The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6461823 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5850 on: 22/10/2009 00:12:46 »

Watson Pharmaceuticals certainly sounds like they are taking POIS seriously. Excellent news, Demo!

Many thanks, hurray! Keep in mind it's a giant corporation and as such, takes its time, and will need multiple staff approval.

But so far so good!! (And it doesn't hurt that I'm a walking testimony to their product working!)

By the way, I'm still pinching myself to see if I'm awake: since I increased my testosterone dose 50% AFTER hitting normal T-range, and supplemented that with a Day Zero increase in stimulants...I'm practically POIS-free now! 

It is simply unbelievable after 30+ years of wretched, ugly POIS!

I sincerely hope that this gives much hope to others!
« Last Edit: 22/10/2009 00:14:24 by demografx »

Offline Looking_for_answer

• View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: 22/10/2009 00:33:59 »

My POIS treatment

Lately, I've been able to maintain almost 100% POIS-free episodes (increased testosterone and increased adderall). Can't really explain it (the near-100%). Maybe the treatment is catching up and is in effect a "wholesale cure"!

Today, when Day Zero symptoms started creeping up, I forced myself out into the sunshine...and it worked! (My natural tendency on Day Zero is to maximize physical/mental passivity). Simplistic? You bet! ;D

i believe there is fundamentally nothing wrong with us and drugs are just a quick way out.

Very interesting point of view, not sure I agree.

Anyone else have a thought about that?

Personally i think there is something wrong with us and that thing was dormant untill excessive pleasure aggravated. Untill we can find out what is wrong we dont know if drug will be a quick fix or it will take longer.  

Yes ok by 'fundamentally wrong' i mean something like a genetic deffect or something like that, ie that probably needs pills for life (for example, bad eyesight needs glasses/contacts for life or surgery). But i dont exclude that we might have had a dormant problem for quite some time before symptoms appeared, I just mean that i believe it can be cured by natural means.

For example, suppose that as a kid someone is (asymptomatically) chronically dehydrated, or drink milk every meal, or his mother had low zinc levels during pregnancy, or had some digestive issues because some enzyme werent produced sufficiently, etc and end up with a low level of zinc. then it would be dormant for a while and would only get exposed after many ejaculations. i would not call that a fundamental problem, but rather a fixable problem.

dont forget that pharmaceutical compagnies only want to make profit (duh) so they will tell you of a cure only if they can sell u enough pills, ie u arent made aware of possible natural treatment and u likely end up with a life pill requiremnt, not a short pill treatment (like antibiotics). im too young to accept that sentence already.

• View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: 22/10/2009 00:35:26 »
As anyone tried to taste zinc tally?

• View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: 22/10/2009 00:49:42 »

My POIS treatment

Lately, I've been able to maintain almost 100% POIS-free episodes (increased testosterone and increased adderall). Can't really explain it (the near-100%). Maybe the treatment is catching up and is in effect a "wholesale cure"!

Today, when Day Zero symptoms started creeping up, I forced myself out into the sunshine...and it worked! (My natural tendency on Day Zero is to maximize physical/mental passivity). Simplistic? You bet! ;D

sorry if im confused, by day zero do u mean in the hours after sexual activity? and were you in the sun enough to actually see a change in skin color?

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: 22/10/2009 00:51:30 »
Good to hear that you are still getting the better of POIS, Demo! My Fenugreek has all but killed the social anxiety component of POIS I used to suffer from, and as a bizarre side-effect my hair is always really glossy and lustrous - well, I'm not complaining :)

Like you Demo I am cautiously optimistic about the latest developments. But I think Watson could do very well from researching a POIS drug. Although many posters here suffer POIS acutely, I believe that POIS is a sliding scale, and potentially millions of people may suffer from a milder form of POIS which could also be treatable.

If you posed the question "Have you ever suffered from sexual exhaustion?" to 100 people, I bet a reasonable number of them would answer "yes".

• View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: 22/10/2009 01:08:08 »
ok last post for now.

if people wish, we could have a post with symptoms that everyone could quote and add all of his own health problems, even the ones he believes are totally unrelated to POIS and equally "embarrassing", like having testicules that shrink too much at the gym. Then if someone is computer litterate enough, we could turn the lists of all problems/symptoms into a survey in which we could vote on each item that affect us. End result would be a huge list of health problems/symptoms and their frequencies among POIS sufferes.. we could have surprises.

i was trying to make a short list myself, so i was reading page 247. i saw adrenal/chronic fatigue, immune system deficiencies, low testosterone, concentration/memory issues. i know im annoying with my zinc but i cant help to notice that these are the main effect of a zinc deficiency. Also 2-3 members on that page talked about alcolism, one of the leading cause of zinc deficiencies. I think a survey as mentionned above could really help. and every new member, in the introduction message, could be invited to take part in it. so it would keep evolving.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: 22/10/2009 06:51:24 »

My POIS treatment

sorry if im confused, by day zero do u mean in the hours after sexual activity? and were you in the sun enough to actually see a change in skin color?

Yes and no.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: 22/10/2009 06:55:14 »
LFA,

1. Have you read through our previous discussions about zinc?
http://www.google.com/search?q=zinc+POIS+site:http://thenakedscientists.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

2. Did you see our online POIS survey questionnaire to see if you can recommend adding to it?

Both were discussed in your welcome post.
« Last Edit: 22/10/2009 07:05:38 by demografx »

Offline hurray

• View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: 22/10/2009 18:16:38 »
Welcome new sufferers .
We exceeded the number of 300 cases.
Hi, hurray. It's amazing that fenugreek helps you with social anxiety.    
It would be nice to talk about this with other social anxiety sufferers (Non-Pois).
Do you take 3 caps a day every day or just after ?
I will retry fenugreek extract after glutamine test.

I take one cap of Solgar Fenugreek (370mg raw fenugreek seed powder, 150mg fenugreek seed powdered extract) every day while in POIS, although I will often take it outside POIS for its positive social effects. I also take a couple of caps before and after orgasm as a precaution, it does help with the immediate after-effects but it isn't a 100% cure.

Fenugreek is supposed to help the body produce oxytocin (it is used by nursing mothers to encourage milk production) which could explain its effects - another theory is that it is a precursor to estrogen, which is thought to enhance sociability.

Good idea B_Jim - you would imagine that social anxiety sufferers would have discovered fenugreek themselves, but a quick google search didn't bring much up. Perhaps I should join a forum and ask around.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: 22/10/2009 21:25:41 »
Welcome new sufferers .
We exceeded the number of 300 cases.
Hi, hurray. It's amazing that fenugreek helps you with social anxiety.    
It would be nice to talk about this with other social anxiety sufferers (Non-Pois).
Do you take 3 caps a day every day or just after ?
I will retry fenugreek extract after glutamine test.
---
I had an orgasm 3 days ago and I catch a cold the day after... There is really something wrong with immune system.
The tempeartures are cooler here and I feel much more sensitive to cold during the first hours dispite I have no more fevers (8-15 hours later) or diarrheas (3-7 hours later)since i stopped sugar.

That same thing happend to me, i did three big O's, and after every Big O my temprature went up and felt more sick but went a way after sleep. 
and then 2 days later i get the a flu without big O that last two days.   
This never happend during the summer i just got hot for mins and body temprature was back to normal.

i was scarred i thought got swine because i never get sick.   

Am in line with you here.
flu like symptoms
headaches
fatigue.
seems to lead to immune dysfuction.

so will it be the immune system is to strong or the immune system gets weaken after pois. or a totall different story.
« Last Edit: 22/10/2009 21:29:47 by CCconfucius »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: 22/10/2009 21:35:53 »
I was wondering if you guys can please Pm me the outside reasearch that you have done.  i want links, books. I am going to start doing some extensive reasearch and i want to know where to start and what to skip.
I will start with alcohol+weightgain+immunesystem.
alcohol and weight gain were the two main things that change in my life when i noticed full effects of pois.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: 23/10/2009 04:38:42 »
MUST CHECK OUT/ 2ND TO THE LAST PARAGRAPH.
http://www.nutramed.com/immunology/mediators.htm, -
This website talks about cytokins and interlukins and how they affect thinking.
« Last Edit: 23/10/2009 04:41:41 by CCconfucius »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: 23/10/2009 06:28:16 »

I had an orgasm 3 days ago and I catch a cold the day after... There is really something wrong with immune system.

B_Jim, in my earlier years of POIS, I was constantly getting colds the day after, until I learned to keep my physical and mental activity/output to a bare minimum. That worked for me very well. (But I became a zombie).

I agree, it always felt like orgasm immediately lowers the proper functioning of the immune system: a sudden and very strong feeling of susceptibility to colds and flu.
« Last Edit: 23/10/2009 06:35:04 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: 23/10/2009 06:33:41 »

We exceeded the number of 300 [POIS] cases.

Great to hear!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: 23/10/2009 06:38:18 »

I was wondering if you guys can please Pm me the outside reasearch that you have done.  i want links, books.

Doesn't the welcome-newcomer post contain all that?

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5865 on: 23/10/2009 12:12:59 »
Personally I rarely get flu, but have allergies. I had allergies before my first orgasm which could eventually cause a tendency to develop POIS (?)
The flu-like symptom described by some of you in POIS does not appply to me or I don't have enough experience with flu. I'd say I'm just very tired after a short effort in POIS.

Do you get flu the day after or immediately?
Bad sleep weakens the immune system and has often been reported in POIS.

I forgot to report that after a nocturnal emission I always have half sleep for the rest of the night with very pronounced racing mind, I can't relax.
« Last Edit: 23/10/2009 12:18:51 by martin88 »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: 23/10/2009 12:48:50 »

Watson Pharmaceuticals
Our contact promised to write up a possible POIS study scenario and send it on to a company committee that meets several times a year for consideration.
I wrote again today asking when I can call to follow up with Watson to see what our status is.
Great efforts Demo, hope this will work!

Good to hear that you are still getting the better of POIS, Demo! My Fenugreek has all but killed the social anxiety component of POIS I used to suffer from.

I believe that POIS is a sliding scale, and potentially millions of people may suffer from a milder form of POIS which could also be treatable.
I think my sociability is not changed in POIS, but since my cognitive problems will eventually be noticed by people this is causing social anxiety.
Maybe we have excessive dopamine out of POIS and not enough in POIS, like hyperglycemia followed by hypoglycemia. Fenugreek is reducing dopamine..

I believe a lot of cases of depression can be undiagnosed POIS.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: 23/10/2009 13:44:02 »

From what I have been reading so far, it would seem to me that starting at puberty the human brain is flooded with "random" spikes of hormones; which define our behavior for the rest of our lives. So, personally I believe ANYTHING that we do/experience from puberty until death is heavily influenced by our hormonal/neurotransmitter state.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: 23/10/2009 14:28:14 »
I was wondering and looking for a simple answer actually...

As far as blood pressure is concerned does dopamine lower or raise it?
How about serotonin? testosterone?

I have noticed that after orgasm when I dont get the shakiness, nausea, cold, sweats etc... I get irritable and eventually sad.
My father (after interrogation confessed that after orgasm he also feels sad)

Should I give SSRI (or SNRIs) a go? I tried Paxil a long time ago, gave me panic attacks so never finished the first 2 weeks of "adaptation". (same problem with imipramine)
The problem I have with SSRI/SNRI (and other psychoactive drugs) is the time they take to work and their addictive properties. I'm not sure I could be bothered to renew
prescriptions for such drugs.

I'd like to give testosterone patches a shot (even though it is my free testosterone that is low) just to briefly see how I feel on them. I wouldn't intend to stay on them for a long period also as I suspect that it would soon become useless as the testosterone would just get bound. Is there btw a proven way to unbind testosterone ?
I doubt my doctor would agree to give me testosterone even as a short trial because my free testosterone levels are indeed lower than normal range but not dramatically so; or should I insist ?

Offline nsf

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: 23/10/2009 17:40:33 »
I have observed my blood pressure level goes up significantly in 24-hours after orgasm. It takes days, sometimes weeks, before feeling being back to normal. My BP readings goes beyond 150/90. Do anyone feel similar symptoms?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: 23/10/2009 18:25:24 »

B_Jim, in my earlier years of POIS, I was constantly getting colds the day after, until I learned to keep my physical and mental activity/output to a bare minimum.

I agree. Many testimonies refers to "cold after sex". In fact, the  best thing to do is to sleep, if possible.

Yes, I agree! Sleep is the most effective tool. Naps, even for just a few minutes have often broken or at least reduced the POIS spell (hell!) for me!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: 23/10/2009 18:30:11 »
I have observed my blood pressure level goes up significantly in 24-hours after orgasm. It takes days, sometimes weeks, before feeling being back to normal. My BP readings goes beyond 150/90. Do anyone feel similar symptoms?

that has happned to me once but i never checked after that.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: 23/10/2009 18:45:24 »

I doubt my doctor would agree to give me testosterone even as a short trial because my free testosterone levels are indeed lower than normal range but not dramatically so; or should I insist ?

I insisted. Insisting worked.

I suspect that taking more T than necessary, i.e., going beyond normal range might be the trick for POIS (vs. for hypogonadism, the usual treatment application). It certainly was for me. Just my theory, though! Not proven! Caution please, and work with an open-minded endo!

Insisting on treatment (I emphatically said it was for POIS, and said it loud and clear as if POIS were a major worldwide illness : - ). And this was 7 years ago! I was desperate, after 30 years of POIS Agony/Life Destruction and then finding a highly regarded Czech sex researcher who thought testosterone was the key to POIS. Insisting was necessary before working with my endocrinologist. No need to insist now.

I don't trust most T-testing. Prior to my current endo, my tests were mostly done badly with GP's and urologists, including one test that classified me as a female and said my T was too high!! (There is no way that my first name is even close to a female name!)

I trust the testing now (which includes much repeat testing of not just T (incl free T and bioavailable T), but related hormones such as LH) And I very much trust my endo - who was and is open to POIS, a very important point - and the University lab, which has a strong reputation.
« Last Edit: 23/10/2009 18:54:01 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: 23/10/2009 18:58:39 »

I think goingcrazy would agree. I responded negatively to one of his posts about that, but maybe I was wrong.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: 23/10/2009 19:07:52 »

I was wondering if you guys can please Pm me the outside reasearch that you have done.  i want links, books.

Doesn't the welcome-newcomer post contain all that?

It only contains what people have posted i want what hasnt been posted.

I want more material other than summaries.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5874 on: 23/10/2009 19:07:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums