The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6460755 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #625 on: 04/06/2008 22:58:23 »

...how could the *severe* symptoms that follow one orgasm be alleviated by a subsequent orgasm? 

When successful, is it permanent (for the current POIS cycle only) or temporary relief?

Our outside researcher will certainly have some interesting work cut out for him/her! Too bad it's unlikely we'll ever find an endocrinologist  _with_  POIS  :D
« Last Edit: 04/06/2008 23:01:29 by demografx »

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: 05/06/2008 05:04:24 »
demografx--You mentioned carbos (like pizza and pasta) being helpful. In my case I find that it's something rich
and oily like avocados or coconut creme or almond butter on a cracker that helps calm my system down, along with
my handful of vitamins--post orgasm. I'm glad my partner has a sense of humor about that. He teases me about my
orgasmic "supplementation," and also sympathizes with the issue. He has no POIS problems, but supports and partici-
pates in a non orgasmic sex life, that he calls "riding the pleasure peak." He's happy I found a name for this weird
exhausting condition, but I know he can't comprehend the level of exhaustion that comes with it. You have to have it
to really understand how debilitating it is. I'm very relieved that this group exists and that we are all so determined
to find answers.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: 05/06/2008 05:25:46 »
When successful, is it permanent (for the current POIS cycle only) or temporary relief?

It is permanent.  I also notice that when I have a "bad" orgasm, I feel it within 10 to 40 minutes -- the symptoms hit pretty quickly.  Likewise, a "good" orgasm alleviates symptoms within the same time frame (10 to 40 minutes). 

Also, in general, I don't seem to be continously "improving" when I wait out POIS.  I will have POIS for a certain number of days, and then the symptoms improve to the point where I am POIS free within a relatively short time period (hours..).

One thing I've noticed, that I haven't seen mentioned here, is that during POIS physical exertion appears to aggravate my symptoms.

fMRI and PET are very expensive tests, so doctors are hesitant to order them without what appears to be a very strong justification.  Unfortunately our symptoms are unknown and vague enough that most doctors would not order these tests.  I think the case to have them conducted is VERY strong, however, especially with this number of people complaining of similar symptoms and the degree to which these symptoms affect us.

« Last Edit: 05/06/2008 05:29:08 by Counterpoints »

Offline Guthrie

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: 05/06/2008 16:41:23 »
I second Counterpoints' observation that the POIS period often ends relatively 'suddenly.'  I'll be feeling pretty bad throughout it, but then often I'll just be walking along and feel the symptoms draining away pretty much all of a sudden (maybe over a period of twenty minutes or so), and then I have a feeling of relief, with a bit of a lingering aftereffect--sort of similar to what it feel like when a headache or a fever 'breaks'.  It definitely seems to be a non-continuous, non-linear recovery gradient.
« Last Edit: 05/06/2008 16:45:28 by Guthrie »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: 05/06/2008 17:36:32 »

You have to have it [POIS] to really understand how debilitating it is.

Right, girlwind! And what drives me nuts, and probably most of you as well, is that DOCTORS, who should be our knights in shining armor, fail us miserably with their blank stares and "Gee, never heard that one before...next patient, please!"

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: 05/06/2008 17:42:17 »
SUGGESTION

If anyone is in contact with a University or Medical/Research facility, if you can just obtain an EMAIL ADDRESS of "Chief of Endocrinology" or somesuch, please post it here and we can get going with an email letter from Counterpoints, B_Jim and my templates! Thank you! Or just send it yourself and post the contact here so we don't overlap one another! Thanks again!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 05/06/2008 17:49:05 »

...I think the case to have them [fMRI/PET scans]conducted is VERY strong, however, especially with this number of people complaining of similar symptoms and the degree to which these symptoms affect us.

Do you think that pointing to this forum + 30 pages is also good evidence? Maybe it would help to document our case with a complaint submitted to doctors and/or health plan?

Why, oh why, does our life have to be so complicated??Arrrggghhh! ;D

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: 05/06/2008 18:10:44 »
Do you think that pointing to this forum + 30 pages is also good evidence? Maybe it would help to document our case with a complaint submitted to doctors and/or health plan?

I think it is OK, although it would be most effective to have a bunch of viewable files for each of us, which could be generated by an online submission form.  I'll work on it this weekend; I've been pretty busy at work this week.   I'll look into hosting (I have some friends who could host a web-page), but I am still hoping that someone here might be able to host it.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: 06/06/2008 00:07:11 »

I think it is OK, although it would be most effective to have a bunch of viewable files for each of us, which could be generated by an online submission form.  I'll work on it this weekend; I've been pretty busy at work this week.   I'll look into hosting (I have some friends who could host a web-page), but I am still hoping that someone here might be able to host it.

Counterpoints, I passed along your post above to TNS as well as sending in my earlier email request. Hopefully they will host.

Offline Porke

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: 06/06/2008 06:25:52 »
Seems we havent really made much progress

I have posted here before

What does seem interesting to me is that alot of members also describe CFS. I find this interesting because ive been suffering from CFS for some time now as well. I think somehow adrenal fatigue / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Heavy Metals tie into this. The symptoms for all of these problems overlap in many areas, and are difficult to tell apart

Recently ive been doing some reading on adrenal fatigue and mercury (heavy metal) poisoning or overload. It seems they are linked. My question for those with POIS is this: Have any of you had dental fillings(amalgams) with mercury in them (they are usually silver / shiny)

Im just trying to see a common pattern here....

On a side note, I have had limited success with herbal/vitamin supplements. Last weekend i tried a handful of whatever I could find in the cupboard (B vitamins, Zinc, Rhodiola... etc etc etc) and although recovery was shortened to a day or two less, I felt very weird on all stuff.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: 06/06/2008 07:03:04 »
Seems we havent really made much progress

I have posted here before

What does seem interesting to me is that alot of members also describe CFS. I find this interesting because ive been suffering from CFS for some time now as well. I think somehow adrenal fatigue / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Heavy Metals tie into this. The symptoms for all of these problems overlap in many areas, and are difficult to tell apart

Recently ive been doing some reading on adrenal fatigue and mercury (heavy metal) poisoning or overload. It seems they are linked. My question for those with POIS is this: Have any of you had dental fillings(amalgams) with mercury in them (they are usually silver / shiny)

Im just trying to see a common pattern here....

On a side note, I have had limited success with herbal/vitamin supplements. Last weekend i tried a handful of whatever I could find in the cupboard (B vitamins, Zinc, Rhodiola... etc etc etc) and although recovery was shortened to a day or two less, I felt very weird on all stuff.

A day or two less without POIS symptoms seems like a *really* good thing..  It definitely seems worth any side effects from vitamins you might be feeling.  I am guessing that whatever you are feeling (from vitamins) is psychological: you are taking something that is, in almost all cases, good for you.  However, I have a few suggestions.  Be extra careful with Zinc and certain elements -- it can be quite dangerous to take too much of these.  The same goes for vitamins which are stored in fat (e.g. vitamins A and D).

I am confident that POIS has very little to do with mercury poisoning.  You can get a blood test for mercury if you are worried, but my guess is that nothing worrying would show up in the results.  As far as I know, the symptoms described here are not indicative of heavy-metal poisoning.  And I can't see why orgasm would aggravate heavy metal poisoning either.  (To answer your question, I have no mercury fillings).

I also don't think POIS has any connection to chronic fatigue syndrome.

« Last Edit: 06/06/2008 07:07:38 by Counterpoints »

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: 06/06/2008 10:52:28 »
Porke, a couple of years ago I had all my amalgams replaced with white filling on the fear that it might be responsible. It cost me thousands and lots of physical pain as well. The anti-amalgam theories sounded plausible at the time, but now I'm doubting that mercury is the culprit, as I have had POIS symptoms since then.

Offline girlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: 06/06/2008 16:56:14 »

In my situation, CFS and POIS are CLEARLY related. I also know of several other people with CFS (all men) who have both low libido and POIS symptoms.
I don't assume that everyone who has POIS has CFS, but I have read and witnessed that CFS usually does affect both hormonal levels and libido.

As for the heavy metals, I have had several toxic metals show up at very high levels in hair analysis. After a round of oral chelation last year, the levels were
much lower, but not completely gone. I was planning on doing another round of chelation next month and will keep you posted on that.

Heavy metals have definite well documented adverse affects on neurological functioning, especially for the significant percentage of us who are genetically
deficient in the enzymes to effectively eliminate them from our systems. Lead poisoning in children is one cause of learning disabilities, and mercury removal
via chelation has helped some children recover from autism. In addition, heavy metal toxins are considered hormonal disruptors, and since we've all been
subjected to the "wonders of modern chemistry" since the 1950's (via exposure to pesticides, PCB's, dioxin, heavy metals, etc.), it shouldn't be a big surprise
that we've been seriously hormonal disrupted. The xeno-estrogenic effects of these substances have reeked havoc on our entire environment--from fish to
frogs to humans, from huge increases in breast and prostate cancer to astronomical increases in autism. It seems absolutely logical and highly likely for there
to be some correlation between the effects of heavy metal toxins and POIS, and I don't think we should dismiss that possibility.   

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: 06/06/2008 17:16:00 »

In my situation, CFS and POIS are CLEARLY related. I also know of several other people with CFS (all men) who have both low libido and POIS symptoms.

Where are these people?  I don't think they are generally connected.  A majority of POIS cases do not involve CFS.

Again, I am quite confident heavy metal poisoning has little to do with POIS.  If we were to have mercury poisoning, for instance, there is no good reason the symptoms would be aggravated by orgasm, and there is also no good reason the people here would fully recover after several days.  Also, even if we  ignore both stimuli and recovery, I don't think the symptoms quite fit what have been described here.  In any case, it is quite easy to test for these things, and I would guess that a large majority of people here would not have toxic heavy metal levels.

There are a lot of things like CFS, heavy metal poisoning, diet, exercise, and so on, which affect how we feel in a way that concerns POIS symptoms, but they are not causes or cures.

In any case, I'll let the data speak for itself.  But my scientific background and intuition suggests that these things are mostly separate issues from POIS.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2008 17:29:58 by Counterpoints »

Offline Porke

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: 06/06/2008 18:42:05 »
You cant view these issues separately. The reason why I brought up the mercury issue is because ive done tons of research where it not only ties in with adrenal fatigue, but ESPECIALLY with brain chemicals. Mercury accumulates in the brain. Here it disrupts neuro chemicals such as dopamine, seratonin etc etc. So my thought was everyone mentioning dopamine being too low or too high with POIS for several days. The connection comes with mercury then delaying these chemicals replenishing to their 'normal' levels.

Im no doctor, but the adrenal/pituitary/hormonal systems are all linked. If one is out of whack, it affects a bunch of other systems. I keep coming back to CFS and adrenal issues because the side effects of POIS very closely mirror the side effects of when im really under stress / not much sleep, and my adrenals are taking a whack.

Somehow I do think there is a link between these (maybe not even directly, but indirectly) and Mercury could very definitely tie into all of this

Someone on the board mentioned seeing a endocrinologist and ask him about all of this. I think its an excellent idea. Maybe just mention these other issues to him and see what he says. The body is a complex machine... 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: 06/06/2008 21:43:12 »

Someone on the board mentioned seeing a endocrinologist and ask him about all of this. I think its an excellent idea.

Porke, we are in the process of recruiting an endocrinologist to read these posts and suggest low-risk trial cures to this POIS Forum. We have 3 letter templates and progress. Please refer to previous, recent posts. If you can help, that would be great.

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: 07/06/2008 07:27:14 »
Investigating what Porke said about mercury poisoning, concludes that the POIS is directly related to the intestines. According to what I read about bacteria and fungi that live there, their behavior can cause fatigue. The theory I have is that in the intestines after a POIS is poured a kind of natural antibiotic that acts like mercury and that attacks the normal flora present in the intestines. This effect is related to the investigation that made Jeff Clark on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Chronic Mercury Poisoning. That bacterial imbalance produces chronic fatigue. Reading what it is said there an exess of antibiotic kills bacteria and produces diarrhea, in short. Similar to POIS symptom in many cases but not mine, in my case the antibiotic produces quite the opposite, a bacterial imbalance that produces constipation. Wherever, in both cases fatigue arise.
Somewhere in the web page mentions that a cleansing of the bowel as a good measure. Something that I come to experience a long time and the results are consistent, it is there something in the intestines that makes appear fatigue in the brain. I think it needs to be investigated by that side. I will recomend to try farma antibiotics effects on POIS to see what happens next.

Please read this very interesting
The Chronic Candidiasis Syndrome:     http://www.cfs-recovery.org/docdarren2.html [nofollow]

http://perso.wanadoo.es/salud_armonia/articulo32.htm [nofollow]        translate
« Last Edit: 07/06/2008 08:09:37 by solution »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: 07/06/2008 07:56:22 »
Okay, I will modify my previous statement.  This seems like a very far fetched theory, and before taking antibiotics I strongly suggest you consult with a physician.  Also, as far as the other discussion goes, I am quite positive that POIS is not a result of heavy metal poisoning; I say this as someone with a very rigorous and extensive scientific background, who also knows about this subject.  I'd bet that if you were to ask any physician if mercury poisoning were likely connected to POIS the answer would be "no".  Get a test.  I make these comments not to be argumentative, but sincerely hoping for an effective investigation towards treating POIS.

« Last Edit: 07/06/2008 08:27:19 by Counterpoints »

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: 07/06/2008 08:13:32 »
I think you are wrong! you must read I am not saying that mercury is affected. What I am saying is there is a substance poured in the intestine that acts "like" mercury or "like" antibiotic. Investigators said that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is because that antibiotic effect that mercury has. Please read this The Chronic Candidiasis Syndrome:     http://www.cfs-recovery.org/docdarren2.html
The bacterial unbalance is temporary, that substance poured during the orgasm slowly dissapear letting the bacterial balance recovery again.
« Last Edit: 07/06/2008 08:16:07 by solution »

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: 07/06/2008 08:21:33 »
Why diarreas is a common symthom?

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #645 on: 07/06/2008 08:26:27 »
...If you suffer from CFS, you should avoid sugar and sweet foods...Chronic Fatigue Syndrome http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/article/Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome [nofollow]

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: 07/06/2008 08:36:07 »
...Routine blood tests usually don't reveal anything unusual...There are many factors that may contribute to Candida proliferation in the intestines. The primary contributing factor is the use of oral antibiotics ...intestinal Candida proliferation is becoming an ever increasing problem. (Have you ever wondered why so many people recently seem to be suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Irritable Bowel Syndrome?) The treatment of teenage acne with such drugs as tetracycline has been implicated as one of the most important factors in the Chronic ...Candidiasis Syndrome

The Chronic Candidiasis Syndrome:     http://www.cfs-recovery.org/docdarren2.html
« Last Edit: 07/06/2008 08:40:22 by solution »

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 07/06/2008 08:42:19 »
I think is because intestinal Candida proliferation when an orgasm occurs

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: 07/06/2008 08:46:09 »
Candida has also been suggested to play a part in creating what is called a "leaky gut," an unfavorable increase in intestinal permeability. Undigested macromolecule food particles and toxins are allowed to pass directly into the body creating a host of problems. This creates havoc with the immune system when these particles trigger an immune response sensitizing the individual to normally harmless molecules

Offline solution

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: 07/06/2008 08:50:06 »
Symptoms of The Chronic Candidiasis Syndrome
Fatigue or lethargy
Feeling of being drained
Depression or manic depression
Numbness, burning, or tingling
Headaches
Muscle Aches
Muscle weakness or paralysis
Pain and/or swelling in joints
Abdominal Pain
Constipation and/or diarrhea
Bloating, belching or intestinal gas
Women - Troublesome vaginal burning, itching or discharge
Prostatitis
Impotence
Loss of sexual desire or feeling
Endometriosis or infertility
Cramps and/or other menstrual irregularities
Premenstrual tension
Attacks of anxiety or crying
Cold hands or feet, low body temperature
Hypothroidism
Shaking or irritable when hungry
Cystitis or interstitial cystitis
Other
Drowsiness
Ittitability
Incoordination
Frequent mood swings
Insomnia
Dizziness/loss of balance
Pressure above ears...feeling of head swelling
Sinus problems...tenderness of cheekbones or forehead
Tendency to bruise easy
Eczema, itching eyes
Psoriasis
Chronic hives (urticaria)
Indigestion or heartburn
Sensitivity to milk, wheat, corn or other common foods
Mucous in stools
Rectal itching
Dry mouth or throat
Mouth rashes including :white" tongue
Bad breath
Foot, hair, or body odor not relieved by washing
Nasal congestion or post nasal drip
Nasal itching
Sore throat
Laryngitis, loss of voice
Cough or recurrent bronchitis
Pain or tightness in chest
Wheezing or shortness of breath
Urinary frequency or urgency
Burning on urination
Spots in front of eyes or erratic vision
Burning or tearing eyes
Recurrent infections or fluid in ears
Ear pain or deafness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More
Inability to concentrate
Skin problems (hives, athlete's foot, fungous infection of the nails, jock itch, psoriasis (including of the scalp) or other chronic skin rashes)
Gastrointestinal symptoms (constipation, abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas, or bloating)
Symptoms involving your reproductive organs
Muscular and nervous system symptoms (including aching or swelling in your muscles and joints, numbness, burning or tingling, muscle weakness or paralysis)
Recurrent ear problems resulting in antibiotic therapy
Respiratory symptoms
Lupus
Hyperactivity/Attention Deficit Disorder
Recurrent yeast infections in women

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #649 on: 07/06/2008 08:50:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums