The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6436856 times)

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6625 on: 27/01/2010 17:07:05 »
Goingcrazy - have you been tested for Lyme disease?

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: 28/01/2010 01:11:17 »
Goingcrazy - have you been tested for Lyme disease?

Yes, I was tested once a few years ago, I'm pretty sure at the time I was experiencing POIS symptoms, but not 100% sure.  I would like to be tested again.

I can't imagine a brain surgeon doing surgery without definitive recognized illness, e.g., brain cancer, tumor, etc.

Haha yes he would probably be asking himself questions like what do I do next.

Has anybody had a CT scan to check for adrenal tumors, etc.?

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: 28/01/2010 02:42:56 »
goingcrazy,
im sure you have been posting all your progress along the way but can you sum up all the responses/views you have had from GPs and list all the therapies you have tried,
cheers
« Last Edit: 28/01/2010 02:46:58 by daveyboy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: 28/01/2010 04:47:03 »
goingcrazy,
im sure you have been posting all your progress along the way but can you sum up all the responses/views you have had from GPs and list all the therapies you have tried,
cheers

Yes.  The story of my POIS............

I was sitting on my chair watching T.V. one day when I felt something "enter my head" or a sudden shift of chemistry.  I felt immediately tired and light headed, and angry for no reason.  I believe this shift was caused by the stress coffee had on my body... Ever since than I got off the coffee, slowly gaining energy along the way, but still "O'ing". 
       I went to the doctor and he immediately prescribed an antidepressant which I took one pill of and than tossed it away.
       Than one day about 2 years ago I finally noticed that these symptoms were no other than caused by orgasm.  I stopped "O'ing" everyday and I noticed that it made me feel a lot more like myself.  The first thing I really tried was probiotics ( I thought it was "candida" ,maybe some growth in my head? sounds crazy). 
I noticed that eating sugar and bread tremendously made me feel angry and tired, just bad.  I stopped eating most of that.  While trying probiotics, I was also trying relora.  It felt good but it also made me feel a bit too relaxed.  I haven't used relora in a while, but it was a good experience, overall beneficial.  I was taking garlic for "anti-candida" measures.  I also ordered Threelac and tried that for candida (if it was candida).  That did nothing at all.  I remember trying cranberry juice and thought that was a miracle cure.  But like demo or someone else said I think it is just the amount of sugar that is in it.
      Quite recently I went to get an MRI.  Immediately one of the things I noticed that while in the MRI machine I had instant blurry vision, it was a very weird experience.  They did a regular MRI and a circle of willis scan.  Everything came out fine.
      Right now I am just eating healthy, trying to go to bed and wake up at a normal time and for 8-9 hours, no oversleeping.  I'm also trying to be celibate which helps me a lot.  My last episode was last saturday which lasted for 2-3 days.

Hope thats all of it

Offline Mr_Canadian

• View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: 28/01/2010 15:14:22 »
Goingcrazy - what sort of Lyme test did you have if you don't mind me asking?

What type of garlic did you take, and did it have any effect?

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6630 on: 28/01/2010 18:55:17 »
I have an appointment with a supposedly very good Dr who specializes in Thyroid/Adrenal, hormones and anti-aging. I want to get the below tests done prior to my consultation.

Can anyone think of anything else I should be getting tested and when would be best to have the collection done. Day 1, Day 2 after O

Thanks.

Blood Test
===========
Total+Free/Bio Testosterone
LH+FSH
Estradiol(E2)
SHBG
Prolactin
DHEA
Costisol
IGF-1
Progetesterone
Dht,
TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3
Magnesium

Saliva Test
===========
Cortisol (Morning, noon, evening, night)
Estriol, Estradiol, Eestrone,
Progesterone
Testosterone
DHEA

Neurotransmitter Test
=====================
Serotonin
Acetylcholine
Dopamine
GABA
Histamine

looks comprehensive, i have done adrenanline and crp with no good news and lots you are doing. you can try them if you think it might be important. If it is possible to test endorphins i will check that to because of bjims theory and it is one thing we know is released during orgasm.     

On when to test. 

I will test when you feel the worst between three days after pois. 
Do you feel hyper on day one of pois? if you do i will wait to second or third day.

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: 28/01/2010 19:50:17 »
Goingcrazy,
Presumably then, by giving you antidepressants, the GP believes the problem is a psychological one, especially since nothing was shown on any MRI?

If I were you I'd
a) go back to a GP with that list above in CCconfucious/Hazey post.
Talk about your situation with the doctor (how desperate you are) and ask to be tested for all of thoses listed.

b) Go to a nutritionist to really knuckle down and fine tune your diet because as you say it is effecting your health. A nutritionist will know far more than you think.

c) start physically improving your body by finding a psycho/physical therapy that suits you.

Because my POIS was caused by a traumatic distance childhood memory (this came to light after my muscles/posture started to be opened up/corrected), your previous post regarding the brain surgery for some reason made me think of that Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet movie 'Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind', where they had a precedure to zap memories from the mind. If only that was available in real life, it wouldnt taken me 3 years of hard work to get over it!

« Last Edit: 28/01/2010 20:08:44 by daveyboy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: 28/01/2010 23:05:54 »
Daveyboy, you're saying your POIS was caused by a traumatic memory?  And you got over POIS by getting over that memory?  How did you do it?

Offline hazey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: 29/01/2010 00:50:29 »
Ive heard about this too, that POIS could just be a automatic stress response where orgasm is associated with some past stressfull event.
anyone got any info on this? Like how to pin point and get over it

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: 29/01/2010 02:41:31 »
Probably best to read my old posts for my story/opinions- start on pg265 if you're interested. sorry for keep repeating the same thing!

Actually, what you asked does bring me nicely to a subject I wanted to talk about. Hope it doesnt annoy demo too much!, but I never did explain myself too fully why I think the writings Wilhelm Reich, in my opinon, applies to POIS.

Take from this what you will but hopefully your'll find it quite interesting
I particularly found it interesting because I discovered his work AFTER I had already figured out that a childhood trauma was causing my POIS.

Wilheim Reich was a physician and psychoanalyst and a protege of Sigmund Freud.

He agreed with Freud that sexual development was the origin of ill health and mental illness.

They both believed that most psychological states were dictated by unconscious processes, that infant sexuality develops early but can be repressed, and that this has important consequences for their health. As sexual repression was the cause of the neuroses and ill health, the best cure would be to have an active, guilt-free sex life.

Reich had a theory called ‘body armouring’. He argued that unreleased psychosexual energy could produce actual physical blocks within muscles and organs, and that these act as a ‘body armour’ preventing the release of the energy. Although most didnt know it, muscles remain rigid and tense with this inhibited libido. An orgasm was one way to break through the armour. These ideas developed into a general theory of the importance of a healthy sex life to overall well-being, a theory compatible with Freud's views.

His idea was that the orgasm was not simply a device to aid recreation, but was the body's emotional energy regulator. The healthier the orgasm, the more energy was released, meaning that less was available to create neurotic states. Reich called the ability to release sufficient energy during orgasm ‘orgastic potency’, something that very few individuals could achieve, he argued, because of society's sexual oppression or upbringing. A man or woman without orgastic potency was in a constant state of tension, developing a body armour to keep it in. The outer rigidity and inner anxiety is the state of neurosis, leading to hate, sadism, greed, and at a political level, fascism and antisemitism.

Reich became more interested in his patients' physical responses during his therapy sessions, he began to treat patients outside the limits of psychoanalysis's restrictions, though well within the scope of general medicine. He began to sit next to his patients, rather than behind them, in order to make stronger 'contact.' He started touching them, to both increase awareness of tension and contraction and to relieve it directly. He would ask his male patients to undress down to their shorts, and sometimes to undress entirely, and his female patients down to their underclothes. He began talking to them, answering their questions, rather than the stock, "Why do you ask?" analyst's reponse.

From a psychoanalytic point of view, this undermined the position of neutrality. The analyst is meant to be a blank screen onto which the patient projects his old desires, his loves, his hates, his neurosis, a process known as transference. Reich wrote that the psychoanalytic taboos reinforced the neurotic taboos of the patient. He slowly broke away from them, writing that he wanted his patients to see him as human. He would press hard on their 'body armour', his thumb or the palm of his hand pressing on their jaws, necks, chests, backs, or thighs, aiming to dissolve their muscular, and thereby characterological, rigidity. He wanted to see their movements soften, their breathing ease.

This dissolution of the ‘body armour’ also brought back the repressed memory of the childhood situation that had caused the repression, he wrote. If the session worked as intended, he wrote that he could see waves of pleasure move through their bodies, a series of spontaneous, involuntary movements.

Reich called these the ‘orgasm reflex’. The two goals of Reichian therapy became the attainment of this orgasm reflex during therapy, and orgastic potency during intercourse.

Reich was all about reuniting the mind and body:
"The body's outward appearance is an accurate reflection of what's happening inside." Reich said.

Reich wanted a full-body emotional response to life. 'If you cover yourself up, may deaden pain, but also rob yourself of full joy.'
When someone inhibits an impulse they feel tension. Inhibited libido is tense muscles, sexual charm is relaxed muscles.

Reich described the 'Functions of muscular armour':

-Keeps potentially explosive emotions in
-Wards off emotions of others.
-Reich noticed men have trouble taking away armour because they are so accustomed to suppressing feelings and emotions.
-An armoured person does not feel their armour as such. Reich believed that mind-body work is necessary for people to rid themselves of this armor.
- Body armour and character armour are essentially the same. Their function is trying to protect yourself against the pain of notexpressing things that society says you may not express. Muscular armour is character armor expressed in body, muscular rigidity.
- Armouring is the sum total of the muscular attitudes which a person develops as a defense against the breakthrough of emotions, especially anxity, rage, sexual excitation. Character armour is the sum total of all the years of the muscular attituded that have also been incorporated in the person’s character.

Character armour can be reflected in life patterns.
Karen Horney, reflecting on Reich’s work, noted that people may arrange their lives to fit their character armour. Thus a severely introverted person may find an apartment in a building that is so configured that he or she need not meet or interact with neighbours, and shop at impersonal stores where minimal contact with others is necessary.

Ok, fine, but how does this help anyone with POIS?

There’s now lots of Neo-Reichian therapies such as Alexander Technique, Rolfing and Feldenekreis. (sorry)I promise this is the last time i'll mention these therapies!! but i used were alexander technique and reflexology.

In my case, as my posture improved, it became obvious to me after 6 months that i was the memory of the raw pain of an operation to have a testicle lowered that was causing the POIS- repressed memorys, for me, rose to the surface. As I came to terms with that memory of the raw pain I experienced as a child, in other words learnt to think of it without flinching, holding any part of my body, my posture and muscle structure changed dramatically and I started to release my muscles, eventually releasing the pois causing rigid muscles.

In Reich's case, he had to release the mental pain from his mum having an affair and his father dying, both when he was a kid. When he finally 'released' this mental anguish and came to terms with it his body physically changed for the better too.

but he didnt have POIS.
Ive got a real strong hunch that POIS is mainly testicle related. Maybe less on the sexual repression and more than the fact that testicles can be seen as being so hypersensitive to pain.
Not saying everybody needs to have the same operation as me to get POIS but, for me, it is too much of a coincidence that I experienced the virtually the identical symptoms as everybody else of this forum- 'classic' POIS for 10-15 years.

If its ok, Ive attached the post with Bizzy's theorys.
They interlink with my theory in a more scientific way- about the 'sticking receptors' from the testicle to the brain .
I am not a doctor or scientist but it seems VERY plausible to me- it felt so clear to me during my long recovery period AS WELL as what Reich describes as the orgasm reflex, waves, muscle rigidity etc.
I learnt that it is possible to change how these sticking receptors work.
(and would surely explain the low testosterone problem for many POIS sufferes too)

Has this group ever discussed the original incident of their POIS?

Like, did anyone's POIS here follow a specific event, like illness or stress, and then take off from there?
Actually yes, it started during a very stressful, traumatic period in my life.

i managed to figure out the main problem stemmed from the 'fear of pain' left from a childhood operation (undescended testicle lowered). I had to learn over come this.

I've attached some amazing old posts by Bizzy which I think are great and talk about the 'sticking receptors' from the testicle to the brain. It is possible to change how these receptors work.

Hi fellow POIS sufferers

Would you all post on whether you were victims of childhood abuse or trauma. I want to explore the possibility that childhood trauma maybe resposible for an adverse reaction to orgasm in later life.

( I will post about my 25 years of POIS sometime later )

I was physically abused (not sexual) as a child all the way into my teens. I thought that this may have been responsible for my depression and POIS.

Over the years I have formed the opinion that this prolonged affect is caused by 'sticking receptors' within the hypothalamus. When one has an orgasm there are hormonal and neuro-chemical changes within the hypothalamus. For example prolactin goes up and dopamine goes down. These changes in a specific area of the brain are probably responsibe for the post orgasmic fatigue in normal men. In POIS the brain chemistry of the hypothalamus fails to recover as it should. The person continues to feel fatigued and eventually starts to suffer from severe depression.
This is a condition that is not even recognized or known by the medical community. Research needs to be done to acknowledge its existance and cause. A protein that helps maintain receptor function within the hypothalamus maybe responsible for this illness.

In my mind theres little doubt that the POIS problem originates at the hypothalamus. A medication that helps better regulate the hypothalamus may provide excellent treatment.
What I have written here needs more research.

After full ejaculation or orgasm a signal is sent from the testicles to the hypothalamus for the release of GnRH. The GnRH hormone travels from the hypothalamus to the pituitary and stimulates gonadotropin release. Gonadotropins travel to the testicles and stimulate testosterone production. This system is known as the HPG axis ( hypothalmic-pituitary-gonadal axis ).
Maybe in POIS, after ejaculation, rather than the HPG axis, the HPA axis gets activated. The HPA axis ( hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal axis ) is responsible for releasing stress hormones including cortisol. This would mean that the end result after ejaculation would be more stress rather than more testosterone.

Research needs to be done as to why this axis crossover occurs.
Do you see how the adrenals are downstream from the true source of the problem, which is the hypothalamus ?

« Last Edit: 29/01/2010 04:52:33 by daveyboy »

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: 29/01/2010 16:08:31 »
istmebutwho, I also break out the more often I ejaculate.  Possibly some very bad hormonal imbalance we have?

Offline Defsync

• View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: 30/01/2010 01:08:14 »
I have a few questions:

1) I've asked this before but I think I got limited responses so I'm going to re-word it differently:  Does anybody here NOT have acne?

2) When do you normally sleep and wake up? Do you dream?

3) Do you drink any stimulants?

4) Where do you feel POIS? I know some people cannot focus the pain, but for me it seems to be localized in the back of my head

1) no acne
2) i have spinal compression in my neck, causing 1/4 muscle contraction n numbness throughout my body. as you can imagine, it is difficult to sleep at all, without sleep meds, for which i take seroquel and flexeril. on days before i have to work, i take meds at 8pm est, fall asleep around 9 to 9:30, then wake up once during the night to use the restroom, then back to sleep, wake up at 4-5am, and have to turn from sleepin on back to sideways or face down to relieve compression on my spine at my neck, and fall asleep until 6am when i wake up for work
3)with my spinal thing caffeine can cause my muscles to almost lock and sever hypertension, so HELL NO i do not drink any stimulants
4)where do i feel POIS? lol. there is no "where". my POIS is severe mental fog, memory recall impairment, and cognitive dysfunction.

hope this helps.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: 30/01/2010 04:06:50 »
I have a few questions:

1) I've asked this before but I think I got limited responses so I'm going to re-word it differently:  Does anybody here NOT have acne?

2) When do you normally sleep and wake up? Do you dream?

3) Do you drink any stimulants?

4) Where do you feel POIS? I know some people cannot focus the pain, but for me it seems to be localized in the back of my head

1) no acne
2) i have spinal compression in my neck, causing 1/4 muscle contraction n numbness throughout my body. as you can imagine, it is difficult to sleep at all, without sleep meds, for which i take seroquel and flexeril. on days before i have to work, i take meds at 8pm est, fall asleep around 9 to 9:30, then wake up once during the night to use the restroom, then back to sleep, wake up at 4-5am, and have to turn from sleepin on back to sideways or face down to relieve compression on my spine at my neck, and fall asleep until 6am when i wake up for work
3)with my spinal thing caffeine can cause my muscles to almost lock and sever hypertension, so HELL NO i do not drink any stimulants
4)where do i feel POIS? lol. there is no "where". my POIS is severe mental fog, memory recall impairment, and cognitive dysfunction.

hope this helps.

does refixil gelp reduce NE.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: 30/01/2010 04:38:38 »

Hope it doesn't annoy demo too much!, but I never did explain myself too fully why I think the writings Wilhelm Reich, in my opinon, applies to POIS.

Nope, not annoyed at all. I appreciate your fleshing out the argument, actually.

OK, I don't know if this supports your argument or not, I had an undescended testicle corrected (possibly at birth) - and recall no trauma (but I suppose that it's possible).

My 30+ years of agonizing POIS has been hugely reversed by TRT, testosterone replacement therapy, a daily dose of 15mg. In addition, I think the stimulant meds I take help.

POIS is usually relieved about 90%.

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: 30/01/2010 13:01:24 »
(I might be wrong but)
dont the testicles regulate the testosterone levels?

I definitely think I have suffered from low testosterone levels.
The reason I think this is simply in my appearance and energy levels.
Am I not 'manly' looking at all. Im 30 and still cant grow a proper beard and was one of the last to shave in my group at school.
I look really young (not necessarily in a good way1).
The students I live with seriously cant believe Im 30 and swear I am 24.
I get alot of aches and pain doing gym stuff and Ive read low testosterone levels may connect with that.
But even if testosterone levels are low in my opinion in my case its a symptom not a cause.

I have only been to the GPs twice about POIS.
The first doctor said its simply unwanted nerves being used during an orgasm and nothing to worry about...be on your way type of thing..
The second doctor about a year later took a blood test. When I went back he said looks like you've had a virus...be on your way goodbye!-didnt wanna know..
since my outside therapies were giving me some relief I didnt bother sitting and arguing with him.

Offline Porke

• View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: 30/01/2010 15:17:27 »

Quote from: goingcrazy date=1264646576
The first thing I really tried was probiotics ( I thought it was "candida" ,maybe some growth in my head? sounds crazy). 
I noticed that eating sugar and bread tremendously made me feel angry and tired, just bad.  I stopped eating most of that.  While trying probiotics, I was also trying relora.  It felt good but it also made me feel a bit too relaxed.  I haven't used relora in a while, but it was a good experience, overall beneficial.  I was taking garlic for "anti-candida" measures.  I also ordered Threelac and tried that for candida (if it was candida).  That did nothing at all.  I remember trying cranberry juice and thought that was a miracle cure.  But like demo or someone else said I think it is just the amount of sugar that is in it.

Bro, I have had the same issues to be honest. Sugar, and simple starches like bread, and pasta (over eating these) make me feel tired, lethargic, brain foggy. Many put this down to Candida infection in the gut. Garlic, Threelac, all these "hippy cures" as I call them, with roots and herbs don't do anything. There are only 2 medications that are specifically designed for these infections : Nystatin and Diflucan. I was prescribed one of them a few years back (cant remember which), and its only a single tablet. Felt great for about a month or so, and then back to normal.  It kills candida in your gut, and in your blood if it has spread.

Maybe you should give it a go.

Offline GoingCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: 30/01/2010 19:16:52 »

Quote from: goingcrazy date=1264646576
The first thing I really tried was probiotics ( I thought it was "candida" ,maybe some growth in my head? sounds crazy). 

Bro, I have had the same issues to be honest. Sugar, and simple starches like bread, and pasta (over eating these) make me feel tired, lethargic, brain foggy. Many put this down to Candida infection in the gut. Garlic, Threelac, all these "hippy cures" as I call them, with roots and herbs don't do anything. There are only 2 medications that are specifically designed for these infections : Nystatin and Diflucan. I was prescribed one of them a few years back (cant remember which), and its only a single tablet. Felt great for about a month or so, and then back to normal.  It kills candida in your gut, and in your blood if it has spread.

Maybe you should give it a go.

Yea, but you're POIS still right?  I was going to try that a few months ago but my mom thinks it will kill me haha.  Well right now I can tolerate sugars and starches I guess from my diet and less caffeine/sugar I am having.  But I am still POIS.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: 31/01/2010 02:06:26 »

(I might be wrong but)

They are the manufacturers of testosterone.

I definitely think I have suffered from low testosterone levels.

Why not test your T and get it corrected?

But even if testosterone levels are low in my opinion in my case its a symptom not a cause.

Either way, why not see an endocrinologist or two and see if TRT is right for you and can help you feel and look better, and not just for POIS? TRT has enhanced my mood significantly for the better.

I have only been to the GPs twice about POIS.
The first doctor said its simply unwanted nerves being used during an orgasm and nothing to worry about...be on your way type of thing..
The second doctor about a year later took a blood test. When I went back he said looks like you've had a virus...be on your way goodbye!-didnt wanna know..
since my outside therapies were giving me some relief I didnt bother sitting and arguing with him.

Some of these mainstream GP's make many of us here choke and scream!! They can be pathetic. The only way I know to fix that is to "take charge" and be prepared to fire them.

Good for you for not "bother[ing] sitting and arguing".
« Last Edit: 31/01/2010 02:11:35 by demografx »

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: 31/01/2010 19:15:52 »
yeah, maybe i should, im alot healthier now though, think im ok now, should have done it the past prehaps

(I might be wrong but)

They are the manufacturers of testosterone.

why do you think you have low testosterone?
do you have your own theory?
« Last Edit: 01/02/2010 01:03:37 by daveyboy »

Offline Pablo445

• View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: 31/01/2010 20:55:40 »
Lyme disease - Not! But maybe psychosomatic? Oh! The unacceptable "P" word!

I received my Lyme Disease test few week ago and it came out negative. So that is another idea going to the round file. At least for me.

Now I am looking at a very different type of explanation. Please no screaming in the room...  I am looking at the possibility of a psychosomatic disorder. I know, I know... The symptoms are physical and very real. But it still can be caused by an emotional response. This is precisely what psycho-somatic means: a physical reaction caused by a psychological event. It does not say it is imaginary, or that it is happening in your mind - it actually specifies it is happening in the body.  I know it happens to me all the time. I got a letter from an attorney last week. My heart went pounding very fast, my mouth became dry, my breathing was faster and my digestive system went crazy for several days. Yet  I was not in any real danger - I was simply reading words on a page. That was a physical effect from an emotional response. And it was greatly exaggerated and unreasonable; all the document was saying is that someone wanted me to be aware of a court case. Nothing against me and nothing to respond. But it clearly got connected in my mind with a court case that "did" bother me a lot few years ago. Back to POIS: it is very real but that does not mean the cause is not emotional/mental.

I realize it may sound like a regression since few doctors finally declared that POIS is NOT in our heads. But I want to leave no stones unturned and I will be looking into this very deeply. I'll report back. http://www.unlearnyourpain.com   Personally I could be the poster model for MBS (Mind Body Syndrome) but again that does not mean it can help me with POIS. Dr Schubiner's book should be out this month and he told me the entire program is in the book with a CD for meditations too. At least it could help us feel better about life in general I think. And less anxious. That by itself would be worth much more than the $25 for the book.

Has this been explored by anyone here?

Offline pedro05

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6645 on: 31/01/2010 22:01:38 »
Hello everybody

My name is Pedro, i am 24 years old and also have POIS.
I have found this forum by accident a while ago, some months, maybe a year.
I read this first page and i was relief that i finally found some information about this terrible condition.
I must confess i didn't read much after the first page.
I had a alcohol problem some years ago, and i didn't had pois before that so i believed my pois problem was a consequence of that,
and i pursued my own research on pois, believing it was a neurological problem.
I, like many of you, experimented many drugs and treatments in search for a cure.
In my research i found a new Alzheimer’s disease drug called cerebrolysin capable of
exerting a "nerve growth factor like" effect.
You have a good review here: newbielink:http://wiseyoung.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/271/ [nonactive]
i took cerebrolysin 5ml a day for 15 days then i increased it to 10ml for 5 days then i did the withdrawal, 5ml for 3 or 4 days then a shot day yes, day not for 4 days(it was enough for me)

My symptoms before cerebrolysin:

crashed completely after orgasm:
inability to concentrate,
depression,
sore throat (sometimes), ....

that lasted for 2 full days

After cerebrolysin i still have symptoms but they are much weaker and only last a few hours after orgasm(6~8 hours)
ATTENTION i'm not talking of a symptoms treatment(like the other cures you have in the forum)
i'm talking of a CURE, a permanent one, that i tested after stopped taking cerebrolysin (some days after)

I hope you all can replicate my findings. If you have questions or doubts, fell free to ask

Best wishes!!!

Offline prism

• View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: 31/01/2010 22:48:20 »
pablo,
learning from a book... mmm...cant see it working myself.. but obviously it might be worth ago(?)
did you restart feldenkrais or anything down that route?
what did your alexander teacher say about your posture, psychology and everything?
didnt it ever get you 'out of trouble' from POIS episode at least as a short term fix? Ive never left a session still in POIS but I accept some teachers I tried werent as good as others.
it was the only therapy i tried that seems to 'diffuse' pois effects including acupuncture, even reflexolgy doesnt get you out of pois.

just curious.

i guess the reason im curious is not because im on some manic mission to promote this therapy (!hee it's true!) but its because for MANY YEARS i used to wonder if I was the only person on the planet with this problem, and rationally thought probably not..
but I must be the ONLY PERSON that goes to A.T for it...
...but no! then i discover this forum and there's you with the same problem and went to the same therapy for it..but you gave it up..

so thats why curious and keen to hear all what you make of Alexander technique really and whether you think Im right to recommend it for POIS?

« Last Edit: 01/02/2010 00:53:48 by daveyboy »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: 01/02/2010 05:18:20 »

why do you think you have low testosterone?

I've done numerous blood tests under the supervision of a top endocrinologist at a major world-class university medical research facility.

Tests included Bioavailable Testosterone, Free Testosterone, Total Testosterone, Sex Hormone Globulin Binding (SHGB).

I've posted all the specific results here previously, before and after treatment.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: 01/02/2010 05:20:24 »

pedro05, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: 01/02/2010 05:27:30 »
pedro05, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: almost 3 years' worth of posts (nearly 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6649 on: 01/02/2010 05:27:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length