The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6438664 times)

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6400 on: 19/12/2009 23:06:58 »
Several time I have found that eating "good fats" (poly + mono) and reduce bad fats ( like butter) increase my derealisation, decrease my stress resistance and my weight.

I am not surprised about the polyunsaturated fats - those are not good fats - they are pro-inflammatory, but I am very surprised olive oil (mono) would be a problem unless it is consumed in large quantity. Purists would say no oil should be eaten - only fatty whole foods.

Note the study mentioned that Saturated fats AND mono are both good to increase testosterone, but polyunsaturated fats are bad and decrease testosterone.  So butter and olive oil is fine but not sesame, safflower, sunflower, corn, etc. oils - all the polyunsaturated oils.
« Last Edit: 20/12/2009 01:16:05 by Pablo445 »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: 20/12/2009 08:26:13 »
report on "low dose naltrexone","LDN", current dose @ 2 mg, with titration to 4.5 mg.  no NE's in 24 days. sleep improved drastically. beta endorphine levels tripled. have not o'd on "LDN", so dont know effect on pois. will report back with more info.

also has anybody used an mao inhibitor.  if mao was released in large amounts after "o", the enzymes A and B could easily dismantle all of our nuerotransmiters; seretonin, dopamine,ect.., everything with a tryptamine base.

Offline wooder

• View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: 20/12/2009 22:21:12 »
still think it has somethingt od o with chi loss

currently taking liquid vitamins( not heat treated) ginseng, gingko bibola and tryingt o get exercise but

i can't seem to abstain for 2-3 months, to give my body a chance at least at repair

the best I can manage is 2 weeks

if I have a drink, I also come home alone and find myself yielding

I am also coming off anti depressants as I keep on wondering if they have had an impact by artifcially increasing serotonin

and at the mo, dancing apart, cant seem to find the enthuiasam in the winter months to do the cross trainer 3 times a week , like I was in the summer, though if the exercise becomes a stressor, that can also work against you

can i just ask

am i the only 1 who almost feels like I have a sore throat after Oing

weird sensations prickles on your thumb

like my testicles have been sucked dry: feels uncomfortable for a short while

more emotional

a little more anxious and indecisive

the big O seems to excacerabate my sarcoidosis(sure there is a link between auto immune disease and this)

« Last Edit: 23/12/2009 06:46:01 by demografx »

Offline m_papanikitas

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: 20/12/2009 22:28:08 »
sudden headache seconds before orgasm!!!!
hello every one
i have been suffering an exploding pain in the right back side of my head seconds before orgasm ?!
can any one please describe it to me and tell me what to do ? am really worry about it
shall i go ask medical help?
or it is something that will pass easily and soon?

thanks a lot in advance

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: 20/12/2009 22:42:05 »

Y
sudden headache seconds before orgasm!!!!
hello every one
i have been suffering an exploding pain in the right back side of my head seconds before orgasm ?!
can any one please describe it to me and tell me what to do ? am really worry about it
shall i go ask medical help?
or it is something that will pass easily and soon?

thanks a lot in advance
You must check this thread also..

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=2734.0

I think it may also be much more similar to your experience.. but do check out both threads.

It is always wise as with any sudden pain that just starts, that you have it checked by a physician who can rule out other more serious medical problems first.

Good luck.

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6405 on: 20/12/2009 23:05:55 »
IF this question is applicable to this subject, would the group please address it?

Thanks, JimBob

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=27619

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: 21/12/2009 02:29:21 »
I'm glad to hear you're recovering Demografx!

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: 21/12/2009 02:32:01 »
report on "low dose naltrexone","LDN", current dose @ 2 mg, with titration to 4.5 mg.  no NE's in 24 days. sleep improved drastically. beta endorphine levels tripled. have not o'd on "LDN", so dont know effect on pois. will report back with more info.

also has anybody used an mao inhibitor.  if mao was released in large amounts after "o", the enzymes A and B could easily dismantle all of our nuerotransmiters; seretonin, dopamine,ect.., everything with a tryptamine base.

I have been very interested in testing this for a long time.  Please let me know how it goes!

I have the same question as B Jim about the "beta endorphin levels".
« Last Edit: 21/12/2009 02:33:34 by Counterpoints »

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: 21/12/2009 23:30:55 »
about beta endorphin levels rising.  i have no test results to prove that mine have risen.  lab results acquired from patients submitting them to the low dose naltrexone.org site have reported these changes in levels. i am formally redacting my statement about my levels rising.  one improvement is that i have not had an NE in 26 days, i am two nights away from making it to the Fourth week mark.  i feel that extra endorphins are blocking more physical sensation(only speculation). the only other time i was able to beat this record was last year while on percocet for my back, i made it a full calendar month with out NE. i will report back later.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: 22/12/2009 01:03:23 »
I'm amazed that any of you can go even more than a week without orgasm.

My POIS presently has about 4 stages:

Stage 1: Intense cravings for sexual relief.  Craving headache.  Loss of fluency of thought.  Loss of concentration.  There is no point in NOT having an orgasm in this stage, because the symptoms become as distracting as POIS symptoms.
Stage 2: Orgasm.  Brain fog.  Extreme anxiety.  Feels absolutely terrible to concentrate.  Anything that stresses the nervous system seems especially unbearable -- for instance, even being cold for a few minutes when I get out of the shower (something I normally wouldn't notice). However, there is a certain sense of sexual relief, and the symptoms of stage 1 go away.
Stage 3:  Stage 3 follows after several subsequent orgasms.  Eventually, after one of these orgasms, I will feel an extraordinary sense of relief.  My thoughts will move quickly.  My confidence comes back.  My intelligence is restored.  I feel mildly euphoric and manic.
Stage 4: Intense feeling of withdrawal.  Brain fog sets in. Heart palpitations (fast noticeable heart beat). Still feel free of the 'stage 2' symptoms, and I also feel like there is nothing I can do but wait these withdrawal symptoms out (unlike in stage 2).  Cognitive problems are quite specific in this stage: I have particular trouble reading anything or concentrating on anything.  In stage 2, it feels excruciating to concentrate, and my ability is diminished... however if I really push myself, I still can read things and retain information.  In stage 4, this actually seems impossible.  However, I am more relaxed and more at ease at being in this stage... for instance, the little nervous system stresses (being cold out of a shower, etc.), do not bother me.  So it no longer feels bad to concentrate, but I am unable to concentrate.
Stage 5: Recovery from stage 4.  Able to think clearly, intelligence restored, no cravings.  I essentially feel the way I did before I ever had POIS. 
Stage 6: Go back to stage 1.

Each stage lasts about 2 days.
« Last Edit: 22/12/2009 18:29:33 by Counterpoints »

Offline atlgreg

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: 22/12/2009 03:02:26 »
I am so happy to have found this thread!  I knew I couldn't be the only person in the world with this problem.  I am forty years old and more or less since puberty I have suffered from brain fog, irritability, and absentmindedness the day after having an orgasm.  Like many of you, I have to plan sexual activity based on what I will have to do the next day.  I'm very tired of living like this and look forward to digesting all the information in this thread.  I am under treatment for depression and obsessive compulsive disorder, but when I asked my psychiatrist about my symptoms, he had never heard of such a thing.  I have done numerous web searches in the past but never found anything about this before. 

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: 22/12/2009 13:57:34 »
the big O seems to excacerabate my sarcoidosis(sure there is a link between auto immune disease and this)
Just an other supplement maybe useful when stress depress the immune system. Lowers cholesterol, helps to balance the immune system, autoimmune tendency, stress, elevated cortisol, CFS, thyroid imbalance, gluten sensitivity, allergies..

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/treat/T479409.html

Offline Dean93

• View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: 22/12/2009 22:12:37 »
I'm amazed that any of you can go even more than a week without orgasm.

