The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6453303 times)

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6600 on: 24/01/2010 22:56:25 »
Has this group ever discussed the original incident of their POIS?

Like, did anyone's POIS here follow a specific event, like illness or stress, and then take off from there?

Offline Itsmebutwho?

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: 24/01/2010 23:14:17 »
I have thought about my bloodsugar too. I have felt it goes quite fast up and down, and i have a feel after orgasm that i want something sweet, sometimes a lot, and might continue till i feel better. And when i feel better after few days, then i dont have much anymore sugar-need feeling. Dunno has it something to do or not. Also my blood pressure feels unstable.

I also yawn quite a lot day after orgasm, bcause i feel tired, and it continues till i start to feel better condition is coming.

My mouth health is not so good. Some caries i suppose, and one amalgam filling at least.

I feel i have had POIS since i began to masturbate as 13-year old, not any incidents... Did i start to masturbate too early? I had no any wet dreams bfore i began...  :-X
« Last Edit: 24/01/2010 23:45:03 by Itsmebutwho? »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: 25/01/2010 05:28:45 »
Here is something I have not seen discussed.... ORAL health, mine is very bad for many years.... and I always wonder if that might be part of this whole thing?

No teeth cleaning for 20+ yrs! I have bad breathe, and my mouth is always pasty....

Thoughts?

PS.

LOL, no teeth cleaning for 20 + years? Yeah I wonder if that has something to do with it too, so I've been never missing a brush because I always wake up with my mouth tasting literally like crap.  Just has to do with overall health, and i've noticed that I do have a worse smelling mouth when I do "O".  but my oral health has been getting better i suggest you brush twice a day.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: 25/01/2010 05:32:53 »
I yawn during POIS,  typically the first day for me is bad feelings in my head, like i just want to lay down and do nothing, this feeling gets better as i sleep... tho sometimes sleeping doesn't affect my mood at all,  I wake up with "fog" in my head usually during the first 3 days.  The second day I get a pretty bad headache, better mood. Third day it is pretty much just the fog and than it is over.  I hate POIS.

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: 25/01/2010 06:55:55 »
Hi Guys I have been very busy and not online for a while.

But I have NOT been busy with sex! I am actually trying an experiment. I have completely stopped having sex for 2 months now. No "NE" no "O". Nada. My wife is in a phase of her menopause where she could not care less about sex anyway. She would not say no if I wanted to make love but she would not initiate it at this time. So I thought this is a good timing to see what happens if I have no sex. We snuggle and cuddle but no sex.

I now realize that I have been in a semi-POIS state for a long time. Even if I get better after 6 to 8 days following an orgasm my mind is not as clear as it should be. After 2 months of complete abstinence I am astonished to see how clear my mind has become. I am creative again, inventive and perceptive. It keeps getting better too. I feel I am slowly recovering from a massive burnout. It will be interesting to see if my "recovery" holds when I start having sex again. For for now, I may choose to go without it for as long as I feel my health is improving. Even for a whole year if necessary.

I realize not everyone wants to try this but it feels really good to be myself again. Mostly it shows me how far I had gone. It is making the whole POIS problem even more important. We really do lose a lot in life with this problem. In relationships, at work, with health, with missed opportunities of all kinds. And less enjoyment of life in general.  This is a serious issue and it deserves much more attention.

PS: I find it easy to avoid NEs simply by decreasing the amount of calories ingested everyday. No excess calories - no NEs. At least for me.

Hey Pablo, I went over 6 months with zero "O". Beat that!
I felt amazing, normal, functional, creative, energetic, all that good stuff. My first orgasm after that did not give me POIS. However, subsequent orgasms did increasingly give me POIS.

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: 25/01/2010 06:56:57 »

Like, did anyone's POIS here follow a specific event, like illness or stress, and then take off from there?
Actually yes, it started during a very stressful, traumatic period in my life.

Offline RhythmSpring

• View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: 25/01/2010 06:58:43 »
Out of curiosity, what's everyone's blood type?

Offline Porke

• View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: 25/01/2010 15:48:23 »
A+ as far as i remember.

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: 25/01/2010 17:08:34 »
O-

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: 25/01/2010 17:57:57 »

Actually yes, it started during a very stressful, traumatic period in my life.

i managed to figure out the main problem stemmed from the 'fear of pain' left from a childhood operation (undescended testicle lowered). I had to learn over come this.

I've attached some amazing old posts by Bizzy which I think are great and talk about the 'sticking receptors' from the testicle to the brain. It is possible to change how these receptors work.

Hi fellow POIS sufferers

Would you all post on whether you were victims of childhood abuse or trauma. I want to explore the possibility that childhood trauma maybe resposible for an adverse reaction to orgasm in later life.

( I will post about my 25 years of POIS sometime later )

I was physically abused (not sexual) as a child all the way into my teens. I thought that this may have been responsible for my depression and POIS.

Over the years I have formed the opinion that this prolonged affect is caused by 'sticking receptors' within the hypothalamus. When one has an orgasm there are hormonal and neuro-chemical changes within the hypothalamus. For example prolactin goes up and dopamine goes down. These changes in a specific area of the brain are probably responsibe for the post orgasmic fatigue in normal men. In POIS the brain chemistry of the hypothalamus fails to recover as it should. The person continues to feel fatigued and eventually starts to suffer from severe depression.
This is a condition that is not even recognized or known by the medical community. Research needs to be done to acknowledge its existance and cause. A protein that helps maintain receptor function within the hypothalamus maybe responsible for this illness.

In my mind theres little doubt that the POIS problem originates at the hypothalamus. A medication that helps better regulate the hypothalamus may provide excellent treatment.
What I have written here needs more research.

After full ejaculation or orgasm a signal is sent from the testicles to the hypothalamus for the release of GnRH. The GnRH hormone travels from the hypothalamus to the pituitary and stimulates gonadotropin release. Gonadotropins travel to the testicles and stimulate testosterone production. This system is known as the HPG axis ( hypothalmic-pituitary-gonadal axis ).
Maybe in POIS, after ejaculation, rather than the HPG axis, the HPA axis gets activated. The HPA axis ( hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal axis ) is responsible for releasing stress hormones including cortisol. This would mean that the end result after ejaculation would be more stress rather than more testosterone.

Research needs to be done as to why this axis crossover occurs.
Do you see how the adrenals are downstream from the true source of the problem, which is the hypothalamus ?

« Last Edit: 25/01/2010 19:12:37 by daveyboy »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: 25/01/2010 20:35:19 »
Hi Guys I have been very busy and not online for a while.

But I have NOT been busy with sex! I am actually trying an experiment. I have completely stopped having sex for 2 months now. No "NE" no "O". Nada. My wife is in a phase of her menopause where she could not care less about sex anyway. She would not say no if I wanted to make love but she would not initiate it at this time. So I thought this is a good timing to see what happens if I have no sex. We snuggle and cuddle but no sex.

I now realize that I have been in a semi-POIS state for a long time. Even if I get better after 6 to 8 days following an orgasm my mind is not as clear as it should be. After 2 months of complete abstinence I am astonished to see how clear my mind has become. I am creative again, inventive and perceptive. It keeps getting better too. I feel I am slowly recovering from a massive burnout. It will be interesting to see if my "recovery" holds when I start having sex again. For for now, I may choose to go without it for as long as I feel my health is improving. Even for a whole year if necessary.

I realize not everyone wants to try this but it feels really good to be myself again. Mostly it shows me how far I had gone. It is making the whole POIS problem even more important. We really do lose a lot in life with this problem. In relationships, at work, with health, with missed opportunities of all kinds. And less enjoyment of life in general.  This is a serious issue and it deserves much more attention.

PS: I find it easy to avoid NEs simply by decreasing the amount of calories ingested everyday. No excess calories - no NEs. At least for me.

Hey Pablo, I went over 6 months with zero "O". Beat that!
I felt amazing, normal, functional, creative, energetic, all that good stuff. My first orgasm after that did not give me POIS. However, subsequent orgasms did increasingly give me POIS.

I'm jealous.  After a week I can hardly function.
« Last Edit: 25/01/2010 20:37:20 by Counterpoints »

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: 25/01/2010 20:35:58 »
Great posts by Bizzy.  I hope he returns.

Offline Itsmebutwho?

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: 25/01/2010 22:04:32 »
I was 6 months without ejaculation too few years ago, and i agree, it felt great, althought it was difficult avoid masturbation bcause on evening time when body relaxed i felt enermous need of ejaculation. Especially first 1-2 months were great (and also great need of sex...), then i got sometimes some low moments (and need of sex decreased a bit) but average level of condition was lot better than if ejaculated quite often.

But im just wondering... that ive read quite many times that men should have 1 ejaculation per week at least because of some kind of testosterone negative feedback. And men also should use their penis enough that it (and prostate) stays healthy....And i agree, that if i have the 1 time per week ejaculation, i feel then still usually good day after orgasm and rest of the days are usually great.... But if i have 1 time per week ejaculation then i want more bcause i feel so great need of sex  ::) I want more ejaculations than just 1 time per week  [:I]

Btw, do you guys eat meat? I dont eat meat usually much but ive tried to increase the amount i eat it. And many times if i eat meat maybe 100g at least, i start to feel great. I ejaculated 2 times on saturday evening, on sunday i felt a bit POIS/unstable but today after i ate some meat i feel great in my body, i feel warm (great feeling), need of sex, im able to think, my mood is great, i feel energetic, im able to concentrate and so on. :)

My bloodtype is O something i think.
« Last Edit: 25/01/2010 22:06:16 by Itsmebutwho? »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: 26/01/2010 04:36:41 »
I have a few questions:

1) I've asked this before but I think I got limited responses so I'm going to re-word it differently:  Does anybody here NOT have acne?

2) When do you normally sleep and wake up? Do you dream?

3) Do you drink any stimulants?

4) Where do you feel POIS? I know some people cannot focus the pain, but for me it seems to be localized in the back of my head

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: 26/01/2010 04:41:44 »
Another awkward statement:

I'm actually contemplating, I really want this to get over with, I'm just thinking about going to the hospital, telling them to do brain surgery on me, and just get a swab of the "whatever" it is in the back of my head, and rule out any weird disease.  Isn't there some procedure where they can do that??  Otherwise we can generally narrow it down to hormones and neurotransmitters.  I remember the day I got POIS and it literally felt that something went into my head suddenly, or some sudden shift or neurotransmitters etc.. anybody else experience a sudden first-time POIS?

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6615 on: 26/01/2010 10:08:08 »
GC,
1 I don't have acne.
2 I typically get 8 broken hours of sleep every night. I do normally dream.
3 I don't take stimulants.
4 I don't feel POIS in any specific location, I can't imagine being able to do so.
« Last Edit: 26/01/2010 21:12:12 by John21 »

Offline Itsmebutwho?

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: 26/01/2010 12:23:16 »
1) The more i ejaculate the more i have acne. If i stop to ejaculate my acne goes away

2) The more i ejaculate the more my sleeping cycle goes upside down. Mostly bcause i feel so bad that i can sleep only when im feeling dead tired (usually something 04-07am, and waking up on noon or later).  However also my sleeping quality is bad if i ejaculate a lot, i cant sleep deep dream. I do see som dreams but bcause of the condition dreams are some kind of nightmares and i keep waking up after every 1-2 hours.

3) I dont drink much stimulants, hot chocolate i drink everyday, and very rarely some cola. Nothing else.

4) I have no localized POIS place in my body. It is all over my body.

Offline POIS-SUFFERER

• View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: 26/01/2010 18:58:25 »
Here is something I have not seen discussed.... ORAL health, mine is very bad for many years.... and I always wonder if that might be part of this whole thing?

No teeth cleaning for 20+ yrs! I have bad breathe, and my mouth is always pasty....

Thoughts?

PS.

LOL, no teeth cleaning for 20 + years? Yeah I wonder if that has something to do with it too, so I've been never missing a brush because I always wake up with my mouth tasting literally like crap.  Just has to do with overall health, and i've noticed that I do have a worse smelling mouth when I do "O".  but my oral health has been getting better i suggest you brush twice a day.

Yeah its not that I do not brush! :-) I brush at least 2 times a day, just no dentist cleanings.... I always wonder if its the bacteria or something other causing issues...

PS.

Offline Counterpoints

• View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: 26/01/2010 23:37:50 »

I'm actually contemplating, I really want this to get over with, I'm just thinking about going to the hospital, telling them to do brain surgery on me, and just get a swab of the "whatever" it is in the back of my head, and rule out any weird disease.  Isn't there some procedure where they can do that??  Otherwise we can generally narrow it down to hormones and neurotransmitters.  I remember the day I got POIS and it literally felt that something went into my head suddenly, or some sudden shift or neurotransmitters etc.. anybody else experience a sudden first-time POIS?

Telling them to do brain surgery on you?  I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I don't see how this would work, or how it would help you.

Offline ophicus1213

• View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: 26/01/2010 23:57:44 »
Going crazy.  I still remember how it felt the first time I experienced Pois, and I completly agree with you. So some new experimentation for me.  I am currently taking mucana puriens with rhodilia rosea, theanine with gaba supplements, and a magnesium, calcium, zinc supplement.  The addition of mucana to my cocktail yielded positive results for me.  Pois recovery time was shortened.  Prostate problems are still present.  If i don't e every so many days pain becomes worse.  I am thinking about trying a saw palmetto tinture, to hopefully reduce symptoms.

Offline hazey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: 27/01/2010 02:31:14 »
I have an appointment with a supposedly very good Dr who specializes in Thyroid/Adrenal, hormones and anti-aging. I want to get the below tests done prior to my consultation.

Can anyone think of anything else I should be getting tested and when would be best to have the collection done. Day 1, Day 2 after O

Thanks.

Blood Test
===========
Total+Free/Bio Testosterone
LH+FSH
Estradiol(E2)
SHBG
Prolactin
DHEA
Costisol
IGF-1
Progetesterone
Dht,
TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3
Magnesium

Saliva Test
===========
Cortisol (Morning, noon, evening, night)
Estriol, Estradiol, Eestrone,
Progesterone
Testosterone
DHEA

Neurotransmitter Test
=====================
Serotonin
Acetylcholine
Dopamine
GABA
Histamine

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: 27/01/2010 04:52:45 »

Thoughts?

PS.

Yeah its not that I do not brush! :-) I brush at least 2 times a day, just no dentist cleanings.... I always wonder if its the bacteria or something other causing issues...

PS.
Lol thanks for that clarification.  I know what you mean though, oral bacteria.  I wake up and clean out my mouth in the morning, every morning, by spitting and gargling.  Yet I too wonder if it has anything to do with it.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: 27/01/2010 04:57:22 »

Telling them to do brain surgery on you?  I'm not sure what you're talking about, but I don't see how this would work, or how it would help you.
Like some procedure I saw on House where they opened a guys skull and swabbed it with a cuetip to check for infection, etc.  I'm pretty sure MRI's cannot find evidence of bacterial/viral infestation, so that is why I really want to make sure it's nothing I can take a pill to cure.  And I guess the only way to do it would be that procedure.  I know it sounds weird but I mean I just want to get over this whole thing and I am willing to do anything.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: 27/01/2010 06:46:41 »

I can't imagine a brain surgeon doing surgery without definitive recognized illness, e.g., brain cancer, tumor, etc.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: 27/01/2010 06:53:18 »

Hazey, my endocrinologist (one opinion, but from a well respected endo) believes blood, not saliva, is the only reliable measure, and that neurotransmitter testing is not yet reliable.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6624 on: 27/01/2010 06:53:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums