The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6457362 times)

Offline John21

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6425 on: 27/12/2009 16:18:58 »
NE...and here we go again. This time I am affected but not in a large sense so far. One of the first subtle things I notice change is in my eyesight, the circuitry seems to be altered. Another initial change I notice is my knees, and I am amazed that no one else has reported experiencing this... I feel a definite change in them, like a weakness or something. And my mind seems altered and bogged down. In this state I feel very vulnerable to stress, that it can do damage if it is allowed to enter.

I guess I'm not quite free of it yet... :(

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: 27/12/2009 17:42:30 »

I hope you have a good and happy Christmas.
--
According some sites, low testosterone cause anxiety,depression and inability to concentrate/cognitive disorders and lethargy.
Demo, has your concentration be improved with T-patchs too ?
I'm very bored with this symptom :/

B_Jim, I get very, very bored with symptoms, like you. It's normal. However I believe that all of us can improve...albeit not completely...to eliminate the boredom.

One thing I did to fight symptom-boredom in several areas of my life was to "push, push, push" this POIS forum...(remember the early days when sometimes it was only you and me and John posting? :) And the mortality rate of new forums is 90%+ so we should take some pleasure in the achievement of our survival!!

For me, sometimes the boredom goes away just by getting involved in someone else's POIS problems. Or to visit a possible POIS donor or researcher. Or simply to cut and paste a picture of Popeye eating POIS-destroying spinach or cut and paste Oprah Winfrey making googly-eyes at "goingcrazy" :)

POIS has always been my misery, so I turned it into a hobby!

Also, I FORCED myself to go back to the piano (I didn't play for 5 years).

B_Jim, I think ANY challenge can work for you or me to get out of "boredom" with symptoms. It doesn't have to be difficult, just....different! Simple steps ALWAYS help me, even if it's as small as sending a 10X - repeate :Dd email to Dr Waldinger

DIFFICULT question about testosterone that you asked, B_Jim. Has it improved my concentration? I can only GUESS that the answer is yes, because I don't know with certainty how to evaluate it "scientifically".

So I just go through each day, SOMETHING has improved my concentration (not just meds, but I'm also working harder to listen, to read, etc. - and even with that, I feel disappointed at times. Some days, I feel lucky just to find our forum website ;D
« Last Edit: 28/12/2009 05:48:17 by demografx »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: 27/12/2009 17:48:24 »

John, you mirror my sentiments above. You remind me that I've changed the way to look at it...by reminding myself that I can come here to the forum and post my frustration and....people understand!

I've trained myself to accept that "I'm not quite free of it yet", B U T I'm also not living in the old days when I would try to explain POIS to a doctor...only to get severely rejected about POIS: "Go see a psychiatrist!" !!!!!

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: 27/12/2009 19:01:33 »
One symptom that occurs immediately after a trigger is weakness and/or numbness in the feet.  For example, I'll wake after an non-emission NE and explicitly know the waking was caused by an NE by sensations in the feet (not by emission).

I've moderately experiemented with this symptom in an attempt to reduce POIS duration by massaging the feet, but without success.  I'm still confident by the mental feeling proceeding O that the issue is chemical/hormonal in the brain. At orgasm I can almost feel it tweak.

Offline greg44

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: 27/12/2009 20:03:35 »
Been taking 10mg per day of Valium(Diazepam) for 2 weeks now and have noticed a huge reduction in all symptoms. I decided to try an O to see how my POIS is. O day not much, day 2 I noticed a little bit of elevation in symptoms, but by day 3 and 4 nothing. Back to same as before the O. Overall I'd say I'm 80% cured of the POIS symptoms. Unfortunately I read that you can start developing tolerance towards this drug and its effects will reduce over time but I'm good for now. Something interesting I noticed that I can now get by on 5-6 hours sleep and feel just fine where as before it was nearly impossible due to symptoms being so strong, was forced to sleep 8-9 hours.
What is weird is doctor told me that the Valium should cause me to become severely fatigued but it seems to have had the opposite effect by giving me more energy throughout the day ???
« Last Edit: 27/12/2009 20:36:51 by greg44 »

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: 27/12/2009 22:47:56 »
Been taking 10mg per day of Valium(Diazepam) for 2 weeks now and have noticed a huge reduction in all symptoms. I decided to try an O to

I also take ATIVAN which is in the same family at 1mg to get me over the bad days of POIS, if I took 10mg I think I would be dead! 2mg and your pretty "high" 3mg and I get amnesia! I am sure they are different in nature the Diazepam and ATIVAN (Lorazepam http://www.drugs.com/lorazepam.html)

But without it I would probably kill myself when in bad POIS!

PS.

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: 27/12/2009 23:25:53 »
NE...and here we go again. This time I am affected but not in a large sense so far. One of the first subtle things I notice change is in my eyesight, the circuitry seems to be altered. Another initial change I notice is my knees, and I am amazed that no one else has reported experiencing this... I feel a definite change in them, like a weakness or something. And my mind seems altered and bogged down. In this state I feel very vulnerable to stress, that it can do damage if it is allowed to enter.

hmm knees... okay im not sure if this is related, but I do notice after an O (ie POIS-mode) that exercise is much more difficult. To me it feels like I become far more sensitive to pain and fatigue

on another note... has anyone looked into chemical castration, or some kinda of nerve snip to prevent O's from ever occurring ever again? Ive been thinking about this lately, although I have been near 100% effective in not having NE's for the last few years, having to take a muscle relaxer every night to ensure this i think is really taking a toll on my body

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: 28/12/2009 05:09:12 »

Defsync, it seems awfully drastic! but one of our POIS posters here claimed that he did exactly what you're suggesting!:
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg191479#msg191479

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: 28/12/2009 05:37:53 »

Rare Illness Appears in US for First Time

Did that get your attention?

It did mine.

It was "front page" AOL News.

No, it wasn't about POIS, but...just wondering...it tells me that POIS does have a nice potential publicity basis to it. And if we can somehow get out there and DO IT, maybe we can get the world's help a little more easily than we are now?

Hellooooooo? Any advertising or publicity experts here??? :D

« Last Edit: 28/12/2009 05:40:14 by demografx »

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: 28/12/2009 23:48:32 »
I think for publicity sake/forum members benefit, we should hold an annual conference/s for discussing POIS theories/findings/symptoms etc.

The main point being to carry the discussion from sufferers online to word of mouth within the general public/media outlets/health care workers.

If actual people gathered in one or more places at once and pamphlets were handed out or whatever, people would eventually come and take notice, local media would take notice; the word would get out.

Media Option 2 is for a POIS sufferer to join a reality TV show, anybody?

And I'm still looking forward to some more youtube videos on the subject, anyone?
If nobody wants to show their identity on video, maybe an actor/actress/friend could be utilized to read a POIS message on youtube?

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #6435 on: 29/12/2009 00:02:40 »
JOHN21,
I notice weak knees starting after NE worsening for a few days till they are at their worst, then gradually improving for a few days after. Its hard to say if it is specifically knee related or just related to overall NE muscle weakness/fatigue in general. TFR!  ;D

Offline greg44

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: 29/12/2009 04:05:39 »
Read through this article related to GABA but left with couple questions.

Just because you consume the food/supplement (L-theanine) that can be used as building blocks for GABA production, What do you have to do to actually get your body to make use of it and increase GABA naturally?

How much tolerance do you build up to GABA enhancer drugs like valium(diazepam) from long term use. Does it reduce by 50% and level out or does it become 100% ineffective?

I've tried ativan(lorezpam) when i had panick attack and damn that stuff is strong, 10 mg valium not even close to the tranquilizer effect the small 2 mg dose of ativan had on me.

Gabapentin(Neurontin) is weak in comparison to valium, Valium much more effective for me.

