The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6462635 times)

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6100 on: 19/11/2009 05:48:39 »
Has anyone actually had their histamine and prolactin levels checked.  Suppose this was a cassein allergy or celiac disease.  These are both auto immune responses that increase prolactin.  These problems exist for many Americans who remain undiagnosed.  If one had either of these auto immune deficiencies their symptoms could be worse post orgasm. 

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: 19/11/2009 10:07:19 »
Suppose this was a cassein allergy or celiac disease.  These are both auto immune responses that increase prolactin.

Thanks. I try to know if gluten and dairy products digestion (or milk composition) could have an effect on Pois.

It was almost 10 years ago when I stopped consuming all dairy products and was sure that was responsible for a big improvement (symptoms disappearing). I also remember trying tyrosine at that time. But my symptoms must have returned as I abandoned the theory, although I am fuzzy on the details now.

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: 19/11/2009 12:29:51 »
Do not waste your money on any of the herbal love products.  They were the first I found, that said anything about POIS.  Dr. Lin's writing was so informative, and I assumed his products would cure me.  I spent months on them with little or no change.  There is probably no one out there that writes as much as he does about the subject.  It is terrible that Herballove steals money from people who are just looking for relief.  They could at least help the subject gain populartiy, and conduct significant research.

Thx for the feedback...

"I have an appointment with a neurologist this wed. for a possible mri, I'm thinking about pre-"O"-ing but I really don't feel like going through that whole cycle again.  Every time 'Im in POIS my work production is down, so in college I am baasically useless during that time."

Z one, i will go "drained" just to make sure.

I am going to psychiatrist to get cognition/concentration and i am going "drained"m hopefully without delibrate actions to fail, i do bad on that test and may be we can have one more proof to fight with.

I hear you...

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: 19/11/2009 16:48:30 »

Ironically, he ["Dr" Lin]'s the only person very active about post-orgasmic symptoms because he makes money with our problem.I'm fairly pessimistic about chance to find someone to help us.

You're right, money does drive a lot of research, including shoddy research such as his. But if we all fight together, we will have a much better chance.

B_Jim, you were here at the beginning of this forum. Look at how much we have accomplished with no help! We have a social network, a compendium, a website, research interest expressed by Watson, and much more, including your fantastic compilation of theories and treatments!

And you and I have both made very significant progress in our own POIS healing.

And forum members have pledged $4,500! We can hire a researcher today if we want to. It might only be a graduate student in endocrinology, but compare that to 3 years ago!

All that we have accomplished makes finding someone easier. And anyone who wants to make a career in sexual dysfunction should be interested. But it's up to us to proactively seek these people out. With more than just "demo" sending out a letter here and there. We need to mount an aggressive campaign.

Please understand that I agree with you: it's difficult to find someone to help us. I'm simply trying to inject a small dose of positive thinking.  :)

We have to stay optimistic, there to many doctors/reasearchers for us think they will all respond to pois the same, we dont know we might find one who has heard of it happening to a close friend or family, and will be more willing to help.  If demo can find a doctor who is willing to listen eventough his testosterone was withing lower end of range after so many years, i think we still have hope.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: 19/11/2009 16:49:47 »
Has anyone actually had their histamine and prolactin levels checked.  Suppose this was a cassein allergy or celiac disease.  These are both auto immune responses that increase prolactin.  These problems exist for many Americans who remain undiagnosed.  If one had either of these auto immune deficiencies their symptoms could be worse post orgasm. 
I have done prolactin twice from two different labs. One was while i was hyper and recovery and other was when i was deep in pois. both results came out about the same and in normal range.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6105 on: 19/11/2009 17:39:13 »
Sorry to report...

To demografx:

Dr. Garber has reviewed your emails and, based on the information reviewed and current AACE priorities, the funding to pursue this matter is not presently in AACE's budget.  We appreciate you contacting AACE regarding this matter and wish you much success in your endeavors.

Lynn Blanco
Executive Assistant to CEO
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
245 Riverside Avenue, Suite 200
Jacksonville, FL 32202
Phone:  (904) 353-7878  Ext. 131
Fax:  (904) 353-8185
E-mail:  lblanco@aace.com

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: 19/11/2009 17:53:48 »

My prolactin was sky high! Hyperprolactinemia. An MRI of my pituitary revealed no tumors, a standard approach to hyperprolactinemia.

Today, medicine pays little attention to prolactin in men, so I did my own research and cured myself, with my endo's approval. I found in wikipedia that some prescription drugs are often to blame, including reglan. So I quit reglan, and my prolactin went from 90 to.........9. Normal!
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 22:58:44 by demografx »

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: 19/11/2009 17:55:05 »
Sorry to report...

To demografx:

Dr. Garber has reviewed your emails and, based on the information reviewed and current AACE priorities, the funding to pursue this matter is not presently in AACE's budget.  We appreciate you contacting AACE regarding this matter and wish you much success in your endeavors.

Lynn Blanco
Jacksonville, FL 32202

...that's very unfortunate... but seriously who cares??...let's contact Oprah!
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 17:58:20 by Z_one »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: 19/11/2009 17:58:49 »

Demo, it's difficult to be agressive with POIS. Let's take a break!
:)

Dr Martin, <saluting> I hereby follow your advice. Happily. :)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: 19/11/2009 18:06:30 »
Sorry to report...

To demografx:

Lynn Blanco
Jacksonville, FL 32202

"Who cares?". I find that incredibly insensitive. A lot of thought and work went into that! And the chances of Oprah responding is about 1:1,000,000. Do you want her email? Send her something. I'll give you our letter, too, ok? Do you know what AACE is about and why we picked them???

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: 19/11/2009 18:19:07 »
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 18:21:03 by demografx »

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: 19/11/2009 18:39:42 »
Sorry to report...

To demografx:

Lynn Blanco
Jacksonville, FL 32202

"Who cares?". I find that incredibly insensitive. A lot of thought and work went into that! And the chances of Oprah responding is about 1:1,000,000. Do you want her email? Send her something. I'll give you our letter, too, ok? Do you know what AACE is about and why we picked them???

I think you misread my message.....I didn't say "who cares" for your work but for their answer!....well what do you want me to say? Hurray! or Bravo!??? I said it's very unfortunate and I am not going to cry for you about it!....
I don't know how much work you put into this but it still doesn't matter.....since you got a rejection for now!. Therefore we move forward.....and thanks for the link ..1 in a million or one in a trillion...there's no harm in trying other options,,,,so yes I wouldn't mind you sending me the letter you have prepared....perhaps I can you give a constructive feedback on it.....after which we can email her.....

.....and for God's sake let's try to keep the sense of humor going here...it will help our dopamine levels stay high!

Kind regards,
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 19:27:46 by Z_one »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: 19/11/2009 19:34:29 »
OK, Z_one! My humor is usually high, but this one got to me for some reason. And wording on the Internet I think needs just a teensy more care since facial expressions, inflection, body language are all missing and I believe can easily come across more negatively than intended. It's just stark black and white writing. "Who cares" is not something I would write, but now I understand you better.

I just sent you the outreach letter by Private Message.

If anyone else wants to send letters, just let me know!

Z_one, Thanks again for stepping up!!
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 19:53:42 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: 19/11/2009 20:08:11 »

Can anyone explain the difference between endorphins and dopamine? They're both internally generated "feel good" chemicals and almost seem to be the same as I've heard them described.
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 20:12:28 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: 19/11/2009 21:57:12 »
 Trying AACE when economy bounces back, may bring better luck. And hopefully the persistence is helpful.

On raising money:  If the money raised is not enough, it can be placed in safe investments like treasury bill and so on. 
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 22:00:50 by CCconfucius »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: 19/11/2009 22:50:38 »

Thanks CC, for the note of optimism on AACE!

On POIS money pledged here: it's up to the individual donors to decide what to do with their pledged amounts. At the forum, I think it's best to request these funds only when the expenditure is approved and we need to make payments.
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 22:55:00 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: 19/11/2009 22:53:37 »

Z_one, the outreach letter I PM'd you includes an attachment of Dr Waldinger's POIS study. If you want it, The only way I can send you the PDF is via your regular email address, which you can PM to me. If you do, please use "AT" instead of "@", this system intermittently rejects "@".

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 00:40:10 by demografx »

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: 19/11/2009 23:44:40 »
Suppose this was a cassein allergy or celiac disease.  These are both auto immune responses that increase prolactin.

Thanks. I try to know if gluten and dairy products digestion (or milk composition) could have an effect on Pois.

It was almost 10 years ago when I stopped consuming all dairy products and was sure that was responsible for a big improvement (symptoms disappearing). I also remember trying tyrosine at that time. But my symptoms must have returned as I abandoned the theory, although I am fuzzy on the details now.

now see Milk does something funny to me as well...  makes my brain very tired and increases difficulty in thinking... wtf is in milk that could cause this? I dont drink milk at all, havent touched it in a decade...

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: 19/11/2009 23:51:38 »
I have an appointment with a neurologist this wed. for a possible mri, I'm thinking about pre-"O"-ing but I really don't feel like going through that whole cycle again.  Every time Im in POIS my work production is down, so in college I am baasically useless during that time.
A quick question: I have noticed that the surface my tongue becomes whitish (not candida like) on POIS day 2-3-4-5 and then it clears up. Do you have the same observation? Although a seemingly small symptom it could actually mean a lot if it is a common observation.

Especially in the mornings I wake up with this all the time now, It never used to be this bad... Yet again I don't know if it is candida but many people do have it.  I showed my mom and she showed me that she also had it.
I don't know about you guys....but I am today 30 and POIS has already eaten up 6 years of my life.....the saddest thing however is that with all modesty, I believe that I am a guy with great potential and great natural gifts from God,,,,only out of 100 I am only able to use 20% of my potentials thx to POIS! And Iam sure that many of you guys are like me,,,,
 So I think u got the message my professional life is getting wasted (Currently unemployed, I actually fear employment now), my marital life is getting wasted (No wife, not even a possible prospect), my social life is getting wasted (No friends, don't ask), and even my Dog has been starting to stare at me in weird manners lately (No pets?)...I feel he's trying to tell me sometimes....: WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU MASTER?  I wish I could tell him....but Iam too tired, exhausted and depleted too try translating to him.....well that's the bad news....

I feel the same way, like people are looking at me like I have done something wrong, like the world doesn't orgasm and if you do people hate you...( like the world doesnt masturbate :o...) haha sounds crazy but I usually say to myself that once I "O", I will be hated that day and the day after, (maybe something psychological that I am trying to place restrictions on my O, but idk),  this whole POIS thing is turning into a mental battle and sometimes I do feel like I am losing my mind.

skip the mri, do an "O" and get a cytokine check instead. tell them you want to be checked like someone who has "chemo brain"

mri's dont show crap, and your insurance company will be less likely to assist you with other tests after you use up $18,000 of their money on a test that's going to give you zero results. this of course is my opinion and experience, as I have severe POIS and my mri showed jack squat. =P

however if you do go forward with the MRI, you HAVE to "O" no matter what, as to NOT too reduces the chance the MRI will show anything. theres no point in taking that chance.
« Last Edit: 19/11/2009 23:53:24 by Defsync »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: 20/11/2009 00:37:01 »

My MRI of the brain/pituitary only showed a partially empty sella. But the main thing that the MRI revealed is that there were no tumors causing my sky-high prolactin.

The MRI ate up $9,000 of insurance, but I'm glad I did it. I sure as heck wouldn't like to wonder for the rest of my life if there were tumors in my pituitary!
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 00:42:54 by demografx »

Offline EDS

• View Profile
« Reply #6120 on: 20/11/2009 02:03:11 »
I understand.

I'm reluctant to push to try T for one reason - I don't want to jeopardize my natural production of T.  If supplemented T is not the answer to POIS for me, and in testing this disrupted the natural levels for the rest of my life, I would be....upset.

With only you, Demo, cured that risk is too high for me.  If most the forum was cured with T that's a different story.

Make that two of us now! I can safely say that T treatments (5 mg patches) are helping me. I will estimate 60% because it seems to have shortened my recovery time to about half and the time I'm in POIS is less severe. As I stated almost three months ago that I would be happy to see a 5% or 10% improvement - I am seeing far better than that!

I went from 3-4 days of full blown POIS to a day or two. What is strange is that my 1st day, before T treatment, wasn't too bad; now it is my worst day, but day two is much better; which WAS my worst day. So it seems to have accelerated the time for POIS to "kick-in" and also go away. The whole nightmarish process has been moved up by a couple of days.

What does this mean? Is it just the addition of T that is causing improvement? Or is the additional T affecting some other function that speeds up the time to reach full POIS symptoms and recovery?

I don't know what is happening, of course, but I'm sure glad it is!!!!! After over 30 years of this plague, this is the first time I have tried anything that helped!! Thanks Demo!! POIS is getting cross wired... interupted... or something because it is definitely different than it has ever been after "O" for me.

Thanks to everyone involved in this forum! If we keep it up, I know we'll beat this thing!!

« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 02:16:19 by EDS »

Offline pauliebaby61

• View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: 20/11/2009 02:24:27 »
Just got back from my Dr's appt. My Dr agreed with Dr in's theory about what happens to our body at O, because it IS what happens at O.
He did not think much of the products Dr Lin sells.
He did not RX SSRI's to me. He said they were not the answer and would probably have a negative effect for pois.
He felt the main culprit here is low dopamine level.He said that is the main transmitter and responsible for the good feelings we get from O. If enough isnt present, the response will be bad and exhausting.

His treatment is 3 herbal suppliments that are precursers to dopamine and seratonin. 1] 5HTP[for seratonin], 2] Mucuna[for dopamine] 3] a product high in selenium. He said he treats Parkins patients much in the same way, with good success getting rid of their tremors.

He says all 3 will increase my dopamine level. He said that the main neurotransmitter after O, which gives us a good feeling after O is dopamine.He explained that if we are low in dopamine, the bodys response to O is negative. Over time,,If we abstain, the bodys dopamine level slowly rises into the normal range, only to be depleted after the next time in the bedroom.
He felt the main cause, for me anyway, was a dopamine deficiency, and also low seratonin.
He also told me that one hit of cocaine[ i never did cocaine or any drugs] will use up the bodies supply of dopamine and it talks a full year for the dopamine level to be restored. I mention this only because it shows how important and frail this neurotransmitter is, and , just in case anyone has done this drug may explain possibly why they have pois and that quiting such drugs may reverse your symptoms over time.
My Dr feels my problem, as i described it, can be treated. But again, the proof will be in the pudding.
I will keep you posted as to how i do over time.
oh also--- my T level is now 899, which is a great number for a 48yr old male, but still does not change my pois symptoms. I am hopeful this latest treatment gives relief to me and all my fellow sufferers who read this. Hopefully i will have good things to report shortly!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: 20/11/2009 02:26:08 »

I understand.

I'm reluctant to push to try T for one reason - I don't want to jeopardize my natural production of T.  If supplemented T is not the answer to POIS for me, and in testing this disrupted the natural levels for the rest of my life, I would be....upset.

With only you, Demo, cured that risk is too high for me.  If most the forum was cured with T that's a different story.

Make that two of us now! I can safely say that T treatments (5 mg patches) are helping me. I will estimate 60% because it seems to have shortened my recovery time to about half and the time I'm in POIS is less severe. As I stated almost three months ago that I would be happy to see a 5% or 10% improvement - I am seeing far better than that!

I went from 3-4 days of full blown POIS to a day or two. What is strange is that my 1st day, before T treatment, wasn't too bad; now it is my worst day, but day two is much better; which WAS my worst day. So it seems to have accelerated the time for POIS to "kick-in" and also go away. The whole nightmarish process has been moved up by a couple of days.

What does this mean? Is it just the addition of T that is causing improvement? Or is the additional T affecting some other function that speeds up the time to reach full POIS symptoms and recovery?

I don't know what is happening, of course, but I'm sure glad it is!!!!! After over 30 years of this plague, this is the first time I have tried anything that helped!! Thanks Demo!! POIS is getting cross wired... interupted... or something because it is definitely different than it has ever been after "O" for me.

Thanks to everyone involved in this forum! If we keep it up, I know we'll beat this thing!!

Wow, EDS, I'm thrilled for you!!!

My thoughts about it are exactly like yours! I would add that it feels like "rapid sperm replenishment" is the reason why equilibrium comes back so much faster.

Thanks so much for sharing your success with the group.
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 02:28:12 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: 20/11/2009 02:34:52 »

I am hopeful this latest treatment gives relief to me and all my fellow sufferers who read this. Hopefully i will have good things to report shortly!

I don't understand the basis, but if it provides POIS relief, I wish you the absolute best!

Here are some previous experiences posted here with 5HTP:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=5HTP+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Can you please share with us what your doc's background or qualifications are in claiming to understand the relationships between orgasm, serotonin and dopamine...and his recommendations to you?

Or do you just generally trust his judgement?
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 03:11:16 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: 20/11/2009 03:07:14 »

Article on Dopamine and Orgasm:
http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2008/02/dopamine_and_orgasm.php

And one more: from The Science of Orgasm:
http://www.thepsychologist.org.uk/archive/archive_home.cfm?volumeID=21&editionID=157&ArticleID=1303

pauliebaby, thanks for re-opening the ongoing orgasm-dopamine-serotonin discussions we've had here since the beginning!

« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 03:09:37 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6124 on: 20/11/2009 03:07:14 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length