t p : / / t i n y u r l . c o m / d 3 u v 8 8

POIS Information website

POIS wikipedia:
h t t p : / / t i n y u r l . c o m / y g e x b 3 r

NY Times article
h t t p : / / t i n y u r l . c o m / y g f w g k 4

« Last Edit: 15/10/2009 07:37:57 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5799 on: 14/10/2009 20:29:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length