The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6454192 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6350 on: 12/12/2009 02:26:42 »
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good JOB DEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get well soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6351 on: 12/12/2009 03:45:29 »
Hi All,
Demo is now out of surgery and is doing really well !
Good to hear!

Closest i have to your question. 
During two day high- am basically recovering by being super hyper. 
My tesosterone was aroung 613ng/dl
three days after after orgasm it is 292 ng/dl
Confucius,
This makes me wonder if I should wait more time before doing the test. Amazing change in your results!

Lyme D is very wide spread and it does mimmic alot of diffrent conditions , such as MS, Fibro,CFS, Depression, i know of many that have recieved diagnoses of MS later found out to have Lyme not MS, also CFS, LYME again, with me aswell i recieved the diagnose of  CFS,Depression, it turned out to be Lyme, Lyme is an epedemic in north america and around the world its the fastest growing disease and the largest more then aids and cancer, it is the most political aswell because of its long and very expensive antibiotic treatments some LYME suffers have been 10 yrs in treatments, so insurance companies are also involved in the political part of LYME and not being recognized as an epedemic, I am canadian and in Canada we have alot of Lyme cases that we know about more that we dont , but in the USA you guys are full of Lyme infected Ticks, whole familes have fallen ill to Lyme, many of whom are in my chat group, also they are now saying that Misquitos can also infect us with Lyme
Hi JJ, I have never been bitten by a tick but a lot by mosquitoes. I'm surprised mosquitoes can give lyme. I had a dog bitten by a tick... Also I'm wondering why the tests were negative for you. I tend to think there are many causes for POIS. (Ex. A lot of different diseases are causing fatigue.). So Lyme D can definitely be one of them.

Offline mellivora

• View Profile
« Reply #6352 on: 12/12/2009 11:08:34 »
Demo,
Really happy to read you are doing well after the surgery. All the best in your recovery!

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6353 on: 12/12/2009 11:50:35 »
Good news, thanks Neil!

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6354 on: 12/12/2009 15:19:14 »
All the best to you Demo!

Looking forward to have you back here with your well balanced posts.

Thank you for all you support.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6355 on: 12/12/2009 20:27:32 »
[8D]

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/7784/pois.jpg

(not sure it's serious)

"It's rare but last year I've had 8 patients (5 women + 3 men) who came to me suffering from similar symptoms." says physician and researcher Donald Gibbs, of the Perth institute of Disease studies.

"they all came to me complaining of extreme fatigue, painfull eyes, swelling, sore throat, rashes and achy muscles."

What they had in common besides they flu-like symptoms stunned Gibbs,
"they all reported feeling like this almost immediately after experiencing orgasms. The symptoms last for as long as a week and the condition doesn't respond to any medications that I have found . Only time and abstinence seem to relieve their conditions."

Comments :

- This is the SAME analyse than M.Waldinger made.
- I need to know the list of meds he tried.
- When symptoms begin soon after orgasm, the symptoms are more powerful and long lasting, as we supposed.

Yes.  It's in our best interest to contact him, as well...let him know there are hundreds of us suffering from POIS.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6356 on: 13/12/2009 00:32:14 »
B_Jim,
The article is from Weekly World News, september 17 2002, maybe helpful.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=wPIDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=perth+institute+disease+studies&source=bl&ots=7_Bjc1rGez&sig=C8X-eC6Ep2Qj0NNm9PP6ebGxfGc&hl=fr&ei=4S8kS6C7EsnklAePnfTzCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=perth%20institute%20disease%20studies&f=true

I couldn't find this institute in the australian phone book...

In the POIS publication (Dr Waldinger paper) there is a small list of unsuccessful treatments:
Antihistamines,prednison. SSRI,benzo helped for the mental state but not for somatic symptoms.
« Last Edit: 13/12/2009 01:11:57 by martin88 »

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6357 on: 13/12/2009 01:59:05 »
B_Jim,
The article is from Weekly World News, september 17 2002, maybe helpful.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=wPIDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=perth+institute+disease+studies&source=bl&ots=7_Bjc1rGez&sig=C8X-eC6Ep2Qj0NNm9PP6ebGxfGc&hl=fr&ei=4S8kS6C7EsnklAePnfTzCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=perth%20institute%20disease%20studies&f=true

I couldn't find this institute in the australian phone book...

In the POIS publication (Dr Waldinger paper) there is a small list of unsuccessful treatments:
Antihistamines,prednison. SSRI,benzo helped for the mental state but not for somatic symptoms.

Let's not forget this text seems to be from September 2002 and from Weekly World News (not exactly a Scientific Journal) ... and it is from a paper that also delivers articles such as  "Dead Sea scroll foresaw the internet", "woman sells hubby's organs in on-line auction", "cow poop tea - miracle cold medicine", "ghost hookers haunting sex shop", "aliens coming back home - to Earth!", "how to flash freeze your relatives for just pennies a day" (we could try that while someone discovers a cure), "Giant lobster attacks diver", "Robot ape terrorizes India" etc.   So if there is any validity at all in the "POIS" article it is probably not using the right name for the doctor or the right Institute. It is just another freak story in their "entertaining" but ridiculous paper...

Offline Finally

• View Profile
« Reply #6358 on: 13/12/2009 03:59:13 »
I was bitten by a bug on the nose in 1976 and felt very ill almost immediately.  Not sure if it was a tick but it seemed too large to be a deer tick. Since I reacted to swat it away I never found the bug. I was not far  from East Lyme CT at the time. 
It was right after that the POIS symptoms appeared.

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6359 on: 13/12/2009 13:26:14 »
What do you think ? Has the Institute closed ? Is the article a fake ?
I agree with Pablo but it's so important that we must verify. Eventually the institute has an other name or it's a fake. In an other article they are writing about an "institute for paranormal studies in belgium" :) I couldn't find it but there is a center for unexplained phenomenon in belgium..

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6360 on: 13/12/2009 13:54:31 »
I was bitten by a bug on the nose in 1976 and felt very ill almost immediately.  Not sure if it was a tick but it seemed too large to be a deer tick. Since I reacted to swat it away I never found the bug. I was not far  from East Lyme CT at the time. 
It was right after that the POIS symptoms appeared.
Ticks are not the only vector for Lyme disease. All kinds of critters can be carriers: mosquitoes, spiders, etc. But then it does not mean the critter is carrying the bacteria. A bite does not equal Lyme disease. One has to be tested and present the clinical signs too. POIS could be considered a clinical sign and I believe it is worth being tested at least with the Igenex test and maybe even follow up with more tests afterward to confirm. If it is the case the therapy would be very focused: to get rid of Lyme disease - a daunting task by itself but at least a possible one.

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: 13/12/2009 14:02:35 »

Pablo445 : Thanks for your analyse. I know that's why I add not sure it's serious.  Why other medias didn't write something. Are you agree when I say it's the same analyse that waldinger made in 2002 ? 

Exactly - why do we read about this ONLY in this tabloid?  There is probably something true about it but it might be from a conversation someone had with a doctor and the rest was just invented - together with the "Robot ape terrorizes India" etc. For all we know it might have been someone who saw an article about the Waldinger paper and decided to thwart it enough to fit in the Weekly World New. Anyway I understand it could bring additional information but I would not waste too much time on this. If the doctor had claimed to find a cure it would be a different story and we could ask Crocodile Dundee for help.

Offline greg44

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: 13/12/2009 14:20:14 »
Not sure if these symptoms related to POIS,

My skin is horrible i got so many pimples on face and top of shoulders. I noticed that every time when I poo that its like its covered with a layer of mucus that I have to wipe up, I can see layer of something like oil on surface of water, pretty nasty.
« Last Edit: 13/12/2009 14:26:04 by greg44 »

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: 13/12/2009 17:27:44 »
Wow! I just saw this thread has been viewed over 500,000 times!  No bad for a "rare" disorder.

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: 13/12/2009 17:37:45 »
This has probably been discussed before: http://www.issm.info/v4/data/issmlist/digest13.asp

Digest of recent discussions on ISSM mail (January - April 2006)

Hussein Ghanem MD

Discussion Digest

It is interesting that 3 of the last 6 clinical discussions on ISSM List involved post orgasmic headaches or cognitive symptoms. The proposed post-orgasmic illness syndrome (POIS) was brought up during the discussion.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: 13/12/2009 23:09:31 »
Quote from: CCconfucius on 10/12/2009 21:22:22
Closest i have to your question. 
During two day high- am basically recovering by being super hyper. 
My tesosterone was aroung 613ng/dl
three days after after orgasm it is 292 ng/dl

Confucius,
This makes me wonder if I should wait more time before doing the test. Amazing change in your results!

I think was high like that because of that that sevenday jump men experience if they have no sexual ecounters for a week. It is all tricky because both results are within range.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: 13/12/2009 23:11:50 »
CCconfucius when did you notice POIS started for you, was it during or after your bout with the measles? can you pinpoint a time when it started for you?

I hade measles around 7-10 between those ages not sure when. notice pois 17. But was absent minded since begining of high school ( always loosing my things). discovered masturbation in 8th grade.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: 14/12/2009 03:32:40 »
Not sure if these symptoms related to POIS,

My skin is horrible i got so many pimples on face and top of shoulders. I noticed that every time when I poo that its like its covered with a layer of mucus that I have to wipe up, I can see layer of something like oil on surface of water, pretty nasty.

Again I still have acne at 44, its a lot less than ever but still there, and yes oily face, and yes have a time noted the oily stool.

PS

Offline bright n clean

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: 14/12/2009 04:12:04 »
i am a 55 year old woman who has had pois for over 10 years. I get severe joint pain and physical and mental fatigue the second day and it continues for a week or two. Eyesight gets blurry. Depressed.

According to some of my research in the field of ayurvedic medicine, the food we eat goes through transformations within our bodies.

"For both men and women, reproductive health depends on the health of the shukra dhatu, or reproductive tissue. In women the shukra tissue creates the ovum as part of the monthly cycle, and in men the semen is formed due to sexual stimulation. The shukra tissue itself is created as part of a long chain of metabolic transformations, starting with the digestion of food and including the transformation of food to nutrient fluid, that becomes blood, then blood becomes muscle, then fat, then bone, then bone marrow and finally, to shukra tissue.  Even if you don't want to conceive, there is a value in enhancing the shukra tissue. Shukra has a dual function, not only producing the sperm and ovum but also ojas, the finest product of digestion. Ojas creates vigor, bliss, lightness, stamina, immunity, luster in the skin, sparkle in the eyes, and clarity of mind. Ojas is vital to the health and happiness of everyone.
"Ojas: The Substance That Maintains Life. "People that can read auras will see that when the ojas is strong the aura is bright and shining. "
"Ojas is the subtle glue that cements the body, mind and spirit together, integrating them into a functioning individual."
"Ojas is the by-product of a healthy, efficient, contented physiology. It is the "juice" that remains after food has been properly digested and assimilated. When you are producing ojas, it means all your organs have integrated vitality and you are receiving the nourishment your mind and body need. Your whole being hums with good vibrations because you are producing and feeling bliss, not pain. However, when your agni isn't working properly, you don't produce ojas. Instead food, thoughts, and feelings turn into ama" or toxins which creates our feelings of malaise.

As i understand it, having 'oh' depletes ojas. Semen that is conserved nourishes the brain. Pois sufferers are more sensitive or less healthy than someone who has no symptoms, but we are not imagining things. The amino acids are helpful in improving digestion and releving pain. Vitamin D and  Vitamin B-12 are helpful. A search of ayurveda and ojas would be educational. Celibacy is very helpful. (try to fill a glass while emptying it.) [:I]

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: 14/12/2009 17:57:52 »
A question for everyone - for you, does the diarrhea aspect continue off and on throughout the duration of POIS, or is it only a few hours later and then non-recurring?

Offline sports_fan

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: 15/12/2009 06:20:44 »
I've seen this thread in the past but haven't left a comment yet.  I been having POIS symptoms for 11 years i am 28 now.. after orgasm i can't think and process thoughts, when i talk words come very difficult to me, it feels like a TIA type symptoms.. severe fatique and social anxiety, memory loss, very diminished IQ.. this all lasts for 2-3days... i take zoloft and adderall but they are more effective when no orgasm for 1-2 days however they do help very little right after the orgasm.. My urologist is not aware of POIS and neither are 5 MD's,, i have been referred to sexual therapist but i feel like its a waste of time... all my blood tests came back normal... i am hoping that there will be a cure for this sumtime soon  :D
« Last Edit: 15/12/2009 06:24:07 by sports_fan »

Offline Ragnar

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: 15/12/2009 18:12:31 »
First Post:
My POIS has gotten worse over the years: always head aches, depression, runny tummy back ache as several reported. Used to be only after orgasm but now it happens even after hot sex without orgasm...
A very good description of what happens with the neuro-chemistry and helpful tips to get around the syndrome is "Cupids Poisoned Arrow" by Marnia Robinson

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: 15/12/2009 21:18:08 »
congrats demo on your success.

I'd just like to say that from last year my symptoms used to last 1-2 weeks.  Now I can say I have gotten it down to a solid 1-2 days than I am fine, I believe from celibacy, eating a bit "right", and exercise.  In my mind this might even be a symptom of depression, or even the cause of it.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: 16/12/2009 05:20:11 »
B_Jim, do you know when that article was written?

I'm not able to find an abundant source of information about either the Dr. or the Institute, which is unusual for Dr.'s and institutes in general.  An explaination could be that the article is old. 

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: 16/12/2009 12:26:11 »
it has occurred to me that any correspondence i have sent out to local health organizations concerning POIS have probably been ignored due to the fact im sending them from a HOTMAIL or GMAIL account. is there any legitimate way to get a .EDU email address without having to pay for it?

http://www.cff.org/getinvolved/mailinglabels/

It's snail mail, but perhaps a way to get through on the most important stuff?
« Last Edit: 16/12/2009 12:49:12 by demografx »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6374 on: 16/12/2009 12:26:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums