The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)  (Read 6457386 times)

Offline prism

• View Profile
Re: Post Orgasmic Illness Syndrome (POIS)
« Reply #6650 on: 01/02/2010 11:57:43 »
demo,
sorry i didnt mean it like that, i meant like 'why' as in any theories why it may be low?
e.g upbringing, stress?, diet growing up or something, genetics, posture, structural damage, nerve etc.

nah i just wondered if you had your own theory on your POIS reasons/ etc.
dont worry if not
« Last Edit: 01/02/2010 12:00:28 by daveyboy »

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: 02/02/2010 09:45:38 »
Hey guys,
I've found this place like a bit over a year ago, been just reading and stuff.
I'm 19 and pretty sure i have pois.  however sometimes, i'm just not sure...
Once i start abstaining i start thinking the pois effects are all in my mind.   But then again, it does improve my quality of life by sooo much.  This place may just have saved my life o_o.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: 02/02/2010 10:55:53 »
Has anyone had their homocysteine or B12 levels checked in POIS? Sunday night I took 1000mg of B12 to see if it would help my insomnia. That night I had an NE, and the following morning I felt fine (plus I did sleep better). I took another 1000mcg that morning, and didn't have any POIS at all during the day. Earlier I had reported that I thought spinach helped my POIS. I am wondering if maybe it's folic acid assisted in B12 absorption. The only other significant change that might have had influence is that I have been eliminating bread from my diet, replacing it with veggies.
« Last Edit: 08/02/2010 21:29:42 by John21 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: 02/02/2010 17:24:30 »
Lyme disease - Not! But maybe psychosomatic? Oh! The unacceptable "P" word!

I received my Lyme Disease test few week ago and it came out negative. So that is another idea going to the round file. At least for me.

Now I am looking at a very different type of explanation. Please no screaming in the room...  I am looking at the possibility of a psychosomatic disorder. I know, I know... The symptoms are physical and very real. But it still can be caused by an emotional response. This is precisely what psycho-somatic means: a physical reaction caused by a psychological event. It does not say it is imaginary, or that it is happening in your mind - it actually specifies it is happening in the body.  I know it happens to me all the time. I got a letter from an attorney last week. My heart went pounding very fast, my mouth became dry, my breathing was faster and my digestive system went crazy for several days. Yet  I was not in any real danger - I was simply reading words on a page. That was a physical effect from an emotional response. And it was greatly exaggerated and unreasonable; all the document was saying is that someone wanted me to be aware of a court case. Nothing against me and nothing to respond. But it clearly got connected in my mind with a court case that "did" bother me a lot few years ago. Back to POIS: it is very real but that does not mean the cause is not emotional/mental.

I realize it may sound like a regression since few doctors finally declared that POIS is NOT in our heads. But I want to leave no stones unturned and I will be looking into this very deeply. I'll report back. http://www.unlearnyourpain.com   Personally I could be the poster model for MBS (Mind Body Syndrome) but again that does not mean it can help me with POIS. Dr Schubiner's book should be out this month and he told me the entire program is in the book with a CD for meditations too. At least it could help us feel better about life in general I think. And less anxious. That by itself would be worth much more than the $25 for the book.

Has this been explored by anyone here?
sounds interesting, have you read dr sarno's book as a start.
I am interested in your results.   
« Last Edit: 02/02/2010 17:37:40 by CCconfucius »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: 03/02/2010 01:28:58 »

demo,
sorry i didnt mean it like that, i meant like 'why' as in any theories why it may be low?
e.g upbringing, stress?, diet growing up or something, genetics, posture, structural damage, nerve etc.

nah i just wondered if you had your own theory on your POIS reasons/ etc.
dont worry if not

daveyboy, testosterone declines with age, but apart from that I didn't really delve into the "why" of my low testosterone.

Here at the forum, at least in the early days, we arrived at a consensus that POIS is most probably endocrine-related, and that the best way to start was to get blood-tested for possible hormone imbalances, preferably with an endocrinologist.

I followed that path and it led to a satisfactory cure for me.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: 03/02/2010 01:30:54 »

silverandcol, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: 03/02/2010 01:34:18 »

silverandcol, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: almost 3 years' worth of posts (nearly 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: 03/02/2010 01:39:36 »

In about 2 weeks, on February 18, it will be our 3rd year anniversary of the POIS thread of the Naked Science Forum, starting with the very first post by John21!

Confetti throwing is permitted. But only in the lobby, please. Thanx. ;D

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: 03/02/2010 07:21:59 »
Hello everybody

My name is Pedro, i am 24 years old and also have POIS.
I have found this forum by accident a while ago, some months, maybe a year.
I read this first page and i was relief that i finally found some information about this terrible condition.
I must confess i didn't read much after the first page.
I had a alcohol problem some years ago, and i didn't had pois before that so i believed my pois problem was a consequence of that,
and i pursued my own research on pois, believing it was a neurological problem.
I, like many of you, experimented many drugs and treatments in search for a cure.
In my research i found a new Alzheimer’s disease drug called cerebrolysin capable of
exerting a "nerve growth factor like" effect.
You have a good review here: http://wiseyoung.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/271/
i took cerebrolysin 5ml a day for 15 days then i increased it to 10ml for 5 days then i did the withdrawal, 5ml for 3 or 4 days then a shot day yes, day not for 4 days(it was enough for me)

My symptoms before cerebrolysin:

crashed completely after orgasm:
inability to concentrate,
depression,
sore throat (sometimes), ....

that lasted for 2 full days

After cerebrolysin i still have symptoms but they are much weaker and only last a few hours after orgasm(6~8 hours)
ATTENTION i'm not talking of a symptoms treatment(like the other cures you have in the forum)
i'm talking of a CURE, a permanent one, that i tested after stopped taking cerebrolysin (some days after)

I hope you all can replicate my findings. If you have questions or doubts, fell free to ask

Best wishes!!!
how long have you been off cerebrolysin, have you tested it again.  i have read about it extensively for the last two days, its not clear that effects are permanent from cerebrolysin.  some people need to do a cycle every 3 to 6 months to maintain effectiveness. others who use it as a nootropic need to use it every day.
where did you get meds from?, i cant find anything that looks reliable. I'm in USA

Offline matsoda

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: 03/02/2010 12:25:40 »
Hi all,

I have suffered from delibatating POIS symptoms as described on this forum for almost 20 years now. It's been a long road and i have tried just about everything to understand it and find relief with very little effect. I ended up avoiding any sexual stimulation altogether.

For what it's worth, i recently found that my POIS symptoms have all but disappeared! It seems that when i consume 50mls of Olive Leaf Extract daily, and extra taken slowly (for 1-2hrs) post orgasm.. my symptoms have all gone. The relief has been consistant and 100% repeatable.

This is my genuine personal experience. Maybe it can help somebody else here.

Kind regards
Darren

PS. Anything liquid you can get from your local health food store should do fine. The recommended dose for the brand i am using is 5ml taken 3x Daily, but my results have come from taking 50ml (mixed in 500ml of pure water) consumed over the day. I also consume another 30mls with water post orgasm. It's not that hard to put it in your water bottle. It's totally natural and from what i have read there is no risk of overdosing, but please do you own research to check that it's safe at these doses.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6660 on: 03/02/2010 18:03:51 »
Hi all,

I have suffered from delibatating POIS symptoms as described on this forum for almost 20 years now. It's been a long road and i have tried just about everything to understand it and find relief with very little effect. I ended up avoiding any sexual stimulation altogether.

For what it's worth, i recently found that my POIS symptoms have all but disappeared! It seems that when i consume 50mls of Olive Leaf Extract daily, and extra taken slowly (for 1-2hrs) post orgasm.. my symptoms have all gone. The relief has been consistant and 100% repeatable.

This is my genuine personal experience. Maybe it can help somebody else here.

Kind regards
Darren

PS. Anything liquid you can get from your local health food store should do fine. The recommended dose for the brand i am using is 5ml taken 3x Daily, but my results have come from taking 50ml (mixed in 500ml of pure water) consumed over the day. I also consume another 30mls with water post orgasm. It's not that hard to put it in your water bottle. It's totally natural and from what i have read there is no risk of overdosing, but please do you own research to check that it's safe at these doses.
what do you mean pure water and do you drink the 50ml right after orgasm and drink the other 30ml on the next day.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: 03/02/2010 18:58:08 »
can pedro, silveracol, and matsoda, describe their pois symptoms and history with pois pls
« Last Edit: 04/02/2010 07:18:29 by CCconfucius »

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: 03/02/2010 19:16:52 »

matsoda, welcome to the POIS thread of The Naked Science Forum!

Here are some POIS resources which may be helpful to you:

Our new POIS Information Website, built by "mat780", is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/POISwebsite/

Please see "B_Jim"'s POIS Summary of All Cases, here as well as others on the Web. This includes remedies that we have tested, and results.
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=6576.msg149009#msg149009

"Girlwind" has created an excellent POIS Video:

And filling out the POIS survey created by "Counterpoints" will enable you to share POIS information and details with others here. This will also enable us to work more easily with outside researchers by having more organized data available about us:
http://pois.olympe-network.com/

POIS Research Study

We have a copy of the first and only formal medical investigation on POIS by Dr. Marcel Waldinger,MD and Dr. Dave Schweitzer, MD.

There are 2 ways to get it: (1) if you want a PDF copy, send me a Private Message (PM) with your regular email address (use "AT" instead of "@" ) and I'll send you back the PDF. Or, if you prefer, (2) I can simply reply with a Private Message (no regular email needed) and provide you with a simple text version embedded in your PM.

To send a Private Message, click on "Messages" at the top of this page. At the Messages page, click on "New Message". From that point on, it works just like posting a message here, except that it only goes to the person(s) you designate.

Remember to put a quote around my name, i.e., "demografx".

New York Times article,

January 20, 2009
Mind
Sex and Depression: In the Brain, if Not the Mind
By RICHARD A. FRIEDMAN, M.D.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/health/views/20mind.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=friedman%20sexual%20January%2020&st=cse

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In addition to serving our own informational interests, the resources listed above can be useful for you to show the medical world - which often shows little understanding and is sometimes skeptical of our condition - that POIS has scientific underpinnings and that POIS is not "just another psychological problem" related to sex - to be treated by the psychiatric/psychotherapist community. This can help fight the immediate reaction of some: IT'S NOT "ALL IN OUR HEADS"!

Also, it can be helpful when dealing with medical professionals to point out the successful existence of our rapidly growing forum for nearly 3 years, which has attracted over 150 POIS sufferers worldwide who have posted here, plus well over 500,000 page visits. Not bad for a rare malady!

Offline demografx

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: 03/02/2010 19:17:45 »

matsoda, this post will help you find information about POIS that we have already discussed, by tailoring a Google search to this forum:

SEARCH THE FORUM WITH GOOGLE

We have an overwhelming amount of data: almost 3 years' worth of posts (nearly 7,000 posts!) from 150+ Forum members, and an additional 150 POIS sufferers found elsewhere on the Internet by Member B_Jim.

In the Google search box, type
whatever-it-is-you're-interested-in-finding-out[space]POIS[space]site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

for example, I tried
demografx POIS site:http://thenakedscientists.com/

and 1,000+ results came up for "demografx" within the Forum.

be careful with spaces (you can use them before the word "site") and no-spaces (everything after the word "site")

Google even provides you results with the Message# for each result. But Message #'s do change, so be patient and look for the approximate Message#.

Offline Limejuice

• View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: 03/02/2010 22:49:33 »
Hi matsoda,

When you stop taking the extract, does POIS reoccur?

Offline silverandcol

• View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: 04/02/2010 05:52:22 »
wow interesting matsado, so I just take olive extract right after orgasm, and the symptoms disappear?
seems too good to be true.
Regarding my pois history, I'm not sure when it began, maybe about 5 years ago? I just started taking notice like 2 years ago, I was never too sure though until I found this sight.  I went to my doctor claiming thyroid problems, but that was dismissed.  My pois symptoms hit the day after orgasm.  My hands feel weird, head feels really cloudy, and really sensitive to stuff.  By that I mean sound, pain, taste.  Its really hard to tolerate stuff.  It last about a week, then it slowly fades.  I'm not sure if i experienced complete healing before, because the longest I've abstained from masturbation is like 1 month.  I don't think thats enough time for a full heal, but who knows.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: 04/02/2010 07:20:29 »
lauracostis, i was just wondering how you get your ldn, is it through a doctor, if it is what type.

Offline hazey

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: 04/02/2010 08:59:43 »
Who gets tightness & ache in back/hips/pubic/tailbone during POIS

Im on day 3 since ejaculation and my lower back, hips, lower pelvic groin and tailbone is really tight and aches. For example if i was to sit down my tailbone would hurt.

Does anyone else get this pain? Is it related to my hormone imbalance due to exhaustion or do I have to do what dr lin suggests and vacuum cup those areas to remove the congestion.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: 04/02/2010 10:27:47 »
Had another NE last night, this morning I feel great so far. I am attributing it to either the B12 that I took earlier in the week or being gluten free for a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2010 10:29:28 by John21 »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: 04/02/2010 18:10:59 »
Had another NE last night, this morning I feel great so far. I am attributing it to either the B12 that I took earlier in the week or being gluten free for a couple of weeks.
what do you mean by great, 100% or less than that.

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: 04/02/2010 18:13:52 »
Who gets tightness & ache in back/hips/pubic/tailbone during POIS

Im on day 3 since ejaculation and my lower back, hips, lower pelvic groin and tailbone is really tight and aches. For example if i was to sit down my tailbone would hurt.

Does anyone else get this pain? Is it related to my hormone imbalance due to exhaustion or do I have to do what dr lin suggests and vacuum cup those areas to remove the congestion.

in my lower back i get, burns and wierd tingling sensation, but it dosent happen all the time.
And i will stay away from dr lin if i were you, i tried his product and it was a definate BS.
« Last Edit: 04/02/2010 18:16:11 by CCconfucius »

Offline CertainlyPOIS

• View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: 04/02/2010 20:00:32 »
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=28171&st=40
a great personal post on cerebrolysin from russianbear
For bjim noting similarity in pois and drug users.
cerbrolysin helped in drug recovery.
not approved by usda so getting in us will be hard.

Offline John21

• View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: 04/02/2010 21:54:42 »
CConfucius,
what do you mean by great, 100% or less than that.

100%, and it stayed that way all day, :)!

Offline pedro05

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: 04/02/2010 22:47:03 »
Hello lauracostis

i tested it again several times and i'm ABSOLUTELY confident i'm better!!
you searched for cerebrolysin on the web and the results you found are of people
with neurodegenerative disorders. of course they have to redo the cycles every few months because
they have neurodegeneration and theirs neurons continue to die, (cerebrolysin it's not a cure for
alzheimer's , etc, it simply slows it down) and how does cerebrolysin exerts its effects??
it has a "nerve grow factor like" effect! this stuff actually grows new neurons!! and at a high level :)
I belive POIS is a neurological problem, and that cerebrolysin can cure it by growing new neurons in the right place!!
i still have POIS but in a much lower degree.
In my case, POIS was definetly neurological.
I hope everybody can replicate my findings and get relief of this horrible conditon!!
i think cerebrolysin is in fase 3 trials in the usa.
i found it in online pharmacies 100$ for 5X5ml. Very expensive :((
I'm in europe, i bought it in the local farmacy.(with presciption)
 (25Euros for 5x10ml)
If you all have any questions, ask!

Best regards

Best regards

Offline lauracostis

• View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: 04/02/2010 22:51:12 »
lauracostis, i was just wondering how you get your ldn, is it through a doctor, if it is what type.
i got it from my regular doctor, he did not know about ldn or have any experience with it, he needed to be told about it.  naltrexone comes in 25 and 50mg tablets, to get a 4.5mg pill you need to take you prescription to a compounding farmacy.  the clarity of my mind and reduction of my symptoms has surpassed my expectations.  i am haveing ne's only about once every 5 weeks, they are extremely mild.  the last one only happend after i reduced my dosage for 2 days as kind of an experiment.  most people cant tolerate starting at the target dose of 4.5mg. i am at 4mg and will raise it to 4.5 on my next doctors visit.  under 3mgs was totaly ineffective for me. i would get a prescription for 3mg and bump it up .5mg every two weeks or faster if you can tolerate it.
 good luck, really hope someone else gives it a try.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6674 on: 04/02/2010 22:51:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums