The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6449766 times)

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6125 on: 20/11/2009 06:14:41 »
I went to the doctor Wednesday and told him about what I have.  He said this is basically post-coital cephalgia, or headaches.  I told him how I wake up in the morning with fog and that it causes extreme anxiety when I do it.  He told me that hes seen a lot of patients with orgasmic headaches, and that my symptoms could just have to do with blood vessel constriction.  I've been doing breathing exercises the past couple of days now and I do notice a difference.  I did "O" last night, and last weekend, with no POIS except extreme tiredness after "O", no anxiety what-so-ever.  I doubt if POIS could just be a symptom of blood vessel constriction but still we do not know what the true cause is.  He is having me sent back this coming Tuesday to examine my "circle of willis", which is a cluster of blood vessels that supply the brain.
« Last Edit: 22/11/2009 00:03:02 by demografx »

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: 20/11/2009 06:50:49 »
I went to the doctor Wednesday and told him about what I have.  He said this is basically post-coital cephalgia, or headaches.  I told him how I wake up in the morning with fog and that it causes extreme anxiety when I do it.  He told me that hes seen a lot of patients with orgasmic headaches, and that my symptoms could just have to do with blood vessel constriction.  I've been doing breathing exercises the past couple of days now and I do notice a difference.  I did "O" last night, and last weekend, with no POIS except extreme tiredness after "O", no anxiety what-so-ever.  I doubt if POIS could just be a symptom of blood vessel constriction but still we do not know what the true cause is.  He is having me sent back this coming Tuesday to examine my "circle of willis", which is a cluster of blood vessels that supply the brain.

This is connected to a post I made a while back: I have another theory! It may seem hokey, like in the category with the chi theory, but don't you dare shoot it down 'til you've tried it.

I'll be simple and quick. I notice when I'm O'ing I tense my abdominal muscles. I also notice I'm tensing my abdominal muscles when I'm experiencing social anxiety and gastrointestinal difficulty.

So try, next time you O, do not constrict any abdominal muscles throughout the whole thing. Make it a note to leave those muscles relaxed in the minutes, hours then days after O'ing.

It doesn't have to make sense in your mind to work in your body. Just try it.

-----

This is done by breathing deeply, expanding the abdomen. The key word is RELAX, RELAX RELAX. There are no problems. Just relax into, breathe deeply and don't tense up.
« Last Edit: 22/11/2009 00:08:16 by demografx »

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: 20/11/2009 07:34:02 »

Z_one, the outreach letter I PM'd you includes an attachment of Dr Waldinger's POIS study. If you want it, The only way I can send you the PDF is via your regular email address, which you can PM to me. If you do, please use "AT" instead of "@", this system intermittently rejects "@".

Thanks again!

Thx Demo....I'll check it out and get back to you....
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 07:37:31 by Z_one »

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: 20/11/2009 07:48:22 »

Can anyone explain the difference between endorphins and dopamine? They're both internally generated "feel good" chemicals and almost seem to be the same as I've heard them described.

Endorphins are natural part of the family of opiates such as heroin and morphine.

Look :
http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_03/i_03_m/i_03_m_par/i_03_m_par_heroine.html#drogues
(thanks Martin for link)

The basic theory is :
-more endorphins/opiates inhibits Gaba release.
- less Gaba means less downregulation of dopamine.
- So there is more dopamine secreted.

The point I don't understand is how can opiates have anti-anxety and analgesic effect if they cause a reduction of Gaba.  ??? Can someone explain ?

---

After, we can expect :
- a dopamine/catecholamine depletion
- the opiate withdrawal syndrome .

According to Wikepedia..

Opiates inhibit neurotransmitter release; through this mechanism, they inhibit the release of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, and disinhibit the dopamine pathways, causing more dopamine to be released...

I think since endorphins are anti-anxiety and pain killers them selves...therefore Gaba is not needed since the presence of Gaba will inhibit the secretion of Dopamine,,,,,

Gaba is believed to be the brakes of the brain,....its presence inhibits the secretion of brain neurotransmitters when they are not needed.....

Hope this helps.....
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 17:04:59 by Z_one »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: 20/11/2009 11:50:27 »

I'm not bothered by headaches in POIS, if I have one, but it's interesting for POIS who have this.
What you experience with breathing is normal.
I suggest to avoid this quick breathe or you'll hyperventilate. It happened to me after I had breathing difficulties caused by a stomach problem and it caused panic attacks. I had to learn how to breathe to avoid this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation
« Last Edit: 22/11/2009 00:06:05 by demografx »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: 20/11/2009 13:28:39 »
I don't know if it's relevant but CRH (or CRF) which is released by the hypothalamus to stimulate ACTH secretion, is also involved in the production of beta endorphins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corticotropin-releasing_hormone

Elevated CRF is found in anxiety disorders:
http://www.aolhealth.com/mental-health/learn-about-it/what-causes-anxiety/the-brain

Also dopamine inhibits pituitary hormone release:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Releasing_hormone
So low dopamine can cause too much secretion of pituitary hormones (?)
I'd like to know which one (except prolactin) if any.
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 14:13:29 by martin88 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: 20/11/2009 17:31:27 »

I really want you guys to try this, just really quick, breathe about 30 times as deep as you can and as fast as you can and tell me if you experience a weird feeling, but feel better afterwards, I think doing this tends to increase blood flow and open up blood vessels.

isn't search for "cirle of willis" require a scan. If it does what type.

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: 20/11/2009 19:51:06 »
To email Oprah:
https://www.oprah.com/plugform.jsp?plugId=220

Unbelievable! CNN has just announced that Oprah has quit her talk show! Just at the perfect time for us!! First the AACE now Oprah!! Could anything go worse? But no worries guys....the King is still here and his name is Larry.....

Anyone got his email?  :o)
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 19:59:31 by Z_one »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: 20/11/2009 20:56:28 »
« Last Edit: 20/11/2009 21:22:22 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: 20/11/2009 21:18:39 »

Unbelievable! CNN has just announced that Oprah has quit her talk show!

Z_one, yes, I heard that Oprah quit because she knew that we were about to contact her!  ;D

"Oh no, it's the Guys From POIS!"
« Last Edit: 21/11/2009 03:03:42 by demografx »

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #6135 on: 20/11/2009 23:01:03 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergoloid

"Current studies imply that the major effect of hydergine may be the modulation of synaptic neurotransmission"

I wonder if Hydergine (brand name) would have any positive affect on POIS.

OK ok ok i really need to get off my ass and get to the freakin med library finally. tbqh, i havent yet because if it turns out to be a dead end i am just going to get really really pissed off, and when i get that pissed off i become very self destructive, so i have been avoiding going over there... but i have next week off so hopefully i can talk myself into it. i think just letting a med student know about all the research done in this forum alone would be freakin enticing for a final thesis.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: 21/11/2009 00:07:41 »
B_Jim, Z_one, Martin, thank you very much for clarifying endorphins vs. dopamine!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: 21/11/2009 02:51:12 »

Dr Andrew Weil (MD) takes a look at Hydergine
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA360809

He does sell products, but has always struck me as a very credible guy. From wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Weil

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: 21/11/2009 07:02:07 »
Z_one, yes, I heard that Oprah quit because she knew that we were about to contact her!  ;D

Z_one, all's not lost. Oprah will stay thru 2010. And 2011 she'll simply do her own TV thing, raking in billions more. So    she is still a viable prospect!

Offline Porke

• View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: 21/11/2009 13:02:21 »
Just got back from my Dr's appt. My Dr agreed with Dr in's theory about what happens to our body at O, because it IS what happens at O.
He did not think much of the products Dr Lin sells.
He did not RX SSRI's to me. He said they were not the answer and would probably have a negative effect for pois.
He felt the main culprit here is low dopamine level.He said that is the main transmitter and responsible for the good feelings we get from O. If enough isnt present, the response will be bad and exhausting.

His treatment is 3 herbal suppliments that are precursers to dopamine and seratonin. 1] 5HTP[for seratonin], 2] Mucuna[for dopamine] 3] a product high in selenium. He said he treats Parkins patients much in the same way, with good success getting rid of their tremors.

He says all 3 will increase my dopamine level. He said that the main neurotransmitter after O, which gives us a good feeling after O is dopamine.He explained that if we are low in dopamine, the bodys response to O is negative. Over time,,If we abstain, the bodys dopamine level slowly rises into the normal range, only to be depleted after the next time in the bedroom.
He felt the main cause, for me anyway, was a dopamine deficiency, and also low seratonin.

Interesting. Wonder why he doesnt prescribe l-dopa directly then. This is the dopamine boosting drug used in altzheimers patients. Mucuna is just the herb, and purity could be questionable.

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: 21/11/2009 13:34:38 »

He also told me that one hit of cocaine[ i never did cocaine or any drugs] will use up the bodies supply of dopamine and it talks a full year for the dopamine level to be restored. I mention this only because it shows how important and frail this neurotransmitter is, and , just in case anyone has done this drug may explain possibly why they have pois and that quiting such drugs may reverse your symptoms over time.

That is interesting. I only tried cocaine once about 35 years ago but for a whole weekend! I felt so incredibly good that I decided to never touch this again because I knew I would not be able to live without it. The downside is that I was unbelievably tired and exhausted afterward. For the first and only time in my life I actually slept for 24 hours in a row (from 8 am to 8 am) and felt completely out of it for several weeks. Yes it did feel like POIS in many aspects. But I came back to normal and never touched that stuff again (or any other recreational drug for that matter). It gave me a vague personal understanding of how someone can easily get hooked to that substance. The Clark Kent in myself enjoyed being Superman for few days for sure!  

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: 21/11/2009 14:27:42 »

Z_one, all's not lost. Oprah will stay thru 2010. And 2011 she'll simply do her own TV thing, raking in billions more. So    she is still a viable prospect!

....indeed!  ;D

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: 21/11/2009 14:45:08 »
http://www.neuroassist.com/Neurotransmitter-Depletion.htm

I've been reading up on that website, and what it basically says is that Tyrosine (precursor to Dopamine) depletes Serotonin, and 5-HTP (precursor to Serotonin) depletes Dopamine. The are two parts of a system, and they must be in balance, otherwise one will inhibit the other, and over time, one may shut down the other, and treatments will become ineffective. This would explain why both tyrosine and 5-HTP stop working for people. So, while not exact, wouldn't it be much more effective to take them both, on and off?

I know I'm oversimplifying.

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: 21/11/2009 14:47:10 »
Dopamine and Omega 3

What has been your experience with a daily high dose of Omega 3 (1,500 mg EPA + 1,000 DHA)? Few years ago I was told my Omega 3 fatty acids level were very low. I supplemented for a while but I did not take it seriously and only took small quantities. Now I am trying again - I just got started. According to what I have read if it makes any difference I should start feeling it in about 6 weeks.

From The Omega3 Connection by Andrew L Stoll MD, page 117
The omega-3 fatty acids are an integral part of the structure and function of the brain. The brain does not function well unless adequate amounts of omega-3 fatty acids circulate in the bloodstream and are incorporated into cell membranes. Omega-3 fatty acids also appear to influence the brain chemicals involved in antidepressant action. For example, French scientists have shown that rats deficient in omega-3 fatty acids had more receptors for the neurotransmitter serotonin and a corresponding decrease in dopamine in the frontal cortex. The direction of the changes in these neurotransmitter systems is consistent with some human models of major depression. Not surprisingly, other scientists have observed that increasing the dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids boosted the levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine in the frontal cortex of rats. In humans, increased dopamine in the frontal cortex increases drive and motivation, attributes lacking in the depressed person.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: 21/11/2009 21:22:04 »

....indeed!  ;D

Z_one, so..........does this mean you'll contact Oprah? And Larry King? (Last year I ran into Larry King outside his office, but I was tongue-tied! [pois lol] )

« Last Edit: 21/11/2009 21:37:49 by demografx »

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: 21/11/2009 21:38:32 »
tinyurl . com / PostOrgasmicIllnessSyndrome and /poisforumstart will now get you to page 1 of the forum.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: 21/11/2009 23:54:30 »

Thanks, Dean!

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: 22/11/2009 02:22:10 »
No problem Demo

Offline Holden F. Anmar-Dey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: 22/11/2009 15:32:30 »
Hello my fellow POIS sufferers.
I would like to extend a hand of friendship and comradary to everyone who participates in this forum. I would also like to say how grateful I am for this resource that has been like a beacon of light, that has pierced the long night and given me hope.
To the regulars who keep this forum alive I give an extra-big thank you for all that you have done in keeping us informed on your trials and tribulations and bringing our affliction into the light of day.

It may not be an auspicious start to have my first post to be that of praising or "ass-kissing" but every word is true and genuine.

You'll probably be seeing me around.

Offline Z_one

• View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: 22/11/2009 22:19:34 »

Z_one, so..........does this mean you'll contact Oprah? And Larry King?[/b] (Last year I ran into Larry King outside his office, but I was tongue-tied! [pois lol] )

I'll do my best man,,,but meanwhile try hitting onto Dr.Phil and Snoop Dog....I am sure the latter might be more than pleased to share his POIS experience.................  [O8)]
« Last Edit: 22/11/2009 23:14:29 by Z_one »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6149 on: 22/11/2009 22:19:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length