My POIS presently has about 4 stages:

Stage 1: Intense cravings for sexual relief.  Craving headache.  Loss of fluency of thought.  Loss of concentration.  There is no point in NOT having an orgasm in this stage, because the symptoms become as distracting as POIS symptoms.
Stage 2: Orgasm.  Brain fog.  Extreme anxiety.  Feels absolutely terrible to concentrate.  Anything that stresses the nervous system seems especially unbearable -- for instance, even being cold for a few minutes when I get out of the shower (something I normally wouldn't notice). However, there is a certain sense of sexual relief, and the symptoms of stage 1 go away.
Stage 3:  Stage 3 follows after several subsequent orgasms.  Eventually, after one of these orgasms, I will feel an extraordinary sense of relief.  My thoughts will move quickly.  My confidence comes back.  My intelligence is restored.  I feel mildly euphoric and manic.
Stage 4: Intense feeling of withdrawal.  Brain fog sets in. Heart palpitations (fast noticeable heart beat). Still feel free of the 'stage 2' symptoms, and I also feel like there is nothing I can do but wait these withdrawal symptoms out (unlike in stage 2).  Cognitive problems are quite specific in this stage: I have particular trouble reading anything or concentrating on anything.  In stage 2, it feels excruciating to concentrate, and my ability is diminished... however if I really push myself, I still can read things and retain information.  In stage 4, this actually seems impossible.  However, I am more relaxed and more at ease at being in this stage... for instance, the little nervous system stresses (being cold out of a shower, etc.), do not bother me.  So it no longer feels bad to concentrate, but I am unable to concentrate.
Stage 5: Recovery from stage 4.  Able to think clearly, intelligence restored, no cravings.  I essentially feel the way I did before I ever had POIS. 
Stage 6: Go back to stage 1.

Each stage lasts about 2 days.

Same.

I've figured out that my limit is 6 days. Anything beyond that is all downhill. I start to "lose fluency", and by day 10 I'm so irritable it's almost as bad as POIS itself. Also I can feel fluid building up in my prostate...not pleasant.

Well...at least that's some progress. Have you ever tried just pushing beyond your limits? I can't imagine that it would get any better, but if anyone knows otherwise, please share.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: 22/12/2009 23:10:22 »
i can feel pressure building up in my prostate also during the time you are talking about.  it also feels like there is a toxin building up in my system, stronger everyday. this time it has leveled off to a point that i feel is far better than being in pois. i have cfs also, so my normal is pretty crappy in general. as i have stated above i have not tested low dose naltrexone through an "O", but it might help people who are willing to be abstinent for longer periods of time have more time off from pois.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: 23/12/2009 06:54:45 »
Thanks much, Counterpoints, for wishing me well in recovering from major open heart surgery. Finally escaped hospital today, expecting slow recovery. Maybe we'll cure POIS by then!

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: 23/12/2009 10:44:14 »
To recap my last O experience... I had no initial symptoms but a full week later a mental exhaustion set in, what I used to call the second phase of my POIS. It fooled me because it took so long to appear. I am still wondering if the high magnesium diet has influenced things. I am considering that maybe POIS is arteriovascular in oregin. The magnesium in spinach seems to be good for the circulatory system, as is the folic acid. I do have pulsatile tinnitus, a clicking sound in one ear in time with my pulse which is definitely vascular. My double vision could also have a vascular oregin. Could something released at (and after) orgasm be playing havoc on our veins and arteries, constricting them or something?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: 23/12/2009 18:29:48 »
Just showing test results with lab corp

Catecholimines - urine
epinephrine, urine     7          no ranges
epinephrine, u 24hr    10      0-32ug/24hr
norepinehrine, ur 43 
norepinephrine u,24hr  60      0   - 140
dopamine, urine     157ug/l    undefined
dopamine, ur, 24hr   220ug/24    65 - 610

magnesium serum      2.1     1.6   -  2.6 mg/dl
crp                  1.8     0.0   -  4.9 mg/l
magnesium rbc        4.6     4.2   -  6.8 mg/dl
« Last Edit: 23/12/2009 18:53:16 by CCconfucius »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: 24/12/2009 02:13:07 »

Demo,

Oh, so that's what's up with Popeye.... his exuberant gun show demonstrates his his lack of POIS symptoms from his recent encounter with lady Oyl!   ;D

See how major surgery can affect the brain? I just now got it ;D

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: 25/12/2009 00:48:47 »
Demo,
Quote from: John21 on 18/12/2009 06:43:37

Demo,

Oh, so that's what's up with Popeye.... his exuberant gun show demonstrates his his lack of POIS symptoms from his recent encounter with lady Oyl! 

See how major surgery can affect the brain? I just now got it 

Perhaps it was a bit obtuse, I couldn't quite distill it down to something pithy. Maybe surgery of the brain would help. ;D

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: 25/12/2009 04:29:30 »
John, we're on the same wavelength. My name is down for brain transplant. No willing donors yet..............

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL!

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6420 on: 25/12/2009 21:33:13 »
I've been drinking hot chocolate lately and have been noticing some "happy" hormonal release or something.  I suggest some of you guys try it.  Also the last few orgasms i had were non-POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: 26/12/2009 04:30:27 »

Ragnar, sports_fan, bright n clean, greg44, m_papanikitas and atlgreg, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!
« Last Edit: 26/12/2009 04:33:56 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: 26/12/2009 04:37:31 »

Ragnar, sports_fan, bright n clean, greg44, m_papanikitas, and atlgreg, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: almost 3 years' worth of posts from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found on the Internet, but not on this forum.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: 26/12/2009 06:47:55 »
On the Mayo clinic website I found these following potential treatments for chronic fatigue which had me thinking about their relation to POIS:

[Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, others). This psychostimulant appears to boost and balance levels of the brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. It's commonly used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). One study found that methylphenidate lessened fatigue and improved concentration in some people with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Treatment of depression. If you're depressed, medications such as tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) may help. Antidepressants may also help improve sleep and relieve pain. Commonly prescribed antidepressants include amitriptyline (Amitid, Amitril), desipramine (Norpramin) and nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor). SSRIs include fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem), paroxetine (Paxil) and sertraline (Zoloft).

Cholinesterase (ko-lin-ES-tur-ase) inhibitors, such as galantamine. These drugs improve the effectiveness of acetylcholine, a chemical messenger that is believed to be important for memory, thought and judgment. Galantamine is used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, but it has not been found beneficial for chronic fatigue syndrome.]

Is there any general consensus regarding if tricyclic antidepressants and or methylphenidate can have a generally positive effect on POIS sufferers? [?] Please any replies would be helpful so I can have some more info when I talk to my DOC.

Also if there is any consensus can someone please post it to the POIS website. I know it is a bunch of work so I hate to complain, but it appears as though many attempted remedies/failed remedies/suggested theories and "avoiding NE tips" are missing from the POIS website.

Do I just need to perfect my forum searching skills or could other people also benefit from a more in depth summary on the POIS site, if someone is willing to work more on it?   [?]

A few updates: Neither my gluten free nor short term "GAPS diet" seemed to kill pois, though I do continue with the gluten free diet for health benefits :P

TAKE NOTE, If not noted already, I find that going to bed on an empty stomach significantly helps avoid NE's ;D! Anyone else?

I tried "Endorphix" "endorphin amplifying euphoric energizer". It did not kill POIS BUT, did have a positive psychological and physical effect that is difficult to quantify but it did help me make it through the workday which was nice. ;) Anyone have an opinion on "Endorphix" whether having read the label or tried it?

And for anyone depressed, ever try eating a pint of ice cream in one sitting? It might make you smile. It kinda works for me sometimes. Just not right before bed. ;D

Most importantly, what are your favored antidepressant/attention deficit/anti anxiety meds for me to consider?

Happy Holidays ALL [O8)]

« Last Edit: 26/12/2009 06:50:26 by THISFORUMROCKS! »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: 27/12/2009 01:33:26 »

...treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

[and]

Treatment of depression.

Adderall helps my POIS, concentration, and depression.

On antidepressant Cymbalta daily. Not sure about it's impact, except that if I stop it suddenly, sadness becomes more pronounced.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6424 on: 27/12/2009 01:33:26 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length