The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6459957 times)

Offline Itsmebutwho?

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6575 on: 18/01/2010 11:36:16 »
Do majority of people here only have problems post orgasm? What about in between?
I know that even if I hold off for weeks, my body and mood is just not right...
Well, that sounds like myself before. Weeks after weeks just depressed and so on. Things began to come better when i radically changed my eating habits and decreased ejaculation times.

Yeah, and i know that feeling, having pre-POIS or something (low mood, no much energy, not feeling horny, not so wanting orgasm, not relaxed, low self-confidence), if having then ejaculation it leads to more severe POIS symptoms. Sometimes i do this mistake bcause wanting so much feeling a bit better...but usually it just leads to worse condition.

Im not sure yet but i feel too that if im feeling really horny, confident and then having sex/masturbate really concentrated on what doing/the good feeling without thinking anything else than the great pleasure moment, i dont have so much POIS symptoms afterwards. I have a problem that my mind tends to travel around and my eyes looks around, not concentrating and enjoying so much, not relaxed, not letting happen it naturally. Ive tried to get rid of this annoying habit.

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: 18/01/2010 16:44:10 »
Welcome Itsmebutwho?.
You know, there are 50-60 old men starting to have Pois symptoms after intercourses. So, talking over-masturbation is not correct. Dispite a difference between masturbation and sexual intercourse is possible. And stopping ejaculation will never be a therapy. It's just avoiding symptoms. We want to return to a normal sexual life, not abstinence for life. Your symptoms are close to mine (especially underweight, myokymia...).
--
I think itchings and scratchings during Pois days might be a sign that endorphins are involved.

Very interesting article :

Endorphins and enkephalins are important opioid neurotransmitters in the CNS that mediate the sensation of itch. Although morphine alleviates pain, it aggravates itch, as itch and pain share common neurological pathways. The central elicitation of itch by morphine results from binding to opioid receptors and this binding may mimic normal physiological binding of endorphins and enkephakins at these receptor sites. Naloxone, an opioid antagonist, has been found to reduce histamine-provoked itch.

I think it might be the best explanation for immediate or early Pois symptoms.

--

Hazey, in the past I felt normal between good between cycles. Now, I'm sensible to stress.

I 100% agree - this 'over-masturbation' term is not correct at all, its total rubbish, because the majority of men can masturbate alot and never get POIS. It maybe a case of 'how' you do it rather than how much.
A full recovery is possible despite how much masturbating you have done in the past, its a case 'unwinding' some the tightness that has been accumulated over a life time of stress.

I also agree with the 'itch' analysis.
When I was recovering from POIS I noticed one of my testicles felt 'tickly', like I just wanted to scratch it,
but the itch was too internal and out of reach,
the although the tickle sensation felt good it would alternate between
'fearful' feelings, like I was about to feel pain, which would cause me to lock my hip muscles, in case I felt a zap of pain.
Over time I learnt how to relax and stay released through these feelings getting rid of the 'tickle' and POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: 18/01/2010 21:24:51 »

[Mine] is purely a concern for other peoples well-being, because i've gone through it
and know how depressing this problem can be.

Welcome again to the forum!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: 18/01/2010 21:30:50 »

Itsmebutwho?, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: 18/01/2010 21:32:06 »

Itsmebutwho?, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: almost 3 years' worth of posts (nearly 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: 18/01/2010 22:19:35 »
B_Jim, maybe the article you posted explains my extremely unusual fingertips' sensations during POIS? (It was very difficult reading for me, highly technical).

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: 19/01/2010 00:17:20 »
I think it's important to remember a past conversation that's barried in our thread. I experience POIS-like symptoms during specific non-sexual activties (not just orgasm). 

These simple activities include:

- swallowing
- a hard workout
- eating carbs

The duration and intesity of symptoms resulting in these activies are shorter and less dramatic.

Can anyone add other activities to this list?