Cyclobenzaprine I tried that stuff and had some of the worst side effects within 5 days. No idea why my body rejected that stuff so much when I have barely any side effect with the valium.
« Last Edit: 29/12/2009 04:18:13 by greg44 »

Offline Alexia

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6437 on: 29/12/2009 16:56:50 »
I just learned of POIS a few minutes ago.  I just googled nausea after orgasm and it came up in the search results.  The nausea is annoying, but what really freaks me out is that instantaneously after orgasm, I nearly burst into tears, and sometimes actually do!  It's just this overwhelming sense of sadness, and no explanation as to why I feel it!  Anyway, if I don't have orgasms every so often, I get this pent up sexual frustration, but on the other hand I hate having orgasms because of the way I feel afterward, and the fatigue!  I know men sleep after orgasm most the time, but I don't just want to sleep.  I want to hibernate!  I'll be full of energy and perfectly fine until after orgasm, then I am EXHAUSTED!  This is a very frustrating condition and it angers me that the medical profession dismisses it as guilt or repression.  Especially since I know that NOT to be true.  I have no guilt, and I am NOT repressed, yet this is still happening to me!  Now, I DO have OCD, and anxiety and depression are part of the OCD, so I wonder if it's linked to my OCD?  Does anyone else that experiences POIS have OCD or any other psychological conditions?

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: 29/12/2009 20:15:59 »

Alexia, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only study on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. David Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: 29/12/2009 20:17:38 »

Alexia, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: almost 3 years' worth of posts from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found on the Internet, but not on this forum.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: 29/12/2009 20:40:38 »
demo, that post about removing your testicles to lessen the effect of pois, that was pretty radical.  i guess you could just replace them with plastic nuts and knowone would know the difference.

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: 29/12/2009 20:49:59 »
i dont know if anyone else has this problem, but after O, big patches of tastbuds die off, my tounge looks splotchy, and it takes about a week or more to heal again. its hard to say if my imune system crashed and bacteria killed my tastebuds, or if the imune system ramped up and attacked and killed them.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: 29/12/2009 22:03:21 »

demo, that post about removing your testicles to lessen the effect of pois, that was pretty radical.  i guess you could just replace them with plastic nuts and knowone would know the difference.

Laurac, "pretty radical"? The understatement of the year! Words that come closer to it for me: "ultimate severity", "utter devastation", "most unearthly", "beyond belief", etc.

The main effect of his radical approach in my mind is how utterly desperate someone can become over POIS.

I lasted 30+ years with POIS. I think the way my brain coped with it was through massive denial. In between POIS episodes, I would think "nothing is really wrong with me, after all that's what the doctors say. And it won't happen again, I'll just..........er...............tie my shoelaces differently or something!!!"

And when that stopped working, I would push as hard and as fast "at the universe" to find a cure: spiritual, urological, telephoning Dr Waldinger, tracking down worldwide "experts" on CNN Larry King Live, pushing this POIS forum, proposing research to scholarly friends and Universities, and the most useful - finally - was to find, through the advice of this forum and research friends outside the forum, to visit a top endocrinologist who could do some solid endocrine testing on me.
I had no clue before this forum what the heck an endocrinologist even does for a living!!
« Last Edit: 30/12/2009 14:36:44 by demografx »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: 30/12/2009 04:07:04 »

Rare Illness Appears in US for First Time

Did that get your attention?

It did mine.

It was "front page" AOL News.

No, it wasn't about POIS, but...just wondering...it tells me that POIS does have a nice potential publicity basis to it. And if we can somehow get out there and DO IT, maybe we can get the world's help a little more easily than we are now?

Hellooooooo? Any advertising or publicity experts here??? :D

if you talking about that tuberculosis it needs to go back.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: 30/12/2009 04:12:46 »
I was going to say i dont get runner's high during pois, is this true for every one.   

I took test for cognition and all that exxtra stuff, without really debauching the test. And psychlogist said i was missing questions normal people wouldn't, and diagnosed add with learning disability.  i believe is more proof pois is real.

Offline THISFORUMROCKS!

• View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: 30/12/2009 09:16:26 »
I know for sure I have done very poorly on ADD and cognitive related tests while under pois influence. I don't recall the test names, but I took a bunch many years ago. It is hard to quantify without comparison tests, but my experience tells me that my cognitive speed is remarkably altered downward as a result of pois.

In any case, ADD characteristics/cognitive abnormalities that can be tested for in a written test seem to me like they could easily be a common thread for pois sufferers. This would certainly be a clear validation of pois existence for non-believers if more people can be tested. I will try to find out some names of such tests for a future post.

CCC: I was also diagnosed add with learning disability, basically slow thinking. I did well on the IQ test but very poorly on the cognitive speed/memorization speed tests- a very odd combination I think. Anyone ever hear of that before?
And, I think I do get a sort of runners high before pois burns me out usually.   
« Last Edit: 30/12/2009 09:32:28 by THISFORUMROCKS! »

Offline martin88

• View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: 30/12/2009 13:49:02 »
I was going to say i dont get runner's high during pois, is this true for every one.  
CC, I can't run for a very long time in POIS, so there's no high...

I agree with B_Jim for catecholamines test, maybe it's not reflecting what's happening elsewhere in the body. Has it been done in POIS?

For magnesium, even when my blood tests came normal I could feel a good effect from taking a supplement.
« Last Edit: 30/12/2009 14:27:30 by martin88 »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: 30/12/2009 14:58:23 »

if you talking about that tuberculosis it needs to go back.

??

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: 30/12/2009 18:31:41 »
Welcome Alexia.
--

CCC,I have missed your test. Your catecholimines seems ok dispite it's not really representative of levels in brain. At least mg seems good :)

I suppose you made cognition test during Pois episode. But do you ask him to remake the test out of Pois ? I would like to know the name of the test (add, cognitive test).
Thanks, good job.

I was thinking catechlomine and crp which bot came out normal will explain the intense fatigue and maybe lead to adrenal fatigue, but now am confused.  It definately dosent represent the brains chemical compostion, and there is also way more chemicals to test for the brain.

Would anybody ever decide to do spinal tap, that is the closest thing brain chemical in all test.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: 30/12/2009 18:39:30 »
On test.  I dont know name but i believe it is a general test for add discovering learning disabilities, because i asked is there any other test and she told me the other ones are for dementia. When i got in her office i told i want test for memory, cognition, concentration,. 
Like thisforumrocks i was also slow at some questions that normal people would have zoomed through.  My iq for word was high normal but iq for math was below normal but the two evened out to be average. But i have alwasys done better in math and science than english. Personal disgust for essays. I think iq would go up out pois, because some of the questions require extra processing that dosent happen during pois and also speed calculated into results.
I think because of Iq she thinks that the results are normal for me even if i dont have orgasm, I seriously beg to differ.
I am not going to test outside of pois, they cost to much and the test was four hours long.

What i remeber she asked me to do.

Math in head- couldn’t do the percents and some fractions in my head.

Meaning of words - easy

Memory of popular historical facts – easy old memory.

Math on paper – I let pois take over didn’t try to go over my answers and my mistakes were there.

Naming name of color and the color of letters – I was slow on this I kept wanting to say color.

Picking topic and then asking reasons for them.  Sometimes didn’t have answers. or only gave one answer when looking for two. example what is good about parole,( i mistaked it for bail at first)i could only come up with one answer.

Using tiles to draw pictures – couldn’t draw some.

Using story tiles to create  intended story. - easy
Chosee if something is missing withing group of symbols – let pois take over and made two mistakes, she said that does not happen

Call out numbers and tells me to repeat. Let pois take over and did the constantly thinking of things over over and and not really paying atterntion, she really saw there was something wrong.

Connecting numbers and alphalbets in order of numbers letter numbers in ascending order
But I kept doing letters to letters and numbers to numbers she said that does not usually happen.

She told me Spatial is bad.

Gives two words and tells me to say similarity. One I remember I couldn’t do was hibernation and immigration.
when she ask similar question right after i got it and then realized the answer for hibernation and immigration

I did pictures, like in Iq test.

Told me to her  give meaning of adages she gave me. 

Looked at pictures and told me to tell her what was missing.

there were more but that is all i remember
« Last Edit: 30/12/2009 18:52:58 by CCconfucius »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6449 on: 30/12/2009 18:39:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums