The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6460789 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5825 on: 18/10/2009 08:17:47 »
Hurray, I now understand better your position on hormones I agree.

Just curious, hurray, why you stress hormones over, say, neurotransmitters? (I do, too, but I can't explain why).

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: 18/10/2009 08:26:20 »
Hi,

I haven't posted here in a while.

I am currently considering trying various amino acids for extended periods of time.

I am considering (not at the same time) 5HTP, TMG (not an aminoacid but... hey.. :p), Theanine, Tyrosine, Arginine (all with B1 and B6)
Also I have been taking Glutamine at high doses I am not sure whether it will help or not.

Do you have any comments/experience with the amino acids mentionned above ?

Also,

I have noticed sometimes I can tell before orgasm, even before I start with anything that I am going to have a ... malaise after orgasm if I bring things to their conclusion.
Sometimes I can feel the malaise (although extremely weak) just by getting mentally stimulated (looking at adult material etc).
It feels abit like I am flushed when this happens.
I dont feel warm or anything just I guess like there would be vasodilation or constriction happening. Especially in the lips and face. This feeling also usually goes with mild nausea.

Also,

I had my testosterone levels checked 3 times now. free testosterone is still below the lower limit for my age.
I also had other hormones checked (prolactin and the like) all came back very normal.
« Last Edit: 18/10/2009 11:43:43 by mister_z »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: 18/10/2009 15:20:14 »
I took 1 pill of tyrosine out of POIS, it was a good experience (aphrodisiac and increased sense of rythm when listening to music.. perceived like that)

Prevalence rates of POIS ?Here is a document about DHAT syndrome which is by definition "semen loss anxiety" , I don't agree POIS is psychological. What I found interesting in this were the numbers 11,7% and 30%!And the description (losing semen in urine). http://www.indianpsychiatry.com/dhat..pdf
« Last Edit: 18/10/2009 15:23:15 by martin88 »

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: 18/10/2009 17:01:45 »
Hurray, I now understand better your position on hormones I agree.

Just curious, hurray, why you stress hormones over, say, neurotransmitters? (I do, too, but I can't explain why).

Just reminding myself of the difference between neurotransmitters and hormones:

Hormones vs Neurotransmitters

Similarities:
Both H and NT are packaged in vesicles
Both are expelled from cell through process of exocytosis
Both bind with specific receptors
Both depolarize target membrane

Differences:

Hormones
1)   secreted by neurons and endocrine cells
2)   secreted into bloodstream
3)   travel nanometers to meters
4)   long latency of action
5)   no voluntary control

Neurotransmitters
1)   secreted by neurons
2)   secreted into synaptic cleft
3)   travel 20-30 nanometers
4)   action is generally immediate
5)   some voluntary control

From http://www.geocities.com/hhugs2001/endocrine_system.htm

It could well be that neurotransmitters are the most important mechanism behind POIS, Demo. Unfortunately, the extreme difficulty in gaining accurate measurements of neurotransmitters means we might have to settle for taking blood samples of hormone levels, and using these to perhaps determine what is happening inside our brain. Luckily, POIS also has physical symptoms, there must be an excellent chance we can link physical symptoms to changing hormone levels at some point.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5829 on: 18/10/2009 17:41:32 »
has anyone done ECG, EEG, CT, MRI, blood pressure, glycemia, blood count, temperature, hormones right after orgasm?

also has anyone looked at midodrine ?
« Last Edit: 18/10/2009 17:57:20 by mister_z »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: 18/10/2009 20:06:17 »
Mr. Z
has anyone done ECG, EEG, CT, MRI, blood pressure, glycemia, blood count, temperature, hormones right after orgasm?

Post orgasm I have had bloodwork and sugar levels checked, both were normal.  I have had both a CT and MRI years ago for my diplopia, but I don't remember whether they were in POIS, I'm thinking they were not. But I once noticed a definite increase in blood pressure in POIS, which I was able to demonstrate to my doctor of that time. This was the only concrete "proof" I have ever had to demonstrate the physiological change.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: 18/10/2009 20:17:20 »
Personally I measured my blood pressure within 2 minutes after orgasm and I had low blood pressure (very low in fact)

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #5832 on: 18/10/2009 21:06:30 »

my hangover is very similar to pois

Me too. I stopped drinking 16 years ago.

Jet lag and exercise also cause strange body/mind reactions.

It has been about 22 years.  I had the same symptoms from alcohol as POIS not just a next day hangover but long term pain and stiffness in neck, shoulder(particularly) and upper back.  I thought it might be a ph change but no test could provide any concurrence.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: 18/10/2009 21:12:46 »
about pH changes. could systemic acidosis be a factor?

Oh and did anyone bother checking with an oxymeter?

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: 18/10/2009 23:48:40 »

also has anyone looked at midodrine ?
midodrine looks interesting, but my doctor probably wont prescribe it to me since i just convinced him let me try various beta blockers a month ago. if a came back with in a months time with a hypotensive medication "midodrine" he would have me on a short leash.  i still think that low brain oxygen is partly to blame for cognitive dysfunction.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5835 on: 19/10/2009 01:09:51 »

Exactly what needs to be done! I did MRI of the brain (pituitary) and some of the above, but a week after.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5836 on: 19/10/2009 01:26:07 »

I am considering (not at the same time) 5HTP, TMG (not an aminoacid but... hey.. :p), Theanine, Tyrosine, Arginine (all with B1 and B6) Also I have been taking Glutamine.

Do you have any comments/experience with the amino acids mentioned above ?

Below are previous Forum discussions which mentioned the above. Message #s do change, so please look for the approximate Message #.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=amino+acid+OR+Glutamine+OR+5HTP+OR+TMG+OR+Theanine+OR+Tyrosine+OR+Arginine+OR+B1+OR+B6%2C+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&btnG=Search&aq=o&oq=&aqi=
« Last Edit: 19/10/2009 02:09:06 by demografx »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5837 on: 19/10/2009 05:41:51 »

Exactly what needs to be done! I did MRI of the brain (pituitary) and some of the above, but a week after.
demo, anything abnormal with pituitary gland

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: 19/10/2009 06:42:00 »
Laurac, they found a "partially empty sella", which didn't seem to concern the endocrinologist at all. He was looking for tumors and found none.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: 19/10/2009 09:17:02 »
Laurac, they found a "partially empty sella", which didn't seem to concern the endocrinologist at all. He was looking for tumors and found none.
does that mean you have prolactinemia then ? (sorry I am not familiar with your case)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5840 on: 19/10/2009 18:43:08 »
I had hyperprolactinemia (10x the ref range!) and I self cured it - with endo approval - by quitting reglan, which I read about in wikipedia. Yes, that's prolly why MRI was ordered.

Offline Dean93

• View Profile

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #5842 on: 21/10/2009 02:49:50 »
I am new to this forum, and term Pois.  I am actually pretty excited that I found you guys because I didnt think there was anyone else out there.  I have been a suferer for a decade now, and I striving to heal myself.  I originally tried five years ago with a physician, urologist, and endocrineologist who offered nothing.  I ended up settling for an SSRI prescription that only yield results for a couple of weeks.  Now, I am back on the hunt and over the course of the last month I have tried nearly every amino acid precussor of the 4 main neurotransmitters.  I do also suffer from PE, and it is my main focus.  After undergoing hours of research, my main focus is now on lowering histamine levels.  I was benefiting slowly from SAM-E, L-trytophan, and L-Tyrosine, and Gaba.  Last week I decided to add Clarinex to my cocktail, which changed things for me dramatically.  I have noticed since the addition my body is craving much more L-Tryptophan.  My Pois Is 75 percent better on Sam-e and clarinex. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: 21/10/2009 05:13:44 »

ophicus1213, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Congratulations and thanks much for sharing the good news on your 75% improvement with Sam-e and clarinex!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

If you want a copy (PDF), send me a Private Message with your regular email address and I'll send you back the PDF.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus more than 400,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

« Last Edit: 21/10/2009 05:17:29 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: 21/10/2009 05:15:03 »

ophicus1213, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: over 2 years' worth of posts from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found on the Internet, but not on this forum.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: 21/10/2009 05:26:16 »

Watson Pharmaceuticals

Slight snag resolved today. My letter, plus attachments, was sent 3X, and was only retrieved successfully today when I called.

Our contact promised to write up a possible POIS study scenario and send it on to a company committee that meets several times a year for consideration.

I wrote again today asking when I can call to follow up with Watson to see what our status is.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: 21/10/2009 18:27:33 »

I originally tried five years ago with a physician, urologist, and endocrineologist who offered nothing.

Sadly, that is an all-too-common experience for most of us. We're working hard to change that, and we are succeeding!  :)

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: 21/10/2009 23:26:18 »
Watson Pharmaceuticals certainly sounds like they are taking POIS seriously. Excellent news, Demo!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5848 on: 21/10/2009 23:42:33 »
i just have a question on reasearch.
where do you start when doing reasearch for pois.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: 22/10/2009 00:02:19 »

CC, good question. We'll find out when we get a researcher  :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5849 on: 22/10/2009 00:02:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums