The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6440336 times)

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #5900 on: 26/10/2009 01:14:02 »
i figured i should note that even outside of POIS, I have poor memory recall. you know how you watch a tv show or movie, or an event happens in yer life, or a conversation you over hear, how you can later recall details of those things to others? yeah, i cant. have never been able to. when i try to remember specifics of things its like trying to recall a distant dream through a huge fog of confusion. so maybe i have a memory dysfunction to begin with, where a normally functioning O causes problems? my grandfather had Alzheimers. maybe another factor? i was wondering if any other POIS sufferers suffer from some kind of memory dysfunction even outside of POIS?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: 26/10/2009 02:18:50 »

I was wondering if any other POIS sufferers suffer from some kind of memory dysfunction even outside of POIS?

I worry about this one. I've been told it's just aging-related memory decline (40 is worse than 30, 50 is worse than 40, etc.).

ADHD is another factor for me, although I'm skeptical of the diagnosis in general.

But I do know that stimulants, including caffeine, help me.

I periodically try to force myself to consciously remember things. Little things. Anything. I 'reward' myself for even spontaneous memory recall. You know, a thought pops in your head about some strange song you liked long ago and how it reminds you of some characters in your life.

I think that's the key: "use it or lose it".

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: 27/10/2009 03:00:55 »

Has anybody checked for any kind of adrenal tumors, I think adrenaline just may be released too much after sex.  All my POIS is now is a rush of adrenaline and energy or something that keeps me up at night, thats why i'm posting here at 6 in the morning

I do notice a rush of energy immediately afterwards, whereas the "normal" response for guys is to roll over and snooze.  ;D

Yes, thats really weird.  It's just the past 2 months where now if I orgasm I get a rush of energy, go temporarily manic, and than the crash a day aferward, but the POIS time has pretty much shortened in length, honestly lasting 3-4 days, sometimes 2 days after O instead of the 2 weeks it had taken me before.

Does anybody here have acne?  I think that might have something to do with my POIS, since I also tend to really break out after O.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: 27/10/2009 15:20:22 »
And Demo, doesn't this symptom seem like a "too much is being released" problem instead of any other, eg. candida, auto-immune, etc.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: 27/10/2009 19:40:23 »

GC, it could be that too much is being released. But it could also be that not enough is being released, I just don't know.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: 27/10/2009 20:42:21 »
Just curious does anybody know if doctor waldinger did any test to check immune response of his patients during study on pois,since he postulated that pois could be immune response.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: 27/10/2009 20:44:20 »

I think instead of thinking of pois as been caused by multiple things, we should look at it as something caused by one thing.  

CC, if that's true, then in my case, the "one thing" causing my POIS would be hypogonadism, i. e., my body produces insufficient tosterone.

do you know why you have hypogonadism, is it because of Lh production or just lack of testicles producing testosterone.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: 28/10/2009 00:51:48 »
The latter.

Offline mat780

• View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: 28/10/2009 01:29:01 »
i figured i should note that even outside of POIS, I have poor memory recall. you know how you watch a tv show or movie, or an event happens in yer life, or a conversation you over hear, how you can later recall details of those things to others? yeah, i cant. have never been able to. when i try to remember specifics of things its like trying to recall a distant dream through a huge fog of confusion. so maybe i have a memory dysfunction to begin with, where a normally functioning O causes problems? my grandfather had Alzheimers. maybe another factor? i was wondering if any other POIS sufferers suffer from some kind of memory dysfunction even outside of POIS?

I donít know if there is any relation with POIS, but I have a poor long memory too.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: 28/10/2009 03:18:49 »

Has anybody checked for any kind of adrenal tumors, I think adrenaline just may be released too much after sex.  All my POIS is now is a rush of adrenaline and energy or something that keeps me up at night, thats why i'm posting here at 6 in the morning

I do notice a rush of energy immediately afterwards, whereas the "normal" response for guys is to roll over and snooze.  ;D

Yes, thats really weird.  It's just the past 2 months where now if I orgasm I get a rush of energy, go temporarily manic, and than the crash a day aferward, but the POIS time has pretty much shortened in length, honestly lasting 3-4 days, sometimes 2 days after O instead of the 2 weeks it had taken me before.

Does anybody here have acne?  I think that might have something to do with my POIS, since I also tend to really break out after O.

any body ever take acutane?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: 28/10/2009 15:55:04 »

FROM Watson Pharmaceuticals
Today, October 28

Hi [demo],  I received your email [my follow up email to my initial email request to Watson to study POIS after my telephone discussion/introduction with Watson about POIS - demo]. I have been extremely busy and have not had a chance to write anything up for management. Please give me a week before you check in. I also got your voice mail. I cannot promise anything. I am the conveyor of information and I am not a decision maker. I will keep you posted as to when I send your information over to management. Have a great night!

Best Regards,

Associate Director, Biopharmaceutics
Watson Laboratories, Inc.
« Last Edit: 28/10/2009 17:33:20 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: 28/10/2009 16:05:22 »

Laurac, this prolly doesn't help, but both of my sons took Accutane with good results.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: 28/10/2009 16:11:00 »

GC, it could be that too much is being released. But it could also be that not enough is being released, I just don't know.

GC, afterthought: it could also be that just the right amount could be released. POIS might be due entirely to something else. We desperately need research on POIS by medical professionals!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: 28/10/2009 16:44:09 »
An open post to hurray, EDS, and Defsync

The three of you magnanimously pledged some financial support to studying POIS. Many thanks again, that was an incredibly wonderful gesture on your part!

By pledging, you have done enormous good to the cause of curing POIS, giving us all renewed hope and confidence that we're on the right track.

Just wondering lately, since the outside world of research is slow in rushing to our aid (we've been at this forum for 3 years now), how would you three feel about starting "somewhere". Anywhere. But Now! Using our own considerable resources?

A few of us here think that a state-of-the-art SCAN of the brain, such as an fMRI, before, during and after orgasm, could reveal plenty.

This advanced scanning (not generally available publicly) could give us deeper insight into the hormonal/neurotransmitter/brain-function data that we seem to be "just around the corner" from finding. I would be glad to be "team captain" with doctors, labs, etc., but not a good subject because of my testosterone/stimulant POIS treatment regimen.

I posted this here, publicly, because the more input (from you as well as everyone else here at the forum) the better!

What do you think?   
« Last Edit: 31/10/2009 19:32:47 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: 28/10/2009 17:18:38 »

hurray   and   EDS   and   Defsync

For your incredible show
                               of good faith and early support
                           towards funding POIS Research!!!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: 28/10/2009 18:49:21 »
I wouldn't mind donating a small personal contribution to support us.  But before we spend money, I think it's important that we develop a plan, step by step with justificaiton and financial information, to ensure were all on board.  A plan might generate additional support from other forum members as well by proving organization and direction.

Thoughts?

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: 28/10/2009 19:06:37 »
I have another theory! It may seem hokey, like in the category with the chi theory, but don't you dare shoot it down 'til you've tried it.

I'll be simple and quick. I notice when I'm O'ing I tense my abdominal muscles. I also notice I'm tensing my abdominal muscles when I'm experiencing social anxiety and gastrointestinal difficulty.

So try, next time you O, do not constrict any abdominal muscles throughout the whole thing. Make it a note to leave those muscles relaxed in the minutes, hours then days after O'ing.

It doesn't have to make sense in your mind to work in your body. Just try it.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: 29/10/2009 00:00:52 »
LJ, I agree about the wisdom of plans. On the other hand, I've been through plan exercises that were Masterpieces To Behold, raised lots of money, and burned through the money with no results. I'm a little biased perhaps because I started a very successful company with a BOE plan. (Written on the Back Of an Envelope).

I'm also impatient because we have 3 years here and made no research headway.  But by picking a starting point as I outlined in my previous post, we could have something concrete by Year End: advanced scan results of POIS sufferers! LJ, I would see that result dictating Step 2.

I'm also wide open to an alternate starting point. The one I've recommended comes from 3 years' mental sifting of all the ideas and theories presented here. Also, our budget is $2,500, which does not allow for a great deal of research. But with our zeal and entrepreneurial spirit, I'm hopeful it can go a long way.

If my BOE sketch above is appealing, I'm sure it will require a number of "mini-plans" just to accomplish that, e.g., who will volunteer to be studied, costs of various scans, what will we scan, which doctor(s) and/or institution(s) do we recruit. etc. This will certainly generate time and effort to reach consensus.

LJ, you've been a teriffic supportive contributor. If this was closer to the start of our forum, I would agree 100% with a  more thorough plan. I also feel badly that I have found some relief for myself, but not for others.

Maybe we can do both?   

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: 29/10/2009 00:02:11 »

RS, that sounds good! I'll try it.

Offline Looking_for_answer

• View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: 29/10/2009 05:24:27 »
anybody wants to reduce prolactin? http://www.patentgenius.com/patent/4618601.html [nofollow]   :D

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: 29/10/2009 17:24:40 »
Have someone noticed a strange sensation when laughing a lot during Pois days ?
If someone have ideas about synthesis of endorphins or "how to avoid his depletion", telle me how :)
Endorphins can be stimulated by eating chilli pepper,exercising - runners high, accupunture. 

when i exercise i get a high but cognition/memory does not leave.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: 29/10/2009 17:30:07 »

The three of you magnanimously pledged some financial support to studying POIS. Many thanks again, that was an incredibly wonderful gesture on your part!

By pledging, you have done enormous good to the cause of curing POIS, giving us all renewed hope and confidence that we're on the right track.

Just wondering lately, since the outside world of research is slow in rushing to our aid (we've been at this forum for 3 years now), how would you three feel about starting "somwhere". Anywhere. But Now! Using our own considerable resources?

A few of us here think that a state-of-the-art SCAN of the brain, such as an fMRI, before, during and after orgasm, could reveal plenty.

This advanced scanning (not generally available publicly) could give us deeper insight into the hormonal/neurotransmitter/brain-function data that we seem to be "just around the corner" from finding. I would be glad to be "team captain" with doctors, labs, etc., but not a good subject because of my testosterone/stimulant POIS treatment regimen.

I posted this here, publicly, because the more input (from you as well as everyone else here at the forum) the better!

What do you think?   

I am down for these it is time we take this problem to the next stage. But i will love to have a plan and know who the money is going to within the group. It will be nice if we can add blood testing to the brain scan. 
I dont know how much i can give yet, but i shall be.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: 29/10/2009 21:22:10 »

POIS Forum Research Study

I am down for these it is time we take this problem to the next stage. But i will love to have a plan and know who the money is going to within the group. It will be nice if we can add blood testing to the brain scan. 

I dont know how much i can give yet, but i shall be.

Thanks, CC!

I've been thinking about this some more and wonder if a good starting point might be to ask the current donor group (CDG), hurray, EDS, Defsync, and possibly Limejuice and CCconfucius to also be the first POIS-study volunteers.

The CDG would simply pay out-of-pocket costs directly to the lab/medical facility.

That should eliminate any concerns of "where's the money going" and it would also relieve me or anyone else of the burden of playing POIS Research Study "banker".

To be more conservative, we could also just start with one study volunteer to see if his lab results prove meaningful. In that case, the finances get a little trickier in that the other CDG's plus the first study volunteer would split the first bill. We could start a "dba" like "POIS Research Group" (PRG), and the CDG's could make an initial deposit into the PRG bank account, just enough to cover the first study volunteer's costs.

If this makes sense to any of you, let's start with finding a lab and/or physician willing to cooperate and see what the costs are. I can help do that if any/all of the CDG (or any new volunteer!)sends me a Private Message with the name of the city closest to him.

Once I receive that, I'll make calls, email contact, etc. A relative is a top medical facility radiologist, I will also try to enlist his help, and then report back to the group with specific ideas, procedures, and costs. I won't reveal the volunteer's city name in a public post here without permission from the volunteer. And, if preferred for confidentiality, the communication initially can be kept private within the CDG, with approved summaries reported to the forum.

CC, of course blood testing can be added. There's nothing "etched in stone" here.

Anyone:       Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

Some links on (f)MRI Of The Brain
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?PG=fmribrain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_magnetic_resonance_imaging
http://www.psc.edu/science/goddard.html

2003 Study on Ejaculation And The Brain
http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/full/23/27/9185?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=ejaculation&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

My thanks to Counterpoints for alerting me to some of the research possibilities in using fMRI to study POIS
« Last Edit: 29/10/2009 22:33:22 by demografx »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: 30/10/2009 18:51:03 »
any body ever take acutane?

I think this has been asked before.... but the answer here is yes, lots of it for ACNE 26 years ago.

PS.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: 30/10/2009 20:06:00 »
I haven't taken accutane

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5924 on: 30/10/2009 20:06:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length