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: 19/01/2010 01:01:31 »
Welcome Itsmebutwho?.
You know, there are 50-60 old men starting to have Pois symptoms after intercourses. So, talking over-masturbation is not correct. Dispite a difference between masturbation and sexual intercourse is possible. And stopping ejaculation will never be a therapy. It's just avoiding symptoms. We want to return to a normal sexual life, not abstinence for life. Your symptoms are close to mine (especially underweight, myokymia...).
--
I think itchings and scratchings during Pois days might be a sign that endorphins are involved.

Very interesting article :

Endorphins and enkephalins are important opioid neurotransmitters in the CNS that mediate the sensation of itch. Although morphine alleviates pain, it aggravates itch, as itch and pain share common neurological pathways. The central elicitation of itch by morphine results from binding to opioid receptors and this binding may mimic normal physiological binding of endorphins and enkephakins at these receptor sites. Naloxone, an opioid antagonist, has been found to reduce histamine-provoked itch.

I think it might be the best explanation for immediate or early Pois symptoms.

--

Hazey, in the past I felt normal between good between cycles. Now, I'm sensible to stress.

I 100% agree - this 'over-masturbation' term is not correct at all, its total rubbish, because the majority of men can masturbate alot and never get POIS. It maybe a case of 'how' you do it rather than how much.
A full recovery is possible despite how much masturbating you have done in the past, its a case 'unwinding' some the tightness that has been accumulated over a life time of stress.

I also agree with the 'itch' analysis.
When I was recovering from POIS I noticed one of my testicles felt 'tickly', like I just wanted to scratch it,
but the itch was too internal and out of reach,
the although the tickle sensation felt good it would alternate between
'fearful' feelings, like I was about to feel pain, which would cause me to lock my hip muscles, in case I felt a zap of pain.
Over time I learnt how to relax and stay released through these feelings getting rid of the 'tickle' and POIS.

Well, it could just be how our bodies have adjusted to this type of stimulation over the years, I know my pois came to me over the period of my coffee drinking.  I think it is basically an adrenal problem, too much being released.  My POIS is always a panic attack, anxiety/headache, that lasts for about 36 hours, than goes away.  this can be just a really bad health problem that can be fixed.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: 19/01/2010 21:55:12 »

B_Jim, maybe the article you posted explains my extremely unusual fingertips' sensations during POIS? (It was very difficult reading for me, highly technical).

Yes, it's possible. Do you think testosterone or stimulant improve this symptom ?

B_Jim, yes, the testosterone/stimulant combination reduces the fingertips' symptom enormously. Sometimes it doesn't even appear. I am very lucky.
« Last Edit: 19/01/2010 21:57:38 by demografx »

Offline ad75

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: 19/01/2010 22:48:00 »
Hi Guys. I just stumbled upon this forum on Saturday, in the throes of 2nd day POIS. So glad I found the forum and that the debilitating problems I have been suffering for many years actually have a name. Sorry, in advance, for the long post! [:I]

I am 34 years old and live in the UK. My POIS symptoms have varied over the years, changing as I self medicated. Baffled by the enormous changes my body seemed to go through in a very short space of time (due to what I now know to be POIS), I thought I had depression (I was certainly anxious!) I started to take Calcium with Vitamin D supplements because they helped the headaches, dizziness, foggy headedness and fatigue I used to get in the mornings sometimes. Then I started to take Magnesium, because I read that it helps the absorption of Calcium. I also took Zinc supplements, then Zinc/Copper supplements because I found out that taking too much Zinc alone can cause malabsorption of Copper.

All of this got me through the ages of about 26 to 33 when, although I felt like death most of the time and had extremely bad insomnia, I just about got by. Then, at 33, I had to give up the Calcium because it was causing terrible, and I do mean terrible, constipation and impaction. The Copper was terrible for this too.

When I stopped the supplements around July 09 and tried to face my symptoms head on, then the full fury of POIS hit me for the first time. Symptoms which had previously been somewhat muted just hit me head on and wrecked my life. How bad did it get? Well, after being made redundant in May 09, I got another job in September 09. I really needed the job badly, but I just couldn't cope at all, and resigned within a week. First time that has ever happened to me.

My symptoms? Terrible brain fog, poor memory, agoraphobia, high BP that my GP just can't fathom, night visits to A&E with panic induced by sky high BP of up to 170/110, severe fatigue, intense warmth at night (so bad that my girlfriend will sleep on the couch because I just can't bear her body heat), followed by coldness and cold extremities, enormous thirst on days 3-5, loose bowels on day 2 and SEVERE cutting headache at the back of my head accompanied by stomach churning vertigo, darkness under my eyes, short attention span. And, unsurprisingly, depression (although I have avoided being classified as a depressive by my doctor). I have also had a flaky scalp since childhood and started to go bald at about 24. I have always been very skinny with a fast metabolism, but since turning thirty, I have gained a few stone - up from about 9.5 to 11 (60kg to 70kg, both in the normal BMI range).

I had registered a vague correlation with orgasm (I am a compulsive masturbator and have been since about 12) but the fact that there was always a delay before the onset meant that I did not frame a firm correlation between the two. I had twigged that the cause of my frequent crashes was perhaps adrenal burnout, but it was only when I started to investigate this further that I found this forum.

Reading through the forum posts has been the weirdest thing ever. Your collective descriptions of POIS are as much a part of me as breathing and it was pretty sobering to realise that all of these symptoms that I thought must be unique to me are actually quite widespread. My heart goes out to all the older guys who have been suffering this for thirty years or more. I feel extremely lucky that I have discovered the true cause of this problem relatively early on, so I can make changes now and, hopefully, minimise the disruption to my life. At this point in time, masturbation and sex are my worst enemies - full stop.

Anyway, I don't just want to moan, but I'd like to contribute if I can.

(a)I have read the following about the effects of compulsive masturbation: "If you have a good blood circulation, excessive neurohormones Norepinephrine and Epinephrine can be dispersed out of the local tissues, then metabolized by the liver and expelled by the kidneys to the bladder". This made me think about a mystery from a few years back. I got stressed out in my 2nd year 1st semester final exams and, forget about common or garden insomnia, I just plain couldn't sleep. I was masturbating a HUGE amount, five or six times a night, every night, to try and chill myself out enough to sleep. My doctor prescribed 7.5mg of Zopiclone, a sleeping pill in the hypnotic category. However, one contraindication for this med is that dosage should be 3.75mg for individuals suffering from hepatic insufficiency (which countless blood tests have shown that I do not have). Anyway, three nights of Zopiclone almost killed me. I got all the side effects so severely, I had to drop out of university for a year and was put under six months cardiac investigation by my doctor. The side effects were (and I got them all in spades): amnesia or memory impairment, euphoria, nightmares, agitation, hostility, decreased libido, coordination abnormality, tremor, muscle spasms, speech disorder, SEVERE heart palpitations, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, anorexia or increased appetite.

Could my liver have been so tied up trying to dispose of the excess neurohormones that it could not properly excrete the Zopiclone, leading to a toxic build up of the drug? To this day, my doctor has no explanation for my extreme reaction to the med, and second opinions I have got suggests that it is an extremely safe drug normally, with a very low incidence of side effects.

(b) For me, POIS starts with brain fog and poor memory on day one, adds the cutting headache, loose bowels and vertigo on day two, adds intense warmth on night two and adds coldness from day three. As far as I can ascertain, this is my body looking at the excess of neurohormones and saying "Right, well what should I do with that lot?". Then from day three onwards, my temperature is up and down, I get the ridiculous thirst (I have tested negative for diabetes BTW, three times), I can feel my kidneys shrink and then glug as they gorge themselves on a litre of water in an hour (I am careful not to go above this) and my digestive system slows down. In this period my body is just all over the place, and it is virtually impossible for me to work out my water needs accurately. My guess is that, at this point, my body has decided to work my liver at 110% to get rid of the excess hormones. Does anyone else experience it this way?

Anyway, some day we'll all beat this, I hope. Now I am going to try some of the herbal remedies which have worked for some of you: Vitex, Omega 3 DHA/EPA, Spirulina, Gingko Biloba, L-Tyrosine and Relora. (By the way, I'm not going to try them all at the same time, don't worry! I will start with the Omega 3 and see, bit by bit, what helps).

Warmest regards,

A

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: 20/01/2010 19:49:02 »
demo, i see a pattern of 1st posts from new forum members.  they usually contain quite a bit of background info and a good description of pois.  maybe we should be presenting doctors with a collection of these posts, i think they portray the essence of this disease.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: 20/01/2010 23:42:22 »

ad75, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: 20/01/2010 23:44:19 »

ad75, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: almost 3 years' worth of posts (nearly 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: 20/01/2010 23:51:31 »

demo, i see a pattern of 1st posts from new forum members.  they usually contain quite a bit of background info and a good description of pois.  maybe we should be presenting doctors with a collection of these posts, i think they portray the essence of this disease.

Laurac, excellent idea. But we first need to find a cooperating doctor(s) who is/are willing to study POIS. That remains our most challenging problem at this time. We have had discussions and sent letters out to quite a few research physicians, and yet have not seen the next step materialize. Part of the problem is that we need some more significant funding.

So far, members of this forum have pledged approximately $4,500 towards that goal.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: 21/01/2010 09:04:06 »
Here is something I have not seen discussed.... ORAL health, mine is very bad for many years.... and I always wonder if that might be part of this whole thing?

No teeth cleaning for 20+ yrs! I have bad breathe, and my mouth is always pasty....

Thoughts?

PS.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: 21/01/2010 17:33:51 »

I think Pois is linked to low endorphin levels.)
Wiki give some remedies : borage oil, bacon (=>Thisforumrocks !!) ...
(bacon, cheese,egg sandwich ; cysteine amino acid )
(oxygen!!! => Demo/Thisforumrocks !!)
Benzodiazepines , B6 ... !!!!
I will have a look later.
Anyway I don't find the link with testosterone.

Well the bacon,egg,cheese will keep McDonalds in busniess :-)

My Bezos do help, without them I would have not survived! They are not the cure, and I only take 1mg ATIVAN when absolutely required.... Been doing the B3,B6,B12 thing and do not see much progress with that.

PS.

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: 21/01/2010 17:41:58 »
Hi Guys I have been very busy and not online for a while.

But I have NOT been busy with sex! I am actually trying an experiment. I have completely stopped having sex for 2 months now. No "NE" no "O". Nada. My wife is in a phase of her menopause where she could not care less about sex anyway. She would not say no if I wanted to make love but she would not initiate it at this time. So I thought this is a good timing to see what happens if I have no sex. We snuggle and cuddle but no sex.

I now realize that I have been in a semi-POIS state for a long time. Even if I get better after 6 to 8 days following an orgasm my mind is not as clear as it should be. After 2 months of complete abstinence I am astonished to see how clear my mind has become. I am creative again, inventive and perceptive. It keeps getting better too. I feel I am slowly recovering from a massive burnout. It will be interesting to see if my "recovery" holds when I start having sex again. For for now, I may choose to go without it for as long as I feel my health is improving. Even for a whole year if necessary.

I realize not everyone wants to try this but it feels really good to be myself again. Mostly it shows me how far I had gone. It is making the whole POIS problem even more important. We really do lose a lot in life with this problem. In relationships, at work, with health, with missed opportunities of all kinds. And less enjoyment of life in general.  This is a serious issue and it deserves much more attention.

PS: I find it easy to avoid NEs simply by decreasing the amount of calories ingested everyday. No excess calories - no NEs. At least for me.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: 21/01/2010 18:00:01 »
PS: I find it easy to avoid NEs simply by decreasing the amount of calories ingested everyday. No excess calories - no NEs. At least for me.

when somebody else suggested that before and looked into it, i think that might be true less calories equals less NE.  I will start working on that since NE is my worst enemy nd i need to loose weight anyways.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: 21/01/2010 18:01:21 »
Here is something I have not seen discussed.... ORAL health, mine is very bad for many years.... and I always wonder if that might be part of this whole thing?

No teeth cleaning for 20+ yrs! I have bad breathe, and my mouth is always pasty....

Thoughts?

PS.

I have always been keen on making sure mouth stays fresh.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: 21/01/2010 18:06:04 »
Bjim; is there away to test endorphins in body and brain without using a crazy method.

Offline Porke

• View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: 21/01/2010 18:31:23 »
Hi Guys I have been very busy and not online for a while.

But I have NOT been busy with sex! I am actually trying an experiment. I have completely stopped having sex for 2 months now.

Damn Pablo. 2 Months is unreal. I cant make it past a week, a two at MOST.

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: 22/01/2010 16:52:37 »
Demo, you mentioned that following your heart surgery you felt even better than you did before regarding the absence of POIS symptoms, so I have some questions for you if you don't mind -

1) Were you at any time given an IV bag of magnesium sulfate or chloride before, during or after your surgery?
2) Were you put on antibiotics at any time? If so, could you tell me what kind, and if you're still on them?
3) Could you give me the general area of the United States you live in? Even the name of a State would be good.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: 22/01/2010 19:35:44 »
Mr. C., I'm sorry if this is disappointing, but there were so many medications and IV's, constant tests, and various trials with meds, plus the normal post-surgical brain fog, that I can't really be definitive about any of it. I also went through an angiogram at a different hospital, and also had complications after surgery, where electric shock was used to bring me from atrial fibrillation to defibrillation, involving a whole different regimen. Very complicated.

At this time, I'm just thankful to be alive and on the mend. My wife is handling the post-surgical meds for me.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: 23/01/2010 18:24:17 »
Anyone ever hear a song and wonder if it was written about POIS? Take a listen to Crowded House's song Weather With You, I find it fits perfectly...everywhere you go you take the weather (your mental state) with you.

"Well, it's the same room but everything's different"... Day One perhaps?,

"you can fight the sleep but not the dream"... and the accompanying NE?

I know there is as many meanings as there are listeners but for me this song registers.

Another one is Dirty Vegas' 7AM, which can be read in the sense of masturbation.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: 24/01/2010 16:52:32 »
I know some people have reported an improvement in their symptoms when they cut out carbs. The last couple of weeks I have done this. My typical diet has for a long time included whole wheat bread at all meals other than supper, but for this trial I am replacing it with salads or veggies (plus some protein and nuts) and keeping sugars down to a minimun. In my non-post sexual state I have been feeling better, brighter, as if the carbs were weighing me down somehow, although I didn't realize it. I thought I was doing well by eating the proper type of bread, but I seem to be better off without it. I have had my blood sugar level checked thoroughly and it is good, so my improvement suprises me. I am wondering if maybe my brain is more sensitive to changes in blood sugar, even though the blood sugar is in the normal range. Look here, a claim that whole wheat bread has "essentially the same impact on blood sugar" compared to white bread.

Another possibility is that I am sensitive to exorphins that are released in the brain from wheat gluten. Milk casein can apparently also release these exorphins that stimulate the brain's opiate receptors. About ten years ago I gave up milk products because it seemed to alleviate my POIS symptoms, altough they did return but not as severely. Could these "opioid peptides" disrupt the brain such that when natural endorphins are released in sex, they are released excessively?  Could the varied symptoms of POIS be caused by these elevated endorphin levels?

Question: do any of you not yawn very often? I don't, and here it is said that this can be related to endorphin levels.
B. THE CHEMICAL COCKTAIL
Dr. George A. Bubenik, M.D., of the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada:
Yawns seem to be caused by the same chemical compounds (neurotransmitters) in the brain that effect emotions, mood, appetite and more - serotonin, dopamine, glutamic acid and nitric oxide. The more of these compounds activated in the brain, the greater the frequency of yawns. Conversely, a greater presence in the brain of opiate neurotransmitters such as endorphins, the less the frequency of yawns.

« Last Edit: 24/01/2010 17:14:15 by John21 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6599 on: 24/01/2010 16:52:32 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums