The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6449447 times)

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6250 on: 30/11/2009 21:41:12 »

When you say your T was low...do you mean close to lower normal range or below lower normal range?

I spent the last hour searching old posts for the comprehensives, couldn't find them so here's an older post that covers "free T", but I had many hormones tested, including LH, total T, bioavailable T, and much more.

Below, from a previous post of mine, are the results of some free-T results after wearing T-patches for 6 weeks. I have more recent results, which to me aren't important because the patches are working very nicely on my POIS.

SOME TESTOSTERONE TESTING

Someone here asked me privately for my "free testosterone" testing results (much more was tested), so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else is interested:

Before POIS treatment:
(December 2, '08)
                                    reference range

%FREE T            1.47 %           1.5 - 2.2
FREE T             24.4 pg/mL        35 - 155

After POIS treatment:
(March 2, '09 after about 6 weeks of wearing T-patches)

%FREE T             1.45 %             1.5 - 2.2
FREE T              37.0 pg/mL          35 - 155

Free T jumped 50%, from 24.4 to 37.0.

Endocrinologist expects the numbers to keep increasing through June. If they don't, he'll switch me from Androderm T-patches 10mg daily to a pump gel to increase my testosterone.

My endo, who has a very good reputation in the field, agreed with my theory, that even when the T-patches brought me into normal T range and I saw improvement, a 50% increase in T-patches would help POIS dramatically and it did.

« Last Edit: 30/11/2009 21:45:34 by demografx »

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: 30/11/2009 21:51:15 »

I have another question for everyone - does anyone experience "derealization" during a POIS episode?

Yes, I have experienced it and, many others have reported the same. Here are some previous posts to look at:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=derealization+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I read through several posts and I still do not quite get what "derealization" means...  A sense that everything real seems fake?  Or a sense that "I" am outside of reality? Or a sense of confusion - cannot grasp what is really going on around me? A sense that I am not the "real me" anymore? What would be a simple definition? Would the "real" definition please stand up  (drum roll)...

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: 30/11/2009 22:13:32 »
are you more introverted or extroverted?

Definitely extroverted

active or sedentary?

Active

what is your stress level (judged on a scale 1 to 10)?

Almost non-existent, unless under rare exceptional circumstances 

how often are you hungry?

Normally

what is your stool like? (tending towards diarrhea, constipation, or average)

Since I don't know, I'll say average

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: 30/11/2009 22:31:13 »

I have another question for everyone - does anyone experience "derealization" during a POIS episode?

Yes, I have experienced it and, many others have reported the same. Here are some previous posts to look at:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=derealization+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I read through several posts and I still do not quite get what "derealization" means...  A sense that everything real seems fake?  Or a sense that "I" am outside of reality? Or a sense of confusion - cannot grasp what is really going on around me? A sense that I am not the "real me" anymore? What would be a simple definition? Would the "real" definition please stand up  (drum roll)...

Derealization was one of my strongest symptoms, that was, before I took relora. To be clear, I took it for a period of time, stopped taking it, and I still don't experience it.

For me, derealization is synonymous with "brain fog", but not with lack of concentration or even confusion. For me, it is the isolated symptom of really feeling like you're in a fog. Some people describe is as having a veil covering their eyes or being behind a permanent pane of glass. I describe it as being completely detatched from the world around you, perhaps even your own body.

Here's an old post of mine that will help, I hope.

Throughout all the years that I've had POIS it has changed a lot. The most notable change is that I have a lot less brain fog. I think this happened after taking relora. After my brainfog-less POIS episode while on relora, I haven't had the same brain fog that I always had. When I say brain fog, I'm referring mostly to derealization. This "brain fog", to me, was like an actual "pseudo-physical" thing, like an actual fog in my head, not just a loss of concentration. It is the thing that would make me pick up an actual physical object and say "Is this real?", "Is this actually there?". I felt entirely detached from the world around me, like i couldn't reach out and touch someone. That doesn't happen anymore, but I think it has kind of screwed up my gauge of what is normal. Now out of POIS I don't know if I have just a little brainfog, or If that's just "baseline" for me. Things aren't completely clear, visually, to me, even out of POIS. The question I ask myself when holding an object now is "How close am I supposed to feel to this?"

Oh and by the way, I'm not claiming any of that to be a "real" definition, just trying to help you understand.
« Last Edit: 01/12/2009 03:32:36 by Dean93 »

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: 30/11/2009 22:38:44 »

Derealization was one of my strongest symptoms, that was, before I took relora. To be clear, I took it for a period of time, stopped taking it, an still don't experience it.

For me, derealization is synonymous with "brain fog", but not with lack of concentration or even confusion.For me, it is the isolated symptom of really feeling like you're in a fog. Some people describe is as having a veil covering their eyes or being behind a permanent pane of glass. I describe it as being completely detatched from the world around you, perhaps even your own body.

Here's an old post of mine that will help, I hope.

Throughout all the years that I've had POIS it has changed a lot. The most notable change is that I have a lot less brain fog. I think this happened after taking relora. After my brainfog-less POIS episode while on relora, I haven't had the same brain fog that I always had. When I say brain fog, I'm referring mostly to derealization. This "brain fog", to me, was like an actual "pseudo-physical" thing, like an actual fog in my head, not just a loss of concentration. It is the thing that would make me pick up an actual physical object and say "Is this real?", "Is this actually there?". I felt entirely detached from the world around me, like i couldn't reach out and touch someone. That doesn't happen anymore, but I think it has kind of screwed up my gauge of what is normal. Now out of POIS I don't know if I have just a little brainfog, or If that's just "baseline" for me. Things aren't completely clear, visually, to me, even out of POIS. The question I ask myself when holding an object now is "How close am I supposed to feel to this?"

Oh and by the way, I'm not claiming any of that to be a "real" definition, just trying to help you understand.

I guess the closest feeling I have is the sense that "I am stuck in a giant thick spiderweb" but at no time do I actually believe I am in a spider web - it's just a anxiety filled impression of lacking some oxygen, fuzzy vision and feeling oppressed. If that corresponds to derealization then: Yes I do. To me those are all signs of adrenal exhaustion.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6255 on: 30/11/2009 23:25:05 »
I received blood work test results for Testosterone today:

Test        Actual    Reference Range
Total T       950       300 - 900
Free T         20        5 - 25

As shown, I'm average or above average in both tests.  The doctor would not prescribe medication for either test and I probably wouldn't want them to.

Back to the drawing board.

Offline EDS

• View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: 30/11/2009 23:41:19 »
EDS, how does the supplemented T continue to work for you?  At the same success as before, better, or worst?  Thanks!

Quote from: Limejuice on 12/11/2009 22:12:29
I understand.

I'm reluctant to push to try T for one reason - I don't want to jeopardize my natural production of T.  If supplemented T is not the answer to POIS for me, and in testing this disrupted the natural levels for the rest of my life, I would be....upset.

With only you, Demo, cured that risk is too high for me.  If most the forum was cured with T that's a different story.

Make that two of us now! I can safely say that T treatments (5 mg patches) are helping me. I will estimate 60% because it seems to have shortened my recovery time to about half and the time I'm in POIS is less severe. As I stated almost three months ago that I would be happy to see a 5% or 10% improvement - I am seeing far better than that!

I went from 3-4 days of full blown POIS to a day or two. What is strange is that my 1st day, before T treatment, wasn't too bad; now it is my worst day, but day two is much better; which WAS my worst day. So it seems to have accelerated the time for POIS to "kick-in" and also go away. The whole nightmarish process has been moved up by a couple of days.

What does this mean? Is it just the addition of T that is causing improvement? Or is the additional T affecting some other function that speeds up the time to reach full POIS symptoms and recovery?

I don't know what is happening, of course, but I'm sure glad it is!!!!! After over 30 years of this plague, this is the first time I have tried anything that helped!! Thanks Demo!! POIS is getting cross wired... interupted... or something because it is definitely different than it has ever been after "O" for me.

Thanks to everyone involved in this forum! If we keep it up, I know we'll beat this thing!!

Thanks for asking LJ!

Not much has changed from the post above on 12/11/09. I still have improvement from the way it used to be. As stated above, I'm saying 60% improvement mostly based on the time it takes for the process/illness to improve. Maybe a larger dose would move that number higher.... I don't know yet. I'm just thrilled that something has helped, because for the last 30 years I had to just wait four days for the symptoms to subside.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: 30/11/2009 23:55:42 »

I read through several posts and I still do not quite get what "derealization" means...

Maybe this will better explain?
Derealization, definition from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization
« Last Edit: 01/12/2009 06:27:42 by demografx »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: 01/12/2009 00:30:39 »
Yes, I had that feeling of derealization.  It pretty much went away as of now, but I had it for about a year straight.  Now I am limiting O'ing down to once every 2 weeks, ever since last year when I had it it has definitely gotten better.  I'm pretty sure I don't even have it anymore.

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: 01/12/2009 00:45:15 »
Goingcrazy - so your derealization lasted 24/7 for a year?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: 01/12/2009 01:58:01 »

Maybe a larger dose would move that number higher.... I don't know yet. I'm just thrilled that something has helped, because for the last 30 years I had to just wait four days for the symptoms to subside.

10mg/daily brought me into normal T range. I asked for and received a 50% increase, to 15mg/daily, and THAT was a major POIS strike.

"I'm just thrilled that something has helped, because for the last 30 years I had to just wait four days for the symptoms to subside." Describes me exactly, down to the 30 years and the four days! :)

Once again, EDS, congratulations!

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: 01/12/2009 04:52:41 »
demo, have a question for you. what medications to do you know of to help prevent NE's. on the case study, they talked about hormone manipulation to reduce ne's.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: 01/12/2009 05:21:50 »
Goingcrazy - so your derealization lasted 24/7 for a year?

Yes, I remember just sitting at my desk in college just thinking what the heck was wrong with me.  I felt like I wasn't there, had blurry vision, etc. all the symptoms of derealization.  I'd sleep about 14 hours a day, wake up and still feel not alive.  It wasn't 24/7, but it was more there than not.  Idk , the whole symptom is really weird and can result from a lot of stress which I did experience for about a 2 year duration. 

If I were to describe my derealization it would be like an actual cloud sitting in the front of my head, frontal lobe.  Like I actually felt something behind my eyes that I thought needed to come out.
« Last Edit: 01/12/2009 05:25:52 by goingcrazy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: 01/12/2009 06:14:41 »

demo, have a question for you. what medications to do you know of to help prevent NE's. on the case study, they talked about hormone manipulation to reduce ne's.

Laurac, the only thing I recall is a mention here and there of antidepressants possibly slowing down/curtailing desire, which in turn would affect NE's.

According to wikipedia, "Although purported treatments to help prevent or diminish nocturnal emissions are available in abundance, none are known to have undergone any kind of rigorous experimentation or approval process"

Personally, they have plagued my POIS life, and the only NE subsiding that I found was (1) depression and (2) aging!

I POIS forum-googled "medication NE", hopefully there might be something useful there?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=medication+NE+POIS+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fthenakedscientists.com&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

« Last Edit: 01/12/2009 18:06:44 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: 01/12/2009 06:48:40 »

EDS, with your new POIS treatment, do you find that some episodes are inexplicably...not so good?

This one right now is that way for me. And it's inexplicable because I thought if I did this...did that...well, this time, I thought I allowed enough time to lapse between episodes. But it's now Day 2 and it's lingering. Most of the time, it's 90% - 95% POIS-free, but now and then....

Mood-and-events might be an explanation. I might have to go back to the ol' diary.

Strange!
« Last Edit: 01/12/2009 06:50:52 by demografx »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: 01/12/2009 07:30:39 »
I have a question - does anyone's symptoms actually become worse as the days progress, until the day they finally disappear?

Oh yes.... sometimes I think I am not going to get symptoms, and then, pow, got them bad and for days, typcially 10 till it starts to lessen....

Where do you hale from MR_C? I am a "frost bitten Canadian boy" too and if your around 45 you might get the reference to that term in song....

PS.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: 01/12/2009 07:33:14 »

Again bingo.... altered state, de-realization, massive anxiety, headaches, brain fog, you name it..... I get it.... and it gets worse each time, starting to get scary.

PS.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: 01/12/2009 07:37:08 »

FORUM DECORUM - Please read.

Yep, thats us! :-)

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: 01/12/2009 17:28:04 »
Pois-Sufferer -

I'm from Southern Ontario, and definitely frost-bitten.

To everyone -

1) During POIS, if you release again, do you feel a weird chemical feeling in your head, and/or an instant sickness in the bowels?

2) During POIS, when you listen to powerful music that really arouses the emotions, do you feel any strange chemical feelings in your head, as if the music is overloading the brain?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: 01/12/2009 18:21:55 »

Z_one, if you want to see more testing data from my pre-and-post-POIS-treatment results, just let me know. I got lazy on my last post, but I now have more energy since this is Day 2 ;D

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6270 on: 01/12/2009 18:48:57 »
Pois-Sufferer -

I'm from Southern Ontario, and definitely frost-bitten.

To everyone -

1) During POIS, if you release again, do you feel a weird chemical feeling in your head, and/or an instant sickness in the bowels?

2) During POIS, when you listen to powerful music that really arouses the emotions, do you feel any strange chemical feelings in your head, as if the music is overloading the brain?

I think this is all part of the surreal feelings I think a lot of us get... I listen to loud music and really get into it, and sometimes it a little almost exhausting....

I do not get any bowel issues typcially..... would not say never but its maybe 1-2% if any.

Now that said I just O'd 24hrs ago... and very little POIS, odd, I need to see what vitamin cocktail I have been on as of late!

PS.

MR CAD... I am southern too think they call it south-east, in the "valley" as they say around here.....

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: 01/12/2009 23:26:50 »
Hi everyone,
im 30 & suffered from pois since my teens - all the familar symptons.

I have never gone down the drugs route but have had some success with the Alexander Technique. I've going for about 2 years and it HASNT cured it but things just keep getting better and better.

Alexander Technique definitely alleviates pois symptoms.

Its not massage or physio -its pretty unique really, all the instant effects are the opposite of pois symptoms, costs about 30 a go.
it releases your neck/ muscles/nervous system. I would try a couple of different people first, they're some better than others, then if you like carry on.

After about 4 months of going to Alexander technique (and some reflexology too), I managed to figure out the root psychological reason for my problems. When I was a child I had to have an undescended testicle lowered. Obviously at the time the raw pain went away but, unknown to me for all thoses years, the 'fear of pain' never went away. I was subconciously 'gripping', holding and flinching all thoses muscles around that area. Sort of over-protecting myself. This had a long time effect on my posture and muscle strength/health. I was always uneasy when in bed with a girl, esp when she went to touch them. (effecting sexual performance too). I would even wince a bit when i touched them, not that i would anyway. fear of any zap of pain. Unbelievably looking back, I though it was normal! Its definitely not normal, theres no reason why I should tense up at ALL like that. As I was tight, when I had an orgasm all of thoses muscles contractions would send my body 'skew-riff' for a few days causing pois symptoms.
I realise I had to learn to relax- to release those muscles.
Its taken a long time, its hasnt been easy for me emotional facing that fear, & changing my longterm postural habits, but the difference its made my life is marvelous, effecting happiness, posture, muscles and sexual performance. It is my opinion that you only need very little bit of flinching during an orgasm to cause pois type symptons.

I read Mantak Chia 'Multiple orgasmic man' book. to be honest even when theres no ejaculation there still will be some tightness if your muscles arent released(obviously not as much as when you ejaculate), which is why i think about the alexander technique more.

Also read about what Wilhelm Reich said about childhood hangups, orgasms and muscle rigidity. google 'orgasm reflex'

Thanks for listening. I would be very, very interested if anyone out there can relate to my testicle/fear of pain problem ???
can everyone out there totally relax when someone is about to touch your testicles lol ???

Cheers
dave

« Last Edit: 03/12/2009 01:06:52 by demografx »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: 02/12/2009 02:40:14 »
Here's an old case that sounds like POIS.  The doctor tried prescribing OTC supplements.  The first supplement looks like a standard vitamin with to much vitamin E (it's fat soluable).  The second is 5-HTP.

http://www.herballove.com/article.asp?art=191
« Last Edit: 02/12/2009 02:43:42 by Limejuice »

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: 02/12/2009 02:51:08 »
Hi John,

Several months back you reported success from POIS symptoms.  Are you still successful?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: 02/12/2009 03:21:40 »

Here's an old case that sounds like POIS.  The doctor tried prescribing OTC supplements.  The first supplement looks like a standard vitamin with to much vitamin E (it's fat soluable).  The second is 5-HTP.

http://www.herballove.com/article.asp?art=191

LJ, I've heard so many warnings about herballove and Dr Lin over the 3 years here, that I would be very, very careful about "the doctor" and his "prescribing".

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6274 on: 02/12/2009 03:21:40 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length