The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6433818 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6000 on: 10/11/2009 03:05:22 »
Pablo, my testosterone treatment, combined with my other meds, has given me a 90% POIS relief, after 30+ years of full-blown POIS misery.

Very often, if I simply take advantage of the sunshine/outdoors, and nap/siesta, it jumps to 100%!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: 10/11/2009 14:38:39 »
So why do I feel better in Mexico?   Maybe a combination of stress free life by the ocean, with plenty of sunshine and exercises together with great food?  :-)  Now I need to find a doctor who will prescribe this novel therapy…  But seriously the good news is that if I feel better during thses short periods it means I *can* feel better. The key may be somewhere in the Caribean.
Hi, you have an interesting approach of things. I'd add vitamin D from sunshine + light clothes. Some POIS sufferers were deficient in vitamin D. Just make the test. Also you can try "quinton isotonic", and take it out of meals I think it's important (like when you go in the sea).
I repeatedly felt great effects from trace minerals if taken 30 min before the first meal of the day, otherwise no effect.

-(Maybe less milk product too?) I felt quite improved recently after I took a lactose free milk containing enzyme lactase too.
Lactose is converted to glucose in the body.

Like you say the combination of all this is probaby what is helpful.  I hope it's not a temporary effect (just the time for you to lose this new energy in sex).

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: 10/11/2009 14:52:57 »
Today it's day 1 for me .It seems that my symptoms have decreased further. Even cognition  is better. Placebo, luck or real ? I'm more and more convinced by the role opioid system on my symptoms.
Nice news you're better :)  I think too opioid system is one of the causes. I believe endorphins are involved in the fact that I'm more depressed with NEs (vs orgasm).   

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: 10/11/2009 15:50:10 »
Today it's day 1 for me .It seems that my symptoms have decreased further. Even cognition  is better. Placebo, luck or real ? I'm more and more convinced by the role opioid system on my symptoms.
Nice news you're better :)  I think too opioid system is one of the causes. I believe endorphins are involved in the fact that I'm more depressed with NEs (vs orgasm).   

Could you explain what NEs stands for? - Newbie here  :-)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: 10/11/2009 17:14:30 »
"" Prostaglandin is an extremely important hormone necessary for the tissue action in the body. If the amount of prostaglandin is low, and the level of adrenaline is high – as it happens after a person masturbates – then pains and cramps may be felt due to tightness and constriction of the tissues in the ligaments, joints and the various blood vessels.

A similar mechanism occurs when you have pains due to stressful conditions. These pains are also felt in the posterior part of the brain, i.e. in the region where the nape of your neck lies. ""

http://www.library.ayurvediccure.com/over-masturbation/mental-effects-masturbation.htm

That is exactly where I feel POIS and could explain why I sweat and feel really hyper after "O", adrenaline, also could explain its extended release caused by drinking coffee.  I don't know where most of you guys "feel" POIS, but mine is definitely located in the back of my head right above my neck.

""Many people claim stress and the intake of caffeine causes them headaches. This is true to a great extent. But the fact is, excessive masturbation also has the same effects on the body as stress and an overdose of caffeine. All these factors bring on headaches by causing dopamine to convert into excessive adrenaline, which finds it extremely difficult to reconvert back into dopamine once the stimulus is removed. This is done due to the low production of serotonin in the body.""
« Last Edit: 10/11/2009 17:17:05 by goingcrazy »

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: 10/11/2009 20:36:57 »
Who else…

1. has really bad nightmares on Days 2, 3 and 4 after O?
2. has a dry mouth for 4 or 5 days after O?
3. has a drop in eyesight quality and lots of eye floaters after O?
4. has a much weaker digestion for 5 to 7 days after O?
5. feels shortness of breath for 5 days after O as if gasping for air?

Has any of these symptoms become better for anyone?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: 10/11/2009 21:19:04 »
Who else…

eye floaters once or twice in two year history.

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: 10/11/2009 21:24:44 »

Hi, you have an interesting approach of things. I'd add vitamin D from sunshine + light clothes. Some POIS sufferers were deficient in vitamin D. Just make the test.

Yes of course: vitamin D. Very good point thank you!

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: 10/11/2009 21:25:22 »
Welcome Pablo445 :) Many things can influence Pois symptoms. Maybe you could copy the lifestyle that reduces your symptoms (food, activity, light...).

---

have you heard of methadone it is suppose to be what is used for opiod addicts.
and there is some reasearcher alex bodkin, psycopharmacologist doing reasearch. supposedly top

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: 10/11/2009 23:39:51 »
Prostaglandin is an extremely important hormone necessary for the tissue action in the body.
It's something to investigate. Prostaglandins are present in semen..

Who else…

(NEs = nocturnal emissions)
I had nightmares cured with red meat suppression in the evening.
Shortness of breath, only if I eat too much fat.
These symptoms are not necessarily after orgasm.
Weakest digestion after orgasm, yes.
By the way, a sea bath improves digestion and increase appetite for me.

Offline mister_z

• View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: 11/11/2009 14:06:37 »
I'd like to ask you how to go about increasing free testosterone ...
My doctor is not very keen on giving me testosterone supplementation because he considers my free testosterone is not low enough for it (but it is quite lower than normal still) and even then testosterone patches or injections wouldn't really help free testosterone for long...
So what could I try ? (hopefully something that wont cost me a bundle)

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: 11/11/2009 14:44:12 »
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg280668#msg280668
This is very interesting and I believe it's involved. But how to explain the fact that POIS is present immediately after orgasm when endorphins are released.
Also if I have orgasm everyday (more endorphins) I feel sexually exhausted with heavy POIS.

However endorphins withdrawal can explain the POIS day 2 aggravation. I think there are less endorphins after NEs (vs orgasms). Since I rarely have NEs I don't remember if there is a POIS day 2, and usually, when I have one NE I try to have an orgasm after to avoid feeling too bad.
I always thinked POIS day 2 aggravation was caused by sperm not fully resplenished + bad sleep the precedent night + endorphins withdrawal. But I could be wrong since no research on POIS has been done yet! ???

(Exercise is a good way to have more endorphins..)
« Last Edit: 12/11/2009 00:52:41 by martin88 »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: 11/11/2009 16:34:26 »
A simple theory:
Either neurotransmitter or endorphin release is depleting stores of raw materials that make them. What if a phenylalanine supplement was taken the day before, might this keep the machinery working? Some people have tried taking amino acids following sex with at least some success, but I am wondering if this is like changing the smoke detector batteries after the house has burned down. I notice that phenylalanine is available in two forms, the D form is said to be the best for increasing endorphins. I am going to order some DLPA (has both L and D forms) to see how it affects me.

The reason I am wondering this is because I recently tried tyrosine outside of POIS. I had tried it post sex before and I didn't have symptoms that time but it made me feel a little weird, maybe I took too much. This time it made me feel quite relaxed. Whereas many supplements I have tried have an antidepressant-type effect on me, this one did not make me feel good, just normal, which I like! It made a definite change in my insomnia. I have a chronic sleep problem of sleep maintenance insomnia, waking up in the middle of the night and having difficulty getting back to sleep. After consuming the tyrosine I have been waking more frequently, but getting back to sleep easier and sleeping deeper. I only took it for two days, at first a full 500mg cap, the the next day about quarter of a cap. I'm going to stop taking it now and see how my system responds.

Also, I was doing lots of exercise back in the spring/early summer when I was having my zero symptoms, and attributing it to cranberries, etc. Maybe not just exorcise but higher adrenaline (exciting) exorcise is good for endorphin making?
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 10:09:32 by John21 »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: 11/11/2009 16:47:54 »
My abstinence period is typically about 2 weeks than I "O", and this time I "O'd" 4 times because I couldn't help myself.  The first "O" happened and I just got a wave of extreme tiredness, than the second "O" made me feel hyper, the third and fourth even more hyper, couldn't sleep until 7a.m.  That was Sunday.  Today is Wednesday and I actually feel no POIS, think my body is adjusting to it. 
I feel "happier" for some reason, I don't know if it is endorphins or what but I am feeling a natural high.  The pain in my head is gone.  When I had sugar the day after 4 "O's" that made me really manic and I couldn't sit still.  I have been taking calcium magnesium and chelated magnesium because I believe it affects adrenaline output.  I also try to keep my hands "away" and not touch my youknowwhat at all, only during bathroom "activities" lol.  Because I've read that for just sexual stimulation your body converts dopamine into adrenaline (sorry for no link), but this issue couuld just be for me, again we may have different causes of POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: 11/11/2009 18:20:55 »

testosterone patches or injections wouldn't really help free testosterone for long...

I've been on T patches about a year now and it has cured my POIS 90%+.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6015 on: 11/11/2009 18:22:23 »
POIS Research Study

We now have a 7th volunteer/donor here at the forum, who has pledged between $1,000 and $1,500! Thank you!!

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: 11/11/2009 18:42:57 »
However endorphins withdrawal can explain the POIS day 2 aggravation. I think there are less endorphins after NEs (vs orgasms).
(Exercise is a good way to have more endorphins..)

In my case POIS only begins on the second day. I feel just fine on the first day. So this comment is particularly interesting to me. If I am confronted with a big stress the same process occurs: I feel OK the first day and meet the challenge but on the second day I experience similar symptoms as POIS.
I too have noticed that exercise (aerobic) does help up to a certain point. Excess exercise has a negative effect.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: 11/11/2009 23:31:21 »
Forum suggestions needed!

Hi, all!

As we're coming up on our 3rd Year Anniversary of this Forum, we have obviously accomplished some things (e.g., built a communications center for POIS sufferers) and NOT accomplished some other things (e.g., a cure!)

What would you like to see happen next in this forum?

PLEASE: post your answer publicly or send me a Private Message!

Since I have gratefully found treatment for my POIS (with many thanks to this forum!) my new "vision" might not be completely in sync with where you need to go next.

I'm flexible: I'll help do whatever's needed.

I'll even step aside if someone can do a better job moderating!

So...please speak your mind. (But if it's too vulgar I might delete it! ;D )

Sincerely awaiting your replies!.................
« Last Edit: 12/11/2009 00:11:41 by demografx »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: 11/11/2009 23:37:21 »
I was wondering if somebody could take Benadryl allergy and/or motrin to see if they have relief of at least some their symptoms.  Something is helping me but I'm not sure what it is.
I am taking vitamin B's, chelated magnesium, calcium magnesium, and motrin.  Even rhodiola rosea.  I've also been stretching my neck out and rotating it (not sure if that's really helping me or not). 
But I would like if somebody has either motrin or benadryl allergy to take some and tell me how you feel, if you don't feel a difference it just cancels those out for me.  I don't think it is the vitamins I'm taking, even though I really "felt" the good feeling of vitamin B after I haven't taken it in a long time.  Thank you

Benadryl liquid caps I just tried and seem to work, also taking B3 and B12.

However over the last week I have had two very odd occurrences. Had an O after 10 days break, lost muscle strength in arm and fingers twitched uncontrollably for hours.... that was 7 days ago now just got a little aroused and lost feeling in my left foot! Both have come back but what the hell is going on? all the time during two episodes all the other fairly familiar POIS feeling were there also. I am tending to be getting angrier and angrier where I am having outbursts at everyone too.... things just going downhill. I have a DR visit tomorrow so will see what he thinks of this, he is unclear what to do, but I think its time for MRI EEG etc....

PS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: 12/11/2009 00:10:12 »
Email Letter to NORD

Dear Stefanie,

We're having a rough time (bet you never heard THAT before! :))

We've raised somewhere between $3,500 to $4,000, but we need to do something NOW. The frustration level of so many wasted lives is something I know you understand.

Raising money as per the case studies you sent is reassuring, but privacy is an important issue for us, because our disorder is based on....well, SEX! We're not in the Victorian era, but we aren't that enlightened yet as a society! So a neighborhood fundraiser barbecue asking our friends and neighbors for money to research our difficulties after orgasm....is not conceivable. And personally, I would feel reluctant to sit across from Oprah Winfrey and respond to the question, "Do you feel the same after masturbation as with sex?" :)

Rather than our going out and hiring doctors, labs, and/or a researcher ourselves, which is definitely a consideration on the table, would there be a possibility of your providing us with a starting point, perhaps a researcher who has expressed interest in studying something in our area? (sexual disorders, endocrine studies, etc.)

We could perhaps then "graduate" to a NORD commitment, with a small starting point and some successes (I, for example, have found 90%+ relief with my treatment! That was through the data and interchange of ideas at the forum)

I thank you once again for responding to us and being a friend of POIS Disorder!

Best regards,

[first name]

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: 12/11/2009 00:13:37 »

In my case POIS only begins on the second day. I feel just fine on the first day.

Pablo, we have found this to be very common here.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: 12/11/2009 00:40:21 »
If were talking goals, in 2010 I'd like to find the route cause of POIS. Another goal is to cure, say, 25% of forum members and readers.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: 12/11/2009 01:18:18 »
Demo, your letter to NORD is great, this gives me some hope. Thanks!

B_Jim, I thought initially that endorphins remained high during a long time after orgasm and that only the weaning from endorphins was causing POIS. That's why I asked this question.
But maybe the withdrawal symptoms start immediately after orgasm because endorphins are released during orgasm and not after.
I have read a bit on opium effects :
-4h euphoria,lassitude,stupor (I'd like to understand why)
-a 7 to 10 days weaning occurs with big symptoms, high anxiety etc.. and 6 months to be fully normal.

In my case POIS only begins on the second day. I feel just fine on the first day.
I do not feel fine the first day but I'm aggravated a lot the second day.  Demo is right, a lot of POIS sufferers have this and this is to me one of the better indication that POIS is not psychological, with the fact that 97% of the POIS sufferers are men. I agree also with you when you said that stronger orgasms cause more POIS.
« Last Edit: 12/11/2009 05:57:46 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: 12/11/2009 05:49:53 »

If we're talking goals, in 2010 I'd like to find the root cause of POIS. Another goal is to cure, say, 25% of forum members and readers.

Thanks, LJ! Very noble goals, indeed.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: 12/11/2009 05:56:18 »

Who else...

I believe POIS nightmares come from our inner depths "screaming" to be back to normal.

Dry fingertips instead of dry mouth. This symptom drives me CRAZY!

Drop in vision quality, yes.

Some shortness of breath.

All my symptoms improved dramatically over the last year with my testosterone treatment.
« Last Edit: 12/11/2009 06:03:00 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6024 on: 12/11/2009 05:56:